McKinsey & Company Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.9

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Geneva (Switzerland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Geneva (Switzerland)).

Interview

Everything starts with submitting your CV - or even better with participation to one of the number of events McKinsey organises for students. Everyone is very friendly and you always get a very very open feedback, which is extremely useful. If the CV is selected, you'll be invited for a morning of interviews. First is a written test with multiple choice questions (you can find a sample online on the McK website). If pass, then you have 3 interviews based on personal experience + case studies (real world cases). If pass, you receive another frank feedback followed by 2 additional interviews with office managers very similar to the previous ones. Final feedback and offer decision is given in the evening already. If negative, very thorough feedback is given - extremely helpful!

Interview Questions

• Real-world business case. You should not focus too much on the general picture, you should not go too much into details, you should relax and really think about the question. Do not be afraid of asking additional questions if you do not understand something.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Consultant Interview

Interview

Very helpful throughout the interview. Case questions were straightforward and not intended to be tricky.

Consultant Interview

Interview

2nd Round: had two interviews which consisted of fit and case interviews back to back. Be well prepared with fit interview questions. Bring good stories with enough details as they will ask them.

Interview Questions

• Specific actions I took and why in the fit interview questions   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied as APD; Took PST, Invited to 2nd round. The Interviewers were helpful and very happy to answer all questions.

Consultant Interview

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I sent in my CV and got invited to a PST test. Passed that round. The next round was a video case interview with two associates from 2 offices. Heard back the next working day that I passed and should be interviewed that week. However, did not hear from them for the next 3 months about the last round interview( I call them first and then every two weeks to check the status of the interview. They said that they didn't know when it would happen). At first, it was only 1 interview for the last round. First interviewer was half an hour late and very rushy. Few hours after that interview, I was called about the possibility of another interview three hours after that. Waited for they to call back but no sign, so I called them slightly before 3 hours was over and heard that, yes, there is an interview in less than half an hour. Honestly, I would like to be treated with a little more appreciation.

Interview Questions

• Cost behavior   Answer Question
    • Comment on a very complex, sensitive political, economical situation happened the week before that   Answer Question

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Overall, it was an amazing interview process. Would definitely recommend it to anyone who wants to join a well renowned consulting firm. You would be a bit jittered by the interview process but it will all turn out good if you are capable of getting in.

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2012.

Interview

The interview was around my thought process. It involved two cases and an IQ test, all focused on judging my understanding of the world. The cases were simple enough but the pressure of 1:1 was the key element to control. They were looking for customization of the problem to specific client basis and a well structured layout of the case on paper: vertical and horizontal.

Consulting Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview

OK, my interview with McKinsey confirmed what the middle management in Fortune 100 companies already knew . i.e. McKinsey is far removed from the reality of business. They are generally capable of convincing gullible Sr. Management on a strategy but those strategies are rarely implemented. That's the reason why boutique agencies are becoming very popular. When I started interviewing I was given an impression that McKinsey is putting lot of emphasis on implementation of its strategies that's why a bug push to hire experienced managers from the industry. So now when I go to interview what they do - they make me interview with a guy who hardly has any real world experience who comes up with a ill defined business case. This interviewer probably trained on a perfect way of handling case interviews, had no real clues on how situations like what he described are handled in the successful and real companies. It was clear he was looking to get to a solution for the case that he was familiar with rather than look into areas that are beyond his comfort level. I gave him a good framework of how similar situations I have handled in my successful experience with Fortune 100 companies, which clearly he could not understand. I dont think its his fault, he clearly joined McKinsey straight from college 2-3 years ago with no industry experience. Its the fault of the system that Mckinsey created. If they continue like this, I am sure many more boutique and specialized agencies will grab business away from McKinsey. I think more to save his face he gave a bad review and I was told that I need some more experience in the field that they are looking for. This is coming from a guy with no industry experience and 2 years in McKinsey to someone with 10+ years of successful career progression in two large well known organizations. When the HR told me that they would like to speak with me again in a year, I should have said don't waste my time anymore, I missed that opportunity. Buy I say that now, Mckinsey, thanks but no thanks....

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview

should focus on the case that MCK send to you. Not like the ones in cases in point

Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2011.

Interview

I applied online after attending an information session for advanced degree candidates at my university. They invited almost everyone to the initial assessment (1st round), which is a written multiple choice test and group cases. The test is supposed to be what matters and the group cases are more of a preparation for the later rounds. The test is similar to the sample on their website. I got an email a few days later saying that I didn't make it.

Interview Questions

• Written test similar to the sample on their website.   Answer Question
    • Interviewer-driven group cases (see case example on their website).   Answer Question