McGraw Hill Financial

2.8

Compliance Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

The hiring and interview process was pretty uneventful but it did take a while to go through several rounds. Human Resources was also very slow in getting back and changes to acceptance letter needed to be negotiated. As for the interviews, most of the discussions were pretty straightforward and the individuals I met with were open in speaking about the company.

Interview Questions
    • There wasn't any question which was unexpected or difficult   Answer Question
    Ok

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Great structured communication with hiring manager. Went through phone interview and second round in person with hiring manager and a panel of other managers/salesrep for one on one interviews.

Director IT Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

The interview process was considerately done; I received an email 2 business days before the proposed date and time and was asked to confirm my availability.

The first phone interview was performed by the executive recruiter - they were polite and sociable which help to alleviate some of the potential stress. The recruiter studied my resume and knew it well so there were no questions like, 'tell me about yourself' - the questions were future-oriented, i.e: 'What is to you for your next position?' and 'How do you envision your role?' After about 20 minutes of a fairly free-formed discussion, the interviewer explained their background and the general requirements for the position. I asked a few questions and the interviewer confirmed that I was a candidate for the next interview round.

The second phone interview was scheduled, and confirmed, 2 days later with a C-level executive manager; I was asked to spend about 15 minutes of uninterrupted time discussing: 1) my 'elevator pitch', 2) what is it that I like to do? 3) what am I proud of? and 4 ) a particular challenge. Subsequently, the executive manager explained who they were, their high-level goals for the organization and the goals and objectives of the open position. I asked a few questions and we ended the interview.

The next day, I sent a 'thank you' email in the early AM and by midday the company confirmed that I would was not going to continue on to the next round of onsite interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interviewers use the technique of 'free-form' and uninterrupted discussions to not only see how well you can articulate your abilities but they are also trying to assess if you will be good fit into, what appears to be, a very close-knit and small organization.   Answer Question

Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2014.

I applied for an inside sales position. I had a phone interview a month after applying and an in person a month later. Next round would have been video with London management. They were undergoing a reorg; wanted inside salespeople to manage the relationship and maximize revenue from existing client base. I applied online; heard back from them about a month later to set up a phone interview. That round was just screening and pretty rote stuff. I got a called for a second interview about 2 weeks later. That interview ended up occurring about 2 months after my application- the pace was slow. Second interview was with the MD I would report to. I thought it went well, was surprised to get a form "we've decided not to follow up with you" email from HR about 2 weeks later. The 3rd round would have been a video interview with London (department is run from there).

Executive Recruiter Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

I've been introduced by an agency. First interview was with the hirimg manger and a couple of peers. Final interview was with the head of recruiting.

Interview Questions
    • How would you handle a hiring manger who doesn't want to work with you and would prefer to use an outside agency?   View Answer
    I asked for some more dollars and extra vacation time and was able to get it based on my prior exprience.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

I applied online through my university's career services website. I got a call the next day from a recruiter, who asked me some basic questions about school and work. From there he scheduled me immediately for an interview with a manager, and as soon as I was done he set me up for an interview with yet another manager. The interview was pretty easy, he asked me some basic questions on the software life-cycle and told me about what the job would entail. I really didn't get asked any technical questions, which I found very strange.

I kind of lucked out that they were in a rush to fill this position, which is why I had 3 back to back phone interviews. The interviews took place on a Friday and I got the offer that Monday, I never even had to come into the office for an in person interview.

My experience was definitely not the norm, I talked to other inters that summer who said the process took anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for them to get the offer.

Interview Questions
    • Describe the software development life-cycle. (Not a hard question, but it's the only remotely technical question I got asked)   Answer Question
    I accepted his initial offer, because I assumed it was a set amount for inters.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Submitted clips and resume. Interviewed with senior editors in New York and Washington.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us about a mistake you made on a story and how you handled it.   Answer Question
    I was able to get moving costs from Boston to Washington covered.

Intern, Financial Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New City, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Sent in my resume through their website, and was soon contacted by HR for a quick phone-interview. Asked me mostly generic questions (Tell me about yourself/your resume, why do you want this position, why do you want to work for McGraw-Hill). After, I was contacted to come in for a face-to-face interview. I met first met with the director of my department, and then I met with the co-director. They both asked me standard behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you had to work as as a team and there was a problem, etc). The only technical question I was asked was with the initial interview with the Director-- He just gave me a few simple scenarios and asked how each action would affect the three financial statements.

Interview Questions
    • Say we take buy a bond, walk me through how that would affect the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows.   Answer Question
    No negotiating, I was given the same intern rate all McGraw-Hill interns got.

Financial Analyst Interview

I got hired as an intern, so I didn't have to go through the full rounds of interviews. Typically you meet with HR, then 2 to 3 people interview you from the team.

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in April 2013.

HR was a little bit late in the game in my year, so I had a quick pre-screen interview and then 2 phone interviews with 2 hiring managers. Both lasted 20min. Wasn't hard, they asked me generic interview questions.