McGladrey LLP

Average Difficulty
39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Phoenix, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very informal. The interviewer asked if I preferred to work with non-public companies or public companies. No behavioral questions whatsoever.

Des Moines, IA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in June 2007.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a regional human resource manager. She reviewed all of my educational background and then conducted a phone interview. At the conclusion she stated she would call back in a week to determine if I would receive an in person interview. I went to the office and met with 4 management level employees for half of a day. I was then instructed that I received an offer and had 2 weeks to make my decision.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work in Public Accounting?   Answer Question

Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in September 2009.

Interview Details – University Posting, University Interview, Office Interview, Offer

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Nothing. There were 50 people applying for every position.

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Question – 1) Tell me about yourself
2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
4) Why public and not private?
5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
7) Run me down with your resume
8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

**Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation**
  View Answer

Audit Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview Details – On campus interview by a senior manager, who was accompanied by a few first years. The next day I was invited to head down to the office for more interviews. For the in-office interview, I interviewed with four people - a senior, a supervisor, a manager, and a partner.

Interview Question – Be prepared to ask a lot of questions during the interview. In my case, more than one of the interviewers essentially asked me to interview them.   Answer Question

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2010.

Interview Details – A series of 3 1:1 interviews, a group presentation and then I was taken out to lunch by a supervisor.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you over the other 50 candidates who applied for this job?   Answer Question

Audit Associate

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in January 2008.

Interview Details – It went very well , they come and get from school then you get a second interview, which will be in the new york office, where you interview with three other people at top level then they give a tour and free lunch

Schaumburg, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in September 2007.

Interview Details – The hiring process was very simple. The recruiter that came to my university was also a college friend. He was able to turn my resume in. After that, their human resource department contacted me with a list of times to come up to Schaumburg and I was able to select a time that worked with my college schedule. Once I was there for my interview, everyone was very relaxed and were not intimidating at all. Once in the interview I could immediately tell the work culture was exactly what I pictured myself working in.

Interview Question – Why this company?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There were no reasons to negotiate. Salary level and bonus exceeded my expectations and other offers I received from other companies.

New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in November 2007.

Interview Details – I first had a brief phone interview because RSM didn't recruit at my college.

When I came to the in-person interview they had a group of 10 'interviewees' and we had an open discussion for several minutes with the head of the NY office. After that we had 2 one-on-one interviews with different partners where they asked us the basic questions like - 'tell me about yourself', and 'why did you choose accounting'. After that we regrouped and went to lunch with everyone. I received a phone call later that day with an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – There was a standard offer given to everyone with no room for negotiation.

Audit Associate

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in July 2010.

Interview Details – General interview...with HR explaining the job and company. Standard overview of my qualifications and work experiences from my resume.

Interview Question – Describe your weaknesses?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McGladrey LLP

Worked for McGladrey LLP? Contribute to the Community!

McGladrey LLP Videos

McGladrey LLP – Why Work for Us?

McGladrey LLP is the largest U.S. provider of assurance, tax and consulting services focused on the middle market, with nearly 6,700 people in more than 75 cities nationwide. McGladrey is a licensed CPA firm. It is the… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McGladrey LLP Audit Associate interview questions and advice. All 39 interview reviews posted anonymously by McGladrey LLP employees and interview candidates.