McGladrey LLP

2.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Audit Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McGladrey LLP.

Met with a campus recruiter at Career Fair. Offered an on-campus interview with one of the partners who was an alumni. Very simple behavioral based interview where he made me feel very comfortable. Went to NYC for in-office interview where I was with a group of roughly 15 other students applying. We were all separated and met with 2 different partners for 2 30-minute interviews. One of the partners was a bit condescending so I could tell it didn't go too well. After the interviews, two entry level staff members took a small group of us out to lunch. Overall was a nice day-long process with the exception of the one partner making me a few rude comments during the interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2013.

I was not hired for what I applied for, but I record excellent detail that I'm willing to share. A McGladrey interview will almost be 80% based on your personality, a few behavioral questions, and lots of "tell me about yourself" stuff. They're definitely just getting to know you as a person. Your qualifications to do the job is the main reason the interview is provided--they know that you can do the job, because they'll most likely put you to a formal training program anyway.

It's as described by many: Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner, by some employees of the firm, to help ease your nerves. Whether or not they have any power in your hiring, that's unknown. Better be nice to everyone. We had a nice relaxing lunch with all the other candidates. Learn a little bit about the firm, the benefits, all that jazz. After lunch, the candidates went their separate ways to meet their respective interviewers. They'll each tell you a little bit about themselves before they get to the real deal.

For me, I had an Audit Partner interview me. Nope. I can feel I sucked. Why? He did not seem very pleased to even be doing interviews, which was an immediate sign that I was not going do well, or have a fair chance. He was interviewing my INTEREST in the position by asking if I have any questions about the job; I had a few, but not enough to last 10-15 minutes conversation. But being that I've always dreamed about being a part of McGladrey and for my dream career choice, what didn't I already know? This was my fault; should've prepared better. It's not an interview about how much you want the position & company, it's about showing the ambition you want for yourself in YOUR career. He had NOTHING scripted, and it was all spur of the moment questions...well, in my case, expecting me to have questions for him.

Interview #2 was with a junior HR person. It was more formal, with the questions I've prepared for in personality questions and a few behavioral. Definitely felt I aced it. But again, I think most of the hiring powers come from Partners. If not, you probably need the approval of both. I already knew I was a lost cause, and accepted defeat after all this.

Below, I share with you some questions in exact form:

Interview Questions
    • 1) Tell me about yourself
      2) Why do you want to work with McGladrey?
      3) Why did you not apply for the Big 4?
      4) Why public and not private?
      5) Why do you like Audit? (or whatever your position is)
      6) Tell me about a time you made a mistake, and how you dealt with this?
      7) Run me down with your resume
      8) Do you have any teamwork/leadership skills?

**Have some questions ABOUT the position you're applying for, even if you know most of it already, to show interest. Be ready to wing random moments of conversation**
        View Answer

Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McGladrey LLP.

HR contacted me for interview. If you know someone in company, you have better chance of getting an interview. I was referred by another employee. Other friends of mine who had better resume and qualification than me applied through website and never heard back. There is only one interview round. It was very laid back. Regular interview questions like "tell me about yourself". Basic interview I would say.

Interview Questions
    • It was a very basic and simple interview. No hard questions. The interviewer only wanted to know basic information; for example my previous job, what I did etc   Answer Question
    I was offered a reasonable rate and I accepted it.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in January 2013.

Was introduced to company through job fair. Had one phone interview which was simple and easy and 2 part face-to-face interview. The interviewers were very kind and I was relaxed throughout the process.

Interview Questions
    • Only had 3.3 overall GPA and they asked me why they should take me as an intern rather than someone with a higher GPA.   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2012.

There was a pre-interview mixer where a partner and some managers, seniors and new hires/staff accountants mingled with the interviewees. That was pleasant good to talk with the people you are interviewing with before the interview itself, in some ways it was an interview with no pressure.
    Interview happened the next day, I had met my interviewer beforehand at the mixer.
    Questions were behavioral in nature - 'have you worked with a difficult person?'
    How do you work with teams? etc

Interview Questions
    • Nothing specific - I have a varied background and some international work experience that has been difficult to explain to most interviewers because it falls well outside the normal work experience. So any questions relating to past work experience specific to that work were tough - I just closely linked bits of what I did to what staff accountants are expected to do or linked it to the behavioral questions 'what was a difficult work situation & how did you overcome it?' and keep it relevant to audit/accounting job requirements   Answer Question

Audit Manager NYC Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through other source. The process took a weekinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2012.

The interivew process was very organized from the minute the recruiter contact me (she was very friendly and personable, and knew the culture of McGladrey). to the offer extended and the hiring process. Everyone was very professional and very interested in me as a person. I knew from the minute i walked in the door I was not going to be another #.

Interview Questions
    it was a good offer did not negotiate anything.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

The office interview was very structured. Interviewed with two managers then went out to lunch with two first year associates.

Spring Tax Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

First I had an a pre-night dinner event with a few of their employees that graduated from my university. Then I had an interview at school with one person from their firm. I was then contacted to go to their offices in New York and interview there with two other people for the position. I met with two people for a half an hour each, and then we were taken out to lunch by some of the employees. They were all very nice and amiable. I really enjoyed the culture of the place, and the interview process wasn't bad. They basically asked Why McGladrey, what do you know about them, why a mid size firm, and do you know the difference between them and the Big 4, and it was a lot of questions about things on your resume.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

It was an on-campus recruiting interview. There were two greeters waiting in the lobby and I talked with them for about 10 mins before it was time for me to meet the interviewer. They were both very friendly, had been at the firm for 1 year, and went to the school at which I was participating in the on-campus recruit. But make sure you have questions to ask them. (generally stuff about themselves, when did they start, have they taken any parts of the CPA, how do they like working there etc). The interview itself was with a partner. He was very friendly and outgoing. He asked questions like, how did I obtain the internships on my resume, why do you like accounting, what is my 5 year plan, describe to me what you did at each of your internships. Thats about 15-20 mins. Then the next 10-15 is questions that you need to ask the interviewer. Make sure these are conversational, and not just firing questions at your interviewer. Act like you are interested in the response.

Interview Questions
    • You say you want to work for a medium sized company, but how can you justify that when your internships have been at large companies?   Answer Question

Assurance Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took a dayinterviewed at McGladrey LLP in October 2011.

I scheduled my interview through our school's on campus recruiting process. so we had a bunch of people picked for the interview. we had a pre-interview social the day before the interview. they were looking for candidates with 150 hr credit cpa eligible. it was a 1;1 interview. they were all kind.