McGill University

Updated Jan 19, 2015
Updated Jan 19, 2015

2.5

Faculty Lecturer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGill University.

Was first contacted by department coordinator, 2 interviews followed. One with the department coordinator, the other with the head of the department. My offer received within one week.

BI Architect Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at McGill University.

Interview process is quite tedious, too many peoples in the interviews room, interview last for 1H30 and a 1 hour academic test immediately after this long interview that test should last for 2 hours as it is almost impossible to complete within one hour

The atmosphere in the interview room where also quite cold

Interview Questions
    • This is a Bi , and was asked question about network stuff ...   Answer Question

Work environment too strict.

Senior Administrative Coordinator Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McGill University in December 2014.

The first approach was a phone interview that started explaining the fact that although this was a position of responsibilities the hour wage was quite low. Then we passed to general matters, such as are you currently working, how much time will you need to change jobs, what do you know about McGill and the question of why do you want to work for McGill was posed twice. The second call was to set an interview with HR and the person leaving the job.
    The interview with HR was quite long, almost 1 hour. They pose a lot of questions including: what do you currently do, explain your tasks, what are your strong points, what are your weakness, give an example of how who'll you get a long with a difficult colleague, what computer skills do you have.
    The same day they asked me to have an interview right away with the head of the department. Many of the questions already answered were repeated and some new added: why do you want to work for Mc Gill, where do you see yourself in 5 years, why leave your current job were you have been for x number of years.
    I got to question back both HR and the head of the department. I emphasized that the first reason to change jobs was to have a better balance between work and family. That seemed to be an issue with the interviewer who expected full availability beyond the regular working hours. I agreed to a certain degree, but not as my current job were extra long hours is the rule and not the rare occasion.

Interview Questions
    • Where do I see myself in 5 years and after I explained by career ideal, why haven't you contacted directly the person for whom you want to work at McGill?   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

I found the Professor whose research interests is same as my M.S thesis, so I send him an email.
    I was contact by him in 2 months by phone. He asked what courses I took during my master and some details about my thesis work. After very short discussion, he offered me the position.
    I think the critical point here is that there is very good matching between my thesis and his research.

Interview Questions
    • None. All questions are very basic, if you really did the work.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

I was looking into professors webpages that interest me, and found an interesting research topic. The professor was looking for graduate student, and posted the requirements. I contacted her by email, and sent my CV. She asked me to present my previous research work via Skype.The interview went well, and I sent my application to the university. Eventually, I got accepted by the department under her supervision.

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were relevant to my previous research work.   Answer Question

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

They don't contact you unless they're interested, and even then sometimes the hiring process can be dragged out over several months. Super standard interviews. Nothing outside of the box. HR is still very old-school when it comes to interviews (for the most part; some departments are more creative). Make sure to do some research into whatever department you're applying into as there are generally a question or two that you'd score better on if you had that additional knowledge.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you negotiate your salary from the start, because it is really difficult to get much more after the fact (unless you change positions)

Teaching Assistant Interview

you have to submit your application online and talk to your department secretary. Write down your preferences for types of courses and most of the time, they will accommodate with your preferences.

Interview Questions
    • there wasn't a formal interview as each registered graduate student is expected to take a position like this. If they think your previous working experience is ok enough, you will get the offer.   Answer Question

Boursier Postdoctoral Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paris (France)

(Translated from English)

I applied through college or university. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at McGill University in April 2014.

Tout le processus d'entretien a duré environ deux mois, mais parfaitement organisé lorsque je vois où je suis rendu(e).

The whole interview process took about 2 month but was perfectly arranged when i consider how far i am.

Interview Questions
    • Qu'allez-vous apporter à cette équipe de recherche ?   What are you bringing to this research team?   Answer Question

Administrative Assistant Interview

The first step was a brief telephone interview. Then, there were two proficiency exams. One was to test Microsoft Office skills, the other to test basic reasoning and math. Both were average tests, like the ones found online. The last step was a panel interview with two managers. The questions were standard behavioural questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in September 2011. I knocked all the professors in my field of interest. My current supervisor asked me to apply to the university program and then after getting my offer letter my current supervisor enrolled me as his graduate research assistant.
    - Interview lasted for about 20 minutes
    - Went through resume, discussed relevant experience, and answered fairly standard questions

Interview Questions
    • I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in January 2011.   Answer Question