McGraw Hill Financial Interview Questions

Updated Sep 24, 2014
Updated Sep 24, 2014

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in September 2009.

the whole process was very long and between the initial phone interview and the 1:1 it took them a very long time. When I was finally called in for the face-to-face they said they had already filled the position. Not too sure why they called me in at all... Well the hiring manager mentioned she had just started looking for someone. After the one hour long interview she said she was going to see if she can find someone else to interview me ( so that I meet with less people on the second interview) and then she came back and said no one was available.

Process and Documentation Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burr Ridge, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burr Ridge, IL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in August 2009.

Stay professional.

Interview Questions

I live 300 miles away. They would not negotiate salary or relocation benefits.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in July 2009.

After being contacted by a recuiter for a position with McGraw-Hill, I had an initial phone interview with the Hiring Manager. The questions were very antagonistic and I assumed the interview was going no where. Several weeks later, the recuiter contacted me to say they wanted me to come in for an in-person interview. I was skeptical, but figured I had nothing to lose.

I first met with the hiring manager who turned out to be more personable in person, but she asked alot of hypothetical questions without really asking me much about my background. Although we were scheduled for an hour, after 45 minutes, she glanced at her Blackberry and suddenly seemed distracted and excused herself. I was scheduled to speak to another person in 15 minutes, so I sat and waited...and waited....and waited. 30 minutes later, the other person arrived and he also proceeded to ask many hypothetical questions.

Very strange environment!

Interview Questions
    • You have 2 buckets, one holds 5 gallons and one holds 3 gallons. How can you measure out 4 gallons of water?   View Answers (4)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in June 2009.

Excellent, fast, good information provided about the job, Mgmt. knowledgeable and experienced. HR informative and timely with updates.

Interview Questions
    • Typical questions on experience and how it relates to the position.   View Answer
    Went through head hunter, negotiations not directly with company. At point were with company, was given impression of more potential for increase than available by company standards. Negotiate base pay on front end, don't count on bonuses.

Editor Interview

The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in January 2009.

Took forever, made constant trips back to NYC, only to have the job given to a friend of the person I would have been working for. Even went into NYC (90 minutes commute) to arrive once and get told that the person I was supposed to interview with wouldn't be able to meet with me, so I would need to reschedule for another day. Which I did (because I was in the top three for the position).

Associate Director, Creative Services Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in August 2008.

It took a long time - four interviews with four different people. A lot of hard questions were asked, as this particular division did not trust its employees and so screened very carefully. One of the reasons why it took so long is because there was a lot of reorganization going on, and that impacted who I would be working under. In retrospect, it took too long, and was a sign that something was amiss in this department. I've learned since to go with my gut regarding how I feel about the interview process, because it often mirrors actually working there.

Interview Questions
    Done on the phone with a McGraw-Hill recruiter.

Editor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in July 2007.

I thought the interview process was great. It started with a phone interview, that was really a get-to-know me and them session. They told me about what they did, what the magazines consisted of and what my general duties would be. Then they asked if I would be interested in coming to the office to see the facility and meet the sr. managing editor. I scheduled that, and met with him, we talked about me most of the time and how I could apply my current skills to this job. They walked me through the publications I would be in charge of and gave me a tour of the building. Three days later I got a phone call from the news director in NYC, who tested me on a few things over the phone and asked me how I felt about my ability to do the job well. I knew shortly after that call that I would be sent an offer. But, they went out of their way to make me feel welcome and I felt they sincerely wanted to know about me -- not just have another body to fill a seat.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied online – interviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in September 2013.

more about professional stuff, specifically, knowledge and experience about financial industry, M&A process, business analytics

REgional Planeer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial.

my hiring process lasted one 3 days

Interview Questions
    • they asked me a improvements to their unconscious processes   View Answer

Editorial Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McGraw Hill Financial in May 2012.

My college had notified me of an opening position. McGraw normally doesn't hire editorial interns; from what I was told, almost every employee is required to start in sales so you learn their product. I followed all of the instructions I was given by the Career Services center, inlcuding emailing a cover letter and resume. I met with a woman from HR in May. The position was supposed to begin on June 1st for 3+ months and she never got back to me about the status of my application, not even a rejection email.