McAfee

Updated Dec 9, 2014
Updated Dec 9, 2014

3.1

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McAfee.

2 stages of selection for interview shortlisting. An eLitmus percentile of 98+ followed by a Multiple choice quiz on computer science, Data structures and programming fundamentals. The latter should not be much of a problem if you are thorough with the basics, though getting a good eLitmus score is the hard part. The job role included a combination of development and testing.

Interview Questions
    • Design a data structure where insertion, deletion, data access and get random element are all done in O(1), i.e., constant time. (Without using STL or Hash tables)   View Answers (3)
    • Many coding questions about friend functions in C++.   Answer Question

Software Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McAfee.

You apply through the website and will eventually work with an in-house recruiter. There's going to be a written test of your skills, followed up by lunch with some managers or senior staff, and followed up with meeting some team members. The process is designed to determine whether you can do the job, and later whether you're someone the team would want to work with. No crazy trick questions, although someone might quiz you about something related to work when they get their chance to talk to you.

Your day-long interview process might end early if you're not making sufficient progress at each of the items on the agenda mentioned above. If you pass, then you'll eventually work through the recruiter as you navigate the process of background checking and other forms to fill out. Not much different than most technical jobs.

Interview Questions
    • A simple algebra question. Turned out not to be extremely important, but threw me off because I had been preparing for programming questions only.   View Answer
    I compared numbers on Glassdoor and saw that the offer was reasonable. Plus they had great benefits like bonuses, so I didn't negotiate.

Inside Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McAfee.

Ones you get the job they have a very long process before to give you the job contract.
    HR is not totally crystal during this process and especially to describing the rule.

Lead Development Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cork (Ireland)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at McAfee in January 2013.

3 Interviews including final panel presentation

Senior Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McAfee in February 2010.

Process was long and painful, stops and starts, which took about 2 months. After initial phone interview, went back 3 times to meet with numerous individuals. One interview cancelled the morning of but I still had to meet with another individual so consequently had to return another time.

Interview Questions
    • How will you make an impact in your first 90 days. Good question.   Answer Question
    Short as they raised the salary req based on my experience from what they had originally stated

Tier I Support Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McAfee in May 2014.

They literally walked me into a dark room with four lights. I wish I were making that up.

The chair they had me sit in was half-broken so I couldn't lean back in it, and the three of them (two junior techs and an older senior tech or shift manager) took turns questioning me and posing extremely vague situations.

One that I remember was "You deploy an update to Windows for 100 workstations over the weekend starting on Friday, Sunday you checked to see how it went and noticed 1 workstation didn't get the patch, what do you do?"

That question had so much information missing that literally all I could say was "without any more information, I'd need to determine what made that one workstation different. Did the user shut it down before they left for the weekend? Did their office lose power? Is that machine even on the Active Directory OU?"

After several such questions they said they needed to step out into the hall to confer and to sit tight.

Another 15 minutes passes and a fourth guy who I'd never seen before walked in, introduced himself by first and last name (but not job title/responsibility, so I had no clue what he did, but evidently he was the final decisionmaker regarding hire/no hire), and then sat down to spend about 30 more minutes finding several different ways to express the importance of being on time.

I was 45 minutes early to the interview, and I'm a veteran. You guys have no idea what on time means. Seriously. :|

And here this guy is treating me, a 29 year old vet with plenty of tech experience, like I'm applying for a job at McDonald's.

Of course I smiled and nodded but inside I was thinking: are you freaking kidding me?

Afterwards, they said they'd be in touch and we shook hands, I thanked them for their time and got the heck out of there.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of grilling on individual port numbers and the OSI model. Does anybody remember that stuff by heart without having to consult a reference? Anyone? Bueller?   View Answer

Software Development Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McAfee in June 2014.

interview process was good first was technical round fllowed by interview process. difficult questions
    question were on c/c++, sql .phython. be prepared toughness. mcafee is tough to crack. i think it will be helpful

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McAfee in July 2014.

I've applied online and it took them about 2 weeks to reply.

- It starts with a 20 minute HR Interview which includes some simple technical questions about linked lists, pointers, algorithms etc..

- If you pass that, you get invited to the main office, the interview was 2 hours long which included a QA test, programming test, whiteboard testing and 2 interviews, one technical and the other was a biographical interview.

Overall it was quite a tough experience, and they do give you feedback after a week.

Interview Questions
    • Compare Java to C++, and explain why would you choose to one instead of the other. There was also some questions about concurrency   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McAfee.

I was friends with someone who knew I was looking to get my foot in the door in regards to a "corporate" environment, for lack of a better term. She knew someone who was looking for an entry-level type role, one of which would allow for progress, given I met their expectations.

Interview Questions
    • As this was my first "business" interview, everything seemed unexpected! My interviewers made a point to not only emphasize the work ethic and culture, but also to try to get an idea of my personality to help see if I aligned with the businesses' outlook.   View Answer
    I was lucky to receive an amazing benefits package, along with a great starting salary.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in India, MS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in India, MS

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McAfee in February 2014.

It was a Case Interview. 4 rounds of interviews one was technical which was straightforward. next 3 rounds were cases. The cases seemed a bit ambiguous, but they are supposed to be ambiguous I guess. More focus on quantitative skills.