Mayo Clinic

3.2

Speech-Language Pathologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I was very impressed when I spoke with my interviewer on the phone, and excited. I was not told upfront that it would be not 1, but 3 in person interviews which was disconcerting. The interviewer was friendly and professional, but it felt as if the interview process and the entire place was very secretive. In addition to the 6 hours of interviews, I was required to submit writing samples which totaled 8 pages (one MBS report, one tx report for language patient, one for a cognitive patient, one assessment report for dysphagia patient at bedside. All of these were to be written fictitiously of course so it took some time, etc.). I was also asked to provide 3 letters of recommendation on top of references. OUTrageous! I had to ask how many more interviews after the first, and had to ask when I would hear back. I was given a date. That date came and went. I heard nothing for well over a month. I e-mailed once and left a voicemail once during that time politely requesting a response and heard nothing. I was incensed! After 6 hours spent interviewing, providing everything else that was over the top and asked of me, it would be decent to return a phone call, or to reach out personally and say it wasn't a match rather than send an HR e-mail: Thank you for applying to job number XYFU but it has been filled. Later learned they have cameras everywhere there and voice recording equipment so if you swear or do anything unprofessional you are recorded. Not the place for me, so I'm glad I didn't get the job now, but wow I never want to go through that again!

Interview Questions
    • It was in total 6 hours of technical questions that nobody remembers from school unless you graduated yesterday. It does not mean you are not an excellent therapist. A clinician just goes back to the books when you need an answer that will help make a decision. A sample 8 questions: a patient presents with fluent aphasia, good repetition, etc. what kind of aphasia is this? I was asked this question over and over again and saw on the notepad "DNK" did not know. Strained strangled, varying pitch, poor respiratory control. Where is the lesion in the brain?!!!! Sweating bullets. DNK DNK DNK. AH! Should have given me warning was joining the military not a hospital where I could make a career and be happy   Answer Question

Human Resources Senior Service Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2011.

Mayo is a fantastic employer. The interview process was difficult because it should be a two way street for the candidate to decide if it's a fit with the interviewers but because of using a structured interview format, it was impossible to tell what any of the interviewers would be like to work for. I interviewed with 14 people. It wasn't until the last panel interview that I caught on that I needed to interject my unusual skills and qualifications because the structured questions were very narrow and left little room for expansion. They do use behavioral questions which is good but the questions were way too narrow in scope and it was about 8 questions per hour. It was exhausting!

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a time that you had difficulty administering a federal employment law.   Answer Question

Lead Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in January 2008.

It is very difficult for an outsider (at least in Rochester) to get an interview at Mayo Clinic. They are very closed and prefer shift people from within from different departments. Whether you are from the outside or inside, you are required to do an behavioral interview. I conducted many of these interviews. They are also required to do a certain amount of interviews. On many occasions we knew exactly who was going to be hired (from the inside) but were required to do a certain number of interviews anyway. This wasted everyone's time but procedures within Mayo are required to be followed EXACTLY! Situational, behavioral questions are asked.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever experienced a time when a co-worker was acting inappropriately in the office? If so, how did you handle it?   View Answer
    • What do you consider to be a weakness of yours?   View Answer
    Completely and totally a waste of time to negotiate an offer. I had excellent references and experience and even letters from physicians from the inside sent to HR and they could have cared less.

Human Resources Senior Service Partner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in November 2011.

Mayo conducts a behavioral interview with a panel. Each person asks one question from a sheet, everyone takes notes. If there is time left at the end of the questions (one hours), there is an opportunity to ask questions. The questions are difficult, even if you are expecting a behavioral format. Mayo does advise you up front of the type of interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you were able to use your insight to analyze the politics of a situation and use your influence to resolve.   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2010.

They already had who they wanted to hire and everyone who gets interviewed is just part of the process. It's a formality

Systems Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in June 2012.

Way too long (7 months). Interview process pretty standard at Mayo. Come in for panel interview then only contacted if getting the offer, otherwise no communication.

Interview Questions
    • Standard behavioral questions but worded in strange ways so they don't seem standard. Do a 10 min. presentation on yourself.   Answer Question

not enough money and they were unwilling to negociate

Business Consulting Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interviewing for a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic was probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. Regardless of not being able to hear through the static and both interviewers speaking at the same time, I was never given the opportunity to highlight my strengths that would contribute to their fellowship program. Instead, I was asked specific questions from the engineer interviewer (I am a Health Care Management student), about engineering principles that were not clearly defined as qualifications for the position. I found myself defending my extensive knowledge of business operations, instead of answering his questions directly. For a fellowship program, which is supposed to be continued education, I was unprepared for the specificity of questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your use of Six Sigma. (An academic introduction to it was not enough)   Answer Question

Financial Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in September 2009.

They use behavioral intview questions, so prepare!

Interview Questions
    • What do you like least about your current position   View Answer
    They fought tooth and nail

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2013.

Posting process is all done via H/R department. Interview process is handled via the hiring manager, using a panel interview to help in determining best suited candidates. All interviews are behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult customer that digs their heels in, expressing their desires (for or against); when it is very clear the decision is wrong and/or detrimental?   View Answer

Emergency Room Physician Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2013.

Snail's pace between initial application and calling for interview. Interview process was all behavioral and about scenarios, along with "teamwork" questions and how to handle difficult patients.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of when you had differences with a colleague.   View Answer