McKinsey & Company Executive Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

3 rounds, all similar "tell me a time when..." questions, but I brought a lot of notes and was generally prepared. People were very to-the-point and non-emotional. I couldn't read them at all! Turns out they loved me, but I was nervous afterwar.

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The entire process took about 2 weeks from the time I submitted my resume. They did a phone screen, and then I was brought in for an in person interview with several staff. They gave a test in Lotus Notes and a Wonderlic exam. Everyone was very friendly, and the benefits at the company sounded great. I was told the next step would be one last in person interview with another manager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Friend of mine new I was looking for a job and gave my resume to HR for a different position. When they filled that position they asked her if I was interested in the E.A. position. I said yes. A week later called me to come in for an interview. It was a speed dating style interview where 4 of the interviewees rotated every 10 minutes to a different interviewer (4 total). Lasted about an hour they said if we advance to the next step well be invited back for testing. Less than an hour after I left I was called back and I went in the following day to test. Testing was EXTREMELY easy. Everyone kept saying it was hard. Clearly they just aren't very intelligent. The testing is over spelling and grammar (high school level) and then a live test on their Lotus Notes platform which is pretty much like outlook. I have never used Lotus notes and easily navigated through it. Again, people said this part was hard and it was very easy. Left the office and they said you would hear something Friday if you were getting an offer. 10am Friday they called me and offered the job... which was expected.

Interview Questions

• Interview was extremely easy but if I had to pick something I'd say being asked "where do you see yourself 3 years from now" followed immediately by "where do you see yourself 5 years from now". The questions are so similar and it was unexpected that they would ask them back to back to I had to really think of a response without repeating what I just said.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I put my salary requirements at 45000 annually. The range for this position is 32k+ to start. I was offered $37,500.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

The initial interview was like "speed dating". I interviewed with 4 different people, 10 minutes each. I LOVED it! The 2nd interview was a computer test, as well as, a grammar/spelling test.

Interview Questions

• One question I remember was, "If your Consultant calls you because they missed their plane and say it was your fault, yelling and extremely unhappy, what should you do?"   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Interview

The hiring and interview process was extremely professional

Interview Questions

• What would you do in a certain situation in regards to a "slacking" co-worker.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Houston, TX) in March 2014.

Interview

I was initially contacted by email to prepare for an online interview. The interview process was very simple. I was asked questions about My background and 3 genuine reasons I should be chosen for the position. I was also given the what if scenarios. I was placed on hold for 30 minutes for a response from HR. I was offered the position and accepted it immediately.

Interview Questions

• No one has ever asked Me during an interview to give 3 "genuine" reasons Their company should hire Me.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Offer was more than reasonable

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Saint Petersburg, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

After submitting a resume online, I was contacted by McKinsey within 24 hours to schedule an interview within a few days. As mentioned in another interview description, the interview process here in St. Petersburg followed a "speed dating" type format; in my case there were 4 interviewees and 4 interviewers. I would estimate that we each spent approximately 10 minutes with each interviewer, each mostly focused on a slightly different topic, but nothing venturing too far outside of general interview questions (e.g., behavioral questions from one, specific experience-related questions from another, etc). Overall, I enjoyed this method of interview; it was energizing and certainly different- and the interviewers were all incredibly warm and friendly. The day following my face-to-face interview, I was contacted to schedule testing for the following day on the company's Lotus Notes Simulator. Though I didn't have Lotus Notes experience (having always been an Outlook gal), I was assured that it wouldn't impact my ability to complete the testing. I'm not sure whether having experience specific to the program would have made the testing easier, it seemed to be set up as a fairly stressful test regardless, which was, I'm sure, a good portion of the point. I went through the testing along with two other women and we all agreed afterward that the test was difficult and stressful. After interviewing on Monday and testing on Wednesday, I was called that Friday and offered a position.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle the following situation: One of the Consultants that you support calls you, very upset, because they have missed a flight because you forgot to add it to their calendar. What if you then realized that you HAD put it on their calendar?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was a very brief discussion of salary, but I didn't feel the need to negotiate as the offer was very close to what I was hoping for and the benefits package more than compensated for the rest.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Tampa, FL) in January 2013.

Interview

It was set up sort of like a "speed dating" scenario in which each person interviewing (about 4) went from one office/room to the next and were asked different sets of questions by each interviewer.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you had family in from out of town, but the person you supported needed your help by staying late to make an important deadline?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Detroit, MI).

Interview

I was interviewed several times, upwards of 5. The process would have been standard if the software had worked properly

Interview Questions

• What was your most difficult personal failure and how did you overcome it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

There wasn't one, I was offered and took it.