McKinsey & Company

Very Difficult Interview

Research Analyst Interview

Research Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Applied online without expecting any answer back. After all, it's McKinsey! Got an invitation to a resume screening a month later and then called in to take the PST at McKinsey office in NY. PST is difficult, especially if you haven't done any math in awhile (like me). Somehow I passed, got invited to first round of interviews. 3 interviews one hour each. Interviewers are extremely nice and helps you to be relaxed. They'll ask you about your interests, but don't get TOO relaxed. Expect random case study questions based on your interests. Case study is not just with one person, but expect to do a case study for all 3. Didn't make it to the final round, but still a great experience! Extremely respectable firm and you can tell that people here are extremely intelligent and will motivate and challenge you.

Interview Question – Determine the bell curve for the music records industry in the next 8 years   Answer Question

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – apply online.first round case: open business, behaviour handle conflict. very friendly staff. before interview was training by consultant. very effective and structured. case maths is very easy but points are creative

Interview Question – conflict   Answer Question

McKinsey Solutions Interview

McKinsey Solutions

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details – 2 phone screens, first with a member of the team I applied to and second with an HR person
in person interview #1: 2 interviews with prospective center staff and manager, 1 interview with team member
in person interview #2: 2 virtual interviews and one in person behavioral interview
in person interview #3: 1 virtual interview, 1 in person with senior leadership

Interview Question – In 90 seconds, give me a summary of why you want this job.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Yes, got an extra 8K (+10%) one time signing bonus. Usually base salary is set, but signing and moving bonuses have some wiggle room

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Summer Business Analyst

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Question – The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

Agile Coach

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – If you are going to do any interview with McKinsey, make sure you do some research on case interviews before. I checked out a book I think was called "Case Interview Secrets." Do whatever it takes to prepare yourself. Don't just read what is on their website. The author of the above book offers a lot of extra help. Check it out.

Interview Question – The case interview, all of the questions are difficult   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst
New York, NY

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Question – The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Summer Associate (Management Consultant) Interview

Summer Associate (Management Consultant)

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – This was for the sophomore program. They send you a lot of material to help you prepare and put you into contact with a person working at McKinsey to help you with any questions. Then you have two behavioral interviews and case studies, followed by a test. If you pass that round, you are offered an interview at one of your chosen offices.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself." Have like an elevator pitch or a short narrative that tells your story.   Answer Question

Associate

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Interview Details – Introduced to recruitment manager for initial casual chat re process etc. by a friend. Applied online a few months later. Interview - 2 rounds. 1st round - problem solving test (!!!!!) and 2 50-min interviews, 1 on 1, consisted of 1 behavioural qs and one case each. 2nd round - 3 50-min interviews with partners.

Interview Question – Profitability of intercity train freight company.   Answer Question

Interview Details – -- Quant test
-- Business case + personal interview
-- 9 interviews total: 3 days with 3 interviewers each day
- Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
- Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
- Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit

Interview Question – - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
- Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
- Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit
  Answer Question

New York, NY

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – McKinsey comes to my business school to interview candidates every year. They shortlist students for the interview purely based on their resumes unlike the other consulting firms who rely, at varying degrees, on networking. This shows how meritocratic they are. Even though the consultants who came to the school appeared aloof during the company presentation and networking events, they become extremely friendly, polite and humble during the interview days both at my b-school campus and during my visit to their NYC office.
There were two interviews on campus and then those selected for the final rounds had 3-4 rounds with partners/principals at their preferred location. All the interviews are half behavioral and half case. In the campus round, the behavioral questions were more predictable - they wanted to know how you influence people or handle conflicts. The stories have to be detailed with focus on what you were thinking at that point and why you did what you did.
The final rounds are very similar to the first rounds except that the partners have more freedom in the process. Be ready to talk about things not on your resume, about your passion, about your personal life as well (what I mean is, questions like biggest mistake, etc shouldn't or needn't just be a professional story). I think a BIG factor here is likability - the partners have to like you. Hence it becomes more subjective very unlike the first round.

Interview Question – Tell me something not on your resume - it is hard because you don't know where to start and what is relevant. I am not sure I answered the question well.   Answer Question

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!