McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014

4.0

152 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round interview: 1 case = 15 minute behavioral based on one initial question and some follow up questions. 45 minute case. 2 cases for the first round.

Interview Questions
  • Nothing out of the ordinary. Cases are straightforward. They ask a lot of follow ups on the behavioral, so know your story.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

I went through a first-round interview with McKinsey. They reached out to me — before that I hadn't heard of them. Though the initial recruitment was appealing, and everyone was very friendly, some of the people I met were just off-putting. One of the representatives was from the university that they were recruiting at (a big state school), and yet he couldn't stop mentioning Harvard.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted very specific details during the behavioral about your life: what did you do then, how did that person react (they seemed to want the exact words they said). They were clearly trying to catch anybody who had inflated their resume.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

'0th round': 1-hour pencil and paper problem solving test featuring questions on three mock business issues. The practice tests on McKinsey's site are very similar to the real deal.

1st round interview: 2 'double' interviews: a 'Personal Experience Interview' thoroughly exploring an example of demonstrated leadership followed immediately by an interviewer-led case interview.

2nd round interview: 3 'double' interviews with senior members of the office.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared to solve business problems in industries you know nothing about. You aren't expected to know about them, either; instead, you're expected to quickly recognize what you need to find out.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Everything is almost the same as the official website. Passed resume screening, did PST on Wednesday and 1st round interview on Friday. Next Monday night one of the interviewers called me to announce their decision and provide feedback. At the office they provided profile of everyone's interviewers, so that people can know their background and likely industry of the cases that may be used in the interview.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round with two cases, pretty straightforward. Second round with three cases with partners. Cases including business situations and estimation questions.
    Both partners and consultants were pretty friendly, gave me feedback at each round and encouraged me to apply again.

Interview Questions
    • Estimate grocery store yearly revenue in two different ways.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cambridge, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

The on-campus multiple-choice exam was similar to the practice offered online. The first-round interview cases were straightforward but the final round (in the NYC office) was quite intense, not because of case difficulty but because interviewers seemed to be on the offensive / I felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Questions
    • How could you have avoided your greatest failure?   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Great process; people from the company try to help you prepare

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Campus hiring. Resume submission and then was called for the first round of interviews to their office in SF. There is a test and then two one on one interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Their style of judging your leadership skills is different.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The written test is sort of useless, especially since what they really seem to be looking for are people who can think intensely and strategically about a problem (not math geniuses). One case interview was about CPGs; the second was harder, about forming a city in the middle of the desert. The qualitative part of the interview is more important than people usually think—they base a lot of decisions on how one presents oneself.

Interview Questions
    • In the second case, about building a city in the middle of the desert, the interviewer wanted me to get to how to price water, and when I wasn't getting there, she started pressing hard. It was disconcerting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

called in a week before interview date. two 45 minute interviews with principal and engagement manager.

Interview Questions
    • describe a time where you were given a tough task that you were unsure of how to do, and how you went about fulfilling the task   Answer Question