McKinsey & Company

189 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

-- Quant test
-- Business case + personal interview
-- 9 interviews total: 3 days with 3 interviewers each day
- Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
- Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
- Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit

Interview Questions
  • - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
    - Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
    - Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

McKinsey comes to my business school to interview candidates every year. They shortlist students for the interview purely based on their resumes unlike the other consulting firms who rely, at varying degrees, on networking. This shows how meritocratic they are. Even though the consultants who came to the school appeared aloof during the company presentation and networking events, they become extremely friendly, polite and humble during the interview days both at my b-school campus and during my visit to their NYC office.
    There were two interviews on campus and then those selected for the final rounds had 3-4 rounds with partners/principals at their preferred location. All the interviews are half behavioral and half case. In the campus round, the behavioral questions were more predictable - they wanted to know how you influence people or handle conflicts. The stories have to be detailed with focus on what you were thinking at that point and why you did what you did.
    The final rounds are very similar to the first rounds except that the partners have more freedom in the process. Be ready to talk about things not on your resume, about your passion, about your personal life as well (what I mean is, questions like biggest mistake, etc shouldn't or needn't just be a professional story). I think a BIG factor here is likability - the partners have to like you. Hence it becomes more subjective very unlike the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something not on your resume - it is hard because you don't know where to start and what is relevant. I am not sure I answered the question well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

First they scheduled a practice case over the phone, which was great. They said it didn't count and provided excellent feedback of how to improve. Then came the phone interview, where I did one case that took about 30 minutes. The next step was an in person interview, where I first did the written test (very comparable to the online version in content and difficulty), and then two cases (plus 10 minutes of behavioral questions) with relatively junior staff. Then a few weeks later, the final interview (same mix of behavioral questions and cases) with 3 much more senior people.

Interview Questions
    • They were all fairly typical cases - no unexpected curves. It was really quite fun and a very collegial and pleasant atmosphere.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Introduced to recruitment manager for initial casual chat re process etc. by a friend. Applied online a few months later. Interview - 2 rounds. 1st round - problem solving test (!!!!!) and 2 50-min interviews, 1 on 1, consisted of 1 behavioural qs and one case each. 2nd round - 3 50-min interviews with partners.

Associate Interview

I went through the standard 3 interview rounds for PhD potential hires.
    Round 1 was the Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment (IWIA). For this stage of the process, I took an hour long standardized test and had two group "practice cases".
    Round 2 was two one-on-one case+personal experience interviews.
    Round 3 was three one-on-one case+personal experience interviews at what would become my home office.
    After each stage of the process, I was given the chance to get feedback on my performance and talk with someone from the company. I started the interview process relatively uninterested in a job in consulting, but the people I met along the way completely changed my mind. I was extremely impressed by how friendly, helpful, and open everyone at McKinsey was throughout the interview process. The interviews were tough but fair, and I felt like I had a decent idea of what to expect at each round.

Interview Questions
    • I spent time preparing to answer case questions, but I didn't spend as much time early on working on my answers for the personal experience part of the interview. After the second round, I realized the the PE portion needed plenty of prep to come out sounding coherent and polished. I'd highly suggest you come up with several stories about likely topics (leadership, passion, failure, conflict, etc.) and spend some time thinking through how you'd like to talk about them.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

first round and second round very professional, last round depends on the style of the office, can vary a lot

Associate Interview

First round test, second round interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2014.

Submitted resume through my school's job portal. Interviewed with McKinsey in January. Getting your resume shortlisted for the onsite interview is considered as round 1. I interviewed with them in Chicago in January. It's an associate role for APD (Advaned Professional Degree) holders.
    The interview had 2 parts: Problem Solving Test (PST) and 2 Group Case interview workshops.
    The math test involved calculations and time management is the key here. You cannot solve all 26 questions in the PST in the given time. Do not get stuck on any one question. I had 3 sets and I solved 16 questions confidently.
    After this, we were divided into teams of 4 each and were assigned a Mckinsey associate to solve a case. We were taken into small conference rooms and after introductions, the associate explained us the case. We were given 2 sets of exhibits, one at the start of the case and another at the middle.
    Each of us was cold called to answer one question per head pertaining to the case. The question can be a mathematical calculation or "what would you suggest the management in this scenario" type questions.
    For the second case workshop, I was put into another team and we had a different associate this time. The process remained pretty much the same. Practice cases as much as you can, learn a few frameworks. The conference rooms are small and the associate can look into your paper work to see how you are drawing/breaking down information on the case. From my observation, they love it if you can clearly represent the information on the case in clear pattern on your notes.
    When they ask you to say your observation on the exhibits, do not say what's clearly visible. Tell them something that's hidden in the exhibit but can be seen with a deeper observation.

Interview Questions
    • None. Practice cases as much as you can. Prepare CAT (Common Admission Test) /GMAT Data interpretation questions and speed math. CAT is conducted in India for admission into IIMs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied as an advanced degree holder so the first round is PST test plus a group session. The second round comprises two one-to-one interviews (15 mins fit and 30 mins case discussion). After that, it comes to the final round, which includes three interviews given by partners.

Interview Questions
    • A U.S-based jeans manufacturer is facing declining profits. Its profitability has been lagging behind its competitors. The cost has gone up a lot. Its CEO has come to you for advices.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Online application