McKinsey & Company

Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.9

23 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Analyst Interview

good grilling process ,with technical written along with case studies.one of a kind of interviews,one would rarely experience.
3 written tests along with 3 rounds of interviews of which 2 technical.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

After applying online I received call from HR Manager within two working days. She then sent me link to case interview study material. After 5 weeks she scheduled my further interview. Evening before my interview she called me to tell that interview may not be case interview. It was kind of late to give this kind of information because I was already knee deep into studying case interview and had not really thought about any other kind of questions. On the day of interview manager called me 15 minutes late. Interview was not case interview. It was like any other normal interview. It caught me off-guard. After hardly ten minutes and breaking my speech in between interviewer ended the interview.

Analyst Interview

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

The interview process at McKinsey was extremely professional. Everyone I was in contact with gave me immediate feedback and were open to helping me in any way. The interview process is long and tiresome and the cases are challenging but it was a very good experience overall.

Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Problem Solving Test followed by two rounds of interviews. First round consisted of two one hour interviews, with 15 minutes personal experience questions and another 45 minutes on a case. The second round was strictly quantitative. All the interviews were one-on-one. Worth noting is that the interviewers each asked the same question for background experience; but it was clear that they each wanted a unique example to be employed to answer the question.

Interview Questions
    • The quantitative section of the second round interview was much harder than anything else I have seen in a case interview.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, San Jose (Costa Rica)

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Extremely long and thorough interview and test process. Starts with PST and an English test. Next I was interviewed for the first time. I was asked a series of technical questions and a guesstimate problem. Next I was called for another interview, a technical test (SQL,VBA) and a logic/IQ test. These tests are simple enough if you prepare (PST was tougher). Next I was called in for two other interviews and this was the last of the process. It took a total of 2 months.
    I must say I am very disappointed with MCK. I had very high opinion of the company and the way they behaved with me shows a lack of common courtesy and that they are extremely unprofessional. After all the process and with extremely positive comments from all 4 interviewers and from the HR contact, I was told I would be given an answer within two days. THis call never came so I called the next week, I was told then that I should wait for a few more days. I called next week after that and they gave me a new ETA, which was a couple of weeks later. I didnt get a call on that day but on the next and it was to tell me that unfortunately the position wasnt open, that I was on "hold" and that I should look for another job but that they were thrilled and very happy and impressed with me (yes! she actually said it like that!). I was originally told that there were 9 positions available and I told this to the HR person. She told me that my profile was more for the position that wasnt open. I asked her if I didnt meet the profile for the other positions for technical reasons, and that if so I was willing to get tested and interviewed on those. She wasnt even sure why I was rejected for the other positions, she stuttered as she explained this to me, sounding not to convinced as to what she was saying (sounded like she was making it up) and sounded eager to get me off the phone. She told me she would discuss this with the person in charge and call me right away... It has been 2 weeks and I am still waiting for the call... It is evident to me now that they didnt have the professionalism to actually tell me what I miss and to give me some REAL feedback. Nor they had the common courtesy to call me when they say they would nor to actually tell me I just wasnt hired. I didnt expect this type of behaviour from MCK.

Interview Questions
    • PST was by far the hardest. I recommend practicing guesstimate questions. I was asked to estimate the number of liters needed to paint a city.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Professional, in-depth and challenging interview process. Exceptionally talented people who interviewed me.

Interview Questions
    • The business scenarios that we were given were extremely difficult. I have since found out that US MBA Books can assist in preparing for such an interview.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagos (Nigeria)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lagos (Nigeria)

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2013.

I wrote and passed the Problem Solving Test. I was then selected for the 1st round of interviews. I had a coaching session with one of the analysts. On the day of the Interview, I was put through two interview sessions for the 1st round and each of them was an hour on average. First was a one on one live session, the other was also through video conferencing.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you disagreed with a teammate, what happened, what did you do and how was it resolved?   Answer Question
    • What challenges have you faced with any of your teammates while working as part of a team, what happened, what did you do (i.e did you seek advice), how was it resolved?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Rigorous test on your personality, previous experience, PST

Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2012.

Referred by former Managing Director; set up interview while in town.

Two case questions, one with each interviewer.

One was a profitability issue for various retails branches in various geographic locations.

One was a market sizing question.

Interview Questions
    • The profitability issue I found particularly difficult and did not know how to start. However, I chalk this up mostly to not being prepared enough and it shouldn't be THAT difficult if you've done enough case practices.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

There were several rounds of interview including Technical round, problem solving round, fitment round, HR round and then another technical round. Technical rounds were based more on past experience and moderately on the current role. The problem solving round being the most interesting as it mostly decides at which level you will be hired. The rest were mostly around your attitude and communication etc.

Non-negotiable