McKinsey & Company

Updated Dec 11, 2014
Updated Dec 11, 2014

3.9

Business Analyst/Management Consultant Interview

There's resume screening, then I got the chance to revise my office preferences (which I indicated in the application form). The next stage was the first round on-site interview with 2 consultants. The final (or second to the last stage, depending on circumstances) moved on to the second round on-site interview with 3 consultants. Very pleasant experience. The recruiter is very professional and nice.

Typical interviews, and the formats are identical to what McKinsey posted on its website. There are case-coaching sessions right before each round (once one proceeds beyond the first-round). It seems that most APD and Associate hires go through three on-site interviews by default. Undergrad BA hires go through two on-site interviews.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview.
    1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not.

2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions
    • An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was incredibly organized and fast-paced. I made it through the PST test stage, but unfortunately did not make it past the 2nd round regional interview stage.

There was nothing unexpected in the interview, it is exactly as they say it will be on their Careers website.

The feedback I received after not going on to the next stage was extremely helpful.

Interview Questions
    • One of my cases was on banking. I hadn't practiced enough banking questions, and was a bit unprepared for the math.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions
    • nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

Associate Interview

First round onsite interview is in the office close to where you live, first one hour is the notorious Problem solving test, the questions are not so hard, but the time is so limited. Then comes group interview, one consultant led 5-6 interviewees in a case study, it's the typical command and control style, not hard if you prepare a bit, but obviously not everyone is prepared. They say the group interview is not evaluative, but actually they do somehow take it into account, I didn't do very well in PST but was good in case interview, so they passed me into the next round.

Second round was about 2 weeks later, they flew me to the regional central office, very fancy office at the top of a skyscraper in downtown, gorgeous view. Two back to back case interviews, each about 50 minutes, case is again command and control style, not hard at all, what matters is how you answered it, how you structured it, and how you communicate it.

Didn't pass the 2nd round, obviously competition was too extreme, but nice experience overall.

Interview Questions
    • The questions are not specifically so difficult. I think how you answered and your behavior and impressions you gave to interview are more important.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions
    • How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

1st round was PST which evaluate math and reasoning capability.
    2nd round is case interview + personal experience.
    I didn't get invited to 3rd round interview which will be the office interview.

Interview Questions
    • There was no suprising question. It is very well organized and they seemed to try best to make all candidates well informed before coming to interview. such as workshop and coaching session. Which were relly usuful. However the exhibition I was given was a way more complicated than the one I met through this workshop or coaching session. That was the only one I found challenging   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Submitted CV
    call for 1st round math test 2 weeks later
    call for 2nd round interview the week after
    Decision 1 week later - no offer

The team is very supportive. It feels like college admissions all over again. The process is highly transparent even amongst other applicants - they reveal the list of people who make it at each stage of the interview process.

Most consultants were friendly.Two consultants were snarky. One consultant was not nice, but he was the exception to the rule.

Interview Questions
    • Math test was probably the hardest part - unlike anything you've seen before in GREs or GMATs
      Fit interview- they interrupt all the time for details
      Case interviews - standard, with some challenging graphs, but overall okay

Answer Question