McKinsey & Company Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

4.0

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Austin, TX) in September 2013.

Interview

I went through a first-round interview with McKinsey. They reached out to me — before that I hadn't heard of them. Though the initial recruitment was appealing, and everyone was very friendly, some of the people I met were just off-putting. One of the representatives was from the university that they were recruiting at (a big state school), and yet he couldn't stop mentioning Harvard.

Interview Questions

• They wanted very specific details during the behavioral about your life: what did you do then, how did that person react (they seemed to want the exact words they said). They were clearly trying to catch anybody who had inflated their resume.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Campus hiring. Resume submission and then was called for the first round of interviews to their office in SF. There is a test and then two one on one interviews.

Interview Questions

• Their style of judging your leadership skills is different.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The written test is sort of useless, especially since what they really seem to be looking for are people who can think intensely and strategically about a problem (not math geniuses). One case interview was about CPGs; the second was harder, about forming a city in the middle of the desert. The qualitative part of the interview is more important than people usually think—they base a lot of decisions on how one presents oneself.

Interview Questions

• In the second case, about building a city in the middle of the desert, the interviewer wanted me to get to how to price water, and when I wasn't getting there, she started pressing hard. It was disconcerting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2012.

Interview

Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Questions

• The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Cambridge, MA) in October 2012.

Interview

The on-campus multiple-choice exam was similar to the practice offered online. The first-round interview cases were straightforward but the final round (in the NYC office) was quite intense, not because of case difficulty but because interviewers seemed to be on the offensive / I felt like I was being grilled.

Interview Questions

• How could you have avoided your greatest failure?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in October 2012.

Interview

Applied through campus portal. Was called in for the first round of interview at DC. Two rounds of interviews and a PST. Two interviews similar in content and structure. A behavioral question, followed by a business case.

Interview Questions

• The process was pretty much as described in the pre interview information sessions conducted by the HR.   1 Answer

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

Interview

1) Enter system through referral and campus recruiting. 2) Take written test at local McKinsey office. Test covers how you would service a McKinsey client in three case scenarios. 3) Virtual interview with two junior consultants. Each presents you with a relatively closed-end business case to walk through. 4) In-person interview with three senior consultants. Each presents you with a more open-ended business case to walk through, but interviews focus on personal traits and experiences. 5) Job offer!

Interview Questions

• Talk about a time you had to convince someone or a group to change their behavior.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation for junior roles :)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in September 2012.

Interview

International student, who is currently completing a masters at a target university. McKinsey came on campus and introduced itself through various lunches and company presentations. First round interview was held at local office and included a logic test and two interviews. Final round was held in New York and consisted of 3 interviews. The whole application process lasted less than a month (2 weeks online application, 2 weeks for 2 interview rounds and offer the next business day).

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in February 2012.

Interview

called in a week before interview date. two 45 minute interviews with principal and engagement manager.

Interview Questions

• describe a time where you were given a tough task that you were unsure of how to do, and how you went about fulfilling the task   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2011.

Interview

First rounds at Chicago office - two 45-min interviews with 15-20min behavioral and 25-30 min case. Behavioral is super intense and they'll drill down on the same situation for 15-20 min. Interviewers clearly more direct than at other firms. Case itself wasn't as hard as other top firms, but McK will push back a lot more and use that as a way to see if you really understand business dynamics.