McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
74 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Overall, it was an amazing interview process. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to join a well renowned consulting firm. You would be a bit jittered by the interview process but it will all turn out good if you are capable of getting in.

Shanghai, Shanghai (China)

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2008.

Interview Details – Company came to my business school for campus recruiting for summer associates. The interviews were arranged starting at 8am at hotel in NY (all travel and accommodation expenses were paid for). I did roughly 4-5 interviews back to back and they did some elimination around lunch time. The interviews were all case interviews that the managers were working on themselves.

I remember the first one was about telecom operator in Japan facing a low-cost competitor. You had to propose what kind of issues were important, what kind of analyses had to be done, and path to daylight going forward. Very open-ended. There was a behaviorial interview where the interviewer became obnoxious asking why you could work for the firm, what kind of accomplishments you've had, etc.

Interviewers were very professional and international. Quite exhausted at the end of the day.

Interview Question – We hire the best people, why should we hire you?   View Answers (2)

Reason for Declining – Didn't like the location and on second thought, didn't like finance that much.

Consultant

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2011.

Interview Details – Long

Interview Question – Case studies   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – should focus on the case that MCK send to you.

Not like the ones in cases in point

Interview Question – Have you ever been involved in team work   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

Interview Details – The interview was around my thought process. It involved two cases and an IQ test, all focused on judging my understanding of the world.
The cases were simple enough but the pressure of 1:1 was the key element to control.
They were looking for customization of the problem to specific client basis and a well structured layout of the case on paper: vertical and horizontal.

Interview Question – What else?   View Answer

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online after attending an information session for advanced degree candidates at my university. They invited almost everyone to the initial assessment (1st round), which is a written multiple choice test and group cases. The test is supposed to be what matters and the group cases are more of a preparation for the later rounds. The test is similar to the sample on their website. I got an email a few days later saying that I didn't make it.

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2011.

Interview Details – After I appliced for McKinsey Insight Program, although I didn't get in, I got an early interview chance for full-time consultant positioin. The very first test was verbal/numerical reasoning sort of questions, really tight on time. I prepared by studying some GMAT questions. I didn't do well, but good enough to pass. The most important thing is to finish making your choices rather than leaving anything blank.
Starting from next round it was 1:1 interviews about some behavioral and case questions. I fumbled here because I didn't show them that I had a clear structure, which is extremely crucial. You don't have to have really creative ideas or any insightful thinkings, but at least, show them that you have a clear structure in your mind, acturally on the paper too!!!
I failed here. Didn't go to the final office round.

Very Difficult Interview

Consultant

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2009.

Interview Details – Great experience overall, although intense. Myself and ~20 others were taken to Chicago, put up in a hotel, and had a whole day of interviews. I had two interviews with two different people. One was to solve a problem of a hospital taking too long to treat its heart attack patients. The other interview centered around how I would make a car company more profitable. I was given a problem statement right there on the fly, and had to ask the right questions and then think out loud for my solutions.

Interview Questions

• How would you solve a hospital's problem of taking too long to treat heart attack patients?   Answer Question
  • How can you make this car company more profitable?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I didn't want to travel every week and live out of a suitcase.

Consultant

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2011.

Interview Details – Entire process was efficient and professional, although very impersonal. One interview went smoothly, the other not so. I had a hard time establishing a rapport with the second interviewer, and frankly, his 'case' wasn't presented clearly.

Interview Question – Hotel receives a decent amount of reservations via their online website. They are considering opening the site to other hotels, travel providers. What should they do?   Answer Question

Consultant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process is well documented, my main tip is to be prepared for VERY detailed questions about your past experience.

When you choose a story to talk about in the behavioral interview, be sure you remember every little detail, including what you said in specific discussions and meetings. You need to be able to communicate how exactly you impacted the situation.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you led a team   Answer Question