McCarthy Building

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Engineer Interview

Project Engineer
Newport Beach, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McCarthy Building in February 2008.

Interview Details – Original interview was set up through my schools career fair and was a panel interview with 4 employees of McCarthy. Second interview, contingent upon passing the first, was in the Newport Beach office with two division presidents. They fly you out to Newport Beach, have you interview, and then send you on your own, which can be a little overwhelming for those who have never driven in Southern California, to find job sites and speak with employees. Then if they feel you are a match they will call with an offer. Both interviews were traditional - walk me through your resume, why do you feel you are a good match, what can you bring to the table, etc. Dress was suit and tie for the first and business casual for the second. One piece of advice I would give is that if you know someone who is going to be, or already is, working for McCarthy reach out to them and have them put in a good word for you, it will definitely go a long way. The whole process is very slow, so be patient.

Interview Questions

• How do your previous jobs in other industries help make you a good fit for this job?   Answer Question
  • Other than school work, what do you study and/or read that will better prepare you for work in this industry?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In negotiating with McCarthy the salary offer was pretty spot on with what my research showed for the area, so I was happy with the initial offer and accepted it. However, I did have to negotiate more money for relocation as the amount they offered me was not what was needed for my move. They didn't bat an eye at paying for all moving expenses as long as I provided receipts. Overall McCarthy is very competitive when it comes to salary, retirement planning, benefits, moving expenses, and raises are healthy as well as bonuses. Negotiation is one thing you should not have to worry about, but if you do then just explain why you are requesting more and they will try to work with your needs. I'm not saying that you will get everything you ask for, if you try to make a killing, but they will listen to your needs.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for McCarthy Building? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McCarthy Building interview questions and advice in Los Angeles, CA. All interview reviews posted anonymously by McCarthy Building employees and interview candidates.