Mayo Clinic Interview Questions in Rochester, MN

Updated Aug 25, 2015

3.2

Clinical Research Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

I was contacted for a phone interview with the hiring manager and, approximately 3 weeks later, I was invited to interview in-person. At my visit to Mayo, I was treated graciously. I first received a tour and informal interaction with other research coordinators. Thereafter, an HR rep came to explain benefits and policies. I also met the Hiring Manager to discuss the position and answer further questions. The day finished with a panel interview consisting of mostly behavioral interview questions and questions about my skills and work experiences from various potential supervisors.

Interview Questions

• Do you have SOCRA certification? Do you experience administering consent for research studies? How do you accomplish tasks without sacrificing quality when not all tasks can be completed before their respective deadlines? How do you respond to workplace conflict?   1 Answer

Medical Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

I had a panel interview with three lab supervisors. All questions were behavioral and there were no technical questions. The interview confirmation email should help you a lot in your preparation, I found it very useful.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to use attention to detail.   Answer Question

Clinical Laboratory Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied online and they got back to me within a few weeks. I had a panel interview setup 2-3 weeks in advance. Interview process went smoothly and they even reimburse gas/food expenses. There were 3 department supervisors who interviewed me and asked mainly behavioral questions. Questions weren't entirely tough and it helped to visit their link for interview tips.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a project you weren't familiar with? Can you describe a time when you had to use attention to detail? Why do you want to work for Mayo? There were about 10 questions total.   1 Answer

Privacy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Phone interview followed by three interviews from phone interview to offer spanning roughly four months. I initially met with other analysts and one senior analyst for my first in person interview, the second was with two analysts and the privacy officer, finally the third interview was with the Chief Privacy Officer for Mayo. The first two interviews focus a bit on background and personal career growth followed by behavioral type questions. The third interview was much more hands on with the actual work and strategies for the department and essentially was more of a we like you prove your the best candidate.

Interview Questions

• Very Behavior based typed questions, often the same question posed in a different manor.   1 Answer

Staff RN Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I am a new graduate nurse and I was invited to interview with Mayo Clinic about two weeks after I submitted my application. It was a panel interview via webcam. I was not offered the position, but I had a positive interviewing experience because I was prepared. I took the time to look over example interview questions on Mayo Clinic's website. If invited to interview, they provide you with a link for tips on how to prepare for an interview with them. It is well worth the time to look over. All of my interview questions came from that link.

Interview Questions

• What are your short-term and long-term goals?   1 Answer

Development Technologist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

I met with a panel of 5 people which included several administrative supervisors and the Lab Director. The interview started with a series of behavioral questions, and concluded with a 15 minute development presentation I was asked in advance to prepare. The Lab Director was engaged and asked relevant questions; however, other members of the panel were uninterested indicating someone had already been selected for the position.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral questions around teamwork and troubleshooting.   1 Answer

Digital Marketing Interview

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

The application and interview process at the Mayo Clinic was not a good experience for me and from what I have read and heard a lot of good candidates share my views. I expected better from the Mayo Clinic and its reputation. The first part of the application process seemed to be heavily weighted on my compensation expectation and not how I would be a great fit for the position and add value to the organization. I understand that a lot of companies do this as a screening exercise, but they took it beyond that. The long panel interview I went on was not well orchestrated and the conversation did not flow well. Each of the interviewers took turns fumbling through questions and seemed disengaged in the process. I felt that my answers were detailed and showcased my skills and experience. They were also relative to the position I was apply for. I demonstrated how I could benefit the organization but the feeling I got in the room was they already choose someone for the position and they were only interviewing me to fulfill HR protocol. What really shocked me was after more than an hour of answering panel questions regarding my skills and experience related to the position, the head of the department (who was an M.D.) asked if I had any experience pertaining to the position. This was a very strange and awkward experience. I would recommend that the organization changes the way they screen good candidates to attract the best talent. I was prepared to reject the offer, but I did not hear back from them until 4 or more months after the interview,,, this is unacceptable! I expected better. I would not recommend someone pursues a career at the Mayo Clinic unless they are desperate for a job.

Interview Questions

• Mostly situational type questions, i.e. Tell me a time when… Some of the questions were repetitive in nature.   Answer Question

Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

You will get an email inviting you to interview with the hiring manage and a small panel for a behavioral interview. The choices will probably be out 2-3 weeks pending on the the need for the position to be filled.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interviews are very difficult and frustrating, you need to have very specific examples for each question asked. Remember to use "I did", or "it was my idea". You dont want to use we or our team, the team wants to know why you did or how you handled a situation.   Answer Question

Research Technologist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN) in July 2014.

Interview

About one week after applying online for the position I received an email to set up a phone interview. I interviewed on the phone later that week with the lab supervisor and got the job offer the very next day. I was pretty surprised that there was no follow-up interview in person, but at the same time I was extremely happy the whole process went so fast.

Interview Questions

• Pretty standard questions for a lab position, former experience, how I keep my days organized with multiple projects, etc.   Answer Question

Communications Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Rochester, MN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Mayo Clinic (Rochester, MN).

Interview

Typically there will be a panel interview, and then if selected for follow-on, a series of interviews with other managers, administrators and individuals you'll be working with/for. Can be a very long day, or two separate visits. Sometimes a one-on-one first, then a panel, then the additional one-on-ones. In Public Affairs/Communications you will have at least two supervisors due to it being a matrixed organization. Likely you may have several 'clients,' within your area of responsibility.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral interview, pretty typical questions. Absolutely must understand the underlying philosophy of Mayo Clinic "The Needs of the Patient Come First," and must be able to show connection to your values.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Lower offer than I was interested in, mentioned my master's degree and requested reconsideration, increased offer was satisfactory.