McCarthy Building Interview Questions

Updated Apr 13, 2015

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building (Dallas, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview process was very smooth. Talked to a couple of recruiters at the career fair at my university, landed an interview with them at my university the day after, got invited to a career day at one of the McCarthy offices, and got a call with a job offer a week later

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years   1 Answer

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview

After the initial phone interview I had a one-on-one interview with vice president of precostruction. After the one-on one there was a personailty assessment test and also a math assessment. The math portion is timed. The questions are not too hard but the time limit makes it extremely difficult to finish. Then I got called in the next week to meet the preconstruction team. Pretty standard interview process as they want to make sure it is a good fit for both parties The panel introduces themselves first and then you talk about yourself for a little. Then the room was open for the panel to ask you specific questions.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to leave your current employer? Why McCarthy and not some other building/construction company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McCarthy Building (Dallas, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

I had six different interviews with different company reps, all which were pretty easy. Everyone was straight forward and focused their questions on getting to know me personally. It was painless and I got to learn a lot about McCarthy.

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building in February 2015.

Interview

After a telephone interview i was brought in to a one on one interview with VP of operations. the interview is pretty laid back. the questions are not difficult they are mostly looking for a good fit personality wise it seemed. After the 1 on one I was given a assessment test and background check was given. never herd from them after that. the test are pretty extensive

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building (San Francisco, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

Started off with a great phone interview, which led to an in-person interview. Two assessment tests at the office, which had nothing to do with engineering. Interviewer was late, so I spoke with two other directors until he arrived. Discussed my experiences in construction and project management in-depth. They seemed enthused and asked me a lot about when I could start and the VP even said they should consider me for APM instead of PE. Week went by and nothing, so I called HR and he said the directors couldn't make up their mind. Month went by and again, no communication. I called HR and again, he said it may be another 1-2 months before they can decide. A complete waste of my time and VERY unprofessional business conduct in my opinion. McCarthy should not waste people's time if they're not ready to make decisions. Ended up taking a great offer with another firm.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions: describe a difficult challenge and how you handled it, how do you work with teams, big projects worked on, etc.   Answer Question

College Hiring Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McCarthy Building (Provo, UT) in September 2014.

Interview

They scheduled an interview with me at the career fair. The interview was very relaxed, all of the questions are about who you are. The interview lasted for less than 30 minute. I was told that they would get back to me in a week if I get a second interview.

Interview Questions

• So you walked around yesterday(at the career fair), who else did you talk to? What do you think?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview

I signed up for an interview during an info session at school. During the interview I talked to two employees on campus. Interview consisted mostly of behavioral questions and lasted for ~20 minutes. The interviewers also went over my resume and asked specific questions about my previous experiences and activities.

Interview Questions

• What is something in our info session that can be done better?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McCarthy Building.

Interview

Talked to a person at their booth at a career fair. 4 person interview the next day. Got flown out to the office I was interested in as part of a hiring event. Several interviews at the test and assessment process (two tests in office).

Interview Questions

• Name a time you failed due to things within your control?   1 Answer

Operations Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McCarthy Building (Atlanta, GA).

Interview

I was hired through a staffing agency. Just one interview, had to pass an Excel test in their office right after being interviewed by both the Project Manager and Executive Assistant. I obviously passed and was hired temp to perm in which I became permanent after 3 months.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to take an Excel test directly after the interview in which I had already done so through the staffing agency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building (Saint Louis, MO) in March 2012.

Interview

- 2 rounds of interviews with the 2nd round in the main office. Project Directors are really down to earth and interview process is very standard/simple. Just be confident and know construction acronyms (RFIs, PCOs etc)