McCarthy Building

Updated Feb 11, 2015
Updated Feb 11, 2015

3.2

Project Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building.

After the initial phone interview I had a one-on-one interview with vice president of precostruction. After the one-on one there was a personailty assessment test and also a math assessment. The math portion is timed. The questions are not too hard but the time limit makes it extremely difficult to finish. Then I got called in the next week to meet the preconstruction team. Pretty standard interview process as they want to make sure it is a good fit for both parties The panel introduces themselves first and then you talk about yourself for a little. Then the room was open for the panel to ask you specific questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to leave your current employer? Why McCarthy and not some other building/construction company?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building in November 2014.

Started off with a great phone interview, which led to an in-person interview. Two assessment tests at the office, which had nothing to do with engineering. Interviewer was late, so I spoke with two other directors until he arrived. Discussed my experiences in construction and project management in-depth. They seemed enthused and asked me a lot about when I could start and the VP even said they should consider me for APM instead of PE. Week went by and nothing, so I called HR and he said the directors couldn't make up their mind. Month went by and again, no communication. I called HR and again, he said it may be another 1-2 months before they can decide. A complete waste of my time and VERY unprofessional business conduct in my opinion. McCarthy should not waste people's time if they're not ready to make decisions. Ended up taking a great offer with another firm.

Interview Questions
    • Standard questions: describe a difficult challenge and how you handled it, how do you work with teams, big projects worked on, etc.   Answer Question

College Hiring Interview

Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT
    Anonymous Employee in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McCarthy Building in September 2014.

They scheduled an interview with me at the career fair. The interview was very relaxed, all of the questions are about who you are. The interview lasted for less than 30 minute. I was told that they would get back to me in a week if I get a second interview.

Interview Questions
    • So you walked around yesterday(at the career fair), who else did you talk to? What do you think?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McCarthy Building.

I signed up for an interview during an info session at school. During the interview I talked to two employees on campus. Interview consisted mostly of behavioral questions and lasted for ~20 minutes. The interviewers also went over my resume and asked specific questions about my previous experiences and activities.

Interview Questions
    • What is something in our info session that can be done better?   Answer Question

Project Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McCarthy Building.

Talked to a person at their booth at a career fair. 4 person interview the next day. Got flown out to the office I was interested in as part of a hiring event. Several interviews at the test and assessment process (two tests in office).

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you failed due to things within your control?   View Answer

Operations Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McCarthy Building.

I was hired through a staffing agency. Just one interview, had to pass an Excel test in their office right after being interviewed by both the Project Manager and Executive Assistant. I obviously passed and was hired temp to perm in which I became permanent after 3 months.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to take an Excel test directly after the interview in which I had already done so through the staffing agency.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Louis, MO

I applied through college or university. The process took 8 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

- 2 rounds of interviews with the 2nd round in the main office. Project Directors are really down to earth and interview process is very standard/simple. Just be confident and know construction acronyms (RFIs, PCOs etc)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

This was a very through interview process including personality tests. I felt that McCarthy wanted the best people and they were willing to spend the money to sift through and fins the people that met their culture criteria and who they thought had potential.

Interview Questions
    Take it or leave it offer for a recent college graduate.

Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

The process took a dayinterviewed at McCarthy Building in March 2012.

I went to the main office in St. Louis. The first half of the day was a test over basic reading and analyzing of tables and figures. It wasnt difficult but the time limit made it very hard to finish all of the questions. The other test was a logical reasoning test and was fairly straight forward. This one was not timed. There was lunch concurrent with a couple presentations. Then 4 1:1 interviews for the second half of the day. Pretty easy interviews. Just went over your resume and maybe asked some basic questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McCarthy Building in July 2011.

It was fast