McAlister's

Relevance Date Difficulty

Food Runner/Busser Interview

Food Runner/Busser
Boone, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at McAlister's in August 2010.

Interview Details – I literally just ate their often and asked if they were hiring and they said yes and set up an interview. I was asked for my information and to fill out a form and when I could start!

Negotiation Details – I asked for 8 an hour and got minimum wage.

Front of House Interview

Front of House
Addison, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McAlister's in June 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and was called a few days later by the assistant manager to set up an interview later that week.

I showed up five minutes early on my interview day and waited exactly five minutes for the assistant manager who called me on the phone to get with me. I was interviewed by her. It only lasted about 10 or 15 minutes, it was a very easy interview which is saying something because I'm a teenager and this was my first interview ever.

She asked me some general questions about previous work experience (I had none, but using examples about various experiences in high school helped) and then she asked me about good and bad qualities I have. Towards the end of the interview when she asked if I had any questions, I asked her how long the hiring process takes and when I should expect to hear back from McAlister's. She told me that usually there is a second interview, but that she'd hire me on the spot! Pretty exciting to hear for someone who's 16 years old and this was their first interview.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions. The hardest one was to talk about a bad quality I have. It's good to have an answer already prepared for that question, and let it be known that you have plans to improve upon yourself.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Since it was my first interview, I was scatter-brained and forgot to negotiate anything, lol. She didn't mention wages or hours, either.

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager

I applied online and interviewed at McAlister's.

Interview Details – Met with the owner at a local coffee shop and discussed typical managerial interview questions and answers. He talked more about the company than anything. Met with the owner and his wife a second time and they gave me a ridiculously low offer. After thinking about the offer I declined. They came back with a much higher offer, but still below my current salary. I declined.

Interview Question – Are you prepared to train out of state for 5 weeks, working 6 days a week for a little over half of your normal salary. Be careful. Some owners/companies will not be up front about these types of things.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Not enough money, ridiculous training pay

Assistant Manager Interview

Assistant Manager
Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

Interview Details – I received a very short phone call and then met with the general manager. We met once more with the regional. Very simple, conversational interviews. They mainly used behavioral and situational questions to decide if I was a good fit for the culture and training program

Interview Question – How would you deal with an issue that involves two of your employees.   Answer Question

Front of House Interview

Front of House
Charlotte, NC

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at McAlister's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I went to a job fair where i met the boss. He was really cool and seemed to an upbeat guy

Interview Question – How do you feel about working with different ethnicity's.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I stayed on beat and kept eye contact

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Las Cruces, NM

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McAlister's in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied in December 2013 and was hired March 2014. This was a great, easy, fast interview. They called me at 11:00 in the morning and asked me to interview at 3:00. I came in and they sent one of the assistant managers out to start my interview. They asked me to describe myself first and went on to ask me about previous job experience and what I liked about working at that place. After the first interview, they immediately sent out another assistant manager for a second interview on the spot. She asked me how I manage conflict (this seemed like a really important question to them since it was the positive turning point of my interview). After a few simple questions, they hired me on the spot and were very flexible with my hours since I'm a full-time college student.

Interview Question – What would your previous employee say about you as a worker and person?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation but they gave me above minimum wage.

Cashier Interview

Cashier
Colorado Springs, CO

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

Interview Details – Saw posting online went into store, they were just opening the new location and had orientation a few days later. The owner met with me and asked me a few questions about myself and if I was interested. Took down my info and told me to be at orientation, I started 3 days later. Very easy and laid back.

Interview Question – None. It was very straightforward and super easy.   Answer Question

Associate General Manager Interview

Associate General Manager
Charleston, SC

I applied through other source and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McAlister's in December 2013.

Interview Details – They had a job fair. I spoke with the Regional Manager and the owners the same day. This was during the holidays they contacted my reference and did background check and called me two days after Chrtistmas and made an offer.

Interview Question – The question was about me and my expereince nothig hard. They was very interested at what i did after work. Im a volunteer with big brothers big sister they loved that.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They did not negotiation offer was good.

Kitchen Cook Interview

Kitchen Cook

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McAlister's.

Interview Details – I went to hand in my application and was asked to come back in a few days, the location had just opened and was very busy. I came back in 3 days and was asked to find a seat and someone will be interviewing shortly. The assistant manager interviewed me first asking very basic questions about job experience.

The Manager on duty interviewed me the next day with similar basic questions but was impressed with previous work experience in restaurants and quickly moved to hiring.

Interview Question – How would you handle yourself in a fast paced kitchen environment.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Because of previous experience and wage in the food industry I was given a above minimum wage.

Cook Interview

Cook
Greenville, NC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McAlister's in September 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online, received a call within the week to interview. It was a one interview process. I met with a shift manager. It was relaxed, to the point where he was borderline unprofessional. Just the typical questions to see if you're a fit.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you instead of the guy before you with almost the same resume?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations; Minimum wage.

Interviews for Top Jobs at McAlister's

Worked for McAlister's? Contribute to the Community!