McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 13, 2015

4.0

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I had two 50-minute first-round interviews on campus at our career services building. The interviewers were each polite. The process is pretty formulaic. People under-prepare for the personal experience interview. The rest of the Big 3 seem less concerned with this, and as far as I can tell I was toast 5 minutes into my second interview when I hadn't answered the exact PEI question my interviewer had asked me. Cases were not terrible, but the charts are designed to be difficult to read. Be ready for that.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Selected for first round interviews conduced in their Chicago office.
    There were two back-to-back interviews, lasting one hour each. The first 20ish minutes were fit questions and the remaining time was used to run over a case. The case was very similar to the practice ones they have online.

The behavioral interview at McKinsey is more challenging than their case interview. Have a lot of stories prepared for each type of situation.

Interview Questions

• 3-4 examples of a time when you faced conflict in a group setting.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied through my university, which takes part in McKinsey's formal campus recruitment process. The first round consisted of two back-to-back case interviews, which were about 45 minutes each. Those who move on to the next round are typically flown to a McKinsey office for interviews. Offers are extended after several rounds of interviews. Overall, the company's process is fair and transparent.

Interview Questions

• There were typical business cases; there was nothing unexpected. Each interview began with questions about how I managed disagreement in a group setting.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting from a target university. They had a series of events leading up to the interview including coffee chats with consultants and a case interview workshop. The interview was standard two interviews, each an hour long, split into personal experience and case interview. You're advised to use a different story for each interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Delve into a story where you had to persuade someone to do something. Develop a product strategy for a wine manufacturer and distributor.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Standard, multi-part business case and experience interview focused on example management consulting situations and challenging situations from past work. Several components are assessed on each part, and process is repeated with slight variations across 3 interviewers over a 3 hour period.

Interview Questions

• What about your current role makes you an asset for the role to which you're applying?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions

• How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I was contacted by a recruiter who screened me over a 30 minute period, asking questions in regard to why I was interested in management consulting, my resume, my current position and why I was interested in McKinsey in particular. She then scheduled me for an over-the-phone coaching session for a case study. I was told it was non evaluative but that I should look over the cases on their website. I was not originally considering management consulting, and so had very little case preparation. I purchased Case In Point and reviewed and practiced 3 cases a day for 2 weeks, as well as completing the cases on McKinsey, Deloitte, and Bain's websites. I practiced 4 oral cases with friends/family. The coaching session went poorly. I struggled with the quantitative section, but being generally stronger in the other areas. I concentrated on quantitative skills for the next week before the evaluative case. The evaluative phone case was standard for McKinsey, I believe. The interviewer made no small talk, was not personable, and just wanted to finish the interview. He was not rude, but it was clearly an evaluation with little flexibility. I was contacted by the original recruiter over the phone 3 days later, to inform me that I had not performed strongly enough to continue to the in-person round. Overall the experience was positive and people were friendly. While I was upset at not having performed up to par, I was also aware that McKinsey & Co was probably not the best fit for me.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Interview

I was recruited through on-campus process at a Tier 1 University. The process was very transparent and short- two weeks in total. The initial interviews took place on campus and then I was flown to the Chicago office for the second round interviews. The McKinsey PST (Problem Solving Test) was not required during my interview process. I was told that it no longer is required for students straight out of universities.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was surprising during the questioning. The initial personal fit portion of the interviews was the extremely basic questions- the interviewer is just trying to see if they'd like to work with you at 7:00 PM.
      The cases are straight forward. My advice is to be very analytical and prove how you think. Don't stress the math- My math was far from perfect, but my interviews still went very well.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Atlanta, GA) in October 2014.

Interview

2 rounds of interviews. First round comprised of two interviews 50 minutes, each with a behavioral and case interview. Second round consisted of four interviews structured similar to the first round.

Interview Questions

• The behavioral interview is not your typical question answer session. They want to know who you are at a deeper level and this is your chance to shine. Know your story inside and out and be prepared to talk in detail about a particular situation.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't try and negotiate.