McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Apr 22, 2015

3.9

Procurement Team Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very easy, outgoing attitudes and friendly from when I walked in the door. I studied the company prior to going, so the questions were nothing hard nor scary. As long as you are dedicated and understand why you want to work for this company, you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to work with a team and over came an obstacle?   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A month after applying had a brief phone interview. All people I spoke with were nice and polite. From the start they were particular in mentioning that the position was Research and not client facing- which was great for me since I wasn't interested in a consultant role. The phone screening was followed by a two hour interview over video conference from their local office. (The job was in Boston, I am based in another state). It was weird talking over video but the whole system was efficient. Two people conducted the interview-one hour each. The pattern was after initial introductions 1. Tell us about yourself (resume deep dive, be prepared with details) 2. Particular scenarios in your academic/professional life (seemed a tad obsessed with conflict resolution experiences but was okay) 3. Case questions- provided with information and then asked question in four parts as to strategy(increasing prices etc), possible solutions/scenarios, a problem in the case, numerical problems(trickiest because of time and pressure, questions not too impossible though). The information was provided verbally so it can be tricky if you aren't used to it like business school students. (I messed up in one case since I forgot he said 'wholesaler' and not manufacturer like I understood. Nerves I guess.It was my first interview after five years.)
    All in all, people were nice, the most fun interview I've been to and good experience. I was hoping for a positive response but didn't get it. Asked for feedback, they said they were happy with my responses but the other candidate was more experienced. Makes sense, I am an entry level candidate with only intern experience.

Also I forgot to mention, you have to take an aptitude test, like verbal and logical/math. Not difficult but the key is PRACTICE!!

Interview Questions

• Wholesaler of towels, but cotton prices are increasing.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Went through 2 rounds of interviews - 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the final round. All interviews were a combination of a case and personal experience/fit. Very important to have practiced case interviews and prepare stories about your past experience that highlight leadership, teamwork, etc.

McKinsey Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Not very clear communication regarding interview times. Had 2 interviews and then was called by the recruiter and told the client went in a different direction and the position was not longer available. Not sure if I was let down easy or not. I put in a lot of effort going over cases and learning the McKinsey way to have it end so suddenly.

Interview Questions

• The interview asked questions about a case involving a company that processes Chickens. The problem was a weighted average problem.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process included a case interview coaching session as well as a case interview, and problem solving interview. I would recommend making yourself available for the case coaching session as it gives your some necessary shortcuts to answer questions in an efficient manner.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up.

The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership.

The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions

• A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   1 Answer

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.