McKinsey & Company

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.9

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied through my schools on campus recruiting program. First round interviews consisted of two back to back 1-hour interviews, approx 20 min behavioral and 40 min case for each. The cases were interesting and on a variety of industries-- more difficult than Bain's, but easier than BCG's. They were very much interviewer driven, which made the initial framework less important.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Selected for first round interviews conduced in their Chicago office.
    There were two back-to-back interviews, lasting one hour each. The first 20ish minutes were fit questions and the remaining time was used to run over a case. The case was very similar to the practice ones they have online.

The behavioral interview at McKinsey is more challenging than their case interview. Have a lot of stories prepared for each type of situation.

Interview Questions
    • 3-4 examples of a time when you faced conflict in a group setting.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in February 2015.

Got an on campus interview by applying online to both the McKinsey website and our campus recruiting website. A week before the interview, McKinsey hosted a case interview workshop, during which BA's gave us tips on the process and split us up into groups for a practice case. This was super helpful, given it was the first case interview I have ever experienced. I also found potential study buddies.

The first round interview was on my college campus: one-hour interviews with two Engagement Managers each, 15 minutes devoted to Fit and 45 minutes devoted to the case. My interview was Friday, and on Monday, the recruiter called to let me know I had a second final interview in two weeks. At this point, tons of people from McKinsey e-mailed me to congratulate me in getting a second interview and offered to either grab coffee or review cases with me. My first round interviewer called to give me feedback on how I can improve, which was incredibly helpful. I was very touched and amazed by the support I received from McKinsey at this point.

My final interview was on-site at the office I applied for. The night before, all the applicants had dinner with current BA's, which was really fun. Again, the final interview was standard, this time I was interviewed by 2 partners a 1 associate principal. The interviews were from 8-11am, and by 1pm a partner I interviewed with called to tell me I had an offer. That night, all offerees were invited to celebrate. I had a blast interviewing with McKinsey, and very much appreciated the professionalism of the company, the support they gave interviewees, and the enthusiasm the people in the company had for their jobs.

Interview Questions
    • Fit questions-- What is a time you have failed? What was a time you had a disagreement with a team member? What was a time you had to make a difficult decision as a leader?

Case interviews-- standard case interview questions. There was a case presented on an iPad app, which was cool!

Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The entire process took about 2 weeks from the time I submitted my resume. They did a phone screen, and then I was brought in for an in person interview with several staff. They gave a test in Lotus Notes and a Wonderlic exam. Everyone was very friendly, and the benefits at the company sounded great. I was told the next step would be one last in person interview with another manager.

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied online, received first round interview on campus. It consisted of 2 back to back one on one interviews. Each interview had a personal experience (telling a story to answer a personality question) and a case.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

I applied through my university, which takes part in McKinsey's formal campus recruitment process. The first round consisted of two back-to-back case interviews, which were about 45 minutes each. Those who move on to the next round are typically flown to a McKinsey office for interviews. Offers are extended after several rounds of interviews. Overall, the company's process is fair and transparent.

Interview Questions
    • There were typical business cases; there was nothing unexpected. Each interview began with questions about how I managed disagreement in a group setting.   Answer Question

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through campus recruiting from a target university. They had a series of events leading up to the interview including coffee chats with consultants and a case interview workshop. The interview was standard two interviews, each an hour long, split into personal experience and case interview. You're advised to use a different story for each interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Delve into a story where you had to persuade someone to do something. Develop a product strategy for a wine manufacturer and distributor.   Answer Question

Summer(Sophomore Diversity Leaders) Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online and was contacted to set up an interview at the nearest office. Scheduled online and was interviewed by two different Associates. Each interview took about 40 minutes--both were extremely friendly and the environment was very relaxed.

Interview Questions
    • Half was case interview, half was personal (going over parts on resume, etc.). There were no "brainteasers" or anything of that sort at all.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest.

I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

BA- Operation (Implementation ) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied through email. Was contacted 2-3 month later. Was invited for PST, it was very hard. Practice online a lot ! the week after I was contacted and been told that I passed the PST and interviews are within 2 weeks. Day one I had 4 interviews each one had a case and behavioral part (about 30 case -20 behavioral). Day two, I had one intense interview, it was only behavioral (no case). questions were tough. Mainly about leadership and communication/presentation skills.

Interview Questions
    • List and explain 5 different strategies to convince someone that your point of view is correct   Answer Question