Mayo Clinic Interview Questions in Rochester, MN

Updated Feb 27, 2015

3.3

Development Technologist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in February 2015.

I met with a panel of 5 people which included several administrative supervisors and the Lab Director. The interview started with a series of behavioral questions, and concluded with a 15 minute development presentation I was asked in advance to prepare. The Lab Director was engaged and asked relevant questions; however, other members of the panel were uninterested indicating someone had already been selected for the position.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions around teamwork and troubleshooting.   View Answer

Staff RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in February 2015.

I am a new graduate nurse and I was invited to interview with Mayo Clinic about two weeks after I submitted my application. It was a panel interview via webcam. I was not offered the position, but I had a positive interviewing experience because I was prepared. I took the time to look over example interview questions on Mayo Clinic's website. If invited to interview, they provide you with a link for tips on how to prepare for an interview with them. It is well worth the time to look over. All of my interview questions came from that link.

Interview Questions
    • What are your short-term and long-term goals?   View Answer

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

You will get an email inviting you to interview with the hiring manage and a small panel for a behavioral interview. The choices will probably be out 2-3 weeks pending on the the need for the position to be filled.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interviews are very difficult and frustrating, you need to have very specific examples for each question asked. Remember to use "I did", or "it was my idea". You dont want to use we or our team, the team wants to know why you did or how you handled a situation.   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2014.

About one week after applying online for the position I received an email to set up a phone interview. I interviewed on the phone later that week with the lab supervisor and got the job offer the very next day. I was pretty surprised that there was no follow-up interview in person, but at the same time I was extremely happy the whole process went so fast.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty standard questions for a lab position, former experience, how I keep my days organized with multiple projects, etc.   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Typically there will be a panel interview, and then if selected for follow-on, a series of interviews with other managers, administrators and individuals you'll be working with/for. Can be a very long day, or two separate visits. Sometimes a one-on-one first, then a panel, then the additional one-on-ones. In Public Affairs/Communications you will have at least two supervisors due to it being a matrixed organization. Likely you may have several 'clients,' within your area of responsibility.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral interview, pretty typical questions. Absolutely must understand the underlying philosophy of Mayo Clinic "The Needs of the Patient Come First," and must be able to show connection to your values.   Answer Question
    Lower offer than I was interested in, mentioned my master's degree and requested reconsideration, increased offer was satisfactory.

Informatics Specialist II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic in May 2014.

Initial 30 minute phone screening followed by a day long on-site interview. On-site interview included individual interviews with several people as well as a panel type interview with a small group. The interviews are behavioral interviews where they want you to explain your answers using examples from your own work. I found the interviews thorough and well organized. There is a definitely hierarchy in place in the culture. It seemed like it would be a very intellectually challenging place to work which is what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, the salary offered didn't meet my requirements.

Salary requirements weren't met.

Staff Nurse Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Three hour interview, Typical questions. Tour of the units

Interview Questions
    • Give an example of a difficult situation with another employee.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Research Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Initially sent a letter of inquiry directly to the principle investigator I wished to work with. That followed by a response from them, a phone interview that was very informal. I was flown out for presentations and that day offered a position.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly scientifically oriented questions from the crowd during the interview day at Mayo Clinic. Everything else was very cordial.   Answer Question
    As a postdoctoral fellow, salary is not very negotiable, but a moving stipend was supplied and the start date was negotiable as well.

Sponsored Project Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Mayo Clinic.

Like anything Mayo related, the pace is akin to molasses; you will practice the virtue of patience during the process. Typically after about a week or two of initially applying your application is sent to a hiring manager and then anywhere between two to four weeks later you will get a rejection email or called for an interview. The interview happens soon thereafter, but if it is during the beginning of the process you may have to wait a week or three for all of the interviews to be done.

The interview process is mostly to strictly behavioral based and it involves a panel, ranging in three people to a dozen or more. They ask, you respond. Depending on how quick you can think on your feet to answer their sometimes seemingly irrelevant questions, you may or may not like the interview. I found that the questions did little to weed out those who would work well or not work well as they focused too much on feel good aspects and not enough on work ethic.

With that being said, the interviewers were all friendly, professional, and pleasant.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had a disagreement with a co-worker on how to accomplish a task and how did you resolve this?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Mayo Clinic in July 2013.

Posting process is all done via H/R department. Interview process is handled via the hiring manager, using a panel interview to help in determining best suited candidates. All interviews are behavioral.

Interview Questions
    • How do you handle a difficult customer that digs their heels in, expressing their desires (for or against); when it is very clear the decision is wrong and/or detrimental?   View Answer