McKinsey & Company

Updated Sep 29, 2014

4.0

10 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2014.

first round consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 personal interview with a recruiter. Cases include slides/written information from which you have to obtain relevant parts to answer the case questions. Some hard numbers to do calculations (i.e. not easy rounded ones) with, so be prepared for this. being able to do fast and accurate calculations is a big plus to keep the momentum going in the cases.

Interview Questions
  • all three interviews asked for an example of a team situation that went the wrong way, and what my personal influence was to steer the team into the right/succesfull direction, could not use same examples so be prepared to have 3 such examples.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2014.

Submitted my application online and was called back within a week. As this was my first application with a management consultancy firm I asked to be given enough time in between the steps, which they happily have me. There were two rounds, and two informal meet ups (once practice case, one lunch).

Interview Questions
    • What different business models can you identify in the bus transport sector?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt, Brandenburg (Germany)

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Submitted CV - invited to AC round 1 - 4 interviews with senior fellows + PST
    Round 2 - one interview with project manager focusing on observed weaknesses in round 1
    Round 3 - interview with partner - usually just signing contract

Interview Questions
    • Standard case related questions + behavioral questions based on their 4 underpinning values   Answer Question

Other offer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frankfurt, Brandenburg (Germany)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied with CV only - McKinsey got back to me very quickly - I was then invited to an assessment day on which it was also decided who would get a job. The interview procedure is exactly as described on

Interview Questions
    • PST is difficult, especially if the language your taking the test in, is not your first. Besides that no unexpected questions per se, case studies were straight forward.   Answer Question

3 rounds for the fellowship program
    First was resume screening
    Second was problem solving test; practice from 3 examples on mckinsey's website is enough just to know and be familiar with the structure. Prepare speed math. Wear your watch!
    Third was personal and case interview in 40 minutes; relates to consultants and their jobs

Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2012.

The interview process consists of two blocks of three interviews. These interviews are 1 on 1 with a McKinsey consultant. In the first part of the interview the consultant will first ask you to describe a situation in which you typically demonstrated one of the 4 areas Leadership, Problem Solving, Personal Impact and Achieving. The interviewer will then ask about details of the situation and how you reacted, what you did etc. The second part of the interview is a case, which the consultant gives you a couple of infos about and you are expected to solve, by developing a structure, asking questions and finally elaborating a solution together with the interviewer. Finally you get to ask the consultant any questions you like. In between the first three interviews and the lunch break you solve McKinsey's "Problem Solving Test", a written multiple choice test of 45 minutes, which gives you mini cases and charts and graphs to go with them and asks you questions on these charts.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you demonstrated leadership of a team of people?   Answer Question
    • You are consulting for a transport company, which has never been profitable, please figure out reasons for the lack of profits and potential solutions to the problem.   Answer Question

Fellow Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

The first round consisted of three interviews; Two case interviews with consultants and one interview with a recruiter. The business cases used in the interviews ar slightly different than the 'usual' practice cases. They mix up case categories so that the outcome of the case MUST be based on your own logical reasoning during the interview.

For the interview with the recruiter, be sure to use examples that clearly exemplify a situation here you achieved something or had a personal conflict. The examples should be specified into the exact reasoning and interactions you had during the situation. Don't just give them a story they like to hear; keep it personal.

Interview Questions
    • PEI: What is the accomplishment you are most proud of in your life ?   View Answer

Fellow Interview

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

At first I had to be evaluated on a standard test. A month or so after completing the test I received an email message telling that I had passed the test and that I had to do a few interviews/tests.
    Then followed a barrage of 5 interviews/tests were I had to answer a few questions about myself and my track record so far and also had to solve a few case studies.

After this was over I was finally told that I had passed the interviews/tests and I had an offer.

Interview Questions
    This really doesn't apply to me as of yet. But I think things will flow easily.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Getting the interview is quite difficult since so many people apply. Use your network! Get introduced to a consultant through a mutual acquaintance. Most consultants will have time for a coffee at some point. Remember this is not an interview. Even though you mind have a list of questions, do not just ask them like its a press conference. Let them flow from natural conversation and get to know the person - and perhaps even more important - allow them to get to know you. This will make it much more likely for them to introduce you to recruiting.

As for the interviews themselves, there are two phases. In the first, you will meet 2nd and 3rd tier consultants. In the final interview, you will meet with partners. Structure is the same: part getting to know you, part you getting to know your interviewer, part business cases. Prepare those cases well, especially how to structure a problem. Have some interesting stories to tell about your live. Never just tell them you have leadership experience, but let them infer it from a (true!) story where you got faced with a challenge and you inpired other people to solve it with you.

Interview Questions
    • How much revenue does a gas station make in a year?
      (Asked to draw a profit curve with all companies gas stations on the x axis, ordered from most profitable to least)
      How would you increase overall profits?
        View Answer
    • Salmond farms in Norway. Identify costs, and draw the lifecycle curve for fish.   View Answer
    Standard package for consultants. Good perks and benefits.

Fellow Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

The interview process consisted of a problem solving test and a round of 2 interviews. If you succeeded in the first round, you would pass to a second one, where you would have 2 more interviews. The problem solving test was, in my opinion, very long. I would recommend you to be prepared for this and to practice so that your mind is ready at the time.

In terms of the interview, I would recommend you to be prepared for very general questions, and be able to make an estimation through logical thinking. I don't think it is possible to prepare much for these type of questions. My advice would be to be familiarized with business terms and problems and, when the question arrives, be prepared to apply it in a creative manner. It is also important that you have a framework when you answer your questions, and that you start from there. For the case I would also recommend you to take your time and not rush to answer. I think that the worst thing you can do is say an absurd thing.

Each interview followed the same structure: personal background - you have to provide a situation in which you have demonstrated leadership skills and drive achievement -, case, questions.