McAfee Interview Questions

3.1

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in November 2009.

It is tough interview

Interview Questions
    • Which is running faster by using for loop or while loop with 1,000,000 cycle   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McAfee in January 2009.

stressful interview with lots of detailed questions

Interview Questions
    • detailed questions about best technology practice for different vertical industries   Answer Question

Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at McAfee in January 2008.

Very quick as I believe I was right for the job and offered immediately

Fair

Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 8 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in January 2010.

Initial contact around Thanksgiving, then phone interview with hiring manager in early December. No response or followup from them, despite my email followups. Then in early January, request for on-site interview in mid-January. Interview lineup kept changing up to 45 minutes before the interview, including the first person bowing out so interview would start 30 minutes later. Actually enjoyed the interviews, had some good exchanges of ideas and problem-solving, impressed with the caliber of people I was talking with. Then nothing from them for a week. Called to follow up and was told there is now a hiring freeze. Insiders tell me they have 2 quarters a year of hiring freeze. Recruiter told me to "let him know if I saw anything else I was interested in" but no feedback about how I did or that he would keep me in mind in future. Very disappointed in the way things were handled and the time it look to get responses from people.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle someone who is just not doing the work, doesn't get along with anyone, and is generally not working out?   Answer Question
    • How do you handle schedule slips or increased requirements in the middle of a project?   Answer Question

Security Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in September 2008.

Pretty straight forward. Easy questions about basic OS commands.

Interview Questions
    • Command syntax of Unix commands, and exact system file locations   Answer Question
    Non-negotiable

Sourcing Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McAfee in February 2009.

The team wasn't very clear on the requirements of the position. Although they had a job description, when interviewing they described the tasks and goals of the position in a way that the market is not measuring them. At least not at the cutting edge of the profession, which is something they advertised they needed, but not really inquiring about. Instead, they focused on abilities that were key 10 years ago in the field of procurement, but not in this day and time. Namely, they were trying to get a top-bottom approach to improving the strategic sourcing process, but the people at the top were not really familiar with the concept, and the people in the trenches were vastly under-qualified for the job they were supposed to be doing. The company was trying to get someone to train the fron-line team and create a solid set of performers from a team that in my mind wasn't really ready for such a massive corporate overhaul.

FP&A Marketing BU Manager Interview

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in March 2009.

Good team, good head for the business, nice enviroment. I did not get a chance to speak with Upper management.

Interview Questions

I had to make the hard decision of choosing between two offers and even harder th other offer was with a competitor - I think I made the right choice but you never know.

Sales Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McAfee in October 2008.

McAfee internal contact reached out to make a recruiting effort for a new position he was creating. Went through extensive phone discussions, all of which sounded great, but as we started talking about the meat of the matter it became clear that this was a pet project rather than a broad strategic role as originally described. I was concerned it wouldn't have genuine support elsewhere inside the business and withdrew from the process.

Interview Questions

Didn't feel it was as substantial a position as originally described.

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Aylesbury, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aylesbury, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in July 2014.

I've applied online and it took them about 2 weeks to reply.

- It starts with a 20 minute HR Interview which includes some simple technical questions about linked lists, pointers, algorithms etc..

- If you pass that, you get invited to the main office, the interview was 2 hours long which included a QA test, programming test, whiteboard testing and 2 interviews, one technical and the other was a biographical interview.

Overall it was quite a tough experience, and they do give you feedback after a week.

Interview Questions
    • Compare Java to C++, and explain why would you choose to one instead of the other. There was also some questions about concurrency   Answer Question

Associate Software Dev Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4 days - interviewed at McAfee in August 2014.

It consisted five rounds :
    Round 1 : Wrirten test on basics of Java, C and Data Structures. It was damn easy. 20 questions in 30 minutes. I guess those could be solved in less than 15 minutes. Questions were based on array declaration, simple questions on stacks, queues, linked lists, BSTs and arrays.

Round 2: Out of 60, 24 were selected this round. It was technical interview. Questions asked were :
    1. Write node structure of linked list in C?
    2. Write a C program to detect loop in a linked list?
    3. Write a program to reverse a linked list? 4. Write a program to reverse a linked list which contains a loop? Header node would be node where loop started.
    I answered them all in one go. Interviewer was happy with my confidence and appraised me.

Round 3 : 12 were selected for this round. Again it was a technical interview. Questions asked were :
    1. You have four identical looking tablets. Two are for cold and two are for fever. You have to take one fever and one cold tablet. Overdose may kill you. All tablets lie in same category container.
    2. How to delete a node in a linked list pointer to which is given?
    3. Swap even and odd bits in a 32 bit integer.
    4. Implement queue using two stacks.
    5. You have 25 horses and 5 lanes. 5 horses can race at a time. Minimum no. of races required to find top three horses.
    6. How will you detect that two numbers on addition will overflow integer range?

Interviewers were a Sardarji and one other friendly guy. They greeted me and motivated me very well.

Round 4 : Only 7 were selected for this round. Again interviewer was friendly and told me various things about McAfee and their Gurgaon Wing.
    1. How would you find median of two sorted arrays and its optimized solution?
    I did that and he said "Cool". Actually, I don't know why they were asking so easy questions.
    Then we had a long discussion on Over flow in adding two numbers and I suggested him a way and persuaded him successfully that my method was best.

Interview Questions
    • ROUND 5 : only 3 were selected. Interviewers were very friendly again.
      How will you test your phone?
        Answer Question
    • How will you test that a text box accepting only one character between A-Z is working correctly.   Answer Question
    • What exceptions may occur if you want to read a file from disk?   Answer Question
    No negotiation phase as I was a fresher. But yes I got location of my choice and Associate SDE and not Associate SDET as profile.