Mayo Clinic

Relevance Date Difficulty

Supervisor Interview

Supervisor
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – You will get an email inviting you to interview with the hiring manage and a small panel for a behavioral interview. The choices will probably be out 2-3 weeks pending on the the need for the position to be filled.

Interview Question – Behavioral interviews are very difficult and frustrating, you need to have very specific examples for each question asked. Remember to use "I did", or "it was my idea". You dont want to use we or our team, the team wants to know why you did or how you handled a situation.   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Communications Consultant
Rochester, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – Typically there will be a panel interview, and then if selected for follow-on, a series of interviews with other managers, administrators and individuals you'll be working with/for. Can be a very long day, or two separate visits. Sometimes a one-on-one first, then a panel, then the additional one-on-ones. In Public Affairs/Communications you will have at least two supervisors due to it being a matrixed organization. Likely you may have several 'clients,' within your area of responsibility.

Interview Question – Behavioral interview, pretty typical questions. Absolutely must understand the underlying philosophy of Mayo Clinic "The Needs of the Patient Come First," and must be able to show connection to your values.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Lower offer than I was interested in, mentioned my master's degree and requested reconsideration, increased offer was satisfactory.

Staff Nurse Interview

Staff Nurse
Rochester, MN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – Three hour interview, Typical questions. Tour of the units

Interview Question – Give an example of a difficult situation with another employee.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Rochester, MN

I applied through other source and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – Initially sent a letter of inquiry directly to the principle investigator I wished to work with. That followed by a response from them, a phone interview that was very informal. I was flown out for presentations and that day offered a position.

Interview Question – Mostly scientifically oriented questions from the crowd during the interview day at Mayo Clinic. Everything else was very cordial.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – As a postdoctoral fellow, salary is not very negotiable, but a moving stipend was supplied and the start date was negotiable as well.

Clinical Lab Scientist Interview

Clinical Lab Scientist
Rochester, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in April 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted a resume and cover letter and did an in person behavioral interview following the SHARE model. The interview panel was composed of 3 current employees and I felt very comfortable talking with them.

Interview Question – Each question's response is supposed to allow you to show how you learned and grew from the experience and explaining that each time was the most difficult.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I was given all the information before hand and knew I would accept if given an offer.

Sponsored Project Specialist Interview

Sponsored Project Specialist
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Interview Details – Like anything Mayo related, the pace is akin to molasses; you will practice the virtue of patience during the process. Typically after about a week or two of initially applying your application is sent to a hiring manager and then anywhere between two to four weeks later you will get a rejection email or called for an interview. The interview happens soon thereafter, but if it is during the beginning of the process you may have to wait a week or three for all of the interviews to be done.

The interview process is mostly to strictly behavioral based and it involves a panel, ranging in three people to a dozen or more. They ask, you respond. Depending on how quick you can think on your feet to answer their sometimes seemingly irrelevant questions, you may or may not like the interview. I found that the questions did little to weed out those who would work well or not work well as they focused too much on feel good aspects and not enough on work ethic.

With that being said, the interviewers were all friendly, professional, and pleasant.

Interview Question – Name a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker on how to accomplish a task and how did you resolve this?   Answer Question

Catering Retail Manager Interview

Catering Retail Manager
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in June 2011.

Interview Details – I went through a couple of phone interviews and a full day of interviews with prospective boss and other staff members. I visited with the hiring boss for an hour or so. I then joined her and another manager for lunch. Finally, I met with about a dozen people for a round table of questions. It was actually fun.

Interview Question – I truly can't recall anything out of the ordinary that I was asked.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I tried; asked if the offered salary was on the low end or high end. I was told low, and really not offered anything further.
Disappointing, and truly should be paid more.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in September 2011.

Interview Details – Behavorial style interview. Expect a panel of people.

Interview Question – What is the most embarrassing thing that happened to you at work and how did you handle it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiatiop phase

Emergency Room Physician Assistant Interview

Emergency Room Physician Assistant
Rochester, MN

I applied online and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in March 2013.

Interview Details – Snail's pace between initial application and calling for interview. Interview process was all behavioral and about scenarios, along with "teamwork" questions and how to handle difficult patients.

Interview Question – Give us an example of when you had differences with a colleague.   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Rochester, MN

I applied online - interviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2013.

Interview Details – Posting process is all done via H/R department. Interview process is handled via the hiring manager, using a panel interview to help in determining best suited candidates. All interviews are behavioral.

Interview Question – How do you handle a difficult customer that digs their heels in, expressing their desires (for or against); when it is very clear the decision is wrong and/or detrimental?   View Answer

Worked for Mayo Clinic? Contribute to the Community!