McKinsey & Company

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Getting the Interview

692 candidate interviews

Intern Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – 2 round interviews + timed questionnaire

Interview Question – What was the time when you had to pass through your opinion against someone who thought differently than you?   Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2013.

Interview Details – Submitted CV and cover letter online and received an email inviting me to a 1 hour problem solving test at a nearby McKinsey office 2 weeks later. Completed the test and was emailed 1 week later informing me that I had passed the test and was invited to the next round of face to face interviews. I was given a range of dates to choose from as well as the chance to attend a training session beforehand. The format was two 1 hour interviews with a different consultant. The first half hour of each interview was an in depth analysis of a single behavioural question eg "Describe a time you overcame an obstacle to achieve a goal". The second half hour was a case study of the type that can be found on McKinsey's career page with plenty of steering by the consultants.

Interview Question – Not a specific question but they will probe very deep on the behavioural question. Make sure that any example you use has enough meat to last for 30 minutes of discussion.   Answer Question

Junior Consultant Interview

Johannesburg (South Africa)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Interview Details – Quite deltailed.Needs thorough preparation. They is an interview coaching session which they always recommend that the candidates attend.

Interview Question – None. I was just not ready enough for the case , the way in which one structures the responds is theeee most important thing .   Answer Question

Fellow Associate Interview

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – First round interview with McK in Germany. Overall very pleasant and enjoyable experience with some things to pay attention to:
1.) Do not make math mistakes, they will cost you even if you can convey that you are good at math and they were just bad luck. It's better to take an extra 5 sec than to mess up a calculation
2.) Choose your answers to the FIT questions carefully...you are expected to dazzle and shouldn't just be giving an average answers.
3.) On the case, first brainstorm and list a whole mess of ideas that come to mind, then dig deeper and explain the individual branches of your issue tree in detail.

Interview Question – The interview overall was not very difficult and everything that you would have expected.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Prague (Czech Republic)

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Typical case interview format following the first round of a written test and interviews in New York. Given great feedback and moved to a second/third round in an overseas office. However, a very different experience there: engagement manager interviewing me there was far from interested in having a good conversation, and kept checking his phone while talking to me. Not the kind of professionalism I would expect after having gone through multiple interviews and spent tens of hours preparing for interviews.

Make sure to be confident and interact with interviewers as you would with a business partner. They want to see a mature person on the other side of the table.

McKinsey is still a great company to work for but unfortunately, even just one grumpy person can ruin your experience and opportunity to join the

Interview Question – Being asked the same question over and over: when did you convince a team to do something differently and how did you persuade those who did not agree?   View Answer

Associate Consultant Interview

Tel Aviv-Yafo (Israel)

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Got an email from a recruiter, asked some very basic personal questions and then invited me to take a problem solving test.
Got to their office, was treated very nicely, took the test that didn't feel that hard (very little time per question though - I think there were 25 questions in 24 minutes or something like that) and I never heard back from them.
I tried emailing the recruiter but she never answered.
The test consisted of 3 business case studies.

Interview Question – Based on very little information, what should the business do next in order to increase sales?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Test, 2 rounds of interviews

Interview Question – Do you really want to focus on the UK?   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Junior Associate Interview

London, England (UK)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2014.

Interview Details – Target school APD (Advanced Professional Degree) BTO (Business Technology Office) for London office. Problem solving test was waived, as I'd taken it previously. 1st round interview was great, well organized and very enjoyable. My 2nd round interview was botched. I was handed off to three different recruiters, with long (1 month+) delays. Took continual prompting and asking a friend in another office to help out to finish the process. The BTO intake seems disorganized compared to the standard batch-day process. 20/20 hindsight, I'd apply as a generalist consultant.

Interview Question – Standard McKinsey process. The London-specific 'role-play' scenario was the only unusual bit.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – Selection from university recruitment event for foreign office (I speak the language). Remote video interview from nearest office, mainly case study and standard interview questions in language.

Interview Question – Biggest difficulty for me came from simply crunching numbers in a foreign language.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was extremely professional

Interview Question – What would you do in a certain situation in regards to a "slacking" co-worker.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at McKinsey & Company

Worked for McKinsey & Company? Contribute to the Community!

McKinsey & Company Videos

McKinsey & Company – Why Work for Us?

​ Someone once said “Far and away, the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.” Our consultants tackle complex, world-shaping challenges… from re-imagining healthcare… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at McKinsey & Company interview questions and advice. All 692 interview reviews posted anonymously by McKinsey & Company employees and interview candidates.