McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
149 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Boston, MA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2010.

Interview Details – Submitted resume online.
1 phone interview on resume.
1 phone coaching session on case studies.
1 phone case + functional knowledge review.
On-site with written exam and talking with 2 experts on case and functional knowledge.
Another on-site in a different city meeting with a director and an expert.
The most lengthy interview I've had but all the people I met are nice and enthusiastic.

Interview Question – A question on a highly technical concept in major.   Answer Question

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – very structured interviews, more so than BCG/Bain in my experience
- behavioral part was straightforward (choose anecdotes and explain them in depth)
- case interviews emphasize mental quant skills and structuring a problem
- good to have background business knowledge and tie the case to relevant context

Interview Question – What is the biggest mistake you've ever made?   View Answer

Boston, MA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – Each interview consisted of a personal part and a consulting case part. The personal part went into a lot of detail about a few personal experiences that I had either in school or outside. The business case was always very simple and straightforward but tests your organizational abilities more than your intelligence. This is why it's a good idea to practice structuring these problems through practice cases.

Interview Question – They will ask you a personal experience down to every detail.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are very helpful and want to make sure you are making the right decision too - not antagonistic at all.

Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2008.

Interview Details – 2 rounds of interviews: 1 round (on campus) consisted of 2 cases; 2nd round (at the office) had 4 cases with senior office leadership. Company was very prompt in letting you know the results of the interviews (1 day for the first round; results of the 2nd round were communicated before I even got home)

Interview Question – Market sizing question   Answer Question

New York, NY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – First round in McKinsey's Boston office since I go to school in Boston. I figured out the key thing to make it through the first round is to make sure your numbers are correct + your structures are clear. Most of the cases used by McKinsey are lead by the interviewer. So once you are done with laying out your structure they will lead you through the rest of the interview. It was very straight forward. Be very clear about what you say. I didn't even finish the first case (no time for conclusion) but you should be very clear from the beginning to the end.

Interview Question – Tell me an experience in which you convince someone.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I think it is not a good idea for BA to negotiate their offers. You are entering as a junior person and your bargaining power is not very strong. I didn't negotiate.

Cleveland, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2008.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of 2 rounds of interviews at two different offices. The first involved 2 interviews with associate and engagement manager level consultants. The second day involved partners and directors. The case questions were relatively difficult each involving a real project scenario. The interviewers do a good job at leading you through the question, but require you to fill in many blanks which is both difficult and nerve racking, particularly if you have exhausted all thoughts on a subject matter.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of where you have left a lasting impact on an organization.   Answer Question
  • case based question around manufacturing process with the ultimate crack the case moment being that the manufacturing facility equipment was very wasteful.   Answer Question

Business Analyst

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2008.

Interview Details – I was called two weeks prior and asked to schedule for a paper based skills test in English. I was unsure as to the position that was being tested for. I had not previously formally applied, but had sent my resume to a friend who was worked in another office at the time. When I arrived I was told to wait on the couch in the front lobby. A woman came out promptly at 9am and escorted us into a conference room. She passed out the tests and several sheets of scratch paper and pens. We were told that we had a half hour for the test and at the end, all materials were to be returned. She then left.

The test consisted of three case studies with 25-30 multiple choice questions. A lot of reading and details. The questions tested inference and the ability to synthesize and interpret financial situations and values based on graphs with limited data and information presented in the text. My guess is that the position was going to have a strong financial emphasis.

There were three other applicants. At the end of the time limit, the woman returned, collected our materials and said that we would be contacted if the company felt it valuable to pursue further discussions with us as potential candidates.

I didn't hear back and so called about a week later. I was told very kindly that the company was not interested in continuing my application process at this time.

It was a nerve racking 30 min and a good chance to find out what I don't know. Probably not as difficult for someone with extensive business experience, though the time pressure was certainly an issue.

Interview Question – Company A is a luxury boat manufacturer and is debating offering a financing option to customers in order to stimulate sales. (From here it gave a brief overview and some financial data and then asked you to infer based on this data whether this would be a sound decision and what the returns expected might be given different scenarios.   View Answer

Boston, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2009.

Interview Details – This process was rather drawn out as McKinsey rapidly scaled back their hiring at non-core colleges during the Fall of 2008. As such, the interview dates were moved back from October to December and then until late January/early February. Although the number of available spots had shrunken greatly due to reduced hiring, McKinsey nonetheless interviewed a percentage of applicants comparable to other years. This made the interview process more frustrating and random as the eventual offers were distributed to a very small percentage of applicants amidst a very qualified pool.

Generally, my impression of my interviewers was negative compared to other comparable firms (BCG, Bain, Monitor) -- they struck me as arrogant. In particular, one interviewer with an engineering background professed that he didn't understand why McKinsey would hire non-engineers as they didn't have the requisite "problem solving" skills. As a motivated liberal arts major with experience in management consulting, I found this statement disheartening, misguided, and improper.

Interview Question – Men's fashion retailer case study   View Answer

Business Analyst

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2008.

Interview Details – there are two rounds of interviews. first round consists of 3 interviews with non-Partners. second round consists of 3 interviews with Partners. both rounds consist of case studies which may be focused on business problems or logic (brain-teaser type). Interviewers do not expect you to solve the problem, instead they focus on the structure of your answer

Interview Question – how many golf balls fit in an airplane   View Answers (29)

Milan (Italy)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – FIst part is composed of a PST (problem solving test). It depends on the office but is on average 26 questions to be made in 70 minutes. There are three case studies, with data, tables, charts and sometimes not-useful information. You need to recognize the relevant ones and crack the case answering the questions.

Interview Question – Specific question about financial instruments. I was rather expecting more general questions to test my reasoning and ability to gather relevant info, and quantitative analysis. Instead I got asked specific formulas since they mainly work with financial institution companies. One was about the "internal transfer rate" which I did not know given my non-finance background   Answer Question