McGill University

2.4

26 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

They don't contact you unless they're interested, and even then sometimes the hiring process can be dragged out over several months. Super standard interviews. Nothing outside of the box. HR is still very old-school when it comes to interviews (for the most part; some departments are more creative). Make sure to do some research into whatever department you're applying into as there are generally a question or two that you'd score better on if you had that additional knowledge.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you negotiate your salary from the start, because it is really difficult to get much more after the fact (unless you change positions)

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University.

I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in September 2011. I knocked all the professors in my field of interest. My current supervisor asked me to apply to the university program and then after getting my offer letter my current supervisor enrolled me as his graduate research assistant.
    - Interview lasted for about 20 minutes
    - Went through resume, discussed relevant experience, and answered fairly standard questions

Interview Questions
    • I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in January 2011.   Answer Question

Accounts Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at McGill University.

It was rather simply. I was referred by an employee who asked me to come in for a sit down with her boss. It was really very general and informal. Nothing in particular to prepare for. Then I spoke to the person I would be working with on the same day in a separate office. Was a breeze just conversational. The people in general were very nice but the job was actually underwhelming given I had higher expectations.

There was none. First job out of university in a shrinking financial market.

Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGill University.

Through referral and previous web management experience; Know Drupal (CMS used by McGill) and you'll be useful to A LOT of professors/departments who need their sites updated

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particular; If you have previous experience working with Drupal (CMS) or have built websites before, show your work and you'll be competitive (there are a lot of opportunities to manage sites at this institution)   Answer Question
    Cited previous hourly wage ($15/hour) and employer agreed

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through other source – interviewed at McGill University.

Did not require an interview

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Salary was fixed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGill University in September 2012.

contact a professor on the phone, and asked me about my background and associated modeling skills, very causal, and brought me to a lunch.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGill University.

I e-mailed a professor to ask for a position in her lab, we discussed my transcript and my CV and she said she would take me on as a volunteer.

Interview Questions
    I asked for a position and she said okay.

Faculty Lecturer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGill University in August 2012.

I had been working as a teaching assistant for the course for almost 4 years. One year, the faculty needed sometime to teach the course (serve as a faculty lecturer), so i was shortlisted among the possible candidates, by the senior professors on the department. The professor who originally used to teach the course, invited me to his office and conducted an interview. After a few days, i got an official offer to teach the course, which i accepted.

Interview Questions
    • How much and why am i interested in teaching a course, and why that course in particular.   View Answer
    No negotiation, the package for a faculty lecturer at McGill is fixed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at McGill University in April 2012.

Well I knew someone who was doing postdoc. I got asked a couple of questions and got in.

Homecoming Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McGill University in January 2012.

Just ask expected questions like walk me through your CV. Really look for students willing to show commitment for at least the end of homecoming season and with basic data computer skills.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult question would be to present your own idea on how to change homecoming around   Answer Question