McGladrey LLP Audit Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 17, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2011.

Interview

The interview was very informal. The interviewer asked if I preferred to work with non-public companies or public companies. No behavioral questions whatsoever.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McGladrey LLP

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Des Moines, IA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (Des Moines, IA) in June 2007.

Interview

I was contacted by a regional human resource manager. She reviewed all of my educational background and then conducted a phone interview. At the conclusion she stated she would call back in a week to determine if I would receive an in person interview. I went to the office and met with 4 management level employees for half of a day. I was then instructed that I received an offer and had 2 weeks to make my decision.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in September 2009.

Interview

University Posting, University Interview, Office Interview, Offer

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying for this position.   1 Answer
    • Are you willing to do what it takes?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Nothing. There were 50 people applying for every position.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (New York, NY) in October 2013.

Interview

I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Questions

• 1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
      3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
      4) Why public and not private?
      5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
      6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
      7) Run me down with your resume
      8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

**Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation**

1 Answer

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview

It was through our school career website. It didn't take more than a week. A HR called me and asked several basic questions, such as what is my GPA, where I was academically, and interest... The lady was really nice and friendly.

Interview Questions

• I had to take an Auditing exam, which was really hard. They require the score needs to be above 90%.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2010.

Interview

A series of 3 1:1 interviews, a group presentation and then I was taken out to lunch by a supervisor.

Interview Questions

• Why should we hire you over the other 50 candidates who applied for this job?   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview

On campus interview by a senior manager, who was accompanied by a few first years. The next day I was invited to head down to the office for more interviews. For the in-office interview, I interviewed with four people - a senior, a supervisor, a manager, and a partner.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to ask a lot of questions during the interview. In my case, more than one of the interviewers essentially asked me to interview them.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP (Raleigh, NC) in May 2012.

Interview

Met with recruiters at a college campus recruiting event. Then was asked to lunch with one of the firm's partners and one of the directors. Was later asked to come to the office location and met with several of the senior staff, shook hands with partners. Also toured the office location and was taken out to dinner.

Interview Questions

• General questions - Tell me about yourself. What made you decide to major in accounting?   1 Answer
    • What are your greatest strengths? Weaknesses?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I should have asked for more. As a college student I knew what other students were getting, and my offer was in the range. But I worked my way through college while holding down several part-time jobs and had prior accounting experience at a private company. If I had emphasized my experience level, I would have set myself apart from the other student recruits.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Interview

On campus interview for their office in NY. They have a no stress interview which means they don't ask you questions. So unless you have a really awesome partner you can gel with the interview can get really awkward. My best advice is just to let them do all the talking.

Audit Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in January 2008.

Interview

It went very well , they come and get from school then you get a second interview, which will be in the new york office, where you interview with three other people at top level then they give a tour and free lunch