McKesson Medical-Surgical Interview Questions

Updated Sep 18, 2014

2.4

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in July 2014.

Applied online. Had a brief call with a HR recruiter from their offices in Georgia for an initial interview screen. Had a second HR recruiter call from their Richmond office 1 week later. Both consisted of general behavioral questions and a discussion of applicable work experience. Neither were difficult - interviewers did not seem too engaged or interested, rather they seemed to just be reading from a predetermined script. First HR call also had basic information requests (i.e, are you eligible to work in the US, salary requirements, current salary, etc.) A few days later I was contacted to move forward in the process for 3 different one-on-one meetings with 2 managers and 1 VP.

Interview questions were all straightforward behavioral and "tell me about a time..." type of questions. There were no case interviews or analysis/skill set questions. I perceived this as a red flag in that the VP claimed they were looking for candidates with the ability to do analysis and think big picture rather than just those who would be doing basic spreadsheet work. True analyst interviews I've had in the past typically have been structured to evaluate analysis skills beyond the typical 'tell me about at time...' vetting process (i.e., case base - qualitative/quantitative).

One question that threw me off during my first face-to-face interview was when the manager asked my salary requirements, current salary and then if I'd consider a contract-to-hire opportunity. I was surprised given all these topics are generally covered during the HR screening phase. Also the position was not advertised as a contract-to-hire position on their website.

When I inquired about the contract-to-hire issue, I was told that they like to hire internally and when they look external they prefer to use the contract-to-hire option in order to make sure it's a good fit on their end and also the candidates' end. I found that a fairly lame explanation - they wanted to offer contract-to-hire positions because it minimizes the risk on their end as an employer and essentially places all the risk on the candidate. I told them that I was unaware the role was a contract-to-hire position and that I was interested in full-time positions.

On a side note, the job posting stated they were looking for candidates with 5 years of experience and preferably a MBA. I found this interesting given they essentially were offering contract-to-hire positions yet looking for top notch analysts. From my observation of the current job market, mid to senior, A-level analysts are typically priced above contract-to-hire positions. Alas, given the nature of their type of work and company culture, offering contract-to-hire positions apparently has been sufficient to successfully fulfilling their demand for analysts in their business units.

After my last interview I was told they would be making a decision very quickly and I would hear back shortly. A week later, after not hearing anything, I emailed the HR rep. A few days after that, they emailed back and notified me they were pursuing other candidates.

In summary, the McKesson Medical Surgical business looks to have a bright future with a lot of growth opportunities (they bought out their biggest competitor in that particular market last year and are in the process of merging the business units). Can't quite say for sure what my exact reasons were for being rejected (i.e., been better candidates, responses to interview questions). However, I believe my unwillingness to consider a contract-to-hire position may have had an effect on their decision. In all fairness, this should have been addressed in one of the two initial HR screening interviews and/or their job posting online. Would have saved both parties time (i.e., I wouldn't have wasted a half day of vacation).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you had an effect on the bottom line.
      Tell me about a time you went above and beyond.
      Tell me about a time you made a mistake.
      Tell me about a situation you were pressured under a deadline.
      Why McKesson?
      What type of experience do you have with balance sheets/income statements?
      What other companies are you interviewing with?
      Why are you looking to leave your current position?
        Answer Question

Sourcing Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in April 2014.

HR contacted first for the job actually a level lowered than what I applied for, but wanted to have a converation anyway. The conversation went pretty well with the HR contact and was told that I could expect a follow up with decisions regarding next step in a couple of days which didn't happen. Followed up once, still no response and after 3 weeks I was told the position was filled...

Interview Questions
    • standard instruduction of the business what they do and go through my resume as well as asked how I feel about the postions, why wanted to change job, nothing unexpected.   Answer Question

Manager, Network and Infrastructure Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in February 2014.

Became a McKesson employee through acquisition of existing organization... I did NOT interview directly for a job within McKesson. I did apply for 6 other positions within the company but was NOT given any consideration even though I was an existing employee

Field Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in January 2014.

I submitted resume online via job board and was contacted initially by recruiter for phone screen, who then passed on my information to someone in talent acquisition at Zee Medical. She was polite and professional and scheduled me to meet with Regional Sales Manager. Interview went well, I was asked to come back and meet with VP. Interview went well, thanked for their time in follow-up note.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked if I would have any issue with competing against a former co-worker   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical.

Supervisors take way to long to hire and interview. There are SOME supervisors who do not care if you are hired or fired if you are a temp.

Interview Questions
    • Why is it that this company has so much money and has so many temps in all the departments? Why are they not hiring people like they should? This world has families and jobless people makes some peoples day and hire..............   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in August 2011.

Consisted of an initial phone interview, followed by a 1:1 interview a few days later. Two separate interviews were scheduled after the 1:1, one being a panel interview. The overall process took about a week and was told that I'd be informed in 1-2 weeks regarding an offer.

Interview Questions
    • What was an instance when you received pushback & resistance, and what did you do?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in May 2011.

Initial communication via email with the hiring manager. Onsite interview with the team of managers and team members. Lunch with the entire team and then more interview and salary discussion with the hiring manager... it was an All Day affair! Most of the discussion was focused on experience, technical ability and work / project history.

Interview Questions
    Easy discussion with hiring manager

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in March 2011.

Initial communications w/ company recruiter who already determined I was a good fit for the position. The hiring manager talked through the interview, would finish my sentences, spoke very fast, and I felt like he was trying to hurry through the interview. The second interview was with a team member who had never done an interview (read off a standard list of questions). The recruiter keeps reaching out to me every 6-12 months for positions. I am always one of the top candidates; however, I feel like they are disorganized and not focused on the key factors that are essential for the position.

Interview Questions
    • What were your 3 greatest professional accomplishments?   View Answer

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in May 2009.

The interviewers didn't seem to have enough time to interview me. It was an easy interview, with basic questions that asked me to think of examples from previous employers of how I achieved certain goals. It would have been nice to been able to know more about the lack of culture that this company has during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • It was all, give an example of when you led a team to solve a problem?   Answer Question
    they only negotiated the signing bonus, not the base salary.

Inventory Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKesson Medical-Surgical in September 2011.

I was already with the company. The HR rep who had interviewed me before knew my skill set and knew what I was looking for. He reached out to me and let me know of this opened position I might be interested. I had to do an internal interview process. I applied for the position, a week later got a call from HR for the first interview. It consisted a serious of behavior interview questions, my skill sets and etc. Then got a call for an interview with hiring manager about a day or two later. Went through a serious of behavior interview questions, technical questions, etc. Both interviewers were very pleasant.

Interview Questions
    I was offered the position, but I didn't like the salary. I presented my case for why I think my skill set where within a certain range and the offer wasn't meeting my requirement. The hiring manager and the HR team worked together and came back with a different offer. They were very open when I suggested the new range and came back within 2 days with a new offer.

Worked for McKesson Medical-Surgical? Contribute to the Community!