McDonald's UK

2.0

Grill Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merced, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merced, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McDonald's UK in October 2011.

Interview was simple asked a lot of common questions like do u work well under pressure,do u like working in a team etc.

Crew Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McDonald's UK.

Applied online, invited to an assessment centre and initial interview. During the initial interview, they asked when I was available for second interview in the store I'd be working in. I went to the second interview that afternoon, and started two days later.

Interview Questions
    • Why this company, are you prepared to do every job (lobby, kitchen, drive-thru), is there any job you wouldn't want to do...   Answer Question

Mcdonalds Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norwich, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McDonald's UK in February 2015.

I applied online and received an email two days later asking me to book an interview slot. I arrived 10 minutes early and was offered a drink. It was really busy during the breakfast rush so I had ow wait about 15 minutes for the manager to be free. He then told me I'd be working on the driver thru window giving the food out for 15 mins. I already knew this was coming as I'd been told about the OJE. The girl I was working along side was really friendly and made feel at ease. I had to hand over the food to the customers and ask I'd they wanted any sugars or sauces. Tip is to be friendly and smile! Sounds cheesy but it's not difficult, they don't want someone who literally can't even say hello to a customer. I ended up doing the OJE for 30 minutes but didn't mind as it flew by. I then went for the interview which lasted about 10 minutes. He asked my availability and flexibility regarding shifts, if I'd ever left a job in bad terms, if I'd ever had any fall outs with staff members. Nothing too difficult. He then asked my sizes for uniform and told me if I'd been successful I would get an email the following friday. All day I was checking my inbox and by 4:30 I was convinced I hadn't got it but at 5pm I got the message saying I'd got the job! I then had to pick a time slot for the welcome meeting. The following week I went and it was pretty laid back and easy. We were told about uniform standards, when we get paid etc and then I had to do a health and safety test on the PC. Previous to the come meeting I received lots of emails with information and access to the training website which was very useful.

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nottingham, England (UK)

The interview process was pretty simple, we went through personal details like address, phone numbers, then the number of hours I could work, what else I am doing- full time education at college, what I plan to do after this year. Next he asked me the form of transport I would use to get to work, in my case two busses. He showed that he was interested in how I would get to and from work and if I would be okay, and what time my last bus was, so that made me feel like the company doesn't just make you work till late and then not care if you can get home or not. We then went through some more details like how I applied for the job and simple things.

Then we went through the interview questions, as discussed in more detail below. This whole process took no longer than 30 minutes.

Then we went on to the oje training, where I was given a jacket and shown round to the drive through window 2, where I was shown what to do and and to take part in it myself. The key here is to have a smile on your face, look happy, talk to whoever is teaching you, and ask questions. The more questions the better. Have a think before you go to the interview about any extras you really want to know, or ask ones you already know just do it looks like you're really keen!

Interview Questions
    • I had done some research the night before about interview questions that might be asked, and a few of them came up. This is because they have a standard from that they have to complete, and they have set questions to ask you, their is boxes for them to write your answer down underneath and their is a few tick boxes.

One of the key questions they ask is why you want to work at McDonalds. You have to be truthful, so mention how you would work well as a team, and with others, your passion to serve customers and make them happy- McDonald's centers around the customer service! Tell them how learning to work in efficiently in a fast pace environment is a key skill to learn. Whatever you say you must relate it to McDonald's. It's a good idea to prepare a few lines beforehand.

They will ask you what respect means. This is one of the questions that I read online, it is on the form that they fill out. I think they pick and choose questions on there and don't ask all of them, so having an answer for this one beforehand is a good idea! In my interview, I said that it means having a mutual respect for others, even if you don't get on with them, listing to people, taking the time to listen, communicate and help others, and appreciating everybody's views even if you don't agree with them! You could look up the definition and then expand on it.

They asked me who is my role model and why. Again, I found this question in another McDonald's interview so I had chance to think about my answer before I went. They want you to say someone that is close to you, or someone that has done something special, not necessarily a celebrity. At a push you could try to relate it back to working at McDonald's. They're looking for someone who inspires you or that means a lot. I said my role model is my granddad, because all his life he had been working hard, at one time he had 3 jobs at once to make a living so he could support his family. I told them that he was commuted to working and showed me that you have to do whatever it takes in order to be successful, then I related it back to how working at McDonald's would give me vital work experience, and how I want to become more independent and start earning money to support myself. Be truthful, tell them who inspired you.

Their was a tick box question next, he asked which is more important: providing a friendly customer service or a fast one. This is just common sense, it's obviously a friendly customer service, McDonald's focus around the customer experience. The guy who interviewed me said theirs a lot of people that get that question wrong. Remember this then you'll be okay, it's not an interrogation, it's just a simple question.

Now I went for two interviews at two different McDonald's, I got the job with the first interview above, but the other interview has different questions, their wasnt the same sheet that the guy above had to fill out, it was a different set of questions.

One of them was tell me the last time you delt with a tricky customer and what you did to resolve it. This really comes down to personal experiences, if you've had some work experience before, or have had a previous job then you should be okay, but as I'd never had a job before I found this more difficult. Instead, I told them about a fundraising event I dod, in which I worked on the sales side, like selling cakes, tickets etc. and my encounter with a difficult customer.

Then he asked me what was the last task of job I did that I didn't enjoy and why. This one is there to catch people out. Again, it's down to personal experiences, but don't mention anything to do with working as a team, working quickly, or anything that could be related to working at McDonald'sor they'll think you're not up to it. Go for something like being unable to help someone in a test or assesment and feeling bad, or waiting around after finishing a task and not having anything to do because you always like to keep busy when working.

Answer Question
    • Why you want to work at McDonalds?   Answer Question
    • Who is your role model and why?   Answer Question
    • What does the word respect mean?   Answer Question
    • What is more important: providing a friendly customer service or a fast speedy service?   View Answers (2)

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McDonald's UK in February 2015.

Applied online heard back in a week through an email, interview was a week in advance.
    Arrived to the interview early, sat down at one of the tables the manager came over asked me some questions, went through my application, talked about job roles.
    Then I had to put on uniform, as I did one of the other workers made a rude coment about me.
    I then got shown where hands had to be washed, and where the food was prepared, the place was small and the staff room was tiny, the floor was wet throughout the entire floor behind the tills, the place was kept dirty. I had to hand out food to people in the drive way and say 'enjoy your meal' it was a quiet time so I only did this with 3 customers.
    After getting changed I was told thanks for attending and I would hear back later that day.
    I never heard back and it has been 4 days. I'm just going to assume I hadn't been successful, I'm not really sure what I did wrong as I was overly nice to customers and available all the time and had answered all interview questions.

Interview Questions
    • Why did you apply?
      Who is your role model?
      When are you available?
      What does respect mean to you?
      What is more important, a fast or friendly service?
      Why is it important to look and dress smartly?

View Answer

Crew Member Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McDonald's UK in January 2015.

Applied online, got offered to a group interview/OJE, got there and there was 17 of us. Most people were younger than me i was 2nd oldest and i'm 22. We were taken upstairs and asked to introduce ourselves and our past experience. Then we were asked our biggest achievment in life, why we wanted to work at mcdonalds and if we were a brand what brand would we be and why. Then we went downstairs for a 1:1. All questions about customer care and previous experience was asked. Really friendly staff, got offered the Job 3 days later. Dont be nervous and just get yourself prepared.

Interview Questions
    • If you were a brand what brand would you be and why?
      What does respect mean to you?
      Who's your biggest Role model?
      Whats your biggest achievment?
      Customer service related questions.

View Answer
    I don't think you can negotiate much tbh. The pay is what you expect, and you filled out your availability, if you said you can work whenever, then i'm sure you will work whenever they want you to.

Crew Member Interview

Applied with a CV to the store manager through a friend of a friend: got a recommendation from him. Had to keep on rearranging my interview three times due to store managers poor organisation. I Interviewed in t-shirts and board shorts and got the job in five minutes. Go figure.

Crew Member Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McDonald's UK.

Online test gets you an interview. This isn't a real interview all you do is write your hours and what store you are applying for and the recruitment person will tell you where to go for an induction.
    The induction is just watching a couple dvds and sign the contract. They tell you then to go to the store you'll be working to get shown around and give bank details and pick up uniform. Oh you have to take another test online on food hygiene and h and s after they give you your login dtails for ourlounge.

None

Mcdonalds Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uxbridge, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Uxbridge, England (UK)

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McDonald's UK in June 2014.

I applied by sending my email and I got a response after 1 or 2 days. The interview was very easy, it was more like a conversation. I believe that they had already chosen to employ me but they just wanted to meet me in person. The shift manager just asked me questions about my personality.

Crew Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Goole, England (UK)
    Anonymous Employee in Goole, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McDonald's UK in May 2014.

Applied online for a Full Time Fully Flexible role, I had applied to MacDonald's before so all my details and 'situational question' answers were saved. 2 days later received an interview invitation, for 3 days later. On the day of the interview I went to front counter and said "I'm a bit early but I have an interview at 2, do you know what I should do?" the staff told me to wait in the seating area. Interviewer came and took me into the locker room as the restaurant was too busy. He asked me to tell him about myself, and asked questions about how I'd work in a team, show attention to detail, deal with an aggressive or rude customer, cope with multiple things being asked of me at the same time. All these asked for example but it was 'okay if I didn't have one'. They interviewer was really friendly and enthusiastic. Then I left my things in the locker room and he took me to the drive-thru window where I did the On Job Evaluation (OJE), literally just handing food and drinks to customers or asking them to park around the corner to wait for their order, and being really polite etc. After that we went back to the locker room to get my stuff and he told me they'd be in touch within a few days and if I was successful I would get a second interview with a manager. Received 2 emails 3.5 hours later telling me I had been unsuccessful but no feedback could be given.
    I feel like the interview and OJE went well and the only compromising factor was that I told the interviewer that I only wanted the job at that store for 3 months (as I'd be moving back to University in September).

Interview Questions
    • Can you give me an example of a time when you've dealt with someone who is rude or aggressive towards you?   View Answer