McGraw Hill Financial

Very Difficult Interview

Associate Director, Creative Services Interview

Associate Director, Creative Services
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in August 2008.

Interview Details – It took a long time - four interviews with four different people. A lot of hard questions were asked, as this particular division did not trust its employees and so screened very carefully. One of the reasons why it took so long is because there was a lot of reorganization going on, and that impacted who I would be working under. In retrospect, it took too long, and was a sign that something was amiss in this department. I've learned since to go with my gut regarding how I feel about the interview process, because it often mirrors actually working there.

Interview Question – Who is your toughest critic?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Done on the phone with a McGraw-Hill recruiter.

Editor Interview

Editor

The process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2009.

Interview Details – Took forever, made constant trips back to NYC, only to have the job given to a friend of the person I would have been working for. Even went into NYC (90 minutes commute) to arrive once and get told that the person I was supposed to interview with wouldn't be able to meet with me, so I would need to reschedule for another day. Which I did (because I was in the top three for the position).

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in September 2009.

Interview Details – the whole process was very long and between the initial phone interview and the 1:1 it took them a very long time. When I was finally called in for the face-to-face they said they had already filled the position. Not too sure why they called me in at all... Well the hiring manager mentioned she had just started looking for someone. After the one hour long interview she said she was going to see if she can find someone else to interview me ( so that I meet with less people on the second interview) and then she came back and said no one was available.

Very Easy Interview

Process and Documentation Coordinator Interview

Process and Documentation Coordinator
Burr Ridge, IL

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in August 2009.

Interview Details – Stay professional.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for McGraw-Hill?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I live 300 miles away. They would not negotiate salary or relocation benefits.

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in July 2009.

Interview Details – After being contacted by a recuiter for a position with McGraw-Hill, I had an initial phone interview with the Hiring Manager. The questions were very antagonistic and I assumed the interview was going no where. Several weeks later, the recuiter contacted me to say they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview. I was skeptical, but figured I had nothing to lose.

I first met with the hiring manager who turned out to be more personable in person, but she asked alot of hypothetical questions without really asking me much about my background. Although we were scheduled for an hour, after 45 minutes, she glanced at her Blackberry and suddenly seemed distracted and excused herself. I was scheduled to speak to another person in 15 minutes, so I sat and waited...and waited....and waited. 30 minutes later, the other person arrived and he also proceeded to ask many hypothetical questions.

Very strange environment!

Interview Question – You have 2 buckets, one holds 5 gallons and one holds 3 gallons. How can you measure out 4 gallons of water?   View Answers (4)

Editor Interview

Editor
Denver, CO

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in July 2007.

Interview Details – I thought the interview process was great. It started with a phone interview, that was really a get-to-know me and them session. They told me about what they did, what the magazines consisted of and what my general duties would be. Then they asked if I would be interested in coming to the office to see the facility and meet the sr. managing editor. I scheduled that, and met with him, we talked about me most of the time and how I could apply my current skills to this job. They walked me through the publications I would be in charge of and gave me a tour of the building. Three days later I got a phone call from the news director in NYC, who tested me on a few things over the phone and asked me how I felt about my ability to do the job well. I knew shortly after that call that I would be sent an offer. But, they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I felt they sincerely wanted to know about me -- not just have another body to fill a seat.

Interview Question – Unexpected: Why are you leaving your current position?   View Answers (2)

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in September 2013.

Interview Details – more about professional stuff, specifically, knowledge and experience about financial industry, M&A process, business analytics

Interview Question – A case study of whether or not to acquire a company   Answer Question

REgional Planeer Interview

REgional Planeer
Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

Interview Details – my hiring process lasted one 3 days

Interview Question – they asked me a improvements to their unconscious processes   View Answer

Editorial Intern Interview

Editorial Intern

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in May 2012.

Interview Details – My college had notified me of an opening position. McGraw normally doesn't hire editorial interns; from what I was told, almost every employee is required to start in sales so you learn their product. I followed all of the instructions I was given by the Career Services center, inlcuding emailing a cover letter and resume. I met with a woman from HR in May. The position was supposed to begin on June 1st for 3+ months and she never got back to me about the status of my application, not even a rejection email.

Interview Question – What do you know about our company?   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Product Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2010.

Interview Details – Platts (McGraw-Hill) hiring is protracted and arduous. All the while it is managed by the inept and indifferent if not outright deceitful human resources department.
They have several interviews and may lead you on in the belief that it''s almost over. Finally after they settle on hiring you they will take a further 3 to 4 weeks in performing background checks.

Interview Question – Tell us about a time you failed at something.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Absurd. There was some negotiation but make absolutely certain to get everything in writing and very explicit.
At least two people that I know were offered reasonable bonuses which a year later turned out to be a fiction.

Interviews for Top Jobs at McGraw Hill Financial