McKinsey & Company

Updated Dec 15, 2014

4.0

167 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions
  • nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions
    • How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

First round consisted of 2 50 minute interviews -- about 25 minutes of case, 20 minutes of PEI, and 5 minutes of questions/getting-to-know-you. Both cases were relatively straightforward -- the first centered on sales intensity (revenue generated per square foot) for a large retailer, the second on analyzing the drivers of revenue decline for a wine manufacturer. I actually found the PEI (fit) portion to be the most difficult. Be ready to go in to great detail (specific conversations, thoughts, etc.) during your personal experience portion and be prepared to justify exactly why you did certain things.

Second round consisted of 3 50 minute interviews with 1 hour break. The cases were more challenging, particularly the math -- you needed to be able to draw information from graphs/tables without being prompted to, and it was sometimes conceptually difficult to set up the correct equations. My advice is to stay calm and be communicative. Tell the interview what you are thinking and what you are struggling with, and with any luck he/she will give you a nudge in the right direction. Additionally, as the second round is with higher-ups in the firm, the format of each interview can be much more flexible. My second interview, for example, was purely discussion based and didn't have a case. Be ready for anything!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you struggled to set a goal you had set for yourself   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

I was recruited through on-campus process at a Tier 1 University. The process was very transparent and short- two weeks in total. The initial interviews took place on campus and then I was flown to the Chicago office for the second round interviews. The McKinsey PST (Problem Solving Test) was not required during my interview process. I was told that it no longer is required for students straight out of universities.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was surprising during the questioning. The initial personal fit portion of the interviews was the extremely basic questions- the interviewer is just trying to see if they'd like to work with you at 7:00 PM.
      The cases are straight forward. My advice is to be very analytical and prove how you think. Don't stress the math- My math was far from perfect, but my interviews still went very well.

Answer Question
    No negotiation.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

2 rounds of interviews. First round comprised of two interviews 50 minutes, each with a behavioral and case interview. Second round consisted of four interviews structured similar to the first round.

Interview Questions
    • The behavioral interview is not your typical question answer session. They want to know who you are at a deeper level and this is your chance to shine. Know your story inside and out and be prepared to talk in detail about a particular situation.   Answer Question
    I didn't try and negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

I applied online and heard back within a week of the application. I networked with several employees before I received a first round invitation and I think that is the primary reason why I was chosen for a first round interview. The interview itself was straightforward, the experience questions were similar to what I expected and the cases were not too difficult. I would just make sure to brush up on your quick math before the interview and to have a clear plan throughout the case.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding reducing CO2 emissions with electric vehicles. The answer the interviewer was looking for was not too complex, but I was thrown off by the unexpected subject   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two rounds, first at the local office near campus and the final round at the office I was applying for. First round consisted of 2 45-minute interviews and final round was 3 45-minute interviews. Also had to take a test (PST) before the first round. Each interview consists of a case and fit portion.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were all pretty straightforward and nothing surprising if you've practiced cases in their firm format before. Grilled most in the fit part, they go very in-depth during the personal experience story.   Answer Question
    Could negotiate start date, nothing else

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter, set up for an interview, received a case buddy to study for the case with who came from McKinsey. All around lots of communication and helped with a lot of resources.