McKinsey & Company

Updated Jan 26, 2015
Updated Jan 26, 2015

3.9

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2014.

The london office does not take cover letter. After the 1st screening, the candidates are asked to take Problem Solving Test. The result of PST will be revealed in a week, and successful candidates will be invited to the next round personal interview.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied online, received first round interview on campus. It consisted of 2 back to back one on one interviews. Each interview had a personal experience (telling a story to answer a personality question) and a case.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied through my university, which takes part in McKinsey's formal campus recruitment process. The first round consisted of two back-to-back case interviews, which were about 45 minutes each. Those who move on to the next round are typically flown to a McKinsey office for interviews. Offers are extended after several rounds of interviews. Overall, the company's process is fair and transparent.

Interview Questions
    • There were typical business cases; there was nothing unexpected. Each interview began with questions about how I managed disagreement in a group setting.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Round 1 interview
    Did 2 case + behavioral interviews
    Though I did quiet well both on behavioral and cases.
    It would have been better if I got feedback from my first interviewer who I thought was the one to ding me as my second case interview went really well. Everyone else was provided feedback on the interview but my interviewer didn't even after I emailed her asking for one. That ruined the entire process for me becuase I had really connected well with the company and wanted to get some honest feedback on what I could improve upon.

Interview Questions
    • Stumbled a bit on the first case which included estimating an issue with one of the retail package products of a CPG company.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Standard, multi-part business case and experience interview focused on example management consulting situations and challenging situations from past work. Several components are assessed on each part, and process is repeated with slight variations across 3 interviewers over a 3 hour period.

Interview Questions
    • What about your current role makes you an asset for the role to which you're applying?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online with resume and other required documents. They seem to be flexible with resume formatting if you are coming from academia (i.e. have a PhD). Staff and consultants during the interview process were super friendly but we were a bit crammed during the test. Other than that not much to complain about.

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through campus recruiting. First round was with 2 consultants (30+30 behavior and case). Quant was a bit tough and I struggled slightly at first. But the interviewers were really nice in helping me out. 2nd round was with 4 directors/partners. Some unusual cases. Good conversations. Overall very relaxing experience. The interviewers really wanted to get to know me as a person. Make sure everything you say is super structured and logical. Interview decisions are made on the day of so you don't have to wait too long.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2012.

1) Enter system through referral and campus recruiting.
    2) Take written test at local McKinsey office. Test covers how you would service a McKinsey client in three case scenarios.
    3) Virtual interview with two junior consultants. Each presents you with a relatively closed-end business case to walk through.
    4) In-person interview with three senior consultants. Each presents you with a more open-ended business case to walk through, but interviews focus on personal traits and experiences.
    5) Job offer!

Interview Questions
    • Talk about a time you had to convince someone or a group to change their behavior.   Answer Question
    No negotiation for junior roles :)

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

First round of two interviews and the PST then the final round of three interviews, all with cases, just as it describes on the website. No surprises at all, just prep prep prep!

Interview Questions
    • Nothing unexpected, the process is very transparent. It feels a little odd not to be asked "why consulting?" or "why McKinsey" ...I had questions about conflict, difficult team situations and exceptional challenge/accomplishment. A lot of time was spent analysing the framework I had set out to solve the case study and this was true for all 3 final round interviews, so know why you're asking that question within your framework.   Answer Question