McKinsey & Company Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jun 22, 2014

4.1

173 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2010.

I applied as a doctor. I had to take a preliminary 60 minute screening test with ~40-50 questions. That initial encounter included a group interview, which was non-evaluative. There were two subsequent rounds, each with three interviews, each of which touched on personal background, personal experience, and a case study. I was offered the position on the night of the third round. Very good experience overall.

Interview Questions
  • The questions were all fair and nothing was really out of the ordinary. The thing that I appreciated more than anything else was the two-way conversation with each of the interviewers.   Answer Question
I didn't negotiate

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2012.

Standard case based interview. There are two parts to every McK interview - a case based portion and a personal experience component. Many practice cases are found online and the questions are similar in nature, tailored to different cases, of course.

Interview Questions
    • None of the questions were difficult or unexpected, if you knew what a case interview was. No brain teasers or anything of that nature. The interview is very standard. Most people just get thrown by the fact that it's a verbal interview, meaning the interviewer will ask you questions verbally, including longer math questions.   Answer Question
    I don't think McK negotiates pay. They might negotiate location though and a lot of people probably do negotiate that.

Associate Interview

first round and second round very professional, last round depends on the style of the office, can vary a lot

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

I applied online and received an interview invitation about a month later. The first round was paper-based problem solving test, which was trying simulating a real case interview. Whether people can pass this initial round I think pretty much depends on other candidates' performance as well.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

I was interviewing for McKinsey on the West Coast.

First round was a standardized test, followed by breakout session. Most of the emphasis is on the test, although you can't do terribly on the breakout sessions. I passed this portion, and was free to reselect office locations.

Second round was in-office, with consultants. All interviewees were flown out to SF, and the interview was very standard with Associates and Engagement Managers. Expect ~1-2 weeks to hear back.

The final round was in-office, and was with Associate Principals through to Directors. The cases were markedly more difficult, but spanned the usual spectrum of topics.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral questions were twists on the ones they asked in the first round. Ensure that you have many stories lined up!   Answer Question

Associate Interview

First round test, second round interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied as an advanced degree holder so the first round is PST test plus a group session. The second round comprises two one-to-one interviews (15 mins fit and 30 mins case discussion). After that, it comes to the final round, which includes three interviews given by partners.

Interview Questions
    • A U.S-based jeans manufacturer is facing declining profits. Its profitability has been lagging behind its competitors. The cost has gone up a lot. Its CEO has come to you for advices.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 6 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Many rounds. Very high stress in-between rounds. Final call is the best feeling on earth. If you come from MD, PhD def do your cases. Of the 300+ that applied with me for APD only those who did 80+ cases got offers. This probably isn't true for top MBAs, but if you're coming from science I think its pretty accurate in most cases. McKinsey definitely has an "it" factor, as an APD it really makes you stand out if you are confident and can communicate on par with an MBA.

Interview Questions
    • Very difficult charts and graphs.... almost intentionally unclear. Most important advice I can give is to take a step back and not rush yourself into a hole.   Answer Question
    Negotiation non existant. I had offers from BCG and other top places on the table but I never felt like it was appropriate to bring that up with McKinsey. I remember a partner saying that if a few thousand dollars make you question working here than we don't want you. I can agree with that mentality and signed my offer like a good boy!

Associate Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Online application

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

the process took three weeks. PST, 2 interviews in round 2, 3 interviews in the final round. The cases were not difficult, personal part is way more important than you may think it is. Overall the process is not difficult, you just must excel at a lot of small details and be confident.

None