McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 29, 2014

4.0

155 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two rounds, first at the local office near campus and the final round at the office I was applying for. First round consisted of 2 45-minute interviews and final round was 3 45-minute interviews. Also had to take a test (PST) before the first round. Each interview consists of a case and fit portion.

Interview Questions
  • Cases were all pretty straightforward and nothing surprising if you've practiced cases in their firm format before. Grilled most in the fit part, they go very in-depth during the personal experience story.   Answer Question
Could negotiate start date, nothing else

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2014.

Experienced hire. Standard PEI and cases. Nothing very surprising in terms of the content of the interview. The most important thing is to be able to think fast and accurately under stress. The interviewers are all very friendly and really do help you relax. They really want you to succeed and do guide you when you are stuck. Great firm culture and very enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Dig deeper and draw implications on very vaguely drawn charts/exhibits.   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
    First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
    Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Questions
    • Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round interview: 1 case = 15 minute behavioral based on one initial question and some follow up questions. 45 minute case. 2 cases for the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing out of the ordinary. Cases are straightforward. They ask a lot of follow ups on the behavioral, so know your story.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Everything is almost the same as the official website. Passed resume screening, did PST on Wednesday and 1st round interview on Friday. Next Monday night one of the interviewers called me to announce their decision and provide feedback. At the office they provided profile of everyone's interviewers, so that people can know their background and likely industry of the cases that may be used in the interview.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round with two cases, pretty straightforward. Second round with three cases with partners. Cases including business situations and estimation questions.
    Both partners and consultants were pretty friendly, gave me feedback at each round and encouraged me to apply again.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate grocery store yearly revenue in two different ways.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!