McCarthy Building

16 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview Details – I signed up for an interview during an info session at school. During the interview I talked to two employees on campus. Interview consisted mostly of behavioral questions and lasted for ~20 minutes. The interviewers also went over my resume and asked specific questions about my previous experiences and activities.

Interview Question – What is something in our info session that can be done better?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university and the process took 8 weeks - interviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

Interview Details – - 2 rounds of interviews with the 2nd round in the main office. Project Directors are really down to earth and interview process is very standard/simple. Just be confident and know construction acronyms (RFIs, PCOs etc)

Interview Question – Why did you give up design for construction.   Answer Question

Project Engineer

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview Details – Talked to a person at their booth at a career fair. 4 person interview the next day. Got flown out to the office I was interested in as part of a hiring event. Several interviews at the test and assessment process (two tests in office).

Interview Question – Name a time you failed due to things within your control?   View Answer

Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McCarthy Building in July 2011.

Interview Details – It was fast

Negotiation Details – No negociations

Operations Secretary Interview

Operations Secretary
Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview Details – I was hired through a staffing agency. Just one interview, had to pass an Excel test in their office right after being interviewed by both the Project Manager and Executive Assistant. I obviously passed and was hired temp to perm in which I became permanent after 3 months.

Interview Question – I was asked to take an Excel test directly after the interview in which I had already done so through the staffing agency.   Answer Question

Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

Interview Details – This was a very through interview process including personality tests. I felt that McCarthy wanted the best people and they were willing to spend the money to sift through and fins the people that met their culture criteria and who they thought had potential.

Interview Question – What is most important to you in your life?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Take it or leave it offer for a recent college graduate.

Corporate Counsel Interview

Corporate Counsel
Saint Louis, MO

I applied online - interviewed at McCarthy Building in June 2009.

Interview Details – Two phone interviews with Head of HR, followed by in person all day interviews with CLO, CFO and HR Director. Additional application process includes, IQ test, personality questionaires and Wonderlic exam

Interview Question – Following intensive one on one and group interview with managemetn and ownership groups, one encounters 3 hours of standardized testing including teh Wonderlic exam   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied through college or university - interviewed at McCarthy Building in December 2010.

Interview Details – Very thorogh, Come prepared as McCarthy only hires the best and brightest

Interview Question – If you were an animal, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations

Saint Louis, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

Interview Details – I went to the main office in St. Louis. The first half of the day was a test over basic reading and analyzing of tables and figures. It wasnt difficult but the time limit made it very hard to finish all of the questions. The other test was a logical reasoning test and was fairly straight forward. This one was not timed. There was lunch concurrent with a couple presentations. Then 4 1:1 interviews for the second half of the day. Pretty easy interviews. Just went over your resume and maybe asked some basic questions.

Newport Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McCarthy Building in February 2008.

Interview Details – Original interview was set up through my schools career fair and was a panel interview with 4 employees of McCarthy. Second interview, contingent upon passing the first, was in the Newport Beach office with two division presidents. They fly you out to Newport Beach, have you interview, and then send you on your own, which can be a little overwhelming for those who have never driven in Southern California, to find job sites and speak with employees. Then if they feel you are a match they will call with an offer. Both interviews were traditional - walk me through your resume, why do you feel you are a good match, what can you bring to the table, etc. Dress was suit and tie for the first and business casual for the second. One piece of advice I would give is that if you know someone who is going to be, or already is, working for McCarthy reach out to them and have them put in a good word for you, it will definitely go a long way. The whole process is very slow, so be patient.

Interview Questions

• How do your previous jobs in other industries help make you a good fit for this job?   Answer Question
  • Other than school work, what do you study and/or read that will better prepare you for work in this industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In negotiating with McCarthy the salary offer was pretty spot on with what my research showed for the area, so I was happy with the initial offer and accepted it. However, I did have to negotiate more money for relocation as the amount they offered me was not what was needed for my move. They didn't bat an eye at paying for all moving expenses as long as I provided receipts. Overall McCarthy is very competitive when it comes to salary, retirement planning, benefits, moving expenses, and raises are healthy as well as bonuses. Negotiation is one thing you should not have to worry about, but if you do then just explain why you are requesting more and they will try to work with your needs. I'm not saying that you will get everything you ask for, if you try to make a killing, but they will listen to your needs.

Worked for McCarthy Building? Contribute to the Community!