McDermott Will & Emery Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

2.6

Guest Services Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled to be there for 45mins. The dress code was business casual and my interview was with the Human Resources Coordinator. It felt very informal and rushed. I was asked for my salary requirement but did not give an answer as I wanted to think it over and make sure I wasn't short changing myself. I emailed my answer the next day along with a thank you statement and never heard back from them. I emailed a week later requesting a decision either way, but never received a reply via email or in writing. They are very unprofessional!

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little bit about yourself?   1 Answer

Legal Secretary Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (New York, NY) in May 2015.

Interview

Very brief. They were already sold on my resume/experience/skills. It was over the phone and all I had to do was show up when they needed me to start. I was very excited as I wanted to work for this firm for quite sometime. The people are great and I wish I didn't have to leave.

Analyst Postion Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First interview was within two weeks on the phone with HR for 15 minutes of pre-screening. There was a second interview a month later with HR and two manager. The interview went really well and managers and HR were very informative and ask great questions. I felt very comfortable and was interested in working for the company for the position. Thought everything went well. A few days later had a phone interview with the director for 30 minutes. It was a really good interview and was great to get to know the Director. Director recommend me for the job to HR. A couple days later HR asked me for my references and background checked. I immediately sent the information to HR. After five weeks of waiting for a response on the position, I emailed my HR contact. After two weeks of waiting for an email response or a rejection letter, still there has been no response. I figured I didn't get the position, because during the whole 2 month interviewing processing my HR contact would respond to my emails within in 1-3 days.

Interview Questions

• Interview question were relevant to the job position and how my previous work experiences would tie into the new position. Interviewing style was conversational which made it easier to answer someone of the more thoughtful questions.   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery.

Interview

Everything seemed fine... until they turned into the most unprofessional firm I've ever encountered after an interview. I received an email asking for a phone interview 2 days after I applied. When I confirmed the phone interview for the next morning by email, I then received a phone call about 1 hour later explaining that they wished to skip the phone interview and bring me in for an interview immediately. The next morning, I met with 4 people, 2 through video conference from other offices, 2 from the local office, including the HR Manager. The interview lasted almost 2.5 hours, and it seemed to have gone really well. The next morning I awoke to an email asking for my availability for a second interview. As it was a week before Christmas, I had to wait a week for an out-of-town interviewer to come to Chicago. I met with 3 people upon my second interview, including 1 HR rep from a different office. Again, it went rather well. As it was only a day or two before Christmas, I didn't expect to hear back until after the holiday, or the very the latest, after the new year. I sent thank you emails, as I had for the first interview. I never received a response, but that is usually customary. The new year came and went, nothing came - no phone call, no email. I sent an email to the Chicago HR Manager asking for an update on the status of my application, again expressing my interest in the position. No response. The following week, I sent an email to the Recruiting and Operations Manager that I had previously met with. Again, no response. I was starting to become paranoid that my emails were suddenly not going through. I decided to try once again and emailed the other HR rep I had met upon my second interview. No response. The days and weeks passed with no response from a single person I'd met, or the people I'd sent emails to asking about the status of the application/position. At that point, I realized that I obviously didn't get the position and stopped emailing and never called. There would have been no point. Obviously, MWE is not obligated to provide any candidate with a rejection email/letter, but considering I sent three emails that were so blatantly ignored and purposely left without a response, their unprofessionalism is unprecedented. Not one but TWO HR representatives decided to leave my emails without a response rather than to simply have told me that they decided to go with another candidate. And they can't use the excuse that they were still looking for candidates as, after my first interview, the position was taken down. It was reposted just a week ago, about two weeks after my last email. When I got the first call for an interview, I was thrilled at the prospect of potentially working there. At this point, I wouldn't want to work for such a firm. Never have I encountered this amount of blatant disregard for any kind of professional courtesy from an HR department. My experience in recruiting, especially in law recruiting, has demonstrated that the area is usually known for its formality and compliance. McDermott obviously is above all of that. UPDATE: 2 days after posting this review, I was sent a rejection email - standard/formulated and with no reference to the 3 emails I'd sent before.

Associate Attorney Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Palo Alto, CA).

Interview

Unorganized and unprofessional. The first round interview was rescheduled in both time and location 4 times on the day it was supposed to occur, to accomodate the "schedule" of a partner who prefers to "work from home" rather than keep a disciplined schedule. Once at the firm, I found all of the associates dejected, and unhappy. I had to ask around, because MWE only had partners participate in the hiring process. The rising star partner in the office sat down to interview me. Without breaking eye contact from his beloved iPhone, he asked me where I got me EE degree from, heard my answer, and left the interview. That was the last I heard from him, even though I took the job, and stayed for a few years.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

The firm tried to bait and switch me into accepting a contractor position when I interviewed for an associate position. The firm ended up hiring me on as an associate with a higher pay scale than my class year was worth at the time. The partner's incompetence extended even to their negotiations with a prospective associate.

Marketing Database Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in May 2013.

Interview

I applied for the position online through the company website. About 5 days later I was contacted by a recruiter for a brief phone interview to discuss the position. She asked me basic questions about my related experience, why I wanted the job, why law, etc. About a week later she contacted me to schedule an in-person interview with the manager when she would be in the city a couple weeks later. I came in for the interview and met with the recruiter again for a little bit and then met with the manager. Both were extremely friendly and I felt completely at ease. They were both very personable, which made the process much more enjoyable than you would expect with a big law firm. I left the interview smiling because they were both so friendly, and it made me feel that it went really well.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't try to negotiate as it's an entry-level position. I was happy with my offer and eagerly accepted it.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in September 2012.

Interview

The interview was set up through a headhunter. The interview process was very short. There were two separate people who interviewed me, the second looked at me like I was an insect. I knew right away I didn't have the job nor did I want to work there.

Interview Questions

• The questions were pretty basic, nothing came out of left field. This is my area of expertise and I believe my resume and knowledge spoke to that.   Answer Question

Case Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Palo Alto, CA) in April 2011.

Interview

I was emailed to set up a phone interview with the Office Administrator. It went really well and I was told she wanted to set me up with an interview with a partner. I was emailed with the date and time. The next day, I was told they were 'going in a different direction' and that the in-person interview was cancelled.

Legal Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Chicago, IL) in June 2010.

Interview

The initial interview was with the HR department and then the second interview was with HR and then the head of the legal assistant group. Both interviewers put me at ease and gave me ample opportunity to ask questions as well as really expand on my previous experience. The next round of interviews was with the attorneys I would have been working with. Again, very nice group of individuals and they put me at ease quickly. But I did my homework and I'm glad I did. They really wanted me prove that I knew my job inside and out by how I talked about my position, what I was able to do, what I knew about the field, etc. My last interview with the head of the department was a little more intimidating and very hard to read. After so many interviews I really was unsure of where I stood at that point. I knew they had been looking for someone for quite some time and I wasn't sure if I made the cut.

Interview Questions

I chose to decline only because I needed two days a month with flexible hours. The agency I was going through assured me this would not be a problem. However, the HR department did not know about my need at all (the agency lied to me). They had already made a generous financial offer and were unable to provide any type of flexible hours, even if it was only two days a month.

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McDermott Will & Emery (Shanghai, Shanghai (China)) in May 2012.

Interview

Initial Interview with HR then Interview with Partner - General Questions regarding CV and former work experience including detailed questions about explicit experience.

Interview Questions

• Future outlook on Investors Relationship between China - EU - Red Flags and opportunities   1 Answer