McKesson Interview Questions

Updated Sep 1, 2015

2.7

A/R Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Charleston, SC).

Interview

I applied online and a week later received an email to set up a telephone interview with a recruiter. After the telephone interview, I received another email to set up an onsite interview with two managers.

Interview Questions

• The telephone interview were basic questions related to the position. It was to see if you knew basic things. The onsite interview was disappointing. The two managers I interviewed with were different than the ones I was told. Most interviews you receive a handshake but I did not. Only one person asked questions while the other just sat there reading my resume'. My resume' really isn't that long. They didn't smile much or seemed excited about the company which made me feel out of place.   Answer Question

Enterprise Integration Architect Interview

Anonymous Employee in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Louisville, CO).

Interview

Very comprehensive interview covering all aspects of enterprise infrastructure in healthcare enterprises and the integration points between them. Also covered standard enterprise systems and models, including wireless and wired networking at both the local and wide area scale, Unix and Linux implementation models, server virtualization and consolidation concepts, and storage models. Also covered interaction with project managers and creation and maintenance of project plans.

Interview Questions

• How do you standardize the IT fit of an enterprise with 45 locations across 4 timezones?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Tough, as they really didn't understand the market for EAs. I stuck to my number and they finally came up to a level I was comfortable with accepting.

Operations Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Honolulu, HI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKesson (Honolulu, HI) in August 2014.

Interview

Interview process was pretty standard with company recruiter making plans. Consisted of a couple phone screens and interviews, then in person interviews. Company paid for travel to location for final in person interviews. Employees seemed to enjoy working for McKesson and positive about the direction of the organization. Had to turn down the offer due to low salary and minimal relocation.

Interview Questions

Salary was on the low end given the cost of living. I got the impression most employees at the location are not paid well considering McKesson is a top 15 company and the location is one of most expensive places in the US. Relocation was lump sum that would only cover basic movers but did not include the benefits you would expect from a major employer (home sale, realtor commission, closing costs, new home purchase, etc were not covered). Hard to pass a job in Hawaii but didn't want to be so poor I couldn't afford to enjoy it.

Senior Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKesson.

Interview

Received a call from one of their recruiters (looks part of the talent acquisition is outsourced) and after a few minutes of questions to get information about my background and experience, he said he would get pass that information on to the hiring manager and have him talk to me. But after that a month has been passed but no word and absolutely no response even for my multiple inquiries.

Interview Questions

• Questions were very general about experience and background...nothing technical   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKesson.

Interview

I was networking with a few people and one of them said I should check out McKesson. I got him my resume and was fast tracked through the system. The interview process was very easy for me, I went through HR twice, 2 sales people, and 2 managers. It took about month with some negotiation on salary and PTO days. I was looked at for 2 positions but ended up only applying for the sales role.

Interview Questions

• I didn't have anything whacky or odd... the weirdest thing was when one of the managers interviewing me sat on the same side of the desk as me as if we were have a conversion... it was odd but overall pretty straight forward   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not a lot of negotiation was going to happen, as it was a new role. I did get a few thousand more in my base and upped my PTO days to what I had at my last company.

Business Process Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson.

Interview

Interviewers beware! I first received an email from a recruiter in Atlanta for a Business Process Consultant position either to be in Dallas or Olive Branch. I proceeded with a phone screen interview with the recruiter and then was passed onto the hiring director for a one hour interview. Being successful, I was passed to the manager of the department for a 1/2 hour interview. The recruiter then emailed me to come into a onsite interview for six hours. I explained that I work FT and with a heavy workload I would have trouble giving that much time during the day and asked for alternative options. I was told No and that I would have to use PTO. I explained I was taking all the risks and didn't want to give up my personal time for my family if there wasn't any guarantee at the end. I then asked if there was an actual job and the recruiter never answered my question- essentially dodged it. I checked the website and there was no listing. Essentially I was about to take PTO for a role that didn't even exist.

Interview Questions

• How do you go about getting buy in from business owners?   1 Answer

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKesson (Richmond, VA) in July 2014.

Interview

Applied online. Had a brief call with a HR recruiter from their offices in Georgia for an initial interview screen. Had a second HR recruiter call from their Richmond office 1 week later. Both consisted of general behavioral questions and a discussion of applicable work experience. Neither were difficult - interviewers did not seem too engaged or interested, rather they seemed to just be reading from a predetermined script. First HR call also had basic information requests (i.e, are you eligible to work in the US, salary requirements, current salary, etc.) A few days later I was contacted to move forward in the process for 3 different one-on-one meetings with 2 managers and 1 VP. Interview questions were all straightforward behavioral and "tell me about a time..." type of questions. There were no case interviews or analysis/skill set questions. I perceived this as a red flag in that the VP claimed they were looking for candidates with the ability to do analysis and think big picture rather than just those who would be doing basic spreadsheet work. True analyst interviews I've had in the past typically have been structured to evaluate analysis skills beyond the typical 'tell me about at time...' vetting process (i.e., case base - qualitative/quantitative). One question that threw me off during my first face-to-face interview was when the manager asked my salary requirements, current salary and then if I'd consider a contract-to-hire opportunity. I was surprised given all these topics are generally covered during the HR screening phase. Also the position was not advertised as a contract-to-hire position on their website. When I inquired about the contract-to-hire issue, I was told that they like to hire internally and when they look external they prefer to use the contract-to-hire option in order to make sure it's a good fit on their end and also the candidates' end. I found that a fairly lame explanation - they wanted to offer contract-to-hire positions because it minimizes the risk on their end as an employer and essentially places all the risk on the candidate. I told them that I was unaware the role was a contract-to-hire position and that I was interested in full-time positions. On a side note, the job posting stated they were looking for candidates with 5 years of experience and preferably a MBA. I found this interesting given they essentially were offering contract-to-hire positions yet looking for top notch analysts. From my observation of the current job market, mid to senior, A-level analysts are typically priced above contract-to-hire positions. Alas, given the nature of their type of work and company culture, offering contract-to-hire positions apparently has been sufficient to successfully fulfilling their demand for analysts in their business units. After my last interview I was told they would be making a decision very quickly and I would hear back shortly. A week later, after not hearing anything, I emailed the HR rep. A few days after that, they emailed back and notified me they were pursuing other candidates. In summary, the McKesson Medical Surgical business looks to have a bright future with a lot of growth opportunities (they bought out their biggest competitor in that particular market last year and are in the process of merging the business units). Can't quite say for sure what my exact reasons were for being rejected (i.e., been better candidates, responses to interview questions). However, I believe my unwillingness to consider a contract-to-hire position may have had an effect on their decision. In all fairness, this should have been addressed in one of the two initial HR screening interviews and/or their job posting online. Would have saved both parties time (i.e., I wouldn't have wasted a half day of vacation).

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had an effect on the bottom line. Tell me about a time you went above and beyond. Tell me about a time you made a mistake. Tell me about a situation you were pressured under a deadline. Why McKesson? What type of experience do you have with balance sheets/income statements? What other companies are you interviewing with? Why are you looking to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKesson.

Interview

Telephone interview with couple of recruiters who asked basic questions like past experience and knowledge on the skills that is required for the current position. Highlighting importance on the role of an analyst.

Account Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKesson (San Francisco, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The process was inexplicably long and laborious. I applied in June, contacted in July and interviewed through September. The process began with a HR talent and continued with a F2F 1:1 hiring manager interview, a phone interview with the VP; followed by executive partner interviews. A total of 7 interviews with 8 executives and I submitted a work example.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKesson.

Interview

Saw the position advert online, Apply via the company website and was later call for to schedule phone interview, I later came to be interview by some group of managers and then the final interview .

Interview Questions

• What Mistake/ Error have you made in the past during your duty discharge   Answer Question

Negotiation

The company negotiated with the salary and I finally accepted the offer