McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Oct 29, 2014
Updated Oct 29, 2014

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions
    • How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Initial interview was a set of two cases and behavioural questions. The interviews were in their main office and with 2 partners. They were looking for strength of leadership and analysis. It is a great company but it is not for everyone.

Interview Questions
    • Please give me a time when you had to influence a group.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied and went through three rounds as an APD candidate. I had a great experience over 8 interviews and the written Problem Solving Test. The first round was two group cases, the second was two individual cases, and the final round was 4 individual cases. Each individual case was accompanied by a behavioral interview as well.The people I interviewd with were friendly and the company covered all expenses during the interview process.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked the formula DCF analysis on one of the cases. I did not know what it was but was able to do the calculation with some help from the interviewer.   Answer Question
    No negotiation needed.

Associate Interview

Brought in through APD recruitment program. First round was a problem-solving test and group practice case. Second round was individual personal and case interviews. Experience with case interviews is definitely necessary--if you plan to apply, start practicing before applying as there might only be a short amount of time between your first and second round interviews.

Received useful individual feedback about my performance after each round.

Interview Questions
    • None--they are very straightforward about the structure of the interview process and how to prepare.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through my business school (top-15) in U.S for the BTO practice. I interviewed first round in one office and then second round at my chosen office. The first round interview (two cases and PEIs) went very well - I was told that I was one of the 'standout' candidates. The second round had 4 interviews (PEI and case in each), 3 of them with Partners and one with Associate Principal. Interview cases were not hard - the math was very easy and I solved them correctly. Some brainstorming with one partner maybe didn't go very well because his point of view had certain assumptions (that I brought out). Disappointed to not get an offer.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Problem solving test was one hour analytic/ critical reading exam. Short on time. Must be quick with estimation and math.
    Group interview consisted of two interviews in groups of four to five candidates with a consultant working through a case. Consultant asks each candidate a question and others may then build on that response.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult part was time management of problem solving test to start the day.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

First round: PEI and group case. Advancing to next round depends on score on exam.

Second round: Two separate hour-long interviews with an engagement manager and an associate. Part behavioral/part case

Final round: Four separate hour-long interviews with three partners and an engagement manager. Much more difficult than the second round of interviews.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

I applied online and heard back within a week of the application. I networked with several employees before I received a first round invitation and I think that is the primary reason why I was chosen for a first round interview. The interview itself was straightforward, the experience questions were similar to what I expected and the cases were not too difficult. I would just make sure to brush up on your quick math before the interview and to have a clear plan throughout the case.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult question was regarding reducing CO2 emissions with electric vehicles. The answer the interviewer was looking for was not too complex, but I was thrown off by the unexpected subject   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Friend of mine new I was looking for a job and gave my resume to HR for a different position. When they filled that position they asked her if I was interested in the E.A. position. I said yes. A week later called me to come in for an interview. It was a speed dating style interview where 4 of the interviewees rotated every 10 minutes to a different interviewer (4 total). Lasted about an hour they said if we advance to the next step well be invited back for testing. Less than an hour after I left I was called back and I went in the following day to test. Testing was EXTREMELY easy. Everyone kept saying it was hard. Clearly they just aren't very intelligent. The testing is over spelling and grammar (high school level) and then a live test on their Lotus Notes platform which is pretty much like outlook. I have never used Lotus notes and easily navigated through it. Again, people said this part was hard and it was very easy. Left the office and they said you would hear something Friday if you were getting an offer. 10am Friday they called me and offered the job... which was expected.

Interview Questions
    • Interview was extremely easy but if I had to pick something I'd say being asked "where do you see yourself 3 years from now" followed immediately by "where do you see yourself 5 years from now". The questions are so similar and it was unexpected that they would ask them back to back to I had to really think of a response without repeating what I just said.   Answer Question
    I put my salary requirements at 45000 annually. The range for this position is 32k+ to start. I was offered $37,500.

Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

Invited to interview through on campus recruitment. The expected "McKinsey" interview format: Fit: tell me about a situation when your leadership skills were challenged, about a failure, a situation when a project was going south, you faced opposition and critique, how did you react, what did you say, etc. Cases were not too complicated, one case in new iPad app format. Way too focused on their "framework" or "McKinsey mindset", rather than the thought process or conclusions of the interviewee.
    Quick, although rather useless feedback. Very professional in their communication and interaction.