Mayer Brown

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Docket Clerk Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Mayer Brown.

Interview Details – Interview was relatively easy. I was asked many questions about my background and had to complete several tests.

Assistant Director of Business Development Interview

Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayer Brown in July 2012.

Interview Details – Recruiter approached me about position, which led to a phone interview and then an in-person interview with HR manager and potential supervisor.

Interview Question – Mayer Brown Director: "Your resume looks too good to be true. Can you back up the claims you make here about the amount of business you brought in?"

Me: Yes. I can give you the names of two people who will confirm my work.

Mayer Brown Director: (ignoring my answer) "The gains you list here seem impossible for any law firm marketing department to achieve, let alone document."

Me: Let me show you what we did...

Mayer Brown Director: (cutting me off) "Never mind. So if it was so great there, why did you leave?"
  Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Mayer Brown in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online and had a phone interview. During the phone interview, the employer commented on my 2 year gap in employment. I told her that I recently completed a full time MBA program. She said that I hadn't "done anything in 2 years."

Despite that, i got a face to face interview. About 5 minutes into it, they said I was overqualified. The interview ended after only 30 minutes and I never heard from them again.

Interview Question – None   Answer Question

Database/CRM Analyst Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mayer Brown in May 2012.

Interview Details – The human resources representative maintained excellent communication throughout the entire hiring process. I completed a telephone interview and was then invited to the Chicago office for an onsite interview. Again, my interview with the HR representative was fantastic. I was then interviewed by the hiring manager. The hiring manager began the interview with the following: "So, what can I do for you?" Throughout the interview, this person informed me of just about every complaint they had regarding their job. Before the interview ended, the hiring manager did praise the company as a whole as a great place to work.

Following the interview, the HR representative informed me of a delay in the hiring status for the job in question; and then emailed me to let me know I did not make the final candidate list. Other firms and recruitment agencies should take note of this type of open and relevant communication during the hiring process, as it seems to be lacking.

My experience with Mayer Brown's human resources department was excellent. My experience with the department I interviewed for was not. I would consider working for this firm in the future, provided the job resides in a different department.

Interview Question – Hiring manager began the interview with the following: "So, what can I do for you?"   View Answer

Marketing Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mayer Brown in April 2010.

Interview Details – Went through 5 of 8 interviews before they decided to change directions for the position and offered to someone at a lower level in-house. HR staff was very helpful and screening interview was standard. Senior marketers gave much more detailed interviews. Scheduling was tough.

Interview Question – How would you advise attorneys in a large firm differently from those of a smaller firm?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Summer Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Mayer Brown in September 2008.

Interview Details – Standard callback. Meet with 2 partners and 2 associates.

Interview Question – What area of law most interests you?   Answer Question

Trainee Solicitor Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Mayer Brown.

Interview Details – Fact finding exercise, written exercise, group exercise to prioritise emails and a 1 hour interview.

Interview Question – Fact finding question. Interviewees are supposed to ask an associate for as many facts as possible before coming up with a constructive advice.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation as trainee solicitor pay and benefits are fixed.

Summer Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Mayer Brown in August 2008.

Interview Details – First went through the on-campus recruiting program and had a screening interview that lasted about 30 minutes. Then I got a call to go fly to the office in New York for in-person interviews on-site. I had about 4 interviews with different people, and then lunch interviews. The whole process took about 4 hours or so. I received a call with news that I had gotten an offer about a week later.

Interview Question – Why law school?   Answer Question

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Mayer Brown? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Mayer Brown interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Mayer Brown employees and interview candidates.