McKinsey & Company

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.9

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions
    • A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   View Answer

Summer Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

3 rounds, all similar "tell me a time when..." questions, but I brought a lot of notes and was generally prepared. People were very to-the-point and non-emotional. I couldn't read them at all! Turns out they loved me, but I was nervous afterwar.

Associate Interview

Three Rounds of interviews:
    1st Round - test
    2nd Round - 2 case interviews + fit questions
    3rd Round - 3 case interviews + fit questions

Read website which has extensive explanations of interview process and practice cases. Get a hold of business school case books for further practice and refinement of structured problem solving techniques. Practice doing calculations by hand, short cuts, and doing calculations in front of people.

The feedback I received was that I was energetic, genuine, and seemed comfortable. Try not to be nervous. Also have structured responses for fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • Tech company wants to enter the healthcare space. You have a meeting with the client next week. How would you think about structuring this meeting.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I had two 50-minute first-round interviews on campus at our career services building. The interviewers were each polite. The process is pretty formulaic. People under-prepare for the personal experience interview. The rest of the Big 3 seem less concerned with this, and as far as I can tell I was toast 5 minutes into my second interview when I hadn't answered the exact PEI question my interviewer had asked me. Cases were not terrible, but the charts are designed to be difficult to read. Be ready for that.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2015.

I had two rounds of interviews, one on-campus (target school) and one at their headquarters. I had two interviews in the first round, and three interviews in the second round. Each interview lasts about an hour. They all consisted of a PEI, a case, and an opportunity to ask questions. The cases are pretty standard, and heavily driven by the interviewer. I found that the PEI was where the difference was made, especially in the initial rounds. Taking a while to plan out punchy PEI examples was really worth it, since it helped distinguish my application in the minds of my interviewers. However, don't go so far as planning out which interviewer gets which PEI story in advance--each PEI is a little different, and you risk being off-topic if you launch in to a prepared speech as soon as you hear a PEI prompt. You can give the same examples in round 2 that you gave in round 1, but don't use the same example more than once per round. Questions, especially when you're in front of a partner, are really great opportunities to learn about the nuances of the office you're applying for.

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round interview was two case studies plus personal impact questions. Personal impact questions included tell me about a time when you overcame an adversity or tell me about a time when you had to overcome a disagreement with someone and work with them on a team.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

One hour with one interviewer, one hour with the next. In total, it was one two-hour interview. Each hour had 30 minutes of fit/experience questions and 30 minutes of a case. Fit/experience questions were fairly straightforward/expected, but the cases were difficult.