McGill University Interview Questions & Reviews in Montreal, QC Canada

2.4

25 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McGill University.

They don't contact you unless they're interested, and even then sometimes the hiring process can be dragged out over several months. Super standard interviews. Nothing outside of the box. HR is still very old-school when it comes to interviews (for the most part; some departments are more creative). Make sure to do some research into whatever department you're applying into as there are generally a question or two that you'd score better on if you had that additional knowledge.

Interview Questions
    Make sure you negotiate your salary from the start, because it is really difficult to get much more after the fact (unless you change positions)

Academic Planner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at McGill University in July 2010.

As with most jobs at McGill, I was told about it by a friend who was a friend of the person hiring. If you don't know someone at McGill, you have little chance of actually getting a job there. The interview was collegial and the questions were out of a textbook. At one point they asked me about an impossible situation to resolve and simply told them that the situation was impossible to resolve with an outcome that would satisfy the person I was serving and I would have to accept that. They seemed satisfied with my lack of personal investment in perfection.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected and nothing anyone with a brain couldn't answer.   Answer Question
    You need to get as much as you can in the initial offer because raises are set at minuscule increments afterwards.

Tour Guide Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGill University in February 2011.

2 interviews, done by different supervisors. Pretty standard questions ranging from how much you know about the university, why you want to be a tour guide, etc. Felt that they were trying to gauge one's personality more than anything, as that is half the job.

Researcher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at McGill University in January 2012.

I needed to submit an application for the job. After my references were checked, I was alerted that I had received an interview. I met first with the office which was looking to hire me. I was able to ask questions about the position and get a feel for what they were looking for. In the final round, I met with the specific researcher who I was going to be working under. I feel like his approval was the most important.

Interview Questions
    • How will the place you grew up in help you with succeeding at this job?   View Answer
    There really wasn't one.

PhD Candidate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McGill University in January 2010.

By email to professors with interested field, and make sure of the follow up.

Interview Questions
    • I was not challenged by any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at McGill University.

I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in September 2011. I knocked all the professors in my field of interest. My current supervisor asked me to apply to the university program and then after getting my offer letter my current supervisor enrolled me as his graduate research assistant.
    - Interview lasted for about 20 minutes
    - Went through resume, discussed relevant experience, and answered fairly standard questions

Interview Questions
    • I applied online - interviewed at McGill University in January 2011.   Answer Question

Accounts Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McGill University.

It was rather simply. I was referred by an employee who asked me to come in for a sit down with her boss. It was really very general and informal. Nothing in particular to prepare for. Then I spoke to the person I would be working with on the same day in a separate office. Was a breeze just conversational. The people in general were very nice but the job was actually underwhelming given I had higher expectations.

There was none. First job out of university in a shrinking financial market.

Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGill University.

Through referral and previous web management experience; Know Drupal (CMS used by McGill) and you'll be useful to A LOT of professors/departments who need their sites updated

Interview Questions
    • Nothing particular; If you have previous experience working with Drupal (CMS) or have built websites before, show your work and you'll be competitive (there are a lot of opportunities to manage sites at this institution)   Answer Question
    Cited previous hourly wage ($15/hour) and employer agreed

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through other source - interviewed at McGill University.

Did not require an interview

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation. Salary was fixed.

Student Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Montreal, QC (Canada)

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McGill University in December 2010.

Everything was easy, just asked general questions, want to see if you know anything about serving food and stuff.

Interview Questions
    • They asked basic questions nothing unexpected you basically just need to know someone working there who is in good terms with the boss to get an interview and a job.   Answer Question

Worked for McGill University? Contribute to the Community!