McKinsey & Company

Updated Dec 11, 2014

4.1

188 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Associate Interview

First round onsite interview is in the office close to where you live, first one hour is the notorious Problem solving test, the questions are not so hard, but the time is so limited. Then comes group interview, one consultant led 5-6 interviewees in a case study, it's the typical command and control style, not hard if you prepare a bit, but obviously not everyone is prepared. They say the group interview is not evaluative, but actually they do somehow take it into account, I didn't do very well in PST but was good in case interview, so they passed me into the next round.

Second round was about 2 weeks later, they flew me to the regional central office, very fancy office at the top of a skyscraper in downtown, gorgeous view. Two back to back case interviews, each about 50 minutes, case is again command and control style, not hard at all, what matters is how you answered it, how you structured it, and how you communicate it.

Didn't pass the 2nd round, obviously competition was too extreme, but nice experience overall.

Interview Questions
  • The questions are not specifically so difficult. I think how you answered and your behavior and impressions you gave to interview are more important.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied and went through three rounds as an APD candidate. I had a great experience over 8 interviews and the written Problem Solving Test. The first round was two group cases, the second was two individual cases, and the final round was 4 individual cases. Each individual case was accompanied by a behavioral interview as well.The people I interviewd with were friendly and the company covered all expenses during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the formula DCF analysis on one of the cases. I did not know what it was but was able to do the calculation with some help from the interviewer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed.

Associate Interview

Initial interview was a set of two cases and behavioural questions. The interviews were in their main office and with 2 partners. They were looking for strength of leadership and analysis. It is a great company but it is not for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me a time when you had to influence a group.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Brought in through APD recruitment program. First round was a problem-solving test and group practice case. Second round was individual personal and case interviews. Experience with case interviews is definitely necessary--if you plan to apply, start practicing before applying as there might only be a short amount of time between your first and second round interviews.

Received useful individual feedback about my performance after each round.

Interview Questions
    • None--they are very straightforward about the structure of the interview process and how to prepare.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through my business school (top-15) in U.S for the BTO practice. I interviewed first round in one office and then second round at my chosen office. The first round interview (two cases and PEIs) went very well - I was told that I was one of the 'standout' candidates. The second round had 4 interviews (PEI and case in each), 3 of them with Partners and one with Associate Principal. Interview cases were not hard - the math was very easy and I solved them correctly. Some brainstorming with one partner maybe didn't go very well because his point of view had certain assumptions (that I brought out). Disappointed to not get an offer.

Associate Interview

First round: PEI and group case. Advancing to next round depends on score on exam.

Second round: Two separate hour-long interviews with an engagement manager and an associate. Part behavioral/part case

Final round: Four separate hour-long interviews with three partners and an engagement manager. Much more difficult than the second round of interviews.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Invited to interview through on campus recruitment. The expected "McKinsey" interview format: Fit: tell me about a situation when your leadership skills were challenged, about a failure, a situation when a project was going south, you faced opposition and critique, how did you react, what did you say, etc. Cases were not too complicated, one case in new iPad app format. Way too focused on their "framework" or "McKinsey mindset", rather than the thought process or conclusions of the interviewee.
    Quick, although rather useless feedback. Very professional in their communication and interaction.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

The interview process consisted of three rounds
    1) Problem Solving Test and Group Mock Interview
    The Problem Solving Test is highly time constrained. It is important to take the online practice tests to get a sense of how to budget your time. The online practice tests are very similar in format and difficulty to the actual test. I was told that the Group Mock Interview is not selective. Just don't break any social norms. It's a good way for you to learn the McKinsey interview format.

2) Two 1:1 interviews
    Each interview consists of two parts. The first part is the Personal Experience Interview, which is one story, usually with a lead-in question of "Tell me about a time when you... [demonstrated leadership/overcame an obstacle/had impact/etc]". The second part is the case, which is interviewer led and usually starts with a case description, then a break for you to structure an approach, then a quantitative question with some data the interview provides, then one or two more open-ended questions, and finally a short impromptu conclusion.

3) Three 1:1 interviews
    Same as 2), except with more senior people at the firm (Principals & Partners). Some may go a little "off-script", but format is still fairly similar.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I initially applied for the McKinsey "Insight" program and was invited for a telephone interview (I submitted a full academic CV (4 pages) since they asked for it and I have a PhD). The telephone interview involved a small fit portion and a case for 30 mins. The fit portion went well but I bombed the case and was not invited for the program. I was disappointed but this failed interview led to full-time Associate interview in the Fall of the same year WITHOUT me having to resubmit my CV and hence go through a CV short listing process. Also, I was given an option to interview 1 month earlier than the regular fall interview process, which does not provide an advantage but you could have a early job offer, if you get it.

1st round (Boston): PST and 2 team cases. You can find information regarding PST everywhere in the internet and as mentioned everywhere it is tough and prepare well for it. Time management is key and make sure to answer all questions. The team cases were regular case interviews led by associates or senior associates from McK. Be proactive and enjoy the process.

1st round decision: You get to hear within a week if you get through to 2nd round

2nd round (Boston): 2 case interview with Senior Associates and/or Engagement Mangers and in a rare case with Principals. 45 mins long with PEI and case component. Not tricky cases if you have done enough practice. Be confident, be clear, be structured and do your math quickly and efficiently. For APD candidates they value your confidence and sharpness a lot.

2nd round decision: You will get to hear within 3-5 days if you get through to final round

Final round (New York): 3 interviews with Junior Partners (Principals), Partners and Directors (Senior Partners). Essentially exact same format as round 2 but unstructured. Hard to tell what they are looking for at this stage. Be yourself, enjoy the process, make it conversational and nail the math. Make sure your are confident and lively throughout this process. If you dont enjoy the interviews you will not enjoy the job.

Final round decision: You will get to hear the same day if you make it. If you dont hear the same day MOSTLY you did not make it, but still a small possibility.

Practice at least 50 cases before the interviews with people who know what the hell they are talking about and not random people

Interview Questions
    Nothing, amazing offer, took and ran with it

Associate Interview

apply online.first round case: open business, behaviour handle conflict. very friendly staff. before interview was training by consultant. very effective and structured. case maths is very easy but points are creative