Mayo Clinic

Updated Nov 4, 2014

3.2

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2013.

Posting process is all done via H/R department. Interview process is handled via the hiring manager, using a panel interview to help in determining best suited candidates. All interviews are behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult customer that digs their heels in, expressing their desires (for or against); when it is very clear the decision is wrong and/or detrimental?   View Answer

RN Nurse Residency Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Two days after application deadline, received a call for a screening interview. Interview scheduled for the following day.

Patient Care Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in June 2013.

I applied online and was contacted for a phone screen/interview 2 days later. I was contacted the same day to come in for an interview the following day. Interview went very well. Questions were behavior-based so be prepared to give specific examples and results from prior experiences. Be yourself. I was offered the position one week later.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had to motivate your team to accomplish a goal.   Answer Question

Pharmacist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Scottsdale, AZ

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in May 2013.

There was a quick response to application to schedule interview. The Pharmacy Manager and Supervisor met with me in the manager's office. I was told the hiring decision was expected in 2 weeks, but it took about 6 weeks. The final response came from HR, not the hiring supervisor who was sent follow-up thank yous and status update requests every 2-3 weeks.

Interview Questions
    • The question had to do with HIPAA and how to keep confidential information from being shared. HIPAA is "old" news. People working in hospitals are well aware of implications and fines for sharing private information.   View Answer

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in May 2013.

I am a PhD student and working on application of Computer Science in the health domain. I was interested in working Information Retrieval for health related search queries. So I contacted a researcher at the Mayo Clinic and expressed my interest. He asked for my resume, research experience and publications. The process took 2 weeks and I got the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Application of my research work in terms of projects at Mayo Clinic   Answer Question

Clinical Lab Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in April 2013.

I submitted a resume and cover letter and did an in person behavioral interview following the SHARE model. The interview panel was composed of 3 current employees and I felt very comfortable talking with them.

Interview Questions
    • Each question's response is supposed to allow you to show how you learned and grew from the experience and explaining that each time was the most difficult.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I was given all the information before hand and knew I would accept if given an offer.

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Used a behavioral interviewing approach – questions were “canned” and a team rotated through their questions. Asked questions about skills, which after being employed were never used on the job.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a stressful situation. How did you work through it?   Answer Question
    HR called made the offer and told me the salary that they were going to offer. There was not negotiation...either take it or leave it.

Emergency Room Physician Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2013.

Snail's pace between initial application and calling for interview. Interview process was all behavioral and about scenarios, along with "teamwork" questions and how to handle difficult patients.

Interview Questions
    • Give us an example of when you had differences with a colleague.   View Answer

Business Consulting Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interviewing for a fellowship at the Mayo Clinic was probably the worst interview experience I have ever had. Regardless of not being able to hear through the static and both interviewers speaking at the same time, I was never given the opportunity to highlight my strengths that would contribute to their fellowship program. Instead, I was asked specific questions from the engineer interviewer (I am a Health Care Management student), about engineering principles that were not clearly defined as qualifications for the position. I found myself defending my extensive knowledge of business operations, instead of answering his questions directly. For a fellowship program, which is supposed to be continued education, I was unprepared for the specificity of questions asked.

Interview Questions
    • Explain your use of Six Sigma. (An academic introduction to it was not enough)   Answer Question

HRIS Analyst II Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in February 2013.

HR initially contacts to request a phone interview. A phone interview was scheduled with 3 hiring managers. Following the phone interview, a face-to-face interview is scheduled. There was a panel of 4 interviewers. 2 via video conferencing and 2 in the office.

Interview consisted of standard questions. Nothing overly challenging to answer. Many redundant questions that made it difficult to demonstrate diverse skills. However, before the interview began, a meeting was held with the HR Specialist to review benefits. Also, a tour and overview of the team.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult questions. There were a lot of redundant questions that overlapped which made it difficult to really demonstrate diverse skills.   Answer Question

Salary was low.