Mayo Clinic Interview Questions in Minnesota

Updated Apr 15, 2015
Updated Apr 15, 2015

3.2

Clinical Laboratory Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and they got back to me within a few weeks. I had a panel interview setup 2-3 weeks in advance. Interview process went smoothly and they even reimburse gas/food expenses. There were 3 department supervisors who interviewed me and asked mainly behavioral questions. Questions weren't entirely tough and it helped to visit their link for interview tips.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a project you weren't familiar with? Can you describe a time when you had to use attention to detail? Why do you want to work for Mayo? There were about 10 questions total.   1 Answer

Development Technologist I Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I met with a panel of 5 people which included several administrative supervisors and the Lab Director. The interview started with a series of behavioral questions, and concluded with a 15 minute development presentation I was asked in advance to prepare. The Lab Director was engaged and asked relevant questions; however, other members of the panel were uninterested indicating someone had already been selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions around teamwork and troubleshooting.   1 Answer

Staff RN Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I am a new graduate nurse and I was invited to interview with Mayo Clinic about two weeks after I submitted my application. It was a panel interview via webcam. I was not offered the position, but I had a positive interviewing experience because I was prepared. I took the time to look over example interview questions on Mayo Clinic's website. If invited to interview, they provide you with a link for tips on how to prepare for an interview with them. It is well worth the time to look over. All of my interview questions came from that link.

Interview Questions

• What are your short-term and long-term goals?   1 Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

The application and interview process at the Mayo Clinic was not a good experience for me and from what I have read and heard a lot of good candidates share my views. I expected better from the Mayo Clinic and its reputation.

The first part of the application process seemed to be heavily weighted on my compensation expectation and not how I would be a great fit for the position and add value to the organization. I understand that a lot of companies do this as a screening exercise, but they took it beyond that.

The long panel interview I went on was not well orchestrated and the conversation did not flow well. Each of the interviewers took turns fumbling through questions and seemed disengaged in the process. I felt that my answers were detailed and showcased my skills and experience. They were also relative to the position I was apply for. I demonstrated how I could benefit the organization but the feeling I got in the room was they already choose someone for the position and they were only interviewing me to fulfill HR protocol.

What really shocked me was after more than an hour of answering panel questions regarding my skills and experience related to the position, the head of the department (who was an M.D.) asked if I had any experience pertaining to the position. This was a very strange and awkward experience.

I would recommend that the organization changes the way they screen good candidates to attract the best talent.

I was prepared to reject the offer, but I did not hear back from them until 4 or more months after the interview,,, this is unacceptable! I expected better.

I would not recommend someone pursues a career at the Mayo Clinic unless they are desperate for a job.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational type questions, i.e. Tell me a time when… Some of the questions were repetitive in nature.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

You will get an email inviting you to interview with the hiring manage and a small panel for a behavioral interview. The choices will probably be out 2-3 weeks pending on the the need for the position to be filled.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interviews are very difficult and frustrating, you need to have very specific examples for each question asked. Remember to use "I did", or "it was my idea". You dont want to use we or our team, the team wants to know why you did or how you handled a situation.   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in July 2014.

Interview

About one week after applying online for the position I received an email to set up a phone interview. I interviewed on the phone later that week with the lab supervisor and got the job offer the very next day. I was pretty surprised that there was no follow-up interview in person, but at the same time I was extremely happy the whole process went so fast.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions for a lab position, former experience, how I keep my days organized with multiple projects, etc.   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Typically there will be a panel interview, and then if selected for follow-on, a series of interviews with other managers, administrators and individuals you'll be working with/for. Can be a very long day, or two separate visits. Sometimes a one-on-one first, then a panel, then the additional one-on-ones. In Public Affairs/Communications you will have at least two supervisors due to it being a matrixed organization. Likely you may have several 'clients,' within your area of responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview, pretty typical questions. Absolutely must understand the underlying philosophy of Mayo Clinic "The Needs of the Patient Come First," and must be able to show connection to your values.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Lower offer than I was interested in, mentioned my master's degree and requested reconsideration, increased offer was satisfactory.

Informatics Specialist II Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Initial 30 minute phone screening followed by a day long on-site interview. On-site interview included individual interviews with several people as well as a panel type interview with a small group. The interviews are behavioral interviews where they want you to explain your answers using examples from your own work. I found the interviews thorough and well organized. There is a definitely hierarchy in place in the culture. It seemed like it would be a very intellectually challenging place to work which is what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, the salary offered didn't meet my requirements.

Salary requirements weren't met.

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in May 2014.

Interview

Panel interview, behavioral interview questions and 4-6 people are on the panel that are in varying positions. Review your education and job experience with the panel. Share your strengths/weaknesses. Ask lots of questions about the job including what a day would look like if you were already doing the job.

Interview Questions

• Give us an example of a time you had a confrontation with a co-worker or your supervisor and how did you resolve it? Behavior questions that you answer and discuss your resume-education and job experience.   Answer Question

Staff Nurse Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Three hour interview, Typical questions. Tour of the units

Interview Questions

• Give an example of a difficult situation with another employee.   Answer Question