Mayo Clinic Business Consulting Fellowship Interview Questions

2 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Consulting Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, MN
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in October 2012.

I interviewed for this position back in October of 2012. The first round consisted of an hour-long phone interview with a current fellow as well as a manager. I clearly identified my strengths and weaknesses and how the fellowship would allow me to leverage my background while also allowing me to fill what I felt were gaps in my education/training. My on-site interview, although not completely streamlined (I had a few hours to wander around the medical center/downtown) consisted of a panel interview, a verbal case interview with said panel, a presentation to said panel, and lunch with current consultants.

The managers and consultants were all very down to earth and clearly passionate about their work and the organization. I heard back from the organization within two weeks with a fellowship offer.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing out of the blue. Typical behavioral, fit, and case interview questions.   Answer Question

The salary, while not my biggest concern, was too low compared to other fellowship positions. The salary was around 25% below market the fellowship was an hourly position, so although I am a Millennial I did not want to restrict my learning to 40 hours per week as overtime was not allowed. Had the compensation been up to par with other fellowship programs in the Midwest (~$60K) and salaried I would've taken the position in a heart beat.

Other Interview Reviews for Mayo Clinic

Business Consulting Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Rochester, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interviewing for a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic was probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. Regardless of not being able to hear through the static and both interviewers speaking at the same time, I was never given the opportunity to highlight my strengths that would contribute to their fellowship program. Instead, I was asked specific questions from the engineer interviewer (I am a Health Care Management student), about engineering principles that were not clearly defined as qualifications for the position. I found myself defending my extensive knowledge of business operations, instead of answering his questions directly. For a fellowship program, which is supposed to be continued education, I was unprepared for the specificity of questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your use of Six Sigma. (An academic introduction to it was not enough)   Answer Question

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!