McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 15, 2014
Updated Sep 15, 2014

3.9

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in July 2014.

Experienced hire. Standard PEI and cases. Nothing very surprising in terms of the content of the interview. The most important thing is to be able to think fast and accurately under stress. The interviewers are all very friendly and really do help you relax. They really want you to succeed and do guide you when you are stuck. Great firm culture and very enjoyable interview process.

Interview Questions
    • Dig deeper and draw implications on very vaguely drawn charts/exhibits.   Answer Question
    no negotiation.

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process is not a short one. It can expand for a couple of months and several contacts over the phone. It is mainly based on your experiences and case based. So be really prepared for the cases. The process is exactly what they tell the applicants is going to be. So do not expect any surprises just review all the materials they provide through its website and through your recruiter, study all the basic interviewing questions (tell me about yourself, how your experience relates to the position, etc). Be yourself, review your resume, gather and study all the material they provide and you will do fine.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

Got one phone interview from the team leader. It took one month after I applied it online. The person asked about some programing skills and also asked about experience on the resume.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2014.

I got an invite for the first round and it is the Problem Solving Test and Group Interview workshop about 2 weeks after the resume deadline.
    PST
    I've heard that during this round, the PST is what they are primarily judging you on. There is an unknown cut off score (rumors about it range from 60-70%) for a pretty challenging test 26 questions in 60 minutes. They have 3 practice tests online with answer keys. Some of the questions are like GMAT integrated reasoning questions but they're not exactly the same.
    Group interview
    There's a lot of variability among the group interviews depending on your interviewer. My first one would ask the same question to all of us but would rotate the order in which he asked us questions. My second one asked questions but would pick a random person from the group to answer the question and then ask if any of the rest of us had questions.
    I've heard that the group interview part is just to make sure that you can work on teams (so it's good to add on to other people's answers and synthesize what's been said). I'm not sure how much the group interview part counts especially since for my second one: half of us got math questions, the other half got strategy questions so I'd imagine it's mainly to give people who move onto the second round feedback.
    Generally, it was a very organized and structured experience. I really appreciate how quick the turnaround time was- I found out two days after my test that I didn't make it to the next round.

Interview Questions
    • A company wants to increase its profit by 10%. How many of its mid market product does it need to convert to its lower market product to reach this target and is it reasonable?   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Based on a very structured case and behavioral interview. You need to be well prepared for the business case section to get in. There is no secret sauce other than practice and confidence in delivery. On the behavioral you need to have a clear and articulate story where you created impact.

Interview Questions
    • the case is well structured with analytics, conceptual question and quantitative section.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

I managed to get an interview with McKinsey through an alumni. I was very fortunate since McKinsey does not recruit at my school. However, since I did not want to pursue a career in consulting, I never practiced how to interview for a consulting role (ie. case study interviews). I ended up having to cram this knowledge in a week for my phone case interview and a week for my on-site interview.

Process started with a call with the recruiter. Everything was very courteous, professional and on a timely manner. After my call with the recruiter, I was set up for a practice phone case interview with a former associate from McKinsey. There I was able to mess up and received feedback on how to improve, Then I had my real phone case interview a few days later. It was pretty straight forward (read up on McKinsey's interview format, since it's a bit different than other firms). I passed that and was invited to go to Chicago for two case interviews and two behavioral interviews.

I flew to Chicago, where McKinsey put my in a nice hotel right by the office. They also had me set up a credit card so I can charge food and taxi rides on, which was pretty cool. Next day was my interviews, which again was the same format. 30 minutes behavior interview and 30 minute case interview with one interviewer. Then the same for the second interviewer. I messed up on the quant for my second interviewer (see below.) After that, I had to do my Problem Solving Test (PST), which was brutal. As far as I know and heard, everyone struggles with the PST.

Unfortunately, I was not invited back for my final on-site interview (with the directors and partners). They were quick to provide feedback (mine recruiter actually was late by a few days, but still within a week). Feedback was that I had solid stories to tell on my behavior interviews but was weak on quant.

Still, due to their professionalism and quick response, I had a positive experience interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Where I was to determine how much one factory needed to produce X to have the equivalent cost to tons produced ratio as another factory. Graph was given of costs (fixed and variable) vs tons produced of both factories.   View Answer

Research Analyst Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions
    • what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Summer Insight Asia Program Interview

Submitted resume and a 500 word essay online.
    Phone interview by an senior associate from Beijing Office.
    30 mins. 10 mins fit questions.(why consulting? why McKinsey? Why greater China? a leadership experience) 20 mins mini case (tech company expand into lower end market. )

Didn't get the offer, but was invited back to full-time interview in the fall.

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!