McGladrey LLP

Average Difficulty
39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Audit Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details – On campus interview by a senior manager, who was accompanied by a few first years. The next day I was invited to head down to the office for more interviews. For the in-office interview, I interviewed with four people - a senior, a supervisor, a manager, and a partner.

Interview Question – Be prepared to ask a lot of questions during the interview. In my case, more than one of the interviewers essentially asked me to interview them.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Question – 1) Tell me about yourself
2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
4) Why public and not private?
5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
7) Run me down with your resume
8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

**Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation**
  View Answer

Interviewed at McGladrey LLP

Interview Details – I was surprised at how relaxed and conversational the first interview went. The employees were all extremely informative and excited to tell you about their experience at McGladrey. Most of the interview we discussed my abroad experience and some past work at my internship.

Interview Question – There was nothing unexpected or difficult!   Answer Question

Davenport, IA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details – First round interview on campus. Very conversation, no behavioral type questions whatsoever. Really just getting a sense of whether or not you're a complete social weirdo I believe. Waited a few days and received a call back that informed me I had passed through to the next round, which were in office interviews. The night before the in office interview, we were taken as a group of candidates (probably 20 of us - tax and audit combined) out for a nice dinner. At the dinner you're given an opportunity to sit and mingle with a few partners. It's a nice way to calm the nerves as you get to meet your interviewer(s) in a less formal setting.

Next morning there are a series of 3, 1-on-1, 30-minute interviews. All are with a partner or director. My 3 interviewers all seemed like nice and comfortable folks to speak with. There is no script that each interviewer appeared to be following. All interviews were very conversational, and quite honestly, very comfortable. Well, as comfortable as those things can be. Most had the same questions: "Why do you want to work in Public Accounting (vs. private)?", "What appeals to you about Audit (or tax)?",..."What are your interests outside of school and work?". Also, this was for an entry level position.

Interview Question – There honestly were no real difficult questions in my 4 total interviews. Very relaxed, 1-on-1 sort of conversational interview. Was actually surprised that I didn't have to field a single "...give me a time you did this or that..." question. Surprised and thankful. Not a huge fan of those.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2012.

Interview Details – Met with a recruiter at career fair. Got invited for an interview and pre-night dinner on campus. Everyone was very personable. I had the chance to meet my interview at the dinner to calm down nerves. Interview the next day was pretty basic, with behavioral type questions and I was invited to an office interview in chicago a few weeks later. There were about 50 other interviewees there that day from a few other midwest schools. Interviewed with a partner and a senior manager. Again behavioral based questions. Pretty open and friendly.

Interview Question – What is your greatest achievement to date?   View Answer

Davis, CA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in January 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview as first round

Interview Question – What makes you suitable for the job of an auditor?   Answer Question

Audit Associate

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details – campus interviews and then an in-house interview

Interview Question – just asked about myself   Answer Question

Tysons Corner, VA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2012.

Interview Details – I had an on-campus interview with a Director (Manager), and got an email to come in for an office visit. The HR Recruiters were very friendly, energetic, and proud to work for the firm. I interviewed with a Partner, then a Senior Associate. The Partner was more formal, and the Senior Associate was more informal and they both just walked through my resume and interest in the firm.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work at McGladrey?   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Saint Louis, MO

I applied online and the process took 5+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in May 2011.

Interview Details – 3 interviews with a Senior, Manager,Partner.

Interview Question – None, it's was simple laid back.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – First offer came in and i asked for more. They called back within 10 min and made a another offer.

San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in November 2011.

Interview Details – I applied for the position through my school's career service website. I got an email from my school that I had been accepted for an interview. The interview was within a week of being notified. The interview was conducted with a manager of the Audit Department. He asked behavioral questions and no analytical questions for the first interview. The manager was nice but not very personable.

Interview Questions

• What would you say your biggest accomplishment has been in your life?   Answer Question
  • Why mid-sized over a Big 4?   Answer Question
  • Describe a time when you made a suggestion to improve the work in your organization/ school group.   Answer Question

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!