McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 27, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Process took 3 months. This was due to my schedule and theirs. Throughout the entire process, McKinsey was amazing. Very professional, very thorough. 50% was case and 50% was personal experience. They truly are trying to find a reason to hire you, not a reason to deny you. Very refreshing versus most other companies. Two critical pieces of advice for applicants. #1, if you can afford it, practice with former McKinsey consultants. I did this through evisors.com, but there are a number of other sites you can find people as well. If you practice with students or people who haven't been offered the job, it is essentially the blind leading the blind. I paid for around 10 practice sessions and it made all the difference in the world. #2, practice your math skills on caseinterviewmath.com. I absolutely loved how fast and easy this site was. None of the math you are being tested on is too difficult, but speed and accuracy do matter. The format of this site is laser focused on those two factors and it helped me tremendously. There are a number of other resources I leveraged (books, alumni, networking, LOMS, etc.). I just found the two above the most helpful and the least talked about online. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• In every single interview I was asked a version of, "tell me about a time you took on a leadership role". This was in the initial phone screen all the way up to the partner interviews. The cases are what you would expect. Most were profitability cases, but some were a little more unique. Two of my four partner interviews did not include a case. I don't think that is normal, but that was my experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only part they negotiate is the sign-on bonus.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Had a phone interview with a recruiter and then I was set up for a practice phone case interview. They also invited me to participate in a case interview webinar. They tell you how they expect you to perform however I did not have the resources to practice many case studies, which I think is key to moving forward in the interview process. PRACTICE,PRACTICE, PRACTICE!

Executive Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

In a group - Timed Intellect Test first. Timed Detail-mindedness test next. Then three-ten minute interviews - speed dating style. All questions were appropriate and relevant and interviewers were very professional and appeared to be open and honest about culture.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were "What would you do if....?" Situational questions   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Insight program, got rejected, and was offered an interview for a full time position. First round contained two parts: 1. problem solving test and 2. group case study led by current consultant. The test was pretty difficult. Didn't make it in the end.

Interview Questions

• PST composed of three cases and all were multiple choice questions similar to their sample test online   Answer Question

Full-Time Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in August 2015.

Interview

This is a first round of interview targeting at candidates who is has/going to get non-MBA advanced degrees, officially called Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment. Most people got invited in my session were PhDs. The first part is a written test called Mckinsey Problem Solving Test (PST) and the second part is two group breakout sessions simulating the real interview.

Residential Counseling Interview

Interview

Wow it was interesting they were very educational at first but the best piece of educational material was the educated responses but in general I liked the process and would repeat it any time

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

The process was relatively quick. It took four weeks in total. Case interview on the phone. Two in-person interviews. Personal interviews each contained one case-based and one personal question. The second of the personal interviews asked fit-type questions as well. The cases are not bad. Be prepared to tell the whole story behind your personal questions. Know every detail.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an instance in which you changed someone's mind.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

scheduled a phone interview with technical questions on GIS. after two weeks, scheduled a video interview with senior analyst and research analyst from HQ (two hours). Asked to do the test after the first round interview.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself, what is your weakness/strength, and describe how did you do when you have a disagreement with your teammate.   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Interviewed with a senior research analyst. The conversation started off with the typical "walk me through your resume". They were interested in knowing about past programming experiences, as well as general knowledge of current events. It took about 30 minutes in total.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to see on the front of the Economist next week?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It's a 1st round interview. The basic structure of the interview follows behavior question + business case. The business case is more interviewer-led structure. Also, because the job requires professional statistics and programming knowledge, the business case involves more statistics modeling knowledge, which is different from business case interview for management consulting. The overall process is quite fun.

Interview Questions

• what's the most challenging work for you? and how do you solve it   Answer Question