McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2014

3.9

75 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

Was a straightforward interview and application process. Standard for consulting and MBB, and human resources was active in reaching out and scheduling an interview date. Case studies were also standard sizing and fit questions.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

I was referred to McKinsey as a PhD student from a non-target school and was invited to the round one interview (IWIA). The IWIA consisted of the problem-solving test and two group cases. The second round interview consisted of two one-on-one cases.

Interview Questions
    • A frequent flyer program is concerned about the entrant of a low-cost airline into the US market. What should they do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

2nd round, standard McKinsey interview format. Felt good right after the interview. But was informed no pass. APD background, feel like the pool is very competitive. In general, the case by itself was not very difficult, but my feedback says more structure and implication is required. not sure my decline is because of performance not reach the minimal requirement or I was cut out because others out performed me.

Consultant Interview

Ghad a phone interview followed by in person interviews and a quiz. Kind of felt like taking the SATs or GREs all over again. There were 3-4 in person interviews. Most of them were "getting to know you" interviews which basically asked me to walk them thorough my resume. The other questions included things like "give an example of when you worked with someone difficult and explain how you dealt with it". The interviews also included case studies - I think looking through practice cases really helps.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

In first place you have to take a problem solving test, in order to prepare for it they offer you in their website 3 test samples, those test samples are similar in style to the real one; my advice is only to do those or not even that much, when i went to the interview a lot of people who practiced a lot where more nervous than those who did not practice as much, expect every question to be different!
    After the problem solving test you have to do two interviews, one personal and one case study. In the first one you have to be yourself and be ready to every type of questions and in the case be ready to unexpected turns.
    Finally you have the final interview with a partner with same style to the previous questions.

Interview Questions
    • in the case study when you have a really good answer, and they ask you for other possible answers, i find it difficult to quickly create another answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2011.

The interview process itself was very cumbersome for an experienced consultant. I applied, and received an email from the recruiter asking to set up an initial screening. This screening was the only information I was ever given about the position, and it was high level.
    McKinsey's interview process centers on case studies, overly so. The first "interview" that was set up was a coaching session on the McKinsey case study. This was an hour case study, with the interviewer being arrogant and even combative. After being berated, the interview ended. Following this was the "true" case study, whereas the interviewer was quite nice and helpful. I was then passed on to a third interview with someone in the Pricing practice, who was also quite helpful. This was the only person to ever really go into my experience, and it was quite high level. Another case study followed, for a total of three up to this point.
    I was told that the next phase would get more into my experience and the processes of the pricing practice, but might have some more case studies included. I had to apply and receive a McKinsey American Express in order to expense the costs of my in-person interview. The day prior to the interview I had to email and remind my recruiter I had never received an agenda for my interview.
    I show up ten minutes early for the interview, and the receptionist was quite friendly. In fact, she and I spoke for around twenty minutes because the interviewer was late. Finally, the interviewer rushes down. His first question is to go over my experience, but five minutes into this he interrupts me (I didn't even get to half of my job experience), and we go into...yet another case study. The interviewer is friendly, but a little arrogant. In one of my answers he challenged me, saying I was incorrect. When I reiterated my stance, and explained my reasoning, he argued that my assumptions were negligible, and we ended the interview as he had to rush to another interview. I still hadn't any idea about the position I was there for.
    When I had first received my agenda, there was a gap of time that I had assumed would be filled with a tour of the office. When the time came, I was told I could stay in the conference room or go to the lobby. I waited in the conference room for an hour until the next interviewer came.
    The next interviewer came in and asked me two questions, and then another case study. By this time I was annoyed that I had no more information about the position than when I started this process. I requested we leave time for questions about the position for later in the interview, and thankfully I was able to ask two questions before ending.
    My third interview asked me one behavior-type question, and then went into a sixth case study. Not to mention that the office had food catered and our conference room fronted the kitchen so there were over fifty people talking and eating outside of the room while I was being asked to calculate 35% of 15,982,450 by hand to get the answer and then divide by 87 to get yet another number that needed to be divided and then multiplied again. As well, I hadn’t eaten. I completely shut down, and in two instances told the interviewer that I could go through the process with him, but I did not have time to calculate. The interview ended, and onto a test. The test took an hour and consisted of three written cases and 26 questions. The questions required the same as the verbal cases; calculations by hand.
    As this ended, I had no want left in my being to work at McKinsey. I know this is a prestigious firm, but as an experienced consultant with over 11 years of experience, 8 of which is in program management/ consulting I was thoroughly not impressed with their process. A total of six cases, all of which require pen and paper calculations which would never occur in the real world (people would use calculators and Excel), and then a written test of three more cases is overkill. I see the value in cases (and after the first three over the phone assumed that I excelled at them), but I also see the value in interview-style techniques. Many of the people who interviewed seemed to have no interview skills and hid behind the case studies, and I as the interviewee never received the comfort level needed for the position I had applied. As well, no one I interviewed with knew where I was in the process.
    For the recruiters, if you wish to maintain the “catered toward MBA students” reputation do not appeal to experienced professionals, and if you do, tailor your hiring process to dig into their experience, what they can bring to your practice, and what they can expect at McKinsey. Focusing on whether someone can multiply numbers with a piece of paper and pen while someone is staring at them is not an indication of knowledge or skill, and if you stay with this approach you may miss out on strong consultants who will make other consulting firms stronger in the long run.

Interview Questions
    • I won't put any case questions down, but focus on market share, revenue, pricing, and being able to compute on the fly   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2011.

I was an APD candidate and took a 26 question multiple choice test. Then there were breakout sessions with 4 other candidates and a current consultant to work through cases as the case interview was unfamiliar to many of us. It was an odd experience and our invitation for a second interview was based solely (or so they say) on our performance on the 26 multiple choice questions. The word questions were not overly complex but they involved a lot of calcuations and you are not allowed a calculator. Work on basic mental math before you interview!
    It was an odd way of being judged and the day I was informed I would not be invited for a second interview I heard an NPR piece on a former McKinsey big muck who was indicted on multiple counts of insider trading.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

I took the PST test. It was very very hard. I was suprised to get a phone call back for the next round.

Interview Questions
    • They were questions related to cases in a written booklet.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2011.

The first round interview consists of a written test designed for your maths capability and analytical thinking under the tight time limit. The second half of the first round interview is a session of group training on case interview. It was very helpful for candidates with advanced science degrees.
    In the second round, there are 2 one-on-one interviews with McKinsey consultants, sometimes managers. Each half of the interview consists of a case interview and experience interview.
    The recruiters are very professional, and they make the whole interview process going smoothly for candidates. Candidates are informed clearly what to expect at each stage of the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation that your personal impact has influenced the outcome.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Very friendly staff. They tried to provide clear guidance through the process with high level of honesty.

Interview Questions
    • What do you think is the biggest problem in the economy?   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!