Mayo Clinic

Very Difficult Interview

Human Resources Senior Service Partner Interview

Human Resources Senior Service Partner
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2011.

Interview Details – Mayo is a fantastic employer. The interview process was difficult because it should be a two way street for the candidate to decide if it's a fit with the interviewers but because of using a structured interview format, it was impossible to tell what any of the interviewers would be like to work for. I interviewed with 14 people. It wasn't until the last panel interview that I caught on that I needed to interject my unusual skills and qualifications because the structured questions were very narrow and left little room for expansion. They do use behavioral questions which is good but the questions were way too narrow in scope and it was about 8 questions per hour. It was exhausting!

Interview Question – Tell us about a time that you had difficulty administering a federal employment law.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Speech-Language Pathologist Interview

Speech-Language Pathologist
Phoenix, AZ

Interviewed at Mayo Clinic

Interview Details – I was very impressed when I spoke with my interviewer on the phone, and excited. I was not told upfront that it would be not 1, but 3 in person interviews which was disconcerting. The interviewer was friendly and professional, but it felt as if the interview process and the entire place was very secretive. In addition to the 6 hours of interviews, I was required to submit writing samples which totaled 8 pages (one MBS report, one tx report for language patient, one for a cognitive patient, one assessment report for dysphagia patient at bedside. All of these were to be written fictitiously of course so it took some time, etc.). I was also asked to provide 3 letters of recommendation on top of references. OUTrageous! I had to ask how many more interviews after the first, and had to ask when I would hear back. I was given a date. That date came and went. I heard nothing for well over a month. I e-mailed once and left a voicemail once during that time politely requesting a response and heard nothing. I was incensed! After 6 hours spent interviewing, providing everything else that was over the top and asked of me, it would be decent to return a phone call, or to reach out personally and say it wasn't a match rather than send an HR e-mail: Thank you for applying to job number XYFU but it has been filled. Later learned they have cameras everywhere there and voice recording equipment so if you swear or do anything unprofessional you are recorded. Not the place for me, so I'm glad I didn't get the job now, but wow I never want to go through that again!

Interview Question – It was in total 6 hours of technical questions that nobody remembers from school unless you graduated yesterday. It does not mean you are not an excellent therapist. A clinician just goes back to the books when you need an answer that will help make a decision. A sample 8 questions: a patient presents with fluent aphasia, good repetition, etc. what kind of aphasia is this? I was asked this question over and over again and saw on the notepad "DNK" did not know. Strained strangled, varying pitch, poor respiratory control. Where is the lesion in the brain?!!!! Sweating bullets. DNK DNK DNK. AH! Should have given me warning was joining the military not a hospital where I could make a career and be happy   Answer Question

Systems Analyst Interview

Systems Analyst
Rochester, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 7 months - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in June 2012.

Interview Details – Way too long (7 months). Interview process pretty standard at Mayo. Come in for panel interview then only contacted if getting the offer, otherwise no communication.

Interview Question – Standard behavioral questions but worded in strange ways so they don't seem standard. Do a 10 min. presentation on yourself.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – not enough money and they were unwilling to negociate

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT Systems Engineer Interview

IT Systems Engineer

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2011.

Interview Details – I applied on the web, was contacted a few weeks later for a phone interview (one hour) and then called in for an in-person interview. It was a panel interview with the lead and several co-workers and a one on one with the manager. The interview took about 4 hours and contained both technical and behavioral questions.

Interview Question – Describe a time you had a problem with a co-worker and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – From what I understand Mayo doesn't normally negotiate but I was able to negotiate a higher salary.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Rochester, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2010.

Interview Details – They already had who they wanted to hire and everyone who gets interviewed is just part of the process. It's a formality

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you used compassion   Answer Question

Registered Nurse Resident Interview

Registered Nurse Resident
Jacksonville, FL

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in December 2012.

Interview Details – The nurse residency program interview process is rigorous. The online application begins the process. Residents are selected twice a year. Initial applications received for the posting total approximately 175-250. From this, roughly 100 are phone screened. Then 50 applicants are selected for onsite or video conference interviews. There are typically 14 total job openings across various units that need to be filled.

As other potential employees have stated, the interviews themselves are made up of behavioral questions. However, in the phone screen there were some traditional questions, e.g. Tell me about yourself?, Why do you want to work for the Mayo Clinic?, etc.

As one poster stated, time is limited in which one can ask questions of the potential hiring managers to determine an appropriate fit (i.e. do you really want to work for this person). This is a part of the interview process that needs improving.

HR sticks to their word; they will notify you one way or the other when they give a deadline for candidate selection.

As others have stated, the second round interview is 8-9 questions from a panel (the hiring managers for the various units). The questions I was asked were fairly straightforward. I did encounter two part questions that some have alluded to.

Make sure you are very familiar with the company's culture, mission, values, and current projects. Good Luck!

Interview Questions

Business Consulting Fellowship Interview

Business Consulting Fellowship
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – Interviewing for a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic was probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. Regardless of not being able to hear through the static and both interviewers speaking at the same time, I was never given the opportunity to highlight my strengths that would contribute to their fellowship program. Instead, I was asked specific questions from the engineer interviewer (I am a Health Care Management student), about engineering principles that were not clearly defined as qualifications for the position. I found myself defending my extensive knowledge of business operations, instead of answering his questions directly. For a fellowship program, which is supposed to be continued education, I was unprepared for the specificity of questions asked.

Interview Question – Explain your use of Six Sigma. (An academic introduction to it was not enough)   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Financial Representative
Rochester, MN

I applied in-person - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in September 2009.

Interview Details – They use behavioral intview questions, so prepare!

Interview Question – What do you like least about your current position   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They fought tooth and nail

Human Resources Senior Service Partner Interview

Human Resources Senior Service Partner
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in November 2011.

Interview Details – Mayo conducts a behavioral interview with a panel. Each person asks one question from a sheet, everyone takes notes. If there is time left at the end of the questions (one hours), there is an opportunity to ask questions. The questions are difficult, even if you are expecting a behavioral format. Mayo does advise you up front of the type of interviewing.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you were able to use your insight to analyze the politics of a situation and use your influence to resolve.   Answer Question

Clinical Lab Technologist Interview

Clinical Lab Technologist

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in January 2009.

Interview Details – I had a 3 person panel interview for 3 different positions. All were very friendly and accommodating. Tough interview with 6 behavorial questions. Know the history of Mayo Clinic and know the mission.

Interview Question – Do you have a personal motto?   Answer Question

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!