McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Frankfurt, Brandenburg (Germany)

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Submitted CV - invited to AC round 1 - 4 interviews with senior fellows + PST
Round 2 - one interview with project manager focusing on observed weaknesses in round 1
Round 3 - interview with partner - usually just signing contract

Interview Question – Standard case related questions + behavioral questions based on their 4 underpinning values   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Other offer

Frankfurt, Brandenburg (Germany)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – I applied with CV only - McKinsey got back to me very quickly - I was then invited to an assessment day on which it was also decided who would get a job. The interview procedure is exactly as described on

Interview Question – PST is difficult, especially if the language your taking the test in, is not your first. Besides that no unexpected questions per se, case studies were straight forward.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – 3 rounds for the fellowship program
First was resume screening
Second was problem solving test; practice from 3 examples on mckinsey's website is enough just to know and be familiar with the structure. Prepare speed math. Wear your watch!
Third was personal and case interview in 40 minutes; relates to consultants and their jobs

Interview Question – What is your past experience abt leadership   Answer Question

Zürich (Switzerland)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2012.

Interview Details – The interview process consists of two blocks of three interviews. These interviews are 1 on 1 with a McKinsey consultant. In the first part of the interview the consultant will first ask you to describe a situation in which you typically demonstrated one of the 4 areas Leadership, Problem Solving, Personal Impact and Achieving. The interviewer will then ask about details of the situation and how you reacted, what you did etc. The second part of the interview is a case, which the consultant gives you a couple of infos about and you are expected to solve, by developing a structure, asking questions and finally elaborating a solution together with the interviewer. Finally you get to ask the consultant any questions you like. In between the first three interviews and the lunch break you solve McKinsey's "Problem Solving Test", a written multiple choice test of 45 minutes, which gives you mini cases and charts and graphs to go with them and asks you questions on these charts.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation in which you demonstrated leadership of a team of people?   Answer Question
  • You are consulting for a transport company, which has never been profitable, please figure out reasons for the lack of profits and potential solutions to the problem.   Answer Question

Fellow

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 3 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

Interview Details – At first I had to be evaluated on a standard test. A month or so after completing the test I received an email message telling that I had passed the test and that I had to do a few interviews/tests.
Then followed a barrage of 5 interviews/tests were I had to answer a few questions about myself and my track record so far and also had to solve a few case studies.

After this was over I was finally told that I had passed the interviews/tests and I had an offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – This really doesn't apply to me as of yet. But I think things will flow easily.

Fellow

The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2011.

Interview Details – The first round consisted of three interviews; Two case interviews with consultants and one interview with a recruiter. The business cases used in the interviews ar slightly different than the 'usual' practice cases. They mix up case categories so that the outcome of the case MUST be based on your own logical reasoning during the interview.

For the interview with the recruiter, be sure to use examples that clearly exemplify a situation here you achieved something or had a personal conflict. The examples should be specified into the exact reasoning and interactions you had during the situation. Don't just give them a story they like to hear; keep it personal.

Interview Question – PEI: What is the accomplishment you are most proud of in your life ?   View Answer

Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – Getting the interview is quite difficult since so many people apply. Use your network! Get introduced to a consultant through a mutual acquaintance. Most consultants will have time for a coffee at some point. Remember this is not an interview. Even though you mind have a list of questions, do not just ask them like its a press conference. Let them flow from natural conversation and get to know the person - and perhaps even more important - allow them to get to know you. This will make it much more likely for them to introduce you to recruiting.

As for the interviews themselves, there are two phases. In the first, you will meet 2nd and 3rd tier consultants. In the final interview, you will meet with partners. Structure is the same: part getting to know you, part you getting to know your interviewer, part business cases. Prepare those cases well, especially how to structure a problem. Have some interesting stories to tell about your live. Never just tell them you have leadership experience, but let them infer it from a (true!) story where you got faced with a challenge and you inpired other people to solve it with you.

Interview Questions

• How much revenue does a gas station make in a year?
    (Asked to draw a profit curve with all companies gas stations on the x axis, ordered from most profitable to least)
    How would you increase overall profits?
      View Answer
  • Salmond farms in Norway. Identify costs, and draw the lifecycle curve for fish.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Standard package for consultants. Good perks and benefits.

Very Difficult Interview

Fellow

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process consisted of a problem solving test and a round of 2 interviews. If you succeeded in the first round, you would pass to a second one, where you would have 2 more interviews. The problem solving test was, in my opinion, very long. I would recommend you to be prepared for this and to practice so that your mind is ready at the time.

In terms of the interview, I would recommend you to be prepared for very general questions, and be able to make an estimation through logical thinking. I don't think it is possible to prepare much for these type of questions. My advice would be to be familiarized with business terms and problems and, when the question arrives, be prepared to apply it in a creative manner. It is also important that you have a framework when you answer your questions, and that you start from there. For the case I would also recommend you to take your time and not rush to answer. I think that the worst thing you can do is say an absurd thing.

Each interview followed the same structure: personal background - you have to provide a situation in which you have demonstrated leadership skills and drive achievement -, case, questions.

Interview Question – Why could the sales of a product be decreasing?   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!