McKinsey & Company

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was extremely professional

Interview Question – What would you do in a certain situation in regards to a "slacking" co-worker.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by email to prepare for an online interview. The interview process was very simple. I was asked questions about My background and 3 genuine reasons I should be chosen for the position. I was also given the what if scenarios. I was placed on hold for 30 minutes for a response from HR. I was offered the position and accepted it immediately.

Interview Question – No one has ever asked Me during an interview to give 3 "genuine" reasons Their company should hire Me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was more than reasonable

Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2013.

Interview Details – After submitting a resume online, I was contacted by McKinsey within 24 hours to schedule an interview within a few days.
As mentioned in another interview description, the interview process here in St. Petersburg followed a "speed dating" type format; in my case there were 4 interviewees and 4 interviewers. I would estimate that we each spent approximately 10 minutes with each interviewer, each mostly focused on a slightly different topic, but nothing venturing too far outside of general interview questions (e.g., behavioral questions from one, specific experience-related questions from another, etc). Overall, I enjoyed this method of interview; it was energizing and certainly different- and the interviewers were all incredibly warm and friendly.
The day following my face-to-face interview, I was contacted to schedule testing for the following day on the company's Lotus Notes Simulator. Though I didn't have Lotus Notes experience (having always been an Outlook gal), I was assured that it wouldn't impact my ability to complete the testing. I'm not sure whether having experience specific to the program would have made the testing easier, it seemed to be set up as a fairly stressful test regardless, which was, I'm sure, a good portion of the point. I went through the testing along with two other women and we all agreed afterward that the test was difficult and stressful.
After interviewing on Monday and testing on Wednesday, I was called that Friday and offered a position.

Interview Question – How would you handle the following situation: One of the Consultants that you support calls you, very upset, because they have missed a flight because you forgot to add it to their calendar. What if you then realized that you HAD put it on their calendar?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was a very brief discussion of salary, but I didn't feel the need to negotiate as the offer was very close to what I was hoping for and the benefits package more than compensated for the rest.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – I was interviewed several times, upwards of 5. The process would have been standard if the software had worked properly

Interview Question – What was your most difficult personal failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There wasn't one, I was offered and took it.

Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2011.

Interview Details – 1st interview: I met with an HR manager. She was pleasant byt held her cards very close to the chest. I didn't know how to read her and left feeling very ambiguous about her reaction. I normally read people/situations very well, so this is notable.

24 hours later I receive a call back. I return and spend 30 minutes with an EA supervisor, another 30 minutes with a top EA with longevity and rank, and a couple other one-to-ones with EA staff. All of them extremely good interviews from my perspctive. My skills and experience were right on the money, per their outlined requirements. I really all four of the EA staff with whom I met--great dynamic.

They were supposed to select a candidate within a week. 10 days later I get called back for another interview. One more EA, which I was frustrated by. Though the meetings all went well, I felt that 6 interviews was a bit much for an EA position, especially when none of them were with the professional(s) to be supported.

According to my recruiter (which, admittedly, might bear a good deal of responsibility for this whole regrettable exercise), they were interested and needed "a few more days." And then, "a few more days."

In the end, after five weeks I was told that another candidate had been selected. I had been really excited about the prospect of working for McKinsey and had such a great rapport with the other EAs that I was really disappointed. But worse, I was very frustrated that I felt strung-along for such a long time.

Lastly, I received no feedback from McKinsey--which could be that they didn't give it to my recruiter or could be that she didn't pass it along. In the end it felt like a big waste of time and energy.

Interview Question – I don't remember the specific wording, but the HR manager asked some iteration of the classic "what are your faults" question.   View Answer

Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – They do an odd style of interviewing they called "McKinsey Speed Dating", there were 5 applicants and 5 interviewers and we were shuffled through the interviewers offices every 5-10 minutes. Strange. Didn't see, entirely productive.

It seems this place has quick turn over, you could see the current workers were very intimidated by the new line of interviewers probably wondering who was getting fired this week.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in x years?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I am pursuing a higher level degree and the recruiter explained to me how there are very little promotion opportunities for Executive Assistants beyond supervising other Executive Assistants.

Executive Assistant

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – I was being rehire so it was a simple process as i was known by the recruiters. The interview with the director was a regular interview, nothing special.

Interview Question – Don't recall any unexpected question   Answer Question

Mumbai (India)

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2008.

Interview Details – Different when I was interviewed, grammar tests, drafting skills, talking about yourself, your strengths and weaknesses

Interview Question – Nothing that I came across   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Unfortunately, I was not much of a negotiator, hence am unable to give any advice

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!