McAfee

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tier I Support Technician Interview

Tier I Support Technician
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McAfee in May 2014.

Interview Details – They literally walked me into a dark room with four lights. I wish I were making that up.

The chair they had me sit in was half-broken so I couldn't lean back in it, and the three of them (two junior techs and an older senior tech or shift manager) took turns questioning me and posing extremely vague situations.

One that I remember was "You deploy an update to Windows for 100 workstations over the weekend starting on Friday, Sunday you checked to see how it went and noticed 1 workstation didn't get the patch, what do you do?"

That question had so much information missing that literally all I could say was "without any more information, I'd need to determine what made that one workstation different. Did the user shut it down before they left for the weekend? Did their office lose power? Is that machine even on the Active Directory OU?"

After several such questions they said they needed to step out into the hall to confer and to sit tight.

Another 15 minutes passes and a fourth guy who I'd never seen before walked in, introduced himself by first and last name (but not job title/responsibility, so I had no clue what he did, but evidently he was the final decisionmaker regarding hire/no hire), and then sat down to spend about 30 more minutes finding several different ways to express the importance of being on time.

I was 45 minutes early to the interview, and I'm a veteran. You guys have no idea what on time means. Seriously. :|

And here this guy is treating me, a 29 year old vet with plenty of tech experience, like I'm applying for a job at McDonald's.

Of course I smiled and nodded but inside I was thinking: are you freaking kidding me?

Afterwards, they said they'd be in touch and we shook hands, I thanked them for their time and got the heck out of there.

Interview Question – Lots of grilling on individual port numbers and the OSI model. Does anybody remember that stuff by heart without having to consult a reference? Anyone? Bueller?   Answer Question

Senior Account Manager Interview

Senior Account Manager
Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in October 2012.

Interview Details – Easy Interview process, Most of hiring managers were relatively new.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary, no curve balls   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – NONE....they didn't care about experience or performance, just wanted a warm body

Global Operations Center Intern Interview

Global Operations Center Intern
Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McAfee in April 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview with a manager.

Interview Question – What do you like least about your current internship?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate. Got a phone call from HR and accepted the offer and the salary on the spot.

IT Global Security Services Compliance Intern Interview

IT Global Security Services Compliance Intern
Plano, TX

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McAfee.

Interview Details – 1st meeting at University career fair
Interview for phone interview, within 1 week
30 min interview, conducted by hiring manager
Pleasant interview, not a stress interview
14 days before announcing decision
only 1 round of interview.

Interview Question – about post 2009 financial market regulations   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – i got the top band of the pay range, so I did not negotiate.

Sales Operations Analyst Interview

Sales Operations Analyst
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McAfee in January 2012.

Interview Details – Takes quite a bit to get in the door. This tends to be a very slow process. Your best bet is to have it be an employee referral. Their HR department seems to have some turnover so you can get tripped up there. Interviewed for a position and it took 4 weeks to get called back for a second interview.

Interview Question – How will your employment make a difference for McAfee?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since I was out of work there was a take it or leave it attitude from HR manager.

Insides Sales Account Manager Corporate Interview

Insides Sales Account Manager Corporate
Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in September 2012.

Interview Details – I did several phone interviews before finally going into the Plano, TX office for a face to face interview. When I arrived to the 3rd floor of their building and guided towards the sales area I immediately got the feeling that this was a telemarketing center. The kind of place that you'd expect to be getting a call from someone raising money for the Policeman's Benevolent Society, March of Dimes or trying to sell you an extended warranty on your car. They have these really small cubes with basically no walls and all the sales reps were totally jammed together, hundreds of them it seemed. It was so loud as I was walking by that I cannot imagine how anyone actually thinks in that office. A lot of the people I saw on the phones were walking around with wireless headsets and walking into other people's work space while talking loudly on the phone. Most of the sales reps were dressed very unprofessionally, the manager that interviewed me was dressed like he was getting ready to go out to a Club for the night. Overall a very negative experience. This might be a great place for people with no sales or technology sales experience to come in and get that experience then move on to somewhere better, somewhere more professional but it wasn't right for me and I turned down the offer that arrived a week later. It wasn't even a really competitive offer compared with others I received in the same market/industry. A coworker who just joined me at my job just came from McAfee and they said that place was a "nightmare and full of children", glad I didn't go there!

Interview Question – What is your 60 day plan if we hire you.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – The offer was not competitive. Offers from two other technology companies in Dallas were much higher. Above all though the work environment at McAfee is far below expectations, definitely a telemarketing site filled with telemarketing type people.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McAfee in April 2012.

Interview Details – What a joke, the "sales manager" who interviewed me was a complete moron. They must have googled for obscure interview questions and had no idea what they were asking me for because I asked them to clarify some of thier questions and they stared at me blankly... Sell me this pencil? Really? 1985 called and they want their interviewing tactics back. Offer received and offer declined. No thanks... I wasn't a fan of thier office layout anyway, terrible cube/pod layout. No privacy or professionalism there and the pay package wasn't competitive.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Dumb managers, bad interviewing skills, terrible work place environment.

Inside Sales Representative Interview

Inside Sales Representative
Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McAfee in February 2012.

Interview Details – My interview process with McAfee was one of the worst I've experienced in my professional career. I was initially contacted by an internal recruiter with McAfee regarding inside sales opportunities at their Plano, TX office.
I knew that McAfee was owned by Intel and wanted some 'big name' experience, so I followed up to express interest in the opportunity. The internal recruiter contacted me and set up a time for a short discussion with her. The discussion was just some simple background screening questions, and from there, the recruiter stated she'd get me connected with an interview for one of the openings. So far so good.
I had a phone interview with several managers from one of the sales groups within McAfee. The interview went well, but weeks went by with no communication about the interview or what happened with the opening.
Several weeks later, the recruiter contacted me again stating there was great feedback from my interview and that they would set me up with another phone interview. It turns out the next interview I had was with a manager from a completely different group for a different sales opening.
Fast forward several weeks, and the same thing happened 2 other times. I had to explain to each manager I had a phone call with that there was no explanation why I was apparently interviewing with numerous groups instead of going through a sequential process with one group for a specific opening.
Finally, the recruiter calls me and says she'd like to schedule an on-site interview with the Director for a territory within one of the sales segments. The on-site interview went great, but again, I did not receive any feedback from the recruiter. When I followed up after hearing nothing, she said they needed me to speak with one more manager via phone. I assumed (logically) that this would be a final interview for the position I met on-site for. It turned out that this manager was interviewing for a spot on a completely different team!
Finally, I called the recruiter back and said I was interested in continuing in the interview process for the opening I went on-site for. She assured me that they needed me to speak with one last manager they just hired, but that it was in fact for the 'right' job this time. I reluctantly agreed to the final phone call, during which the manager made numerous promises about salary and how I'd be receiving an offer from their team within 7 days, etc. The time quoted passed, so I followed up again after hearing no updates. The manager finally responded personally and basically said that the opening they thought they'd have on that team was no longer available and wanted to know if I'd be interested in a role on one of their other teams! This was after they verbally told me on the phone they'd be meeting and extending an offer!
The bottom line is that there is no communication internally amongst the recruiters, managers, and various teams regarding their openings. I felt like since McAfee is owned by Intel and a relatively large company, that they'd have a structured process in place for conducting interviews and hiring. This is clearly not the case and proved to be a huge waste of time. It's amazing to me that they can operate with the level of disorganization and dysfunction I experienced. If anything, it served as a horrible omen for what working there might be like and made me realize it'd be smart to decline any offer they did end up extending. I would recommend saving yourself the grief of dealing with them.

Interview Question – What makes you interested in sales?   Answer Question

IT Process Analyst Interview

IT Process Analyst
Plano, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at McAfee in March 2011.

Interview Details – The first round of interviews consisted of a series of 2 30 minute group panel phone interviews. The questions asked included the typical interview questions (What's your biggest weakness, Tell me of a time you had to solve a problem in a group setting, etc) and also consisted of questions regarding my familiarity with the company, and general IT.

The evening of the phone interview,I was invited in for an office visit the following week. The office visit was very stress-free, and consisted of 2, 30-min 1:1 interviews. The first interview mainly was to make sure that all of your questions about the job/role were answered, while the 2nd focused more on abilities

Interview Question – What have you heard about McAfee in the news lately?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate a 12% raise in my salary. I leveraged an offer that I received in a different city, and was able to argue that the cost of living in Dallas was higher, so a higher salary was warranted

Internal Auditor Interview

Internal Auditor
Plano, TX

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McAfee in September 2010.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from Mcafee and it was fine, then I had another phone interview with the HM and I felt really good, they called me two weeks later to set up a third interview. I called two days later to know when exactly and the HR employee told me to wait a little, then I received an email saying that they had an internal promotion and someone from inside got the job!!

Interview Question – Why did you applied for this position?   Answer Question

Worked for McAfee? Contribute to the Community!