McKinsey & Company Interview Questions in Germany

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

3.9

Senior Consultant Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Hamburg (Germany)).

Interview

Interview was broken down into 3 parts. Each part consisted of a 1 hour interview with a consultant of varying level and experience which included a brief introduction, then questions regarding experience and examples highlighting skill sets, finished off with a case study.
    Also a 1 hour written test was required to be completed in between the interviews.

In the end, Mckinsey does a great job in handing out preparatory material to study before going to the interview, but I was surprised how much the consultants run the interviews by the book and follow some guidelines. Very robotic, and little room for any personal creativity. I would expect more from a world class consulting company.

I was rejected, which I expected at the end of the interview but I was disapointed with how they communicated the feedback. It was very unprofessional and made in hast. I wasted a whole day of my time to go to the interview, at the very least they can take a few minutes to formulate concrete and constructive feedback. You either fit the mold, answer all the case studies 100% correctly, that means all the math too, or your out. A funny thing too, they mentioned that I did not demonstrate anything about lean management in the interview, but never once did they just simply ask me to give them an example of when I used lean management, or just say please apply lean mangement to solving the case study problem. They are so caught up in following their guidelines like robots, they forgot to be humans. I'm really glad I didn't get an offer and end up being a mckinsey zombie.

Interview Questions

• One question focused on improving the overall cost of equipment and how you would go about doing that.   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

3 Gespräche: Aufbau jeweils: erst CV-Teil erzählen, Personal Fit mit eigener vorher vorbereiteter Geschichte aus dem CV zu Leadership, Situation in der man jemand überzeigt hat, Situation zur Verfolgung eines persönlichen Ziels, detailierte Nachfragen dazu. Case Interview mit Rechnen
    Atmosphäre angenehm und nett. Man braucht nicht nervös sein. Am Ende Zeit um selbst Fragen zu stellen

Werkstudent Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Düsseldorf (Germany)) in January 2015.

Interview

Zunächst verspätete sich die Personalerin um rund zehn Minuten.
    Themen wie persönliche Fähigkeiten sowie Besonderheiten der Stelle wurden besprochen.
    Ein relativ normales Gespräch fand am Haupsitz des Unternehmens statt.
    Überrascht war ich, da ich in einem Unternehmen mit Englisch als Geschäftssprache der Berater ebenfalls ein Gespräch in englischer Sprache erwartet hätte.
    Das Unternehmen verschickt, entgegen der eigenen Aussage keinerlei Stati der Bewerbung.

Die nun getätigte Absage, zumindest in Betracht der Absagegründe halte ich für fiktiv, denn die Stelle wurde erneut annonciert, somit scheint das Unternehmen niemanden eingestellt zu haben.

Senior Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Munich, Bayern (Germany)) in October 2014.

Interview

Entered the interview process with BTO via one of their workshop events. Very nice evening dinner and get to know before the interview day. Two one hour interview in the morning: introduction, 20min personal experience, 20min business case. No surprises here. Advanced to the afternoon with overall positive feedback. Two more interview of the same structure, a bit tougher style of asking. In principle I had a good feeling, but was not good enough unfortunately.

Interview Questions

• How would working at McKinsey affect your marriage?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I was referred through a recruiter I had met at a McKinsey event. This made setting up the interview quite easy, and they were very good about working with my schedule. The interviews were exactly as expected and advertised--deep-delve personal questions, plus business cases. It seemed like my rejection was more due to a cultural fit with the office than anything else. They got back to me the same day as my interviews with feedback (although they didn't have much and it wasn't very helpful).

Fellow Associate Interview

Interview

First round interview with McK in Germany. Overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience with some things to pay attention to:
    1.) Do not make math mistakes, they will cost you even if you can convey that you are good at math and they were just bad luck. It's better to take an extra 5 sec than to mess up a calculation
    2.) Choose your answers to the FIT questions carefully...you are expected to dazzle and shouldn't just be giving an average answers.
    3.) On the case, first brainstorm and list a whole mess of ideas that come to mind, then dig deeper and explain the individual branches of your issue tree in detail.

Interview Questions

• The interview overall was not very difficult and everything that you would have expected.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Berlin (Germany)).

Interview

Die erste Antwort nach meiner Online-Bewerbung traf sehr schnell ein: 2 Tage; wurde zum PST in weiteren 4 Tagen eingeladen. Erhielt die Antwort nach einer Stunde nebst Einladung zu einem ersten Case-Interview. Wurde nach 3 Tagen darüber informiert, dass ich nicht deren Kriterien entsprach und ich mich nach 18 Monaten erneut bewerben könnte.

First response after applying online was very fast - 2 days; was invited to the PST in another 4 days. Received the answer in an hour and the invitation for the first case interview. Was informed after 3 days that I didn't match their criteria and that I can re-apply after 18 months.

Interview Questions

• Standardfragen zum Fall und zu Verhaltensweisen. Die meisten bezogen sich auf die Teamarbeit und multikulturelle Probleme sowie Konfliktsituationen.   Standard questions related to the case and behavioral questions - mostly related to teamwork, multicultural and conflict issues .   Answer Question

Forschungsassistent Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)).

Interview

Lebenslauf eingereicht - Einladung zur 1. Runde Assessment-Center - vier Bewerbungsgespräche mit Senior Fellows und PST

2. Runde - ein Interview mit dem Projektmanager mit Fokus auf den festgestellten Schwächen aus Runde 1

3. Runde - Interview mit Teilhaber - im Allgemeinen nur zur Unterzeichnung des Vertrags

Submitted CV - invited to AC round 1 - 4 interviews with senior fellows + PST
    Round 2 - one interview with project manager focusing on observed weaknesses in round 1
    Round 3 - interview with partner - usually just signing contract

Interview Questions

• Die üblichen fallbezogenen Fragen und Verhaltensfragen, basierend auf ihren vier Grundwerten.   Standard case related questions + behavioral questions based on their 4 underpinning values   Answer Question

Anderes Angebot

Forschungsassistent Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Frankfurt (Oder) (Germany)).

Interview

Ich bewarb mich nur mit Lebenslauf - McKinsey hat sich gleich mit mir in Kontakt gesetzt - ich wurde dann zu einem Assessment-Tag eingeladet, an dem es beschlossen würde, wer den Job bekommen würde. Der Interviewverlauf ist genau wie beschrieben

I applied with CV only - McKinsey got back to me very quickly - I was then invited to an assessment day on which it was also decided who would get a job. The interview procedure is exactly as described on

Interview Questions

• Die Präsentationinterview ist schwierig, besonders wenn du in einer Sprache interviewt wirst, die nicht deine Muttersprache ist. Es gab keine unerwarteten Fragen an sich und Fallstudien waren unkompliziert.   PST is difficult, especially if the language your taking the test in, is not your first. Besides that no unexpected questions per se, case studies were straight forward.   Answer Question

Assistant Interview

(Translated from English)

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Düsseldorf (Germany)).

Interview

Das Bewerbungsgespräch wurde per Telefon geführt. Ich wurde von einem ehemaligen Mitarbeiter empfohlen. Bei der Stelle handelte es sich um eine Vertretung für die Sommer Zeit. Sie waren bereit, für diesen Job Werder weniger jeden zu nehmen, der eine Empfehlung hatte. Die Formalitäten wurden erst am ersten Arbeitstag erledigt, daher gab es zunächst Zweifel über die vertraglichen Bedingungen, beispielsweise bezüglich der Erstattung von Fahrtkosten zum Arbeitsplatz.

The interview was done over the telephone. I was referred by a former employee. This was a temporary job as summer vacation replacement. For that job they were more or less willing to accept whoever came recommended. Paperwork was only done on the first working day. This left some ambiguities about the contract terms, for example with regard to reimbursement of travel expenses to and from work.

Interview Questions

• Haben Sie einen Führerschein?   Do you have a driving license?   Answer Question