McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.9

Associate Interview

Interview

Pointers for the process: the test is time limited in a way that you cannot answer all the questions. Pace yourself accordingly. The interviewer wants to check your thought process - don't panick, ben calm and be yourself.

Interview Questions

Other candidates would really appreciate relevant details that affected your decision.

Associate Interview

Interview

Very very structured process. First round interviews followed a set pattern, first they ask you about you. They want you to highlight how you have tuned your leadership qualities and can be impactful. Next they walk you through a business case where want you to follow their lead. This helps you focus more on providing your most insightful comments as opposed to keeping an eye on the clock. During the final round interviews, it is more of the same except the fact that because partners are involved, you may get more open-ended questions during the case

Interview Questions

• The case interview was the most difficult as you are expected to think in a structured manner on your feet, on a case that is foreign to you.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations, I had to accept their standard North American package for associates

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Group interview- after the PST, we were presented with 2 cases. pretty straight forward exactly as explained on their website. If you dont answer or make a mistake they will point you out and as you a questions

Interview Questions

• Asked me to do some calculations. should be good with doing math under pressure   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The whole process is very clear, in the McKinsey style. They tell you every piece of information you need to know, and don't really throw any surprises at you. Also, every person I encountered was extremely nice and personable. Whether you are accepted or now, the process is a valuable growing experience. One bit of advice - every interaction is actually evaluative on some level. They are watching you from the beginning in order to understand if you'll be safe to put in front of a client, so don't take them literally when they say things are "non-evaluative."

Interview Questions

• I was surprised at the amount of detail they wanted in regards to your answers to the "fit" questions.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

McKinsey is great about helping you prepare for the interview. 1:1 Trainer and all. Good prep time. Kind people. They expect a lot so come prepared

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time there was a conflict in your group you had to work through (x2).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

First round was a written test. The questions are challenging but the most difficult bit is to crack it within a short time. After clearing that I was invited for the 2nd round, which included two 1 hour interviews. Both the interviewers were very professional and courteous. On clearing that round, I was invited for the final round interviews with Partners/Directors at the Midwest office. I thought I nailed the cases and the fit part went very smooth as well. However, did not get an offer.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

APD applicant still in the application process. Submitted application online. Received an invitation for IWIA with several potentially interested offices. PST is straightforward. Make sure you practice the tests given on McK website. Group case session was useful. Remember the feedback you get, so you can apply them to the second round.

Associate Interview

Interview

Get prepared by doing a lot of cases in advance. Find them on mck and competitors websites, business schools can provide quite a lot of examples too. Don't get stuck into frameworks, use your common sense. Ask for feedback from interviewers between the 3 rounds.

Interview Questions

• Have good stories ready to tell about your leadership skills, results orientation and capacity to work as a team   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation on salary, negotiated a sign up bonus to fund my mba

Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Round 1: PST The actual test was on par with practice tests on their website with a lot of time pressure. Round 2: two one-on-one interviews with associates/engagement managers Very standard with half case and half personal experience. Round 3: three one-on-one interviews with partners Again, very standard with the same format as round 2.

Interview Questions

• Cases were all very standard and appeared to come out of some repository, most were basic profitability.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Interview

2 round of 3 interviews, composed both of fit and case interviews

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Unexistent