McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Mar 21, 2015
Updated Mar 21, 2015

3.9

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Went through 2 rounds of interviews - 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the final round. All interviews were a combination of a case and personal experience/fit. Very important to have practiced case interviews and prepare stories about your past experience that highlight leadership, teamwork, etc.

McKinsey Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2015.

Not very clear communication regarding interview times. Had 2 interviews and then was called by the recruiter and told the client went in a different direction and the position was not longer available. Not sure if I was let down easy or not. I put in a lot of effort going over cases and learning the McKinsey way to have it end so suddenly.

Interview Questions
    • The interview asked questions about a case involving a company that processes Chickens. The problem was a weighted average problem.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Associate Interview

Three Rounds of interviews:
    1st Round - test
    2nd Round - 2 case interviews + fit questions
    3rd Round - 3 case interviews + fit questions

Read website which has extensive explanations of interview process and practice cases. Get a hold of business school case books for further practice and refinement of structured problem solving techniques. Practice doing calculations by hand, short cuts, and doing calculations in front of people.

The feedback I received was that I was energetic, genuine, and seemed comfortable. Try not to be nervous. Also have structured responses for fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tech company wants to enter the healthcare space. You have a meeting with the client next week. How would you think about structuring this meeting.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions
    • A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

3 rounds, all similar "tell me a time when..." questions, but I brought a lot of notes and was generally prepared. People were very to-the-point and non-emotional. I couldn't read them at all! Turns out they loved me, but I was nervous afterwar.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I had two 50-minute first-round interviews on campus at our career services building. The interviewers were each polite. The process is pretty formulaic. People under-prepare for the personal experience interview. The rest of the Big 3 seem less concerned with this, and as far as I can tell I was toast 5 minutes into my second interview when I hadn't answered the exact PEI question my interviewer had asked me. Cases were not terrible, but the charts are designed to be difficult to read. Be ready for that.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).