McGraw-Hill Education

Updated Feb 21, 2015
Updated Feb 21, 2015

2.9

Senior Designer Interview

Phone with recuiter and manager, walk-in with directors and designers, trial project to test creative and technical skills. Final interview with VP. 3-4 weeks process although it can vary depending on each position.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

1) I applied online from their website because I have experience and I am really interested in functional programming.

2) The recruiter called me soon thereafter.

3) About a week later I get a chance to talk with a senior engineer which we had a pretty good discussion on functional programming and my academic experience.

About a week goes by and I get an offer from another company but I am more interested in McGrawEd. So I send an email to the recruiter, who gets in touch with me a week later claiming my email went straight to his junk, which is fine. He asks me to ask for an extension w.r.t. considering the offer had. In retrospect, I am glad I did not ask for extensions and I accepted the offer.

About a day or two later I hear from a ex-colleague that McGrawEd reached out to him.

4) I hear from the recruiter again at the same day McGrawEd checked my references. He specifically tells me "One last step is left, before we make an offer, to have a chat with the VP".

5) I talked with the VP a day later. It was an informal chat asking me for a "birds-eye view" of my experience. I had a couple of technical questions which he tried to answer but it was clear to me he was not that technical. Due to the Christmas holidays he tells me we will get in touch in the new year.

January is almost over and I have yet to hear anything from McGrawEd.

In a nutshell my experience is the same as other individuals attest to--that is they are not well-organized, at least, w.r.t. their hiring process.

Media Coordinator Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

The recruiter set up the interview with the positions superior and the head of the department. The recruiter sat in on the interview as well. It took a while to set up an interview time once they decided to interview me, but they said that was simply because of how many interviews they had and the amount of work with which they were overloaded. The interview was very laidback. By the time I left, there was no doubt in my mind that I was going to get an offer. It was a fantastic interview.
    Even if I hadn't been so confident that I was going to gain a position, it would have been a great interview. The only down side to interviewing with them was the wait time to schedule the interview and the background check. After having a set start date, the background check took several days to get back to them so my start date kept getting pushed back. It's happened with most of the new hires here.

Social Media Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

I applied online, McGraw Hill contacted me within a week. I had one phone interview, it went very well, and then I was asked to come in for an in-person. I first met with a director who was very direct and seemed a bit cold. Regardless, I was happy to share several ideas for the company; all of which she liked. I then had an interview with a potential co-worker, which went extremely well. I again shared several ideas and strategies which I come studied and written before the interview. We had a lively and collaborative discussion. Leaving the building, I felt sure that I would be asked to come in again or offered the job. I sent thank-you emails and also hand-written thank you cards. After a week, I contacted them and was asked to wait while they finished additional interviews. After two weeks, I saw that the company had re-posted the job posting online, so I contacted the HR woman to ask if I was still in the running. She said that I was still in the running, and they were just conducting additional interviews but the pool of candidates was small. After over 6 weeks, I finally received a canned email swing "thank you for your interest, we've filled the position." I was very surprised. The potential co-worker I had interviewed with at least sent me a nice note online.

Interview Questions
    • Why would you want to take a full-time position when you already have a successful freelance career?   View Answer

Sales Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

Many layers including national sales manager, first a phone interview the. If you make it through there will be an in person interview with manager, the next level may require a campus visit and a written follow up to the in campus activity. If you make it to the next level it is usually a visit to Chicago or New York with a series of staff interviews including national sales manager.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions but do have to present a technology product   Answer Question
    Very limited amount of negotiation. They do have ranges based on experience.

Intern Interview

The interview was fairly easy although several members of the company's communication department interviewed me to see if I would be a good fit for the team. I was hired through a program and did not apply directly to the company's internship program.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the educational publishing industry in the digital age?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

Fairly typical hiring process. Reached out online, a few emails, phone call, then an in person interview with future manager and other manager. Friendly people the whole way through. Overall not to intimidating of a process and definitely a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about education, where I see myself going, ect.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

5 round of interviews. Round 1 QA Manager - Basic behavioral questions. Round 2 QA Engineer: Technical Questions on Writing test cases, Web driver automation, SQL Queries. Round 3: Hiring Manager on phone. Round 4:Onsite with QA Manager. Round 5: Lead Developer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

1. applied online and was contacted within a week for a phone interview.
    2. 45 minute screening interview with recruiter. Good questions about my sales and teaching experiences. Asked what i thought were 5 most important things about Sales? Greatest accomplishment in certain jobs? Challenges? When did I not succeed in developing good relationship with client?
    3. Was recommended for next interview (1of 6 people). Met in person with District Manager. Conversation style interview about the job expectations. Glad I prepared with intelligent questions about the company, market shares, role and local department of education budget distribution systems. I was not one of the two chosen for the next phase of interviews with group of general managers for this job, but was recommended for other roles that might come up in the area with MH. Was asked why I got into teaching? Was told they wanted someone innovative and adaptive who could think outside the box and not stuck or limited in ways of approaching sales and relationships.

Interview Questions
    • None were especially difficult. Was asked in second interview about what really got me frustrated and red hot? I had thought about this and was prepared with what I thought was a positive spin.   View Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I went through five interviews during one afternoon. All of the people I met were good interviewers, and each of them asked a variety of questions, which kept the experience interesting. The team was dynamic and competitive, which kept everyone working hard. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.