McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

4.0

152 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2014.

Experienced hire. Standard PEI and cases. Nothing very surprising in terms of the content of the interview. The most important thing is to be able to think fast and accurately under stress. The interviewers are all very friendly and really do help you relax. They really want you to succeed and do guide you when you are stuck. Great firm culture and very enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Dig deeper and draw implications on very vaguely drawn charts/exhibits.   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

I was brought in for an interview for a BA role in Boston, and ended up going through two case interviews and one problem solving test. Each of the three parts was an hour long, and the most intimidating one was the first case interview. I felt it was more challenging because I never did case interviews before (other than with peers). The second case went better, but my feedback, after being declined for a second and final round interview was because of my poor performance on the first case.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you were faced with a difficult problem and how did you solve it.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
    First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
    Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Questions
    • Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

I applied for my interviews through my school. I got notified within a week of an office visit for the first round which consisted of three one-hour interviews, followed by a written test. Within two business days, I was notified that I made the final round the following Friday. That consisted of another four one-hour interviews. All interviews had a half-hour experiential/behavioral portion and a half-hour case interview portion. I was notified by the end of the day of my final round of my offer.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the speed and clarity of the process. Everyone I met was modest and friendly!

Interview Questions
    • What is not on your resume that I should know about you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Case Interview

Interview Questions
    No negotiation phase, only starting date,.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Took the PST on campus on a Monday, had first round interviews at the office that week consisting of 2 case interviews. Notified of final round interviews the following week, and flew to the office that Friday. Was told I had an offer a few hours after the final interviews (3 case interviews with Partners)

Interview Questions
    • What is something that you have been thinking about recently? (Philosophically, something about what's going on in the world)   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!