McGladrey LLP

39 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Difficult Interview

Phoenix, AZ

The process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – The interview was very informal. The interviewer asked if I preferred to work with non-public companies or public companies. No behavioral questions whatsoever.

Minneapolis, MN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2010.

Interview Details – A series of 3 1:1 interviews, a group presentation and then I was taken out to lunch by a supervisor.

Interview Question – Why should we hire you over the other 50 candidates who applied for this job?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – Meet at career fair and interviewed on campus. 45 minutes of behavioral questions. Then went for office visit in Chicago. Talked with a director and partner about the position and any questions I had. Pretty informal, and then with to lunch with an audit associate.

Interview Question – Tell me why you are qualified for this position.   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – The office interview was very structured. Interviewed with two managers then went out to lunch with two first year associates.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – Once selected for the initial on-campus interview, they take you out to a pre-night interview dinner, where you can potentially meet your actual interviewer, other employees, and your competition. The next day, I was interviewed by a partner on-campus, where it was very much a conversation and laid-back. I heard back within a week for the office visit. In the second-round, I met with a manager and a partner. Again, it was very conversational, and they asked questions based on what you have on your resume. Afterward, they take you out to lunch with a buddy, where you can ask general questions about the firm. It was overall a very organized and fun process.

Interview Question – Why did you choose a mid-sized firm over the big 4?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – It was a difficult choice between this firm and another. The other firm was just a better fit.

Seattle, WA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in January 2009.

Interview Details – I went through a series of informal interviews before getting a offer.

Interview Question – Do you like sports?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No room to negotiate

New York, NY

The process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

Interview Details – It was an on-campus recruiting interview. There were two greeters waiting in the lobby and I talked with them for about 10 mins before it was time for me to meet the interviewer. They were both very friendly, had been at the firm for 1 year, and went to the school at which I was participating in the on-campus recruit. But make sure you have questions to ask them. (generally stuff about themselves, when did they start, have they taken any parts of the CPA, how do they like working there etc). The interview itself was with a partner. He was very friendly and outgoing. He asked questions like, how did I obtain the internships on my resume, why do you like accounting, what is my 5 year plan, describe to me what you did at each of your internships. Thats about 15-20 mins. Then the next 10-15 is questions that you need to ask the interviewer. Make sure these are conversational, and not just firing questions at your interviewer. Act like you are interested in the response.

Interview Question – You say you want to work for a medium sized company, but how can you justify that when your internships have been at large companies?   Answer Question

Los Angeles, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in November 2010.

Interview Details – I actually interviewed for the summer audit internship, which followed a strict recruiting cycle. I first interviewed on-campus with a manager, then I was invited to interview in-house with 3 professionals (director, manager, associate). All interviewers were very courteous and friendly, and never asked anything too demanding. I had conversations with my interviewers about school, sports, and even music. The firm really wants to get to know your personality-- they know that they can teach anyone decently intelligent with their training programs, so personality and cultural fit seem to be the most important things they look for in a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be at McGladrey, as opposed to other mid-tier or big four firms?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you were faced with difficulty and how you went about resolving the issue.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered what I felt was slightly under the market rate across all firms, so I politely asked for a modified compensation package. The firm was very receptive and understanding of my request and re-sent my offer letter with a compensation package slightly higher than market rate. Worth a try, especially if you know you want to be with the firm.

Vienna, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in March 2011.

Interview Details – Great,

Omaha, NE

The process took a day - interviewed at McGladrey LLP in August 2010.

Interview Details – Had two interviews for Summer Tax Intern in Fall 2009, and was told I was not offered the internship because I didn't talk enough. The recruiter at the time told me to participate in their Pathways Program if I wanted a full-time position. Did the Pathways Program in July 2010 and was invited to early interview. In August 2010 did an early interview with a manager and director who work in tax. Interviews were very relaxed, no behavioral questions at all. Who knows what McGladrey is looking for in a candidate? Their interviews have no real behavioral questions, and they waste your time only to tell you don't "fit" into their environment.

Interview Question – What are your interests?   Answer Question