McGraw Hill Financial

39 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Account Manager Interview

Account Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2014.

Interview Details – I applied for an inside sales position. I had a phone interview a month after applying and an in person a month later. Next round would have been video with London management. They were undergoing a reorg; wanted inside salespeople to manage the relationship and maximize revenue from existing client base. I applied online; heard back from them about a month later to set up a phone interview. That round was just screening and pretty rote stuff. I got a called for a second interview about 2 weeks later. That interview ended up occurring about 2 months after my application- the pace was slow. Second interview was with the MD I would report to. I thought it went well, was surprised to get a form "we've decided not to follow up with you" email from HR about 2 weeks later. The 3rd round would have been a video interview with London (department is run from there).

Interview Question – How do you deal with angry or upset clients?   Answer Question

Director Interview

Director
Washington, DC

I applied online and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in May 2010.

Interview Details – Straight forward process with HR initial interviews and hiring manager(s) conducts follow up.

Ratings Analyst Interview

Ratings Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in June 2010.

Interview Details – Spoke to several managers after HR

Interview Question – Where would you expect to be in 3 to 5 years?   View Answer

Executive Recruiter Interview

Executive Recruiter

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview Details – I've been introduced by an agency. First interview was with the hirimg manger and a couple of peers. Final interview was with the head of recruiting.

Interview Question – How would you handle a hiring manger who doesn't want to work with you and would prefer to use an outside agency?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I asked for some more dollars and extra vacation time and was able to get it based on my prior exprience.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 days - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview Details – I applied online through my university's career services website. I got a call the next day from a recruiter, who asked me some basic questions about school and work. From there he scheduled me immediately for an interview with a manager, and as soon as I was done he set me up for an interview with yet another manager. The interview was pretty easy, he asked me some basic questions on the software life-cycle and told me about what the job would entail. I really didn't get asked any technical questions, which I found very strange.

I kind of lucked out that they were in a rush to fill this position, which is why I had 3 back to back phone interviews. The interviews took place on a Friday and I got the offer that Monday, I never even had to come into the office for an in person interview.

My experience was definitely not the norm, I talked to other inters that summer who said the process took anywhere from 2 weeks to a month for them to get the offer.

Interview Question – Describe the software development life-cycle. (Not a hard question, but it's the only remotely technical question I got asked)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I accepted his initial offer, because I assumed it was a set amount for inters.

Editor Interview

Editor
Washington, DC

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview Details – Submitted clips and resume. Interviewed with senior editors in New York and Washington.

Interview Question – Tell us about a mistake you made on a story and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to get moving costs from Boston to Washington covered.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in April 2013.

Interview Details – HR was a little bit late in the game in my year, so I had a quick pre-screen interview and then 2 phone interviews with 2 hiring managers. Both lasted 20min. Wasn't hard, they asked me generic interview questions.

Intern, Financial Analysis Interview

Intern, Financial Analysis
New City, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview Details – Sent in my resume through their website, and was soon contacted by HR for a quick phone-interview. Asked me mostly generic questions (Tell me about yourself/your resume, why do you want this position, why do you want to work for McGraw-Hill). After, I was contacted to come in for a face-to-face interview. I met first met with the director of my department, and then I met with the co-director. They both asked me standard behavioral questions (tell me about a time when you had to work as as a team and there was a problem, etc). The only technical question I was asked was with the initial interview with the Director-- He just gave me a few simple scenarios and asked how each action would affect the three financial statements.

Interview Question – Say we take buy a bond, walk me through how that would affect the balance sheet, income statement, and statement of cash flows.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiating, I was given the same intern rate all McGraw-Hill interns got.

Financial Analyst Interview

Financial Analyst

Interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial

Interview Details – I got hired as an intern, so I didn't have to go through the full rounds of interviews. Typically you meet with HR, then 2 to 3 people interview you from the team.

Interview Question – NA - mostly fit questions.   Answer Question

Customer Support Representative Interview

Customer Support Representative

Interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial

Interview Details – Short and your are a temp to perm for a long time until everyone else quits.

Interview Question – Name a time you had to improvise to help someone.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McGraw Hill Financial

Worked for McGraw Hill Financial? Contribute to the Community!