McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

3.9

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Baltimore, MD) in June 2015.

Interview

It's a 1st round interview. The basic structure of the interview follows behavior question + business case. The business case is more interviewer-led structure. Also, because the job requires professional statistics and programming knowledge, the business case involves more statistics modeling knowledge, which is different from business case interview for management consulting. The overall process is quite fun.

Interview Questions

• what's the most challenging work for you? and how do you solve it   Answer Question

McKinsey Insight Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Boston, MA) in June 2015.

Interview

Resume drop and phone screen. The person asked me a few things that he thought was interesting. The case involved a simple q and a short math. I got a little nervous and took more time than I should have but the interviewer was encouraging.

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through on-campus recruiting. Went through 2 rounds of interviews - 2 interviews in the first round, 3 interviews in the final round. All interviews were a combination of a case and personal experience/fit. Very important to have practiced case interviews and prepare stories about your past experience that highlight leadership, teamwork, etc.

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

A month after applying had a brief phone interview. All people I spoke with were nice and polite. From the start they were particular in mentioning that the position was Research and not client facing- which was great for me since I wasn't interested in a consultant role. The phone screening was followed by a two hour interview over video conference from their local office. (The job was in Boston, I am based in another state). It was weird talking over video but the whole system was efficient. Two people conducted the interview-one hour each. The pattern was after initial introductions 1. Tell us about yourself (resume deep dive, be prepared with details) 2. Particular scenarios in your academic/professional life (seemed a tad obsessed with conflict resolution experiences but was okay) 3. Case questions- provided with information and then asked question in four parts as to strategy(increasing prices etc), possible solutions/scenarios, a problem in the case, numerical problems(trickiest because of time and pressure, questions not too impossible though). The information was provided verbally so it can be tricky if you aren't used to it like business school students. (I messed up in one case since I forgot he said 'wholesaler' and not manufacturer like I understood. Nerves I guess.It was my first interview after five years.) All in all, people were nice, the most fun interview I've been to and good experience. I was hoping for a positive response but didn't get it. Asked for feedback, they said they were happy with my responses but the other candidate was more experienced. Makes sense, I am an entry level candidate with only intern experience. Also I forgot to mention, you have to take an aptitude test, like verbal and logical/math. Not difficult but the key is PRACTICE!!

Interview Questions

• Wholesaler of towels, but cotton prices are increasing.   Answer Question

Procurement Team Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Very easy, outgoing attitudes and friendly from when I walked in the door. I studied the company prior to going, so the questions were nothing hard nor scary. As long as you are dedicated and understand why you want to work for this company, you will be fine.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had to work with a team and over came an obstacle?   1 Answer

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Standard consulting interview process. 1st round interview was done at the office in the city where my school was located. Round 2 I flew out to the city of the office that I was applying to. Round 1 was much more of a general interview, akin to what you read about in Case In Point. Round 2 was more specific and was largely conducted by the decision makers in my target office. In round 2 the cases were cases that the Partners had actuall worked on.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. Overall process is HR Screen --> Practice Phone Case --> Actual Phone Case --> In Person Round 1 --> In Person Day 2. After the initial screener to make sure you're a fit for the position and vice versa, I was scheduled for the first round of phone interviews. A quick aside, I was told that the interview process is the same exact process as the standard Consulting process, so this is probably all one in the same. Anyway, the first step was a phone case interview with a McK alum that also comes with 1 on 1 practice phoner if you can schedule it before the actual interview - I highly recommend this as it was very helpful to get a feel for the questions that will be asked, the style in which they will be asked, and an actual person to talk to you about the responses that are expected. Both the practice and actual cases were pretty standard to what you can find in the online resources...not terribly difficult, a mix of 4 or so questions with 3 qualitative and 1 math (there may also be small math parts mixed into the qual sections, but nothing major). All the qualitative questions were pretty easy and answered at a high level...ways to reduce costs, increase revenue, target specific markets, risk mgmt, etc. Math question was pretty easy...if they ask you to estimate any numbers yourself (population sizes, total revenues, etc), try to make them easy round numbers to work with. Otherwise the math is high school level in difficulty, just be prepared to clearly walk your interviewer through your logic. The in person days are conducted once per month and are full days with a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews with several consultants throughout. Obviously the big downside to this whole process is it's longevity...especially for those of us who are currently working full time, making time to fit in all of these rounds is not easy. One last point to make...call me crazy or sour grapes if you want, but I got the impression that it's much more difficult to land a McK gig without a top 20 MBA behind your name. Even with a well known and respected b-school MBA, I feel like I was expected to almost be overqualified if I expected to get a 2nd look without having a Wharton or Stanford alum status. I may be completely wrong, but my word to the wise would be to prepare two-fold if you're in the same boat.

Interview Questions

• Referring to a particular industry and client, determine the potential market size and the best method to distribute their products.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process included a case interview coaching session as well as a case interview, and problem solving interview. I would recommend making yourself available for the case coaching session as it gives your some necessary shortcuts to answer questions in an efficient manner.

McKinsey Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Not very clear communication regarding interview times. Had 2 interviews and then was called by the recruiter and told the client went in a different direction and the position was not longer available. Not sure if I was let down easy or not. I put in a lot of effort going over cases and learning the McKinsey way to have it end so suddenly.

Interview Questions

• The interview asked questions about a case involving a company that processes Chickens. The problem was a weighted average problem.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer