McGraw Hill Financial Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated May 27, 2014
39 interviews

2.8

Account Manager Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2014.

I applied for an inside sales position. I had a phone interview a month after applying and an in person a month later. Next round would have been video with London management. They were undergoing a reorg; wanted inside salespeople to manage the relationship and maximize revenue from existing client base. I applied online; heard back from them about a month later to set up a phone interview. That round was just screening and pretty rote stuff. I got a called for a second interview about 2 weeks later. That interview ended up occurring about 2 months after my application- the pace was slow. Second interview was with the MD I would report to. I thought it went well, was surprised to get a form "we've decided not to follow up with you" email from HR about 2 weeks later. The 3rd round would have been a video interview with London (department is run from there).

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed online. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in May 2010.

Straight forward process with HR initial interviews and hiring manager(s) conducts follow up.

Ratings Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in June 2010.

Spoke to several managers after HR

Interview Questions
    • Where would you expect to be in 3 to 5 years?   View Answer

Executive Recruiter Interview

I interviewed through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

I've been introduced by an agency. First interview was with the hirimg manger and a couple of peers. Final interview was with the head of recruiting.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a hiring manger who doesn't want to work with you and would prefer to use an outside agency?   View Answer
    I asked for some more dollars and extra vacation time and was able to get it based on my prior exprience.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4 days - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

I applied online through my university's career services website. I got a call the next day from a recruiter, who asked me some basic questions about school and work. From there he scheduled me immediately for an interview with a manager, and as soon as I was done he set me up for an interview with yet another manager. The interview was pretty easy, he asked me some basic questions on the software life-cycle and told me about what the job would entail. I really didn't get asked any technical questions, which I found very strange.

I kind of lucked out that they were in a rush to fill this position, which is why I had 3 back to back phone interviews. The interviews took place on a Friday and I got the offer that Monday, I never even had to come into the office for an in person interview.

My experience was definitely not the norm, I talked to other inters that summer who said the process took anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for them to get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the software development life-cycle. (Not a hard question, but it's the only remotely technical question I got asked)   Answer Question
    I accepted his initial offer, because I assumed it was a set amount for inters.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Submitted clips and resume. Interviewed with senior editors in New York and Washington.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a mistake you made on a story and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    I was able to get moving costs from Boston to Washington covered.

Intern Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in April 2013.

HR was a little bit late in the game in my year, so I had a quick pre-screen interview and then 2 phone interviews with 2 hiring managers. Both lasted 20min. Wasn't hard, they asked me generic interview questions.

Intern, Financial Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Sent in my resume through their website, and was soon contacted by HR for a quick phone-interview. Asked me mostly generic questions (Tell me about yourself/your resume, why do you want this position, why do you want to work for McGraw-Hill). After, I was contacted to come in for a face-to-face interview. I met first met with the director of my department, and then I met with the co-director. They both asked me standard behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you had to work as as a team and there was a problem, etc). The only technical question I was asked was with the initial interview with the Director-- He just gave me a few simple scenarios and asked how each action would affect the three financial statements.

Interview Questions
    • Say we take buy a bond, walk me through how that would affect the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows.   Answer Question
    No negotiating, I was given the same intern rate all McGraw-Hill interns got.

Financial Analyst Interview

I got hired as an intern, so I didn't have to go through the full rounds of interviews. Typically you meet with HR, then 2 to 3 people interview you from the team.

Customer Support Representative Interview

Short and your are a temp to perm for a long time until everyone else quits.

Interview Questions

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!