McCormick & Schmick's

Getting the Interview

12 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in July 2010.

Interview Details – After the initial application and the interviews from all four managers including the GM, there was a small exam to test wine fine dining seafood and steak knowledge.

Interview Question – The most difficult question was what wine suited my personality.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was so excited about the new opportunity there was no negotiation

Very Easy Interview

Private Dining Coordinator Interview

Private Dining Coordinator
Portland, OR

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in April 2009.

Interview Details – I was pretty much hired because a mid level management person suggested it. I possessed no prior experience or training.

Negotiation Details – not willing to negotiate a pay that matched the median. the company holds an attitude the staff should worker harder for less because of their reputation.

Host Interview

Skokie, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's.

Interview Details – The hiring process was nice and quick. I found out about this restaurant through a walk-in as I was just looking for jobs. I asked to speak to the manager and asked if he was hiring. He said yes. He gave me his business card and I gave him my resume. He said to apply online and he would look at my resume. About a few days later I called in to check on the status of my application. He told me to come in for an interview when I had called. I interviewed with him and it went great. He told me he would contact me for a second interview with the general manager. I was then scheduled with the general manager and this interview was a little tougher because the questions were sort of set up like behavioral based questions mixed with some other questions regarding yourself.

Interview Question – What are the five things you should about the place you work   Answer Question

Server Interview

I applied in-person and interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's.

Interview Details – The hiring process went very well. As soon as I asked if they were hiring, I was told to fill out an application. As soon as I completed the application, I was sat down with the GM who instantly gave me the job. The interview went very smoothly and I left feeling confident.

Interview Question – The most difficult question asked what my weaknesses were.   Answer Question

Pittsburgh, PA

I interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in September 2009.

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was appropriate. It required the normal application review with a callback from management for an interview. The hiring process continued with a trial 1 week training period with a serving test at the conclusion. They were happy to train and correct mistakes, without being overly stick.

Interview Question – Nothing unexpected, a normal interview process   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/A

Very Easy Interview

Hostess Interview

Hostess
Kansas City, MO

The process took a day - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in March 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online through the website was called the next day. When I got there I was greeted by the host, seated in a private snug and then asked about 500 times if I wanted something to drink. After about 10 min a manager came to interview me. Interviewed me for about 10 min then called another manager to interview me. They didn't really ask me any specifics seemed more like they wanted to see if my personality match thier team. I was offered a job that day.

Interview Question – Have you ever worked with demanding guest before?   Answer Question

Bartender Interview

Bartender
Sacramento, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in July 2009.

Interview Details – Old School style of interviewing. Interviewed by GM and Bar Manager. Basic interview questions: tell me about yourself, what's your experience, why choose us, questioned on wine and cocktails.

Interview Question – Recipes for classic cocktails.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate, it's standard that bartenders hourly starts at minimum wage.

San Jose, CA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in October 2009.

Interview Details – Originally, I dropped off my resume with the lead host at the restaurant. After I was hired, The hosts then told me that when they see how the applicant is dressed, and their mannerisms when the applicant greets the hosts, the host's will put your resume to the top of the pile, so look sharp and act confident to even get noticed. The first interview was a phone interview where they asked me where I worked last, what did I like about my last job, what am i looking for in a job with McCormick and Schmicks, etc. If they like your answers and you make a good impression then they will ask you right there for a second one-on-one interview. depending on how many managers there are you will have to interview with at least two of them and the head chef. if you make it to round three, your pretty much in. during these interviews they will ask you about wine knowledge, seat numbers, workflow, past experience, health codes, sanitation, and honesty. they will also ask you how many species of fish you know, the more you know, the better you will look in comparison to the other candidates, because that is less they have to teach you. also liquor knowledge is a plus, they have a full bar.

Interview Question – what types of wine varietals do you know, and describe two of them in detail.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The only thing I negotiated was working holidays, normally if you are hired here you are required to work holidays but i negotiated my way out of that in the beginning. I wouldn't recommend this however, they were desperate for people when they hired me, and they really wanted me with my experience so they were willing to negotiate, I don't think this is a negotiable job.

Hostess Interview

Oak Brook, IL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in August 2008.

Interview Details – Front of house manager talked to a referral and asked questions about previous jobs, and what you would do in certain situations.Some of the questions were more complicated than expected, but if you were slightly different than what they expect they explain it to you.

Interview Question – What would you do if someone walked in the door as the phone began to ring.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They can be talked into giving you a better pay than offered.

Bridgewater, NJ

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McCormick & Schmick's in April 2008.

Interview Details – Your first interview is with manager. Then with another manager. Then with the Sous Chef. Then work for 40 hours. Do a mock server with 2 managers and 1 chef. Then afer investing 2 weeks you find out if you are officially hired.

Interview Question – How to handle difficult patron   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Never. Base wage plus tips

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for McCormick & Schmick's? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McCormick & Schmick's interview questions and advice. All 12 interview reviews posted anonymously by McCormick & Schmick's employees and interview candidates.