McKinsey & Company

Updated Oct 6, 2014

3.9

76 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Consultant Interview

I applied through other source. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied as APD; Took PST, Invited to 2nd round. The Interviewers were helpful and very happy to answer all questions.

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Consultant Interview

The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I sent in my CV and got invited to a PST test. Passed that round. The next round was a video case interview with two associates from 2 offices. Heard back the next working day that I passed and should be interviewed that week. However, did not hear from them for the next 3 months about the last round interview( I call them first and then every two weeks to check the status of the interview. They said that they didn't know when it would happen). At first, it was only 1 interview for the last round. First interviewer was half an hour late and very rushy. Few hours after that interview, I was called about the possibility of another interview three hours after that. Waited for they to call back but no sign, so I called them slightly before 3 hours was over and heard that, yes, there is an interview in less than half an hour. Honestly, I would like to be treated with a little more appreciation.

Interview Questions
    • Cost behavior   Answer Question
    • Comment on a very complex, sensitive political, economical situation happened the week before that   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Overall, it was an amazing interview process. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to join a well renowned consulting firm. You would be a bit jittered by the interview process but it will all turn out good if you are capable of getting in.

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

The interview was around my thought process. It involved two cases and an IQ test, all focused on judging my understanding of the world.
    The cases were simple enough but the pressure of 1:1 was the key element to control.
    They were looking for customization of the problem to specific client basis and a well structured layout of the case on paper: vertical and horizontal.

Consulting Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

OK, my interview with McKinsey confirmed what the middle management in Fortune 100 companies already knew . i.e. McKinsey is far removed from the reality of business. They are generally capable of convincing gullible Sr. Management on a strategy but those strategies are rarely implemented. That's the reason why boutique agencies are becoming very popular.

When I started interviewing I was given an impression that McKinsey is putting lot of emphasis on implementation of its strategies that's why a bug push to hire experienced managers from the industry. So now when I go to interview what they do - they make me interview with a guy who hardly has any real world experience who comes up with a ill defined business case. This interviewer probably trained on a perfect way of handling case interviews, had no real clues on how situations like what he described are handled in the successful and real companies. It was clear he was looking to get to a solution for the case that he was familiar with rather than look into areas that are beyond his comfort level. I gave him a good framework of how similar situations I have handled in my successful experience with Fortune 100 companies, which clearly he could not understand. I dont think its his fault, he clearly joined McKinsey straight from college 2-3 years ago with no industry experience. Its the fault of the system that Mckinsey created. If they continue like this, I am sure many more boutique and specialized agencies will grab business away from McKinsey.

I think more to save his face he gave a bad review and I was told that I need some more experience in the field that they are looking for. This is coming from a guy with no industry experience and 2 years in McKinsey to someone with 10+ years of successful career progression in two large well known organizations. When the HR told me that they would like to speak with me again in a year, I should have said don't waste my time anymore, I missed that opportunity. Buy I say that now, Mckinsey, thanks but no thanks....

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

should focus on the case that MCK send to you.

Not like the ones in cases in point

Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

I applied online after attending an information session for advanced degree candidates at my university. They invited almost everyone to the initial assessment (1st round), which is a written multiple choice test and group cases. The test is supposed to be what matters and the group cases are more of a preparation for the later rounds. The test is similar to the sample on their website. I got an email a few days later saying that I didn't make it.

Interview Questions
    • Written test similar to the sample on their website.   Answer Question
    • Interviewer-driven group cases (see case example on their website).   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

This was the first round interview in Mckinsey. It was a 60 min exam followed by 2 rounds of group case workshop with 2 different consultants. They claimed that the only thing the matters is your exam result, not your performance during the case workshop.

Consultant Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

Entire process was efficient and professional, although very impersonal. One interview went smoothly, the other not so. I had a hard time establishing a rapport with the second interviewer, and frankly, his 'case' wasn't presented clearly.

Interview Questions
    • Hotel receives a decent amount of reservations via their online website. They are considering opening the site to other hotels, travel providers. What should they do?   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Beijing, Beijing (China)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2011.

I did the PST and only finished two cases, guessed the third, pass on to the second round. The group break out was more fun and more relaxed. Although they say it's non-evaluative but do your best as they do take notes of each person.

Interview Questions
    • some math calculations in the PST and even the first part on understanding the information of each case. Also lots of graphs and tables.   Answer Question