McKinsey & Company Implementation Coach Interview Questions

Updated Jun 17, 2015

4.0

Implementation Coach Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. Overall process is HR Screen --> Practice Phone Case --> Actual Phone Case --> In Person Round 1 --> In Person Day 2. After the initial screener to make sure you're a fit for the position and vice versa, I was scheduled for the first round of phone interviews. A quick aside, I was told that the interview process is the same exact process as the standard Consulting process, so this is probably all one in the same. Anyway, the first step was a phone case interview with a McK alum that also comes with 1 on 1 practice phoner if you can schedule it before the actual interview - I highly recommend this as it was very helpful to get a feel for the questions that will be asked, the style in which they will be asked, and an actual person to talk to you about the responses that are expected. Both the practice and actual cases were pretty standard to what you can find in the online resources...not terribly difficult, a mix of 4 or so questions with 3 qualitative and 1 math (there may also be small math parts mixed into the qual sections, but nothing major). All the qualitative questions were pretty easy and answered at a high level...ways to reduce costs, increase revenue, target specific markets, risk mgmt, etc. Math question was pretty easy...if they ask you to estimate any numbers yourself (population sizes, total revenues, etc), try to make them easy round numbers to work with. Otherwise the math is high school level in difficulty, just be prepared to clearly walk your interviewer through your logic. The in person days are conducted once per month and are full days with a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews with several consultants throughout. Obviously the big downside to this whole process is it's longevity...especially for those of us who are currently working full time, making time to fit in all of these rounds is not easy. One last point to make...call me crazy or sour grapes if you want, but I got the impression that it's much more difficult to land a McK gig without a top 20 MBA behind your name. Even with a well known and respected b-school MBA, I feel like I was expected to almost be overqualified if I expected to get a 2nd look without having a Wharton or Stanford alum status. I may be completely wrong, but my word to the wise would be to prepare two-fold if you're in the same boat.

Interview Questions

• Referring to a particular industry and client, determine the potential market size and the best method to distribute their products.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for McKinsey & Company

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process included a case interview coaching session as well as a case interview, and problem solving interview. I would recommend making yourself available for the case coaching session as it gives your some necessary shortcuts to answer questions in an efficient manner.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL) in June 2014.

Interview

I managed to get an interview with McKinsey through an alumni. I was very fortunate since McKinsey does not recruit at my school. However, since I did not want to pursue a career in consulting, I never practiced how to interview for a consulting role (ie. case study interviews). I ended up having to cram this knowledge in a week for my phone case interview and a week for my on-site interview. Process started with a call with the recruiter. Everything was very courteous, professional and on a timely manner. After my call with the recruiter, I was set up for a practice phone case interview with a former associate from McKinsey. There I was able to mess up and received feedback on how to improve, Then I had my real phone case interview a few days later. It was pretty straight forward (read up on McKinsey's interview format, since it's a bit different than other firms). I passed that and was invited to go to Chicago for two case interviews and two behavioral interviews. I flew to Chicago, where McKinsey put my in a nice hotel right by the office. They also had me set up a credit card so I can charge food and taxi rides on, which was pretty cool. Next day was my interviews, which again was the same format. 30 minutes behavior interview and 30 minute case interview with one interviewer. Then the same for the second interviewer. I messed up on the quant for my second interviewer (see below.) After that, I had to do my Problem Solving Test (PST), which was brutal. As far as I know and heard, everyone struggles with the PST. Unfortunately, I was not invited back for my final on-site interview (with the directors and partners). They were quick to provide feedback (mine recruiter actually was late by a few days, but still within a week). Feedback was that I had solid stories to tell on my behavior interviews but was weak on quant. Still, due to their professionalism and quick response, I had a positive experience interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Questions

• Case study: Where I was to determine how much one factory needed to produce X to have the equivalent cost to tons produced ratio as another factory. Graph was given of costs (fixed and variable) vs tons produced of both factories.   1 Answer

Implementation Coach Interview

Interview

about a total of 5 interviews. 3 phone, 1 in person (in chicago), and 1 final round in person in San Francisco.

Interview Questions

• the final case questions were a little tougher. however. I must say that mckinsey really does try to help you succeed (they help you practice etc...)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Diego, CA) in September 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter on August 16th, 2013, who had screened my resume in advance of a hiring conference. The recruiter scheduled a 30 minute interview with me for the hiring conference, conducted on August 23rd, 2013. At this point, I had one week to learn as much as I could about every company that requested an interview with me. The interview seemed to go well; it was my first interview of the day and my first interview since 1995. I then received an e-mail requesting a follow up phone conversation for August 29th, 2013. This was approximately an eight minute conversation covering the entire hiring process. Following the phone conversation, I received an e-mail with four links that were meant to prepare me for the case interviews. I was scheduled a mentoring session, which was a non-evaluated phone case coaching with immediate feedback. My case coaching was September 16, 2013. I was told to that I should focus on taking a full minute to answer each question, that while my answers were good, I was doing myself a disservice by immediately answering. I was also cautioned on other common mistakes candidates make, specifically, answer the question that is being asked, don't read into the questions. At the same time my mentoring session was scheduled, my evaluated phone case interviews was scheduled, which was September 24, 2013; giving me another week to practice on my own. For practice, I worked through the problem solving tests, the case studies on the McKinsey & Company webpage, and the videos on the McKinsey & Company webpage. I then watched several hours of you tube videos giving pointers on how to conduct case interviews. My recommendation, if you are only interviewing with McKinsey & Company, do not branch out and study other case interview processes. McKinsey & Company's case interview is very structured, and you do not need to answer a question until it is asked. I think looking back, if I had only relied on the preparation that McKinsey & Company provided me, I would have done much better. Second, if you can't hear your case interviewer on the phone, and you miss several key words, let them know! I summarized what I heard, but I seemed to miss a key piece of information, which had to be clarified for me. I think in hindsight, it would have been better to say, I am having trouble hearing you, and would you please repeat what you have just said. Third, answer ONLY the question you are asked. If you start thinking through (talking about) a process that does not directly impact the problem statement, you will seem like you do not understand the problem. This is most likely why McKinsey & Company recommends you circle the actual problem statement and make sure that each answer in your interview refers back to the actual problem statement. I was then scheduled for my case interview feedback for September 27th, 2013. Unfortunately, at this point I was informed that I would not be moving along the interview process with McKinsey & Company. I was asked if I would like specific feedback, and I eagerly agreed. The feedback is provided in my recommendations above. I asked if there was a minimum wait time before I could re-apply, and I was told McKinsey & Company recommended waiting 18-months. Additionally, during that time, I was encouraged to continue to grow. Everyone I met and spoke with at McKinsey & Company was OUTSTANDING. They were cheerful, enthusiastic, upbeat, well spoken, amazing people. Truly this company would be a wonderful place to have a career. Their interview process is widely regarded as the most difficult in the country for several years running. While my past experience afforded me the opportunity to interview with McKinsey & Company, not being able to jump right into an evaluated case study on the phone seemed to be an immediate disqualifying factor. The interesting irony here is that before McKinsey & Company contacted me and requested an interview, I had never thought about management consulting. Now, I think this could be an amazing career that is well suited to my personality and proven track record. So, while I was not afforded the opportunity to move on and actually meet one of the McKinsey & Company teams, who could ultimately make the decision to hire me, I have now applied to three other management consulting firms. I am hopeful, that this process has prepared me better for what lies ahead.

Interview Questions

• The questions were actually incredibly easy. The most difficult part was believing that they only wanted the answer to what they were asking.   1 Answer

Implementation Coach Interview

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Extremely complex and elongated interview process. Consisted of 2 phone interviews, 6 in-person interviews (across multiple locations), multiple rounds of feedback, and a problem solving test (akin to the GMAT). The interviews were split between case studies and personal experience, with equal importance on each segment.

Interview Questions

• There are some challenging case studies during the interview process.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No need to negotiate - compensation & benefits were very good.

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brussels (Belgium)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Brussels (Belgium)) in December 2014.

Interview

* 1st Round interviews (3x 1hr 1:1-interview) Per interview: - 20min PEI - 40min case (interviewer-led style case/ 4 questions like the examples on the McK website) * 2nd/Final Round interviews Preparation: The preparation leading up to the first round of interviews was of an incredible level. They had me call McKinsey consultants from all over the world to help me prepare the case interview, to tell me about the intended position, to answer all of my questions, ...