McAlister's Interview Questions

Updated Sep 25, 2014
Updated Sep 25, 2014

1.7

Server Interview

I applied in-person - interviewed at McAlister's.

First they ask you to tell a little about yourself. They ask why you want to work here and if you have some experience working around food. Then they hire you on the spot. Just like that.

None

Front of House Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Addison, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Addison, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McAlister's in June 2014.

I applied online and was called a few days later by the assistant manager to set up an interview later that week.

I showed up five minutes early on my interview day and waited exactly five minutes for the assistant manager who called me on the phone to get with me. I was interviewed by her. It only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes, it was a very easy interview which is saying something because I'm a teenager and this was my first interview ever.

She asked me some general questions about previous work experience (I had none, but using examples about various experiences in high school helped) and then she asked me about good and bad qualities I have. Towards the end of the interview when she asked if I had any questions, I asked her how long the hiring process takes and when I should expect to hear back from McAlister's. She told me that usually there is a second interview, but that she'd hire me on the spot! Pretty exciting to hear for someone who's 16 years old and this was their first interview.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't really any difficult questions. The hardest one was to talk about a bad quality I have. It's good to have an answer already prepared for that question, and let it be known that you have plans to improve upon yourself.   Answer Question
    Since it was my first interview, I was scatter-brained and forgot to negotiate anything, lol. She didn't mention wages or hours, either.

Assistant Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McAlister's.

Met with the owner at a local coffee shop and discussed typical managerial interview questions and answers. He talked more about the company than anything. Met with the owner and his wife a second time and they gave me a ridiculously low offer. After thinking about the offer I declined. They came back with a much higher offer, but still below my current salary. I declined.

Interview Questions
    • Are you prepared to train out of state for 5 weeks, working 6 days a week for a little over half of your normal salary. Be careful. Some owners/companies will not be up front about these types of things.   View Answer

Not enough money, ridiculous training pay

Assistant Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

I received a very short phone call and then met with the general manager. We met once more with the regional. Very simple, conversational interviews. They mainly used behavioral and situational questions to decide if I was a good fit for the culture and training program

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with an issue that involves two of your employees.   Answer Question

Front of House Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charlotte, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at McAlister's in March 2014.

I went to a job fair where i met the boss. He was really cool and seemed to an upbeat guy

Interview Questions
    • How do you feel about working with different ethnicity's.   Answer Question
    I stayed on beat and kept eye contact

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Las Cruces, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Las Cruces, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 months - interviewed at McAlister's in March 2014.

I applied in December 2013 and was hired March 2014. This was a great, easy, fast interview. They called me at 11:00 in the morning and asked me to interview at 3:00. I came in and they sent one of the assistant managers out to start my interview. They asked me to describe myself first and went on to ask me about previous job experience and what I liked about working at that place. After the first interview, they immediately sent out another assistant manager for a second interview on the spot. She asked me how I manage conflict (this seemed like a really important question to them since it was the positive turning point of my interview). After a few simple questions, they hired me on the spot and were very flexible with my hours since I'm a full-time college student.

Interview Questions
    • What would your previous employee say about you as a worker and person?   Answer Question
    No negotiation but they gave me above minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Colorado Springs, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

Saw posting online went into store, they were just opening the new location and had orientation a few days later. The owner met with me and asked me a few questions about myself and if I was interested. Took down my info and told me to be at orientation, I started 3 days later. Very easy and laid back.

Associate General Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McAlister's in December 2013.

They had a job fair. I spoke with the Regional Manager and the owners the same day. This was during the holidays they contacted my reference and did background check and called me two days after Chrtistmas and made an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The question was about me and my expereince nothig hard. They was very interested at what i did after work. Im a volunteer with big brothers big sister they loved that.   Answer Question
    They did not negotiation offer was good.

Kitchen Cook Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

I went to hand in my application and was asked to come back in a few days, the location had just opened and was very busy. I came back in 3 days and was asked to find a seat and someone will be interviewing shortly. The assistant manager interviewed me first asking very basic questions about job experience.

The Manager on duty interviewed me the next day with similar basic questions but was impressed with previous work experience in restaurants and quickly moved to hiring.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle yourself in a fast paced kitchen environment.   View Answer
    Because of previous experience and wage in the food industry I was given a above minimum wage.

Foh/Boh Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at McAlister's.

Walked in 10 minutes later was hired.

It was ok

Worked for McAlister's? Contribute to the Community!