McKinsey & Company

Getting the Interview

19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – After applying online I received call from HR Manager within two working days. She then sent me link to case interview study material. After 5 weeks she scheduled my further interview. Evening before my interview she called me to tell that interview may not be case interview. It was kind of late to give this kind of information because I was already knee deep into studying case interview and had not really thought about any other kind of questions. On the day of interview manager called me 15 minutes late. Interview was not case interview. It was like any other normal interview. It caught me off-guard. After hardly ten minutes and breaking my speech in between interviewer ended the interview.

Interview Question – How do you perform segmentation analysis?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Analyst

The process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – The interview process at McKinsey was extremely professional. Everyone I was in contact with gave me immediate feedback and were open to helping me in any way. The interview process is long and tiresome and the cases are challenging but it was a very good experience overall.

Interview Question – Why McKinsey?   Answer Question

Analyst
San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – Extremely long and thorough interview and test process. Starts with PST and an English test. Next I was interviewed for the first time. I was asked a series of technical questions and a guesstimate problem. Next I was called for another interview, a technical test (SQL,VBA) and a logic/IQ test. These tests are simple enough if you prepare (PST was tougher). Next I was called in for two other interviews and this was the last of the process. It took a total of 2 months.
I must say I am very disappointed with MCK. I had very high opinion of the company and the way they behaved with me shows a lack of common courtesy and that they are extremely unprofessional. After all the process and with extremely positive comments from all 4 interviewers and from the HR contact, I was told I would be given an answer within two days. THis call never came so I called the next week, I was told then that I should wait for a few more days. I called next week after that and they gave me a new ETA, which was a couple of weeks later. I didnt get a call on that day but on the next and it was to tell me that unfortunately the position wasnt open, that I was on "hold" and that I should look for another job but that they were thrilled and very happy and impressed with me (yes! she actually said it like that!). I was originally told that there were 9 positions available and I told this to the HR person. She told me that my profile was more for the position that wasnt open. I asked her if I didnt meet the profile for the other positions for technical reasons, and that if so I was willing to get tested and interviewed on those. She wasnt even sure why I was rejected for the other positions, she stuttered as she explained this to me, sounding not to convinced as to what she was saying (sounded like she was making it up) and sounded eager to get me off the phone. She told me she would discuss this with the person in charge and call me right away... It has been 2 weeks and I am still waiting for the call... It is evident to me now that they didnt have the professionalism to actually tell me what I miss and to give me some REAL feedback. Nor they had the common courtesy to call me when they say they would nor to actually tell me I just wasnt hired. I didnt expect this type of behaviour from MCK.

Interview Question – PST was by far the hardest. I recommend practicing guesstimate questions. I was asked to estimate the number of liters needed to paint a city.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Professional, in-depth and challenging interview process. Exceptionally talented people who interviewed me.

Interview Question – The business scenarios that we were given were extremely difficult. I have since found out that US MBA Books can assist in preparing for such an interview.   Answer Question

Lagos (Nigeria)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2013.

Interview Details – I wrote and passed the Problem Solving Test. I was then selected for the 1st round of interviews. I had a coaching session with one of the analysts. On the day of the Interview, I was put through two interview sessions for the 1st round and each of them was an hour on average. First was a one on one live session, the other was also through video conferencing.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you disagreed with a teammate, what happened, what did you do and how was it resolved?   Answer Question
  • What challenges have you faced with any of your teammates while working as part of a team, what happened, what did you do (i.e did you seek advice), how was it resolved?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Rigorous test on your personality, previous experience, PST

Interview Question – PROBLEM SOLVING TEST   View Answer

Delhi (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2011.

Interview Details – Very transparent and competitive. Optimally designed to remove interviewer bias and spans across previous experience, problem solving ability, academic profile.
Pays lots of attention in synthesis of the problem statement and logical flow of solving the problem. Should be excellent in communication, both verbally as well as in writing.

Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

Interview Details – I was placed directly from my B School. The process started at 8AM and ended at 7 PM.
There were 4 rounds of interview and a written test.
Written test had aptitude, analytical, English vocabulary and comprehension
Interview rounds included HR, 2 - Problem Solving rounds and Sector specific questions

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – No negotiations as a fresher

Analyst

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2010.

Interview Details – first round is phone interview by HR, followed by a case interview over the phone by an ex Consultant. Once you pass the case interview, you got flown into one of the offices(in my case Atlanta) for a half-day or full day interview depending on the level of position. The on-site consists of 2 case interviews and a written test. I personally find the written test has a lot of information(charts and figures). One needs to analyze swiftly with an acute sense to numbers to finish all in time.

Interview Question – A case on the American public school district operations evaluation. This is not straight forward for a foreign student without such cultural context.   Answer Question

Madrid (Spain)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2010.

Interview Details – Two 1:1 interviews, 15-20 min of personal questions, 30 of case study. 1 math-logic test with 26 questions (similar to GRE/GMAT questions, not hard but time-consuming). One of the interviewers and I didn't get along, at all. Only got feedback from him.

Interview Question – Tell me a story about a time in which you led a team and there was a conflict.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Analyst interview questions and advice. All 19 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.