McKinsey & Company

Getting the Interview

143 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Question – Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for my interviews through my school. I got notified within a week of an office visit for the first round which consisted of three one-hour interviews, followed by a written test. Within two business days, I was notified that I made the final round the following Friday. That consisted of another four one-hour interviews. All interviews had a half-hour experiential/behavioral portion and a half-hour case interview portion. I was notified by the end of the day of my final round of my offer.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the speed and clarity of the process. Everyone I met was modest and friendly!

Interview Question – What is not on your resume that I should know about you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – Case Interview

Interview Question – Case Interview   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, only starting date,.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – Took the PST on campus on a Monday, had first round interviews at the office that week consisting of 2 case interviews. Notified of final round interviews the following week, and flew to the office that Friday. Was told I had an offer a few hours after the final interviews (3 case interviews with Partners)

Interview Question – What is something that you have been thinking about recently? (Philosophically, something about what's going on in the world)   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – First round interview: 1 case = 15 minute behavioral based on one initial question and some follow up questions. 45 minute case. 2 cases for the first round.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Cases are straightforward. They ask a lot of follow ups on the behavioral, so know your story.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went through a first-round interview with McKinsey. They reached out to me — before that I hadn't heard of them. Though the initial recruitment was appealing, and everyone was very friendly, some of the people I met were just off-putting. One of the representatives was from the university that they were recruiting at (a big state school), and yet he couldn't stop mentioning Harvard.

Interview Question – They wanted very specific details during the behavioral about your life: what did you do then, how did that person react (they seemed to want the exact words they said). They were clearly trying to catch anybody who had inflated their resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – '0th round': 1-hour pencil and paper problem solving test featuring questions on three mock business issues. The practice tests on McKinsey's site are very similar to the real deal.

1st round interview: 2 'double' interviews: a 'Personal Experience Interview' thoroughly exploring an example of demonstrated leadership followed immediately by an interviewer-led case interview.

2nd round interview: 3 'double' interviews with senior members of the office.

Interview Question – Be prepared to solve business problems in industries you know nothing about. You aren't expected to know about them, either; instead, you're expected to quickly recognize what you need to find out.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Everything is almost the same as the official website. Passed resume screening, did PST on Wednesday and 1st round interview on Friday. Next Monday night one of the interviewers called me to announce their decision and provide feedback. At the office they provided profile of everyone's interviewers, so that people can know their background and likely industry of the cases that may be used in the interview.

Interview Question – No unexpected question   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – First round with two cases, pretty straightforward. Second round with three cases with partners. Cases including business situations and estimation questions.
Both partners and consultants were pretty friendly, gave me feedback at each round and encouraged me to apply again.

Interview Question – Estimate grocery store yearly revenue in two different ways.   Answer Question

Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

Interview Details – The on-campus multiple-choice exam was similar to the practice offered online. The first-round interview cases were straightforward but the final round (in the NYC office) was quite intense, not because of case difficulty but because interviewers seemed to be on the offensive / I felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Question – How could you have avoided your greatest failure?   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company Business Analyst interview questions and advice. All 143 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.