McAfee

Relevance Date Difficulty

Publication Specialist Interview

Publication Specialist
Beaverton, OR

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in July 2012.

Interview Details – I submitted and within a week, received a call from the main campus in California to go through my resume and then set up a phone interview with the team lead. The team lead called at the scheduled time, and we talked for roughly forty minutes about the job requirements and my qualifications. He told me at the end of the call that he would recommend an in-person interview, and I heard back from HR for that interview. The in-person interview took two hours. The first hour was with the development team, and the second hour was with the writing team. People on the teams took turns asking me questions about the position, how I would handle the workload, and what interested me most about the position. The interview ended at almost exactly the two-hour mark, and I spoke briefly with the team lead again before leaving and being told they'd call me to let me know.

Interview Question – How would you handle a last-minute emergency from a writer when you have multiple projects that need attention?   View Answer

Marketing Manager Interview

Marketing Manager
Santa Clara, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at McAfee in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process was pretty straightforward and casual. It was mostly a discussion of my resume and background. I met with about 5 people, all at the vice president or director level, and each interview was 30 or 45 minutes in length. Each person left time at the end of the interview for questions.

Interview Question – What did you do in your previous role? Why are you leaving your position?   Answer Question

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Technical Support Engineer
Saint Paul, MN

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McAfee in February 2012.

Interview Details – Met with McAfee at a college fair and then they decided to set up a phone interview. This was pretty quick and was mainly focused on past experiences in school/work. When I went into the on-site visit, I was thrown a lot of heavy technical questions regarding networking, proxies, firewalls, etc, so make sure you study up before hand.

The interview took around four hours consisting of both a one on one interview as well as group/panel interview.

Interview Question – Describe in detail exactly what happens when you type in a website name into your internet browser's URL field.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Had a much better offer from somewhere else.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McAfee in April 2012.

Interview Details – What a joke, the "sales manager" who interviewed me was a complete moron. They must have googled for obscure interview questions and had no idea what they were asking me for because I asked them to clarify some of thier questions and they stared at me blankly... Sell me this pencil? Really? 1985 called and they want their interviewing tactics back. Offer received and offer declined. No thanks... I wasn't a fan of thier office layout anyway, terrible cube/pod layout. No privacy or professionalism there and the pay package wasn't competitive.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Dumb managers, bad interviewing skills, terrible work place environment.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McAfee in February 2012.

Interview Details – My interview process with McAfee was one of the worst I've experienced in my professional career. I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter with McAfee regarding inside sales opportunities at their Plano, TX office.
I knew that McAfee was owned by Intel and wanted some 'big name' experience, so I followed up to express interest in the opportunity. The internal recruiter contacted me and set up a time for a short discussion with her. The discussion was just some simple background screening questions, and from there, the recruiter stated she'd get me connected with an interview for one of the openings. So far so good.
I had a phone interview with several managers from one of the sales groups within McAfee. The interview went well, but weeks went by with no communication about the interview or what happened with the opening.
Several weeks later, the recruiter contacted me again stating there was great feedback from my interview and that they would set me up with another phone interview. It turns out the next interview I had was with a manager from a completely different group for a different sales opening.
Fast forward several weeks, and the same thing happened 2 other times. I had to explain to each manager I had a phone call with that there was no explanation why I was apparently interviewing with numerous groups instead of going through a sequential process with one group for a specific opening.
Finally, the recruiter calls me and says she'd like to schedule an on-site interview with the Director for a territory within one of the sales segments. The on-site interview went great, but again, I did not receive any feedback from the recruiter. When I followed up after hearing nothing, she said they needed me to speak with one more manager via phone. I assumed (logically) that this would be a final interview for the position I met on-site for. It turned out that this manager was interviewing for a spot on a completely different team!
Finally, I called the recruiter back and said I was interested in continuing in the interview process for the opening I went on-site for. She assured me that they needed me to speak with one last manager they just hired, but that it was in fact for the 'right' job this time. I reluctantly agreed to the final phone call, during which the manager made numerous promises about salary and how I'd be receiving an offer from their team within 7 days, etc. The time quoted passed, so I followed up again after hearing no updates. The manager finally responded personally and basically said that the opening they thought they'd have on that team was no longer available and wanted to know if I'd be interested in a role on one of their other teams! This was after they verbally told me on the phone they'd be meeting and extending an offer!
The bottom line is that there is no communication internally amongst the recruiters, managers, and various teams regarding their openings. I felt like since McAfee is owned by Intel and a relatively large company, that they'd have a structured process in place for conducting interviews and hiring. This is clearly not the case and proved to be a huge waste of time. It's amazing to me that they can operate with the level of disorganization and dysfunction I experienced. If anything, it served as a horrible omen for what working there might be like and made me realize it'd be smart to decline any offer they did end up extending. I would recommend saving yourself the grief of dealing with them.

Interview Question – What makes you interested in sales?   Answer Question

IT Process Analyst Interview

IT Process Analyst
Plano, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at McAfee in March 2011.

Interview Details – The first round of interviews consisted of a series of 2 30 minute group panel phone interviews. The questions asked included the typical interview questions (What's your biggest weakness, Tell me of a time you had to solve a problem in a group setting, etc) and also consisted of questions regarding my familiarity with the company, and general IT.

The evening of the phone interview,I was invited in for an office visit the following week. The office visit was very stress-free, and consisted of 2, 30-min 1:1 interviews. The first interview mainly was to make sure that all of your questions about the job/role were answered, while the 2nd focused more on abilities

Interview Question – What have you heard about McAfee in the news lately?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a 12% raise in my salary. I leveraged an offer that I received in a different city, and was able to argue that the cost of living in Dallas was higher, so a higher salary was warranted

Internal Auditor Interview

Internal Auditor
Plano, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in September 2010.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from Mcafee and it was fine, then I had another phone interview with the HM and I felt really good, they called me two weeks later to set up a third interview. I called two days later to know when exactly and the HR employee told me to wait a little, then I received an email saying that they had an internal promotion and someone from inside got the job!!

Interview Question – Why did you applied for this position?   Answer Question

Software Development Engineer Interview

Software Development Engineer
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McAfee in April 2011.

Interview Details – had 1 phone interview which was fully technical.. Asked about work exp, database, netowrking and OO concepts.. a bit of algorithms... he was mostly seeing whether my basics were good..
onsite interview had 4 rounds.. 2 were more on projects, challenges faced etc. Others were technical on similar topics and asked to write code on the board.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – yes. add 10k more and tell u were expecting that much.. he/she may increase by 3-4k

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer
Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in November 2009.

Interview Details – It is tough interview

Interview Question – Which is running faster by using for loop or while loop with 1,000,000 cycle   View Answer

Manager Interview

Manager
Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McAfee in January 2009.

Interview Details – stressful interview with lots of detailed questions

Interview Question – detailed questions about best technology practice for different vertical industries   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McAfee