McKinsey & Company

Average Difficulty
19 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Intern

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – - Apply via on-line application/on-campus application
- Received interview invitation and did interview in office
- Had two 1-1 interview in the morning and knew the result half an hour after an interview
- Interview lasted about 45 minutes each, including 'case' for 30 minutes and 'fit questions' for 15 minutes.
- If pass the first round, the second round will take place in the afternoon and the result will be known on the same day.

Interview Question – Nothing went beyond basic question   Answer Question

Boston, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2010.

Interview Details – The written exam is hard, especially under time pressure. After that, two group interviews which helped us to go through the whole cases.

Interview Question – Design stops for airplane   View Answer

Intern

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – 2 round interviews + timed questionnaire

Interview Question – What was the time when you had to pass through your opinion against someone who thought differently than you?   Answer Question

Intern

I applied through a staffing agency and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Start with general CV questions. 3 essential skills. a simple case study.

Interview Question – what you don't like about the firm?   Answer Question

Munich (Germany)

I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2012.

Interview Details – Applied for internship in Risk Practice after company event.
One day, 8 hours:
- Problem Solving test + wait
- Interview junior partner + wait -> Feedback: "We continue"
- Interview partner
- Interview project leader

Interview Question – How much money would Deutsche Telekom loose if all German landlines would collapse?   View Answer

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – The recruitment process consisted of a reasoning test and a series of interviews with partners.
The multiple-choice test reflects some of the work that consultants do and thus is structured around several imaginary assignments or consulting projects. For each assignment, the candidate has to answer several questions that follow the process of examining and analyzing a situation presented, going from more general to specific. Questions test several skills, such as quick and precise calculations, data extraction and interpretation, logical inference, reading and comrehension.

The interviews were partner-led for me: first, there were questions about my background and experiences, followed by a case exercise. The partners presented a situation that they had to deal with and then ask questions that require the intervieweeto identify possible causes, information required to solve the problem, do basic calculations, etc. The biggest challenge with the interviews is the time pressure: the interviewee has only maybe 30 seconds to answer each question before the partner goes to the next one. Also, the company requires the answers to be structured in a very clear and specific way. Therefore my advice to anyone preparing for an interview would be to dedicate at least 15-20 hours to serious preparation using consulting interview guides, books, and other material, because the proper structure that McKinsey expects from your answers must come out automatically, without you thinking.

Interview Question – The business case was the most difficult part   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Prepare to McKinsey PST, control your anxiety and manage time

Interview Question – PST was difficult   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Moscow (Russia)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2012.

Interview Details – Applied to McKinsey offices throughout the whole Europe. Was invited by the Moscow's office to do the first round assessment center. Since I couldn't make it to Moscow, got it rescheduled in Brussels, which was the closest office in my case. In overall, extremely quick, smooth and efficient communication as well as welcoming attitude from both offices.

Interview Question – Did the assessment test and all in all found it challenging especially in terms of time management. The toughest part was in the fact that next to my cubicle there was a consultant having a very long phone conversation, which really made it tough to concentrate.   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – I wrote a test and 2 rounds of interviews, each consisting of 2 back-to-back interviews of 45 minutes. I wrote the test at university, the 1st round of interviews was at a hotel, and the final round was held at their offices. The test was MCQ and the time limit made it so difficult.

Interview Question – The test was the most difficult test I've written in my life.   Answer Question

Intern

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2013.

Interview Details – 3 Interviews and Problem Solving Test. Solving Cases is more important than the Problem Solving Test, it one only helps if case performance was intermediate.
Interview process very transparent and good feedback. Interview atmosphere was very good and enjoyable, no stress situations.

Interview Question – No unexpected questions, everything was like described here on this website and in the official description.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!