McKinsey & Company

Updated Nov 9, 2014

4.0

165 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2011.

First rounds at Chicago office - two 45-min interviews with 15-20min behavioral and 25-30 min case. Behavioral is super intense and they'll drill down on the same situation for 15-20 min.

Interviewers clearly more direct than at other firms. Case itself wasn't as hard as other top firms, but McK will push back a lot more and use that as a way to see if you really understand business dynamics.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

Like everyone else, I began by applying online. They don't require a cover letter, but you are dead-on-arrival if you don't take the time to write one. For example, at my university, about 400 people apply in a given year, and 24 are selected for first rounds.

My first round was similar to what else you can read here. I took the Problem Solving Test. I definitely recommend you work through the examples online beforehand. You'll get a sense of the types of questions and data sets you'll be dealing with. The key with the test is to prioritize; I'm pretty some problems are designed to take 10 minutes to solve-- a big waste of your time. You are not penalized for guessing, so only focus on the questions that seem doable.

Next part of the first round was two interviews, each 50 minutes total-- 20 minutes on behavior/experience and 30 minutes on a case. The behavioral questions are often overlooked in the preparation process, but I strongly encourage you to prep well for them. McKinsey wants to see that you've excelled in four key areas: problem-solving, achievement, leadership, and personal impact. I would prepare two answers for each of these categories. McKinsey will go very deep on each experience you share.

During the case portion of my first round, I was given the "good cop, bad cop" treatment. My first interviewer was pretty tough on me, never seeming impressed. He also repeatedly tried to get me to change my answers on questions. The key here is to remain calm, methodically explain and defend your position, without coming across as defensive. If you do this well, you'll get huge points with them. My second interviewer was very genial and helpful, so I had no concerns about that half of the day.

About 24 hours later, I received a call informing I had been selected for a final round, and that I was going to be flown out to a different office. They put me in a nice hotel, took me and the other candidates out for a nice dinner, and all-in-all, were extremely hospitable.

The final round consisted of three interviews in the same format as before. These were with two partners and the office director. I felt like these only went 'OK'; my interviewers were not terribly responsive or supportive with my answers. However, I projected confidence, remained structured with my answers, and didn't really screw up the math. I got a call about an hour after it was all over.

Overall, I was incredibly impressed with how professional the firm was throughout the process. Before each round, I was assigned a case prep 'buddy' (a current BA in the firm) to do a practice case with me. McKinsey strives to help you perform your absolute best during the evaluation process. I've never been treated so well during a recruiting process.

Final thoughts: be thoughtful and structured with your answers during the cases; be ready to go very deep on your past-experience questions; project confidence even if you are less confident about your answers; and above all, try to have fun with the process. The cases are a great example of what it's like to be a consultant, and if you want to become one, you should enjoy the cases at some level.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time where you had a build consensus within a large group.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

After I found out I got a first-round interview, the Recruitment Coordinator for my campus set up a conference call with other interview candidates and some McKinsey consultants to walk us through the first round interview process. I was then contacted by a McKinsey "coach" who spent 45 min on the phone with me preparing for the case interview. Night before the interview I took a problem solving test with other first round interview candidates at my school. The actual first round interview consisted of two 45 minute interviews. Each was about 15 minutes of fit, then half hour case. The fit portion was very specific; one interviewer asked about a leadership experience, while the other asked about a time when I had a disagreement with someone. They then both asked many follow-up questions to get every detail of the situation I was in. There weren't any questions about why consulting/why McKinsey, which I found surprising. The cases weren't too bad, more specific and interviewer-led than other firms.

Interview Questions
    • How would you calculate the annual carbon emissions from electric versus gas vehicles in the EU?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

So, if you're reading this, you're probably somewhat familiar with the process for management consulting interviews. Having interviewed with all of the top five firms - McKinsey, BCG, Bain, Monitor, and Oliver Wyman - I have to say that my McKinsey interview was one of the worst. The first case was a private equity case, and the interviewer was playing "bad cop." Essentially, most things that you learn about being "client friendly" while interviewing and breaking down information for your client so that it's easily followable could have been thrown out of the window for this one. The guy really rushed me along and could have cared less about the process. It was actually just unpleasant. On the other hand, BCG and Bain folk were great in the process. If you have an alternative option, I would not recommend interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • Determine the profit margins for this company for each year of the next three years (assuming constant annual growth).   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Great process; people from the company try to help you prepare

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2010.

Case Interview

Interview Questions
    No negotiation phase, only starting date,.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

SF Office, 2nd Round Interview. Two one-on-one case interviews with Engagement Managers. First one more technical, second more experience-based.

Interview Questions
    • A turnaround-like question that ended up being a question about market share. In particular, they asked me to list the relevant factors to consider in evaluating whether or not to introduce a new product. The case ended up focusing on market share of existing products.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

From Campus Recruiting Center:

1st round: PST test. relatively difficult and combined reading comprehension with business cases (1 hour). Followed by two 1:1 interviews (50 minutes each) delving into personal experience and a business case. With personal experience, really focused on individual contribution. With the cases, they cut me off when it was clear I understood the impact to move on to another one ("Ok, what else?"). The cases also included a quantitative aspect as well with percentage calculations and such.

Was given a second round consisting of four 1:1 interviews (50 minutes each) with directors and partners.
    Similar structure to first round.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Took PST. Not too difficult, 26 questions over 60 minutes containing mostly reasoning and math. Did 2nd round interview with 2 interviewers (case + fit). Did very well, got along with interviewers. Moved to 3rd round, also case + fit. The math was significantlly harder, and I messed up math on one of the interviewers. However, most people messed up the math, and I got the offer anyway.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a challenge in a team.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

It started late September with two case interviews and a problem solving test on campus. They actually took pretty long getting back to us but offered final rounds about two weeks later. From there, there were about two weeks until the final round in the office which consisted of three more case interviews pretty much the same as before. If anything, the McK cases are a bit more structured and you are sort of led through things a bit more than other places.

Interview Questions
    • What is a time you had a disagreement with someone while working on a group project and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question