Maxpoint Interactive

Updated Nov 25, 2014
Updated Nov 25, 2014

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive.

Applied online and got a call from HR. One of the worst interviews I have ever attended. Total waste of four hours. Interviewers have very high opinion of themselves and were playing with their cell phones during the interview. I wouldn't recommend this company to anyone. If this was the experience potential employee I cant imagine how they would be treating their current employees.

Interview Questions

The way they treated their potential employers in the interview process. I am glad I did not accept.

Data Scientist Interview

My initial contact was via phone interview. It was fairly routine. I was asked to interview in person about a week later. A few days ahead of time I was given a very open-ended case study to prepare. My interview began with me presenting my solution to about a dozen people. I felt very comfortable presenting and they asked reasonable and appropriately challenging questions that focused more on the general approach than on technical details. I spent a few more hours in one-on-one or small group interviews. Overall my experience was positive and the interview was very balanced in terms of me answering questions and me learning from them about the company. I felt the interviewers were engaged and giving me their full attention, unlike some experiences others have related.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive.

Applied online and was contacted after a week. A phone interview followed by a onsite interview. The WORST interview experience I ever had. They have a very rude attitude . I know they make the rules, however that is still no excuse to be disrespectful and rude to interview candidates. Respect is a two way street and the rudeness gives you insight as to how that employer is possibly treating their employees and I certainly wouldn't want to work with such disrespectful and rude people.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing in particular they were busy playing with their phones and sending texts to each other.   Answer Question

Statistical Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive in September 2014.

I applied online, set up a phone interview a couple of days later. The phone interview was absurd; I'm sure the interviewer had made up her mind before I answered my phone. Very disinterested and condescending, I would imagine she was just trying to hit her quota. 2 months later the job is still open, so I would imagine that I wasn't the only person she did this to.

Devops Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive in August 2014.

Brief phone interview with 3rd party recruiter. Within a few days an onsite interview was scheduled with lead of operations and head of DevOps. After this another interview was scheduled to meet with two from DevOps team and One developer.

First onsite interview was great. Seemed like everyone was excited about their job and opportunity there. Favorable view of company thus far. Lasted just over an hour.

Second onsite technical interview was odd. Typical tell us about yourself type of questions, some technology questions and some coding questions. This interview was 3 people for nearly an hour each. No one could really speak to the work at hand or what the goals of the company were and everyone seemed to ask questions as if I had to measure up against them. Not my cup of tea.

Questions weren't difficult at all. Asking about common issues experienced on Windows and Linux, mostly trivial stuff. Some coding examples were expected on the white board. Regex, hashes, arrays so on and so forth.

Left disappointed. I felt there is a disconnect between what potential there is and how they can achieve that potential. It seems to me they just feel they need more of the same to try and get more work done. This was also the first interview in my life where I basically didn't answer some questions. I've never done that before but I guess one side of me wanted to drag it on just to see exactly what it was they were looking for since it didn't really match what one would call a DevOps role. After the first person interviewed me, I sent a message to withdraw my application to the recruiter.

They were courteous though and contacted me to say that they were looking for someone with more developer experience. At that point, I knew there was a major disconnect between recruiting and the company since my withdrawal was obviously never submitted. First interviews were pleasant, technical interviews were a downer.

With all that said, not every place is a match for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • How would you show a value from an array such as a =>100 b-> 200 value in meta code?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive.

Applied online and heard from HR about 2 months later. Then I had a screening interview with the Senior HR recruiter. After that I had a skype video conference interview with two managers on the team. Then a round of in-person interviews with five different people. Each interview was approximately one week apart. Final round interview with the Vice President of Analytics. Everyone was very professional and friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Actually, really straight forward. Some mathy/logic questions, but surprisingly not difficult.   Answer Question
    I did not negotiate the offer was fair.

Senior Product Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Research Triangle Park, NC

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive.

As I lived far from the office, I first interviewed with 5-6 staff by phone, followed by a day of in-person interviews in NC. The interviews were coordinated via HR from another state, and, despite several locations involved, all interviews were well organized and on time.
    The staff were engaged, interested in both sharing information about the company and asked thoughtful questions about my experience and how it would benefit the company. I spoke with a variety of staff from the product. marketing and content marketing areas, several of whom came to the interview with prepared questions.
    I was impressed with how engaged each person was in their role and how it added to company value, they were enthusiastic about company performance and growth as well. I felt the interview process, the staff and the environment reflected a smart, forward-thinking company committed to success without sacrificing valuing its people.
    The hiring process was well managed through both NC and TX, with very fast response times to any inquiries and every attempt made to meet any requests. Terms and limitations were clearly presented and understood as well.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to explain strategically what I would do when I take an idea, which has come from or been validated by several clients to management and it is rejected.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive in May 2014.

I interviewed with Maxpoint Interactive twice (once in 2011 another in 2014). You can definitely see the great improvement with the interview process and the company. In 2011 I applied for the position and came in for an in-person interview with three executives. I was asked basic questions about my background and working style. The process took about a week and in the end I was not offered a position.

In 2014 I saw that the company had grown in a positive way. A recruiter reached out to me about applying for a position. The interview process was very straight forward and very accommodating. I began with a brief phone screening to discuss my background and to learn more about what Maxpoint had to offer. I was then offered to come in for an in-person interview with three supervisors on the Account Management team. This took an hour and I had a chance to learn more about the culture, and the duties required for the Account Management role.

Someone quickly followed up with me within 48 hours to come in for a third and final interview. I was going to be out of town, but they were more than willing to work around my schedule. The final interview lasted approximately three hours. I met with two Account management team members, Skyped in with two Account Management supervisors, and a final meeting with the Director of Account Management. All of the questions were straight forward and everyone was very open to answering all of my questions. A small project was included in the interview process to give you a taste of the type of work and skills needed for the job -- which was really great.

In the end I received an offer and accepted. The company culture, and benefits are great as well!

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to speak truthfully about your work style.   Answer Question
    The offer, with benefits, exceeded my expectations so there was no need for negotiation.

Senior Systems Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive in April 2014.

I spoke with the talent and acquisition manager at Maxpoint over the phone after submitting a resume to them. The phone interview with him was very pleasant. He didn't ask anything out of the ordinary and proceeded to schedule an on-site interview with me the following week at the Austin office.

I got there during lunch hour, so nobody was at the door to greet me. You need to have an access card to enter the office, however I rang the door-bell, and someone let me in while I waited in the lounge. They offered a beverage, and sat me in one of the conference rooms where I waited. I had to figure out how to answer the web conference call as the first person I spoke with was in North Carolina. The Director of IT was very pleasant and asked a few questions about my prior experience.

They then introduced me to their current systems administrator. He was very professional and proceeded to ask a few not out-of-the-ordinary questions regarding some of the technologies they use. This position called for MS Exchange experience, but primarily Linux and database clustering experience, which I've had, but not as extensive as the requirements for this position. I showed him a few network diagrams of past work, along with photos of the infrastructure I supported, and explained some of the previous network administration experience I've had; however, I don't think I came across as having much experience working on large infrastructures such as theirs (he indicated they are supporting up to 750 servers which were all managed by him, for the most part).

I was then introduced to the big guy, their CTO. He was one of the cofounders, and he explained a little more about the company and the technology that they use, and was pretty frank with me indicating that I needed a little more training to be considered for this opportunity.

All-in-all, the interview process was very pleasant.

Negatives:

Some of the things that did not sit very well with me were the number of hours per week and lack of vacation. I asked what a typical work week looked like, and the answer I received was anywhere from 60-80 hours a week, and minimal vacation mainly due to the fact they didn't have any backup support. They also do not offer any kind of continued education reimbursement. They do not use any managed services - everything is managed in-house.

Positives:

You would get some unbelievable experience managing a database cluster of 750 servers using Hadoop, networking across multiple data centers and sites, and multiple Exchange servers. They also indicated they were migrating away from Sonicwall NSA's to all Cisco networking gear. This company is growing at an unbelievable pace.

I would have loved to work in this environment, but I was passed over. They were very professional and will send you a notice if you didn't get the job.

Interview Questions
    • Some of the unexpected questions were mainly related to some of my previous experience. I didn't really come-off as explaining my past on-premise based Exchange server configuration to their Director of IT very well, limited experience managing Cisco equipment, and no experience with Hadoop was probably the deciding factor. And I probably failed to explain some of the network diagrams that I showed them.

I should have indicated that the SPF record in DNS would have allowed E-mail to be sent from multiple trusted IP addresses.

Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Morrisville, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Maxpoint Interactive in April 2014.

When I first got a call from the recruiter, we completely hit it off! She raved about her experience and informed me that the company is growing so rapidly and expanding into different cities. It seemed like a no-brainer to jump on board at this time! The experience only got better from there. I had two Skype interviews where I learned about the accounts that MaxPoint works with and the campaigns that have been produced. I was thrilled to hear about the creative work environment (breakout rooms, snacks in the kitchen, etc.), and the supportive, collaborative team feel. The management at MaxPoint made me feel like they really WANTED me to join the team! They were responsive and very helpful in answering questions about the area, where to live, what to see, where to eat, etc. for relocation. I was even able to grab a bite with my new boss which was really helpful to get to know her and learn more about the position. As if this wasn't enough to convince me, I got my formal offer letter and the benefits were beyond anything I had before (potential for quarterly bonus, company-paid insurance premiums, retirement options, opportunity to purchase stock, etc.)! Of course, I said yes!!

Interview Questions
    • There were no surprises in the interview questions. I appreciated that my interviewers tried to get to know me as a person to understand if I would be a good fit for the company. I had studied (and I still recommend doing so to get a good idea of what the company does), and was anticipating questions about digital campaign management. It wasn't until the in-person interview that the true "test" came. I had 45 minutes to answer five prompts. A few of the prompts included: 1) calculate the CTR and analyze trends; 2) you made a colossal mistake, write an email to the COO of the company; 3) provide feedback to this creative ad submitted by one of your clients. Thought I didn't know all of the correct answers, I believe they were more interested in understanding the thought process and composure (soft skills), rather than the hard, teachable skills!   Answer Question
    After going through the process, you will know if it's the right company for you! I don't think the salary is negotiable, but it was enough to satisfy my needs. Also, the opportunity to earn a quarterly bonus will amazing!