McDermott Will & Emery

McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions

2.8

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery.

Unorganized and unprofessional. The first round interview was rescheduled in both time and location 4 times on the day it was supposed to occur, to accomodate the "schedule" of a partner who prefers to "work from home" rather than keep a disciplined schedule.

Once at the firm, I found all of the associates dejected, and unhappy. I had to ask around, because MWE only had partners participate in the hiring process. The rising star partner in the office sat down to interview me. Without breaking eye contact from his beloved iPhone, he asked me where I got me EE degree from, heard my answer, and left the interview. That was the last I heard from him, even though I took the job, and stayed for a few years.

Interview Questions
    The firm tried to bait and switch me into accepting a contractor position when I interviewed for an associate position. The firm ended up hiring me on as an associate with a higher pay scale than my class year was worth at the time. The partner's incompetence extended even to their negotiations with a prospective associate.

Marketing Database Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in May 2013.

I applied for the position online through the company website. About 5 days later I was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview to discuss the position. She asked me basic questions about my related experience, why I wanted the job, why law, etc. About a week later she contacted me to schedule an in-person interview with the manager when she would be in the city a couple weeks later. I came in for the interview and met with the recruiter again for a little bit and then met with the manager. Both were extremely friendly and I felt completely at ease. They were both very personable, which made the process much more enjoyable than you would expect with a big law firm. I left the interview smiling because they were both so friendly, and it made me feel that it went really well.

Interview Questions
    I didn't try to negotiate as it's an entry-level position. I was happy with my offer and eagerly accepted it.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in September 2012.

The interview was set up through a headhunter. The interview process was very short. There were two separate people who interviewed me, the second looked at me like I was an insect. I knew right away I didn't have the job nor did I want to work there.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty basic, nothing came out of left field. This is my area of expertise and I believe my resume and knowledge spoke to that.   Answer Question

Case Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in April 2011.

I was emailed to set up a phone interview with the Office Administrator. It went really well and I was told she wanted to set me up with an interview with a partner. I was emailed with the date and time. The next day, I was told they were 'going in a different direction' and that the in-person interview was cancelled.

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in June 2010.

The initial interview was with the HR department and then the second interview was with HR and then the head of the legal assistant group. Both interviewers put me at ease and gave me ample opportunity to ask questions as well as really expand on my previous experience. The next round of interviews was with the attorneys I would have been working with. Again, very nice group of individuals and they put me at ease quickly. But I did my homework and I'm glad I did. They really wanted me prove that I knew my job inside and out by how I talked about my position, what I was able to do, what I knew about the field, etc. My last interview with the head of the department was a little more intimidating and very hard to read. After so many interviews I really was unsure of where I stood at that point. I knew they had been looking for someone for quite some time and I wasn't sure if I made the cut.

Interview Questions

I chose to decline only because I needed two days a month with flexible hours. The agency I was going through assured me this would not be a problem. However, the HR department did not know about my need at all (the agency lied to me). They had already made a generous financial offer and were unable to provide any type of flexible hours, even if it was only two days a month.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery in May 2012.

Initial Interview with HR then Interview with Partner - General Questions regarding CV and former work experience including detailed questions about explicit experience.

Interview Questions
    • Future outlook on Investors Relationship between China - EU - Red Flags and opportunities   View Answer