McKinsey & Company

Updated Jan 20, 2015

4.0

173 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied through my university, which takes part in McKinsey's formal campus recruitment process. The first round consisted of two back-to-back case interviews, which were about 45 minutes each. Those who move on to the next round are typically flown to a McKinsey office for interviews. Offers are extended after several rounds of interviews. Overall, the company's process is fair and transparent.

Interview Questions
  • There were typical business cases; there was nothing unexpected. Each interview began with questions about how I managed disagreement in a group setting.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through campus recruiting from a target university. They had a series of events leading up to the interview including coffee chats with consultants and a case interview workshop. The interview was standard two interviews, each an hour long, split into personal experience and case interview. You're advised to use a different story for each interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Delve into a story where you had to persuade someone to do something. Develop a product strategy for a wine manufacturer and distributor.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Standard, multi-part business case and experience interview focused on example management consulting situations and challenging situations from past work. Several components are assessed on each part, and process is repeated with slight variations across 3 interviewers over a 3 hour period.

Interview Questions
    • What about your current role makes you an asset for the role to which you're applying?   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions
    • How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

First round consisted of 2 50 minute interviews -- about 25 minutes of case, 20 minutes of PEI, and 5 minutes of questions/getting-to-know-you. Both cases were relatively straightforward -- the first centered on sales intensity (revenue generated per square foot) for a large retailer, the second on analyzing the drivers of revenue decline for a wine manufacturer. I actually found the PEI (fit) portion to be the most difficult. Be ready to go in to great detail (specific conversations, thoughts, etc.) during your personal experience portion and be prepared to justify exactly why you did certain things.

Second round consisted of 3 50 minute interviews with 1 hour break. The cases were more challenging, particularly the math -- you needed to be able to draw information from graphs/tables without being prompted to, and it was sometimes conceptually difficult to set up the correct equations. My advice is to stay calm and be communicative. Tell the interview what you are thinking and what you are struggling with, and with any luck he/she will give you a nudge in the right direction. Additionally, as the second round is with higher-ups in the firm, the format of each interview can be much more flexible. My second interview, for example, was purely discussion based and didn't have a case. Be ready for anything!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you struggled to set a goal you had set for yourself   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

I was recruited through on-campus process at a Tier 1 University. The process was very transparent and short- two weeks in total. The initial interviews took place on campus and then I was flown to the Chicago office for the second round interviews. The McKinsey PST (Problem Solving Test) was not required during my interview process. I was told that it no longer is required for students straight out of universities.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was surprising during the questioning. The initial personal fit portion of the interviews was the extremely basic questions- the interviewer is just trying to see if they'd like to work with you at 7:00 PM.
      The cases are straight forward. My advice is to be very analytical and prove how you think. Don't stress the math- My math was far from perfect, but my interviews still went very well.

Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

2 rounds of interviews. First round comprised of two interviews 50 minutes, each with a behavioral and case interview. Second round consisted of four interviews structured similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral interview is not your typical question answer session. They want to know who you are at a deeper level and this is your chance to shine. Know your story inside and out and be prepared to talk in detail about a particular situation.   Answer Question
    I didn't try and negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

I applied online and heard back within a week of the application. I networked with several employees before I received a first round invitation and I think that is the primary reason why I was chosen for a first round interview. The interview itself was straightforward, the experience questions were similar to what I expected and the cases were not too difficult. I would just make sure to brush up on your quick math before the interview and to have a clear plan throughout the case.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding reducing CO2 emissions with electric vehicles. The answer the interviewer was looking for was not too complex, but I was thrown off by the unexpected subject   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two rounds, first at the local office near campus and the final round at the office I was applying for. First round consisted of 2 45-minute interviews and final round was 3 45-minute interviews. Also had to take a test (PST) before the first round. Each interview consists of a case and fit portion.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were all pretty straightforward and nothing surprising if you've practiced cases in their firm format before. Grilled most in the fit part, they go very in-depth during the personal experience story.   Answer Question
    Could negotiate start date, nothing else