McGraw-Hill Education

Updated Dec 1, 2014
Updated Dec 1, 2014

2.9

Intern Interview

The interview was fairly easy although several members of the company's communication department interviewed me to see if I would be a good fit for the team. I was hired through a program and did not apply directly to the company's internship program.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about the educational publishing industry in the digital age?   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

Fairly typical hiring process. Reached out online, a few emails, phone call, then an in person interview with future manager and other manager. Friendly people the whole way through. Overall not to intimidating of a process and definitely a good experience.

Interview Questions
    • General questions about education, where I see myself going, ect.   Answer Question

Senior QA Engineer Interview

5 round of interviews. Round 1 QA Manager - Basic behavioral questions. Round 2 QA Engineer: Technical Questions on Writing test cases, Web driver automation, SQL Queries. Round 3: Hiring Manager on phone. Round 4:Onsite with QA Manager. Round 5: Lead Developer

Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

1. applied online and was contacted within a week for a phone interview.
    2. 45 minute screening interview with recruiter. Good questions about my sales and teaching experiences. Asked what i thought were 5 most important things about Sales? Greatest accomplishment in certain jobs? Challenges? When did I not succeed in developing good relationship with client?
    3. Was recommended for next interview (1of 6 people). Met in person with District Manager. Conversation style interview about the job expectations. Glad I prepared with intelligent questions about the company, market shares, role and local department of education budget distribution systems. I was not one of the two chosen for the next phase of interviews with group of general managers for this job, but was recommended for other roles that might come up in the area with MH. Was asked why I got into teaching? Was told they wanted someone innovative and adaptive who could think outside the box and not stuck or limited in ways of approaching sales and relationships.

Interview Questions
    • None were especially difficult. Was asked in second interview about what really got me frustrated and red hot? I had thought about this and was prepared with what I thought was a positive spin.   View Answer

Marketing Coordinator Interview

I went through five interviews during one afternoon. All of the people I met were good interviewers, and each of them asked a variety of questions, which kept the experience interesting. The team was dynamic and competitive, which kept everyone working hard. I'm still waiting to hear back from them.

Communications Specialist Interview

Pretty basic interview, lots of questions about weaknesses. Overall, pretty standard. Did phone interview first, was called in for in person interview. Three people sat in, all spoke equally. Everyone was very prepared for the interview.

Decided not to relocate

Assistant Academic Editor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

Applied online, contacted about 2 weeks later. Scheduled a phone interview with a recruiter. Standard questions about my background. It's mainly to check to see if you're a decent fit for the position. Then a week or so later, they called me in for an interview with an editor. An offer came two days later.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education in August 2014.

Interview process was a complete chaos. Contacted by recruiter, then insisted on scheduling an on-site interview on a specific day. Pushed back several times and explain no availability on that day, but was innundated by emails, calls, voice mails etc. Once on-site interview was scheduled finally on my available time, they asked to schedule a phone interview. Basic Java questions on phone interview. No coding questions during on-site interview, no write some code on board nothing, all behavioral interviewing. Talked on conf call to a senior tech mgmt during on-site interview which complained about problems with higher sr. mgmt?? Got calls from recruiting after interview to move fwd, and thought we are entering offer negotiations. Wrong! I was scheduled to talk to HR after all the process who again asked me behavioral questions and desired salary, and I had to repeat myself again. I was asked to apply to position online after all this, and just got email to fill out background again! Serious disconnect between departments, and major flaws in hiring process points to an disorganized work culture.

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education in August 2014.

Got an email from HR asking to set up a time for a phone screening. Email confirmation sent. Day of she never called. I emailed asking if she wanted to reschedule about an hour later and didn't hear back until the next day. She was apologetic and offered an excuse (sounded like BS) and rescheduled for the next day. She called 15 minutes late for that one, but the call went well. Said she'd be in touch by end of week to schedule interview with hiring manager. Never heard back. I sent her an email a week later to followup about the call or in-person with the hiring manager and *crickets*. Emailed again the following week and still no response.

Whether she changed her mind or the hiring manager didn't want to meet or whatever, it's fine....just tell me something one way or the other to close the loop.

It's incredibly unprofessional and rude to not respond to a candidate at all after wasting hours of their time back and forth scheduling and rescheduling plus the time they spend on phone interviews.

Interview Questions
    • What are your salary expectations (because she asked within 5 minutes of getting on a call... usually they at least wait until the end to ask). She said I was in-line with what they had approved for the position, so we could continue with the call... I guess the pro with that is if you're outside of range you only waste 5 minutes on a call vs 30 or 45 minutes.   Answer Question

Sales Representative Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGraw-Hill Education.

All candidates are required to do a campus project, which requires you to choose a college campus and to spend a day interviewing multiple professors, such as "how do you incorporate technology into the classroom?" and "what do you not like about sales reps?"