McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 8, 2014
Updated Sep 8, 2014

3.9

Analyst Interview

good grilling process ,with technical written along with case studies.one of a kind of interviews,one would rarely experience.
    3 written tests along with 3 rounds of interviews of which 2 technical.

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online without expecting any answer back. After all, it's McKinsey! Got an invitation to a resume screening a month later and then called in to take the PST at McKinsey office in NY. PST is difficult, especially if you haven't done any math in awhile (like me). Somehow I passed, got invited to first round of interviews. 3 interviews one hour each. Interviewers are extremely nice and helps you to be relaxed. They'll ask you about your interests, but don't get TOO relaxed. Expect random case study questions based on your interests. Case study is not just with one person, but expect to do a case study for all 3. Didn't make it to the final round, but still a great experience! Extremely respectable firm and you can tell that people here are extremely intelligent and will motivate and challenge you.

Interview Questions
    • Determine the bell curve for the music records industry in the next 8 years   Answer Question

Insight Program Interview

After the CV submission, they followed up in two weeks. They set up a phone interview with 1-week window to choose. The interview lasted for ~30 minutes. The first part was a 10 minute fit interview. The questions are like what is the reason you want to join McKinsey, why do you want to leave academia and so on. And then there was a 15 minute case interview. Then there was a 5 minute question session.

McKinsey Solutions Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

2 phone screens, first with a member of the team I applied to and second with an HR person
    in person interview #1: 2 interviews with prospective center staff and manager, 1 interview with team member
    in person interview #2: 2 virtual interviews and one in person behavioral interview
    in person interview #3: 1 virtual interview, 1 in person with senior leadership

Interview Questions
    • In 90 seconds, give me a summary of why you want this job.   Answer Question
    Yes, got an extra 8K (+10%) one time signing bonus. Usually base salary is set, but signing and moving bonuses have some wiggle room

Associate Interview

apply online.first round case: open business, behaviour handle conflict. very friendly staff. before interview was training by consultant. very effective and structured. case maths is very easy but points are creative

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2012.

Applied online for a Business Analyst position. Initial HR interview with the New York office, followed by an interview with a working consultant. The HR interview consisted of a lot of behavioral questions and lasted around half an hour. The second interview was a case interview over the phone. There was a practice interview in between (again, over the phone) with a former consultant - a McKinsey alumnus, who was very, very helpful as far as tips are concerned.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview was standard - it had something to do with a beer company in Australia and its falling market share (in terms of growth). The first set of questions had to do with estimating the market size (standard numerical estimation). The next set of questions had to do with diagnosing exactly why the market share was diminishing. The most difficult part, for me, was the conclusion, i.e. recommendations for growing market share.   Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Questions
    • The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Associate Interview

-- Quant test
    -- Business case + personal interview
    -- 9 interviews total: 3 days with 3 interviewers each day
    - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
    - Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
    - Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit

Interview Questions
    • - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
      - Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
      - Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit
        Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

If you are going to do any interview with McKinsey, make sure you do some research on case interviews before. I checked out a book I think was called "Case Interview Secrets." Do whatever it takes to prepare yourself. Don't just read what is on their website. The author of the above book offers a lot of extra help. Check it out.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview, all of the questions are difficult   Answer Question

Summer Associate (Management Consultant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

This was for the sophomore program. They send you a lot of material to help you prepare and put you into contact with a person working at McKinsey to help you with any questions. Then you have two behavioral interviews and case studies, followed by a test. If you pass that round, you are offered an interview at one of your chosen offices.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself." Have like an elevator pitch or a short narrative that tells your story.   Answer Question