McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

4.0

159 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

SF Office, 2nd Round Interview. Two one-on-one case interviews with Engagement Managers. First one more technical, second more experience-based.

Interview Questions
  • A turnaround-like question that ended up being a question about market share. In particular, they asked me to list the relevant factors to consider in evaluating whether or not to introduce a new product. The case ended up focusing on market share of existing products.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

From Campus Recruiting Center:

1st round: PST test. relatively difficult and combined reading comprehension with business cases (1 hour). Followed by two 1:1 interviews (50 minutes each) delving into personal experience and a business case. With personal experience, really focused on individual contribution. With the cases, they cut me off when it was clear I understood the impact to move on to another one ("Ok, what else?"). The cases also included a quantitative aspect as well with percentage calculations and such.

Was given a second round consisting of four 1:1 interviews (50 minutes each) with directors and partners.
    Similar structure to first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Took PST. Not too difficult, 26 questions over 60 minutes containing mostly reasoning and math. Did 2nd round interview with 2 interviewers (case + fit). Did very well, got along with interviewers. Moved to 3rd round, also case + fit. The math was significantlly harder, and I messed up math on one of the interviewers. However, most people messed up the math, and I got the offer anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a challenge in a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

It started late September with two case interviews and a problem solving test on campus. They actually took pretty long getting back to us but offered final rounds about two weeks later. From there, there were about two weeks until the final round in the office which consisted of three more case interviews pretty much the same as before. If anything, the McK cases are a bit more structured and you are sort of led through things a bit more than other places.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you had a disagreement with someone while working on a group project and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Tough interview -- includes very probing case interview and personal fit interview. Was challenged on some of my math.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2010.

Submitted resume online.
    1 phone interview on resume.
    1 phone coaching session on case studies.
    1 phone case + functional knowledge review.
    On-site with written exam and talking with 2 experts on case and functional knowledge.
    Another on-site in a different city meeting with a director and an expert.
    The most lengthy interview I've had but all the people I met are nice and enthusiastic.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2010.

I applied to a program for sophomores interested in an early start into the consulting world. I went for the three interviews on-site in the offices in Boston. The first interview was a case after a quick resume review. I was asked to predict sales estimates based on a few graphs given to me. The second interview was on public schools ($ coming in, leaving, etc.) and the last one was a brief resume review and a skills test.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

very structured interviews, more so than BCG/Bain in my experience
    - behavioral part was straightforward (choose anecdotes and explain them in depth)
    - case interviews emphasize mental quant skills and structuring a problem
    - good to have background business knowledge and tie the case to relevant context

Interview Questions
    • What is the biggest mistake you've ever made?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

First round in McKinsey's Boston office since I go to school in Boston. I figured out the key thing to make it through the first round is to make sure your numbers are correct + your structures are clear. Most of the cases used by McKinsey are lead by the interviewer. So once you are done with laying out your structure they will lead you through the rest of the interview. It was very straight forward. Be very clear about what you say. I didn't even finish the first case (no time for conclusion) but you should be very clear from the beginning to the end.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me an experience in which you convince someone.   View Answer
    I think it is not a good idea for BA to negotiate their offers. You are entering as a junior person and your bargaining power is not very strong. I didn't negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Each interview consisted of a personal part and a consulting case part. The personal part went into a lot of detail about a few personal experiences that I had either in school or outside. The business case was always very simple and straightforward but tests your organizational abilities more than your intelligence. This is why it's a good idea to practice structuring these problems through practice cases.

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you a personal experience down to every detail.   Answer Question
    They are very helpful and want to make sure you are making the right decision too - not antagonistic at all.