McAfee Interview Questions

Updated Jul 27, 2015

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at McAfee (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2012.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward and casual. It was mostly a discussion of my resume and background. I met with about 5 people, all at the vice president or director level, and each interview was 30 or 45 minutes in length. Each person left time at the end of the interview for questions.

Interview Questions

• What did you do in your previous role? Why are you leaving your position?   Answer Question

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McAfee (Plano, TX) in April 2012.

Interview

What a joke, the "sales manager" who interviewed me was a complete moron. They must have googled for obscure interview questions and had no idea what they were asking me for because I asked them to clarify some of thier questions and they stared at me blankly... Sell me this pencil? Really? 1985 called and they want their interviewing tactics back. Offer received and offer declined. No thanks... I wasn't a fan of thier office layout anyway, terrible cube/pod layout. No privacy or professionalism there and the pay package wasn't competitive.

Interview Questions

Dumb managers, bad interviewing skills, terrible work place environment.

IT Business Analyst (Contractor) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McAfee (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2012.

Interview

Sat down with a team member first and answered a few questions, then met with the hiring manager. They were considering myself and one other person. I had been referred by my friend/roommate and I believe I got the job because I was more enthusiastic about technology and I had a MBA.

Interview Questions

• Since my background wasn't technical, they asked about my willingness/ability to learn IT basics on the job.   1 Answer

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McAfee (Plano, TX) in February 2012.

Interview

My interview process with McAfee was one of the worst I've experienced in my professional career. I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter with McAfee regarding inside sales opportunities at their Plano, TX office. I knew that McAfee was owned by Intel and wanted some 'big name' experience, so I followed up to express interest in the opportunity. The internal recruiter contacted me and set up a time for a short discussion with her. The discussion was just some simple background screening questions, and from there, the recruiter stated she'd get me connected with an interview for one of the openings. So far so good. I had a phone interview with several managers from one of the sales groups within McAfee. The interview went well, but weeks went by with no communication about the interview or what happened with the opening. Several weeks later, the recruiter contacted me again stating there was great feedback from my interview and that they would set me up with another phone interview. It turns out the next interview I had was with a manager from a completely different group for a different sales opening. Fast forward several weeks, and the same thing happened 2 other times. I had to explain to each manager I had a phone call with that there was no explanation why I was apparently interviewing with numerous groups instead of going through a sequential process with one group for a specific opening. Finally, the recruiter calls me and says she'd like to schedule an on-site interview with the Director for a territory within one of the sales segments. The on-site interview went great, but again, I did not receive any feedback from the recruiter. When I followed up after hearing nothing, she said they needed me to speak with one more manager via phone. I assumed (logically) that this would be a final interview for the position I met on-site for. It turned out that this manager was interviewing for a spot on a completely different team! Finally, I called the recruiter back and said I was interested in continuing in the interview process for the opening I went on-site for. She assured me that they needed me to speak with one last manager they just hired, but that it was in fact for the 'right' job this time. I reluctantly agreed to the final phone call, during which the manager made numerous promises about salary and how I'd be receiving an offer from their team within 7 days, etc. The time quoted passed, so I followed up again after hearing no updates. The manager finally responded personally and basically said that the opening they thought they'd have on that team was no longer available and wanted to know if I'd be interested in a role on one of their other teams! This was after they verbally told me on the phone they'd be meeting and extending an offer! The bottom line is that there is no communication internally amongst the recruiters, managers, and various teams regarding their openings. I felt like since McAfee is owned by Intel and a relatively large company, that they'd have a structured process in place for conducting interviews and hiring. This is clearly not the case and proved to be a huge waste of time. It's amazing to me that they can operate with the level of disorganization and dysfunction I experienced. If anything, it served as a horrible omen for what working there might be like and made me realize it'd be smart to decline any offer they did end up extending. I would recommend saving yourself the grief of dealing with them.

Technical Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McAfee (Saint Paul, MN) in February 2012.

Interview

Met with McAfee at a college fair and then they decided to set up a phone interview. This was pretty quick and was mainly focused on past experiences in school/work. When I went into the on-site visit, I was thrown a lot of heavy technical questions regarding networking, proxies, firewalls, etc, so make sure you study up before hand. The interview took around four hours consisting of both a one on one interview as well as group/panel interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe in detail exactly what happens when you type in a website name into your internet browser's URL field.   1 Answer

Had a much better offer from somewhere else.

Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McAfee (Plano, TX) in January 2012.

Interview

Takes quite a bit to get in the door. This tends to be a very slow process. Your best bet is to have it be an employee referral. Their HR department seems to have some turnover so you can get tripped up there. Interviewed for a position and it took 4 weeks to get called back for a second interview.

Interview Questions

• How will your employment make a difference for McAfee?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Since I was out of work there was a take it or leave it attitude from HR manager.

Software Development Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McAfee (McLean, VA) in April 2011.

Interview

had 1 phone interview which was fully technical.. Asked about work exp, database, netowrking and OO concepts.. a bit of algorithms... he was mostly seeing whether my basics were good.. onsite interview had 4 rounds.. 2 were more on projects, challenges faced etc. Others were technical on similar topics and asked to write code on the board.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

yes. add 10k more and tell u were expecting that much.. he/she may increase by 3-4k

IT Process Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McAfee (Plano, TX) in March 2011.

Interview

The first round of interviews consisted of a series of 2 30 minute group panel phone interviews. The questions asked included the typical interview questions (What's your biggest weakness, Tell me of a time you had to solve a problem in a group setting, etc) and also consisted of questions regarding my familiarity with the company, and general IT. The evening of the phone interview,I was invited in for an office visit the following week. The office visit was very stress-free, and consisted of 2, 30-min 1:1 interviews. The first interview mainly was to make sure that all of your questions about the job/role were answered, while the 2nd focused more on abilities

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a 12% raise in my salary. I leveraged an offer that I received in a different city, and was able to argue that the cost of living in Dallas was higher, so a higher salary was warranted

UI Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McAfee (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

took a couple months, I even forgot when it was started. I was interviewed for one team, didn't pass, even I thought I was over-skilled for a job position. HR contacted me again a month later. Another round of interview for another team. Total: phone calls with HR representative, back and force, two phone interviews, two in person. First team was asking different range of questions, from personality question to technical skills, all around. Some of them asked the same questions all around.... Some of them didn't know the answer themselves... and had no idea what they were asking. Some of them got bored interviewing and were answering phone calls or played with their phone :-(. I was disappointed. Second team was amazing, no stupid questions, very simple programming questions and overall very pleasant experience.

Interview Questions

• Asked about common IP addresses and network connection, just didn't expect it for this position.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I expected more and I was told more, but they called back and said less. Kinda surprising... I accepted bz of better position I've had at that time.

Enterprise Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McAfee (Chicago, IL) in January 2011.

Interview

Usual 3/4 interviews. They where looking to expand the sales team. I had 2 interviews in Chicago and flew down to Dallas for the last interview. I meet with the SE Manager and SE who I would be working with. I did a few role play sessions with the hiring manager.