McKinney Rogers International

Relevance Date Difficulty

Principal Interview

Principal
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinney Rogers International in February 2011.

Interview Details – The initial discussions were conducted by phone. These were pleasant and the interviewers made a point in explaining their business proposition. The second stage consists on a 1:1 interview. The interview was scheduled one week in advance however it got cancelled 15 minutes before its start. That was the first red flag. The 3rd stage was a panel interview. Again it got delayed I was only notified 15 minutes before. Another red flag. The panel interview consists of some role playing . However, 2 of the panel were joining via VC. That doesn't help the exercise. After the interview I was promised an answer within 48h. Nothing happened. I had to call after some days only to learn that the new date was in one week's time. After one week, nothing happened, again without giving any notice or apology for this unprofessional behaviour. Another delay and the story goes on.

Overall, people seem nice and the employees seem sincere when they say they enjoy working there. The business proposition is unique and interesting and people are very approachable. However the partners are extremely unprofessional on their handling of the recruitment process.

For a company who preaches execution this is the ultimate red flag. They can't manage their own recruitment process and they come across as disrespectful and unconsiderate. This company does not deserve to attract top talent.

Interview Question – How would your peers comment on your performance recently.   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 7 months - interviewed at McKinney Rogers International in August 2010.

Interview Details – The interviews themselves were pretty straightforward; for the most part fit and personality based. The people I met were pleasant and genuinely interested in giving a favorable account of themselves and their employer. There was evidently no interview framework prescribed from above - interviewers had carte blanche to adopt their own interviewing style and talk about whatever they pleased. All pretty vanilla stuff and nothing you wouldn't see elsewhere. The culmination of the interview process was a case that was issued a few days in advance of the actual meeting. The case itself was a role-play in which the interviewee adopts the role of the Consultant and the interviewing Partners adopt the role of the made-up firm's management. Candidates are encouraged to produce a deck to support their "pitch" to the potential clients in the role play. So far, so good. The more i saw of this firm the more unimpressed I was. I also took the opportunity to speak with former employees - this did not help their image. So, as objectively as I can here goes: final interviews conducted by video conference: unprofessional. Final interviews conducted by people who have been at the firm for less than three months and are still on their probationary period - also unprofessional. Taking good ideas from interview candidates' decks and then weaving them into their own client presentations: resourceful but pretty lame and not to mention underhand. Receiving warnings from three interviewers about the firm's underinvestment in employees and autocratic military culture? I appreciated the candor but it hardly sold McKinney Rogers to me. Finally, and in my viewpoint most egregiously, the complete absence of any concept of timeline, structure or accountability in the interviewing process. The process ambled along with no dates and constant prodding and coercing from me. 7 months to complete an interview process; WTF? If there actually is an HR department i cannot imagine what they spend all day doing - certainly not processing travel expense claims or communicating with interview candidates. Nice people but a deeply flawed organization that under its current guise does not deserve and should not expect to receive the best consulting talent.

Interview Question – Nothing was actually that hard or original: the firm has an unusual value proposition so you need to be able to explain that pretty clearly and demonstrate that you understand it, what makes a good consultant, describe yourself in three words,   Answer Question

Worked for McKinney Rogers International? Contribute to the Community!