McKinsey & Company

Relevance Date Difficulty

Fellow Associate Interview

Fellow Associate

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – First round interview with McK in Germany. Overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience with some things to pay attention to:
1.) Do not make math mistakes, they will cost you even if you can convey that you are good at math and they were just bad luck. It's better to take an extra 5 sec than to mess up a calculation
2.) Choose your answers to the FIT questions carefully...you are expected to dazzle and shouldn't just be giving an average answers.
3.) On the case, first brainstorm and list a whole mess of ideas that come to mind, then dig deeper and explain the individual branches of your issue tree in detail.

Interview Question – The interview overall was not very difficult and everything that you would have expected.   Answer Question

Fellow Associate Interview

Fellow Associate

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2011.

Interview Details – An initial multiple-choice problem solving test (McKinsey PST is extensively covered on the internet) followed by three rounds of interviews: one in my country of residence (an AP and an Associate) and two in the hiring office (a mixture of EMs, APs, and Partners).

All interviews lasted for one hour and involved solving a case and discussing your personal experiences of leadership, team work, working under stress, etc.. The cases were all rather standard, and the interviewers were very involved and helpful in getting you to cover all aspects of the case and arrive at the right conclusions - no leaving you to wander in the dark for 20 minutes and then announcing that the time is up. Actually, I found discussing my personal experiences more of a challenge, as the interviewers required well-defined, concrete examples.

Throughout the process, the staff at all levels appeared extremely intelligent, level-headed, and fun - I am confident they would have made great colleagues.

Interview Question – Give me a concrete example of a situation when you lead a team to overcome a challenge   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Accepting the offer would mean moving out of my current industry, so eventually I decided this is not a good idea.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!