McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
149 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Question – The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was brought in for an interview for a BA role in Boston, and ended up going through two case interviews and one problem solving test. Each of the three parts was an hour long, and the most intimidating one was the first case interview. I felt it was more challenging because I never did case interviews before (other than with peers). The second case went better, but my feedback, after being declined for a second and final round interview was because of my poor performance on the first case.

Interview Question – Describe a situation in which you were faced with a difficult problem and how did you solve it.   View Answer

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Question – Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Question – Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – I applied for my interviews through my school. I got notified within a week of an office visit for the first round which consisted of three one-hour interviews, followed by a written test. Within two business days, I was notified that I made the final round the following Friday. That consisted of another four one-hour interviews. All interviews had a half-hour experiential/behavioral portion and a half-hour case interview portion. I was notified by the end of the day of my final round of my offer.

Overall, I was extremely pleased with the speed and clarity of the process. Everyone I met was modest and friendly!

Interview Question – What is not on your resume that I should know about you?   Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Interview Details – Case Interview

Interview Question – Case Interview   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation phase, only starting date,.

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

Interview Details – Took the PST on campus on a Monday, had first round interviews at the office that week consisting of 2 case interviews. Notified of final round interviews the following week, and flew to the office that Friday. Was told I had an offer a few hours after the final interviews (3 case interviews with Partners)

Interview Question – What is something that you have been thinking about recently? (Philosophically, something about what's going on in the world)   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – First round interview: 1 case = 15 minute behavioral based on one initial question and some follow up questions. 45 minute case. 2 cases for the first round.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary. Cases are straightforward. They ask a lot of follow ups on the behavioral, so know your story.   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – I went through a first-round interview with McKinsey. They reached out to me — before that I hadn't heard of them. Though the initial recruitment was appealing, and everyone was very friendly, some of the people I met were just off-putting. One of the representatives was from the university that they were recruiting at (a big state school), and yet he couldn't stop mentioning Harvard.

Interview Question – They wanted very specific details during the behavioral about your life: what did you do then, how did that person react (they seemed to want the exact words they said). They were clearly trying to catch anybody who had inflated their resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

Interview Details – '0th round': 1-hour pencil and paper problem solving test featuring questions on three mock business issues. The practice tests on McKinsey's site are very similar to the real deal.

1st round interview: 2 'double' interviews: a 'Personal Experience Interview' thoroughly exploring an example of demonstrated leadership followed immediately by an interviewer-led case interview.

2nd round interview: 3 'double' interviews with senior members of the office.

Interview Question – Be prepared to solve business problems in industries you know nothing about. You aren't expected to know about them, either; instead, you're expected to quickly recognize what you need to find out.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!