McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions & Reviews

Updated Jun 5, 2014
149 interviews

149 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Everything is almost the same as the official website. Passed resume screening, did PST on Wednesday and 1st round interview on Friday. Next Monday night one of the interviewers called me to announce their decision and provide feedback. At the office they provided profile of everyone's interviewers, so that people can know their background and likely industry of the cases that may be used in the interview.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round with two cases, pretty straightforward. Second round with three cases with partners. Cases including business situations and estimation questions.
    Both partners and consultants were pretty friendly, gave me feedback at each round and encouraged me to apply again.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate grocery store yearly revenue in two different ways.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

The on-campus multiple-choice exam was similar to the practice offered online. The first-round interview cases were straightforward but the final round (in the NYC office) was quite intense, not because of case difficulty but because interviewers seemed to be on the offensive / I felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Questions
    • How could you have avoided your greatest failure?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Great process; people from the company try to help you prepare

Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Campus hiring. Resume submission and then was called for the first round of interviews to their office in SF. There is a test and then two one on one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Their style of judging your leadership skills is different.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The written test is sort of useless, especially since what they really seem to be looking for are people who can think intensely and strategically about a problem (not math geniuses). One case interview was about CPGs; the second was harder, about forming a city in the middle of the desert. The qualitative part of the interview is more important than people usually think—they base a lot of decisions on how one presents oneself.

Interview Questions
    • In the second case, about building a city in the middle of the desert, the interviewer wanted me to get to how to price water, and when I wasn't getting there, she started pressing hard. It was disconcerting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

called in a week before interview date. two 45 minute interviews with principal and engagement manager.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time where you were given a tough task that you were unsure of how to do, and how you went about fulfilling the task   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

I applied to a program for sophomores interested in an early start into the consulting world. I went for the three interviews on-site in the offices in Boston. The first interview was a case after a quick resume review. I was asked to predict sales estimates based on a few graphs given to me. The second interview was on public schools ($ coming in, leaving, etc.) and the last one was a brief resume review and a skills test.

Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

Applied through campus portal. Was called in for the first round of interview at DC.
    Two rounds of interviews and a PST.

Two interviews similar in content and structure. A behavioral question, followed by a business case.

Interview Questions
    • The process was pretty much as described in the pre interview information sessions conducted by the HR.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

Like everyone else, I began by applying online. They don't require a cover letter, but you are dead-on-arrival if you don't take the time to write one. For example, at my university, about 400 people apply in a given year, and 24 are selected for first rounds.

My first round was similar to what else you can read here. I took the Problem Solving Test. I definitely recommend you work through the examples online beforehand. You'll get a sense of the types of questions and data sets you'll be dealing with. The key with the test is to prioritize; I'm pretty some problems are designed to take 10 minutes to solve-- a big waste of your time. You are not penalized for guessing, so only focus on the questions that seem doable.

Next part of the first round was two interviews, each 50 minutes total-- 20 minutes on behavior/experience and 30 minutes on a case. The behavioral questions are often overlooked in the preparation process, but I strongly encourage you to prep well for them. McKinsey wants to see that you've excelled in four key areas: problem-solving, achievement, leadership, and personal impact. I would prepare two answers for each of these categories. McKinsey will go very deep on each experience you share.

During the case portion of my first round, I was given the "good cop, bad cop" treatment. My first interviewer was pretty tough on me, never seeming impressed. He also repeatedly tried to get me to change my answers on questions. The key here is to remain calm, methodically explain and defend your position, without coming across as defensive. If you do this well, you'll get huge points with them. My second interviewer was very genial and helpful, so I had no concerns about that half of the day.

About 24 hours later, I received a call informing I had been selected for a final round, and that I was going to be flown out to a different office. They put me in a nice hotel, took me and the other candidates out for a nice dinner, and all-in-all, were extremely hospitable.

The final round consisted of three interviews in the same format as before. These were with two partners and the office director. I felt like these only went 'OK'; my interviewers were not terribly responsive or supportive with my answers. However, I projected confidence, remained structured with my answers, and didn't really screw up the math. I got a call about an hour after it was all over.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed with how professional the firm was throughout the process. Before each round, I was assigned a case prep 'buddy' (a current BA in the firm) to do a practice case with me. McKinsey strives to help you perform your absolute best during the evaluation process. I've never been treated so well during a recruiting process.

Final thoughts: be thoughtful and structured with your answers during the cases; be ready to go very deep on your past-experience questions; project confidence even if you are less confident about your answers; and above all, try to have fun with the process. The cases are a great example of what it's like to be a consultant, and if you want to become one, you should enjoy the cases at some level.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a build consensus within a large group.   Answer Question