McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

3.9

75 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

In first place you have to take a problem solving test, in order to prepare for it they offer you in their website 3 test samples, those test samples are similar in style to the real one; my advice is only to do those or not even that much, when i went to the interview a lot of people who practiced a lot where more nervous than those who did not practice as much, expect every question to be different!
After the problem solving test you have to do two interviews, one personal and one case study. In the first one you have to be yourself and be ready to every type of questions and in the case be ready to unexpected turns.
Finally you have the final interview with a partner with same style to the previous questions.

Interview Questions
  • in the case study when you have a really good answer, and they ask you for other possible answers, i find it difficult to quickly create another answer.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Menlo Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Menlo Park, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2010.

Interview process was held at business school. The company came on campus, hosted interviews, and provided plenty of information about the program, process, case studies, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to help a hotel figure out whether or not it should continue to stock mini-bars in their hotels - did it make sense? We walked through a case study and talked about the cost of restocking, the margins on the candy bars, etc, the cost of electricity and maintenance of the fridges.   View Answer

Consultant Interview

Was a straightforward interview and application process. Standard for consulting and MBB, and human resources was active in reaching out and scheduling an interview date. Case studies were also standard sizing and fit questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

I was referred to McKinsey as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited to the round one interview (IWIA). The IWIA consisted of the problem-solving test and two group cases. The second round interview consisted of two one-on-one cases.

Interview Questions
    • A frequent flyer program is concerned about the entrant of a low-cost airline into the US market. What should they do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

2nd round, standard McKinsey interview format. Felt good right after the interview. But was informed no pass. APD background, feel like the pool is very competitive. In general, the case by itself was not very difficult, but my feedback says more structure and implication is required. not sure my decline is because of performance not reach the minimal requirement or I was cut out because others out performed me.

Consultant Interview

Ghad a phone interview followed by in person interviews and a quiz. Kind of felt like taking the SATs or GREs all over again. There were 3-4 in person interviews. Most of them were "getting to know you" interviews which basically asked me to walk them thorough my resume. The other questions included things like "give an example of when you worked with someone difficult and explain how you dealt with it". The interviews also included case studies - I think looking through practice cases really helps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2009.

Two rounds with two different recruiters consisting of personal/cv interview + case studies. They were extremely nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2011.

I got literally one day's notice before my interview, so I feel like I was set up to fail. No "buddy" no "coaching" no help whatsoever. I had two phone interview case studies, which are almost impossible to do over the phone, because so much of a case study is body language and/or charts and graphs that they should give you on paper.

One interview went OK, although the phone connection on the interviewer's end was horrible. The other interview was awful. The person who interviewed me spent at least 50% of the time talking about themselves and all their amazing career accomplishments, so then the case portion was rushed and I did not have enough time to finish. The interviewer also snapped at me if I did not understand immediately what they wanted.

A week later, an admin sent me a rejection notice. No feedback provided. It's very depressing once you realize how much the game is rigged towards the Ivy Leaguers. They get coaching from McKinsey, they get a "buddy" who helps them prepare, they get weeks and weeks of notice for interviewers. Thus, the McKinsey interviewing system very simply perpetuates this machine of Ivy Leaguers helping other Ivy Leaguers. Any one outside of that system has very very very little chance of getting in. How could they? The Ivy Leaguers have all of the advantages and are allowed more leeway than anyone else applying.

McKinsey prides itself of being a meritocracy but this is a total joke. If it was, where was my coach? Where was my buddy? Where is my interview feedback? Where the interviewer who should be trying to help me succeed (as referenced in the other reviews)? Why did I get a rejection email from an admin, rather than a call from the person who interviewed me? Why did I not get the same treatment as those who went to fancy schools even though I interviewed for the same job?

If I sound bitter, I am. I was set up.

Interview Questions
    • It was all hard because the phone line was so bad and they were unclear. They did not seem at all interested in seeing me succeed.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2011.

I have applied through my school's career site, and got an email asking me to participate in the one time interview process, along with a bunch of other candidates.
    First all of us took an "intelligence test" something similar to SAT/GRE. Then we had three consecutive one on one interviews. First one was a disaster, the person interviewing me has not seen my resume me before or my cover letter, and did not understand my career objectives. He kept saying that McKinsey doen't do that, etc. I was surprised then why did they even call me back? I knew they had a branch which did what I was interested in. The man was annoyed so he gave me one of the most stupid brain teasers, I had no idea how to solve: something with a kid that is blond, he's father is 40, how old is the younger sister. Next two interviews were much more normal, some behavioral questions on analysis and leadership and a market type case study-how would you estimate the total market size of ex, etc.
    I was negatively impressed by the very rude behavior of the first interviewer, and by the fact that they knew I was not a fit in the first place based on my interests.

Interview Questions
    • A brain teaser, that had nothing to do with mathematics. I don't remember the details, and I don't think there was any correct answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2011.

I was an APD candidate and took a 26 question multiple choice test. Then there were breakout sessions with 4 other candidates and a current consultant to work through cases as the case interview was unfamiliar to many of us. It was an odd experience and our invitation for a second interview was based solely (or so they say) on our performance on the 26 multiple choice questions. The word questions were not overly complex but they involved a lot of calcuations and you are not allowed a calculator. Work on basic mental math before you interview!
    It was an odd way of being judged and the day I was informed I would not be invited for a second interview I heard an NPR piece on a former McKinsey big muck who was indicted on multiple counts of insider trading.

Interview Questions

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!