McGill University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Tour Guide Interview

Tour Guide
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGill University in February 2011.

Interview Details – 2 interviews, done by different supervisors. Pretty standard questions ranging from how much you know about the university, why you want to be a tour guide, etc. Felt that they were trying to gauge one's personality more than anything, as that is half the job.

Interview Question – No real difficult questions, mostly standard.   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Paris (France)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at McGill University in April 2014.

Interview Details – The whole interview process took about 2 month but was perfectly arranged when i consider how far i am.

Interview Question – What are you bringing to this research team?   Answer Question

Researcher Interview

Researcher
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at McGill University in January 2012.

Interview Details – I needed to submit an application for the job. After my references were checked, I was alerted that I had received an interview. I met first with the office which was looking to hire me. I was able to ask questions about the position and get a feel for what they were looking for. In the final round, I met with the specific researcher who I was going to be working under. I feel like his approval was the most important.

Interview Question – How will the place you grew up in help you with succeeding at this job?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really wasn't one.

PhD Candidate Interview

PhD Candidate
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McGill University in January 2010.

Interview Details – By email to professors with interested field, and make sure of the follow up.

Interview Question – I was not challenged by any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Teaching Assistant Interview

Teaching Assistant

Interviewed at McGill University

Interview Details – you have to submit your application online and talk to your department secretary. Write down your preferences for types of courses and most of the time, they will accommodate with your preferences.

Interview Question – there wasn't a formal interview as each registered graduate student is expected to take a position like this. If they think your previous working experience is ok enough, you will get the offer.   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

Administrative Assistant

Interviewed at McGill University

Interview Details – The first step was a brief telephone interview. Then, there were two proficiency exams. One was to test Microsoft Office skills, the other to test basic reasoning and math. Both were average tests, like the ones found online. The last step was a panel interview with two managers. The questions were standard behavioural questions.

Interview Question – Name some of your weaknesses   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McGill University.

Interview Details – I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in September 2011. I knocked all the professors in my field of interest. My current supervisor asked me to apply to the university program and then after getting my offer letter my current supervisor enrolled me as his graduate research assistant.
- Interview lasted for about 20 minutes
- Went through resume, discussed relevant experience, and answered fairly standard questions

Interview Question – I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in January 2011.   Answer Question

Animal Health Technician Interview

Animal Health Technician

Interviewed at McGill University

Interview Details – -kind of sketchy process (no real interview, just checked 1 reference)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation because was told position was unionized.

Administrative Coordinator Interview

Administrative Coordinator
Downtown (British Indian Ocean Territory)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McGill University in November 2012.

Interview Details – , very informalApplied online and received a interview 4 days later. Interview was average

Interview Question – Why do I want to work at McGill University   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None, it was a contract union position

Accounts Administrator Interview

Accounts Administrator
Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McGill University.

Interview Details – It was rather simply. I was referred by an employee who asked me to come in for a sit down with her boss. It was really very general and informal. Nothing in particular to prepare for. Then I spoke to the person I would be working with on the same day in a separate office. Was a breeze just conversational. The people in general were very nice but the job was actually underwhelming given I had higher expectations.

Negotiation Details – There was none. First job out of university in a shrinking financial market.

Interviews for Top Jobs at McGill University

Worked for McGill University? Contribute to the Community!