McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.9

Research Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Interviewed with a senior research analyst. The conversation started off with the typical "walk me through your resume". They were interested in knowing about past programming experiences, as well as general knowledge of current events. It took about 30 minutes in total.

Interview Questions

• What would you expect to see on the front of the Economist next week?   1 Answer

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Process took 3 months. This was due to my schedule and theirs. Throughout the entire process, McKinsey was amazing. Very professional, very thorough. 50% was case and 50% was personal experience. They truly are trying to find a reason to hire you, not a reason to deny you. Very refreshing versus most other companies.

Two critical pieces of advice for applicants. #1, if you can afford it, practice with former McKinsey consultants. I did this through evisors.com, but there are a number of other sites you can find people as well. If you practice with students or people who haven't been offered the job, it is essentially the blind leading the blind. I paid for around 10 practice sessions and it made all the difference in the world. #2, practice your math skills on caseinterviewmath.com. I absolutely loved how fast and easy this site was. None of the math you are being tested on is too difficult, but speed and accuracy do matter. The format of this site is laser focused on those two factors and it helped me tremendously.

There are a number of other resources I leveraged (books, alumni, networking, LOMS, etc.). I just found the two above the most helpful and the least talked about online. Good luck!

Interview Questions

• In every single interview I was asked a version of, "tell me about a time you took on a leadership role". This was in the initial phone screen all the way up to the partner interviews. The cases are what you would expect. Most were profitability cases, but some were a little more unique. Two of my four partner interviews did not include a case. I don't think that is normal, but that was my experience.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The only part they negotiate is the sign-on bonus.

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It's a 1st round interview. The basic structure of the interview follows behavior question + business case. The business case is more interviewer-led structure. Also, because the job requires professional statistics and programming knowledge, the business case involves more statistics modeling knowledge, which is different from business case interview for management consulting. The overall process is quite fun.

Interview Questions

• what's the most challenging work for you? and how do you solve it   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Went through 2 rounds of interviews - 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the final round. All interviews were a combination of a case and personal experience/fit. Very important to have practiced case interviews and prepare stories about your past experience that highlight leadership, teamwork, etc.

Procurement Team Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very easy, outgoing attitudes and friendly from when I walked in the door. I studied the company prior to going, so the questions were nothing hard nor scary. As long as you are dedicated and understand why you want to work for this company, you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to work with a team and over came an obstacle?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A month after applying had a brief phone interview. All people I spoke with were nice and polite. From the start they were particular in mentioning that the position was Research and not client facing- which was great for me since I wasn't interested in a consultant role. The phone screening was followed by a two hour interview over video conference from their local office. (The job was in Boston, I am based in another state). It was weird talking over video but the whole system was efficient. Two people conducted the interview-one hour each. The pattern was after initial introductions 1. Tell us about yourself (resume deep dive, be prepared with details) 2. Particular scenarios in your academic/professional life (seemed a tad obsessed with conflict resolution experiences but was okay) 3. Case questions- provided with information and then asked question in four parts as to strategy(increasing prices etc), possible solutions/scenarios, a problem in the case, numerical problems(trickiest because of time and pressure, questions not too impossible though). The information was provided verbally so it can be tricky if you aren't used to it like business school students. (I messed up in one case since I forgot he said 'wholesaler' and not manufacturer like I understood. Nerves I guess.It was my first interview after five years.)
    All in all, people were nice, the most fun interview I've been to and good experience. I was hoping for a positive response but didn't get it. Asked for feedback, they said they were happy with my responses but the other candidate was more experienced. Makes sense, I am an entry level candidate with only intern experience.

Also I forgot to mention, you have to take an aptitude test, like verbal and logical/math. Not difficult but the key is PRACTICE!!

Interview Questions

• Wholesaler of towels, but cotton prices are increasing.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to.

Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

McKinsey Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Not very clear communication regarding interview times. Had 2 interviews and then was called by the recruiter and told the client went in a different direction and the position was not longer available. Not sure if I was let down easy or not. I put in a lot of effort going over cases and learning the McKinsey way to have it end so suddenly.

Interview Questions

• The interview asked questions about a case involving a company that processes Chickens. The problem was a weighted average problem.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process included a case interview coaching session as well as a case interview, and problem solving interview. I would recommend making yourself available for the case coaching session as it gives your some necessary shortcuts to answer questions in an efficient manner.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer