McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

3.9

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

The McKinsey interview process included a case interview coaching session as well as a case interview, and problem solving interview. I would recommend making yourself available for the case coaching session as it gives your some necessary shortcuts to answer questions in an efficient manner.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by a recruiter a few weeks later. Overall process is HR Screen --> Practice Phone Case --> Actual Phone Case --> In Person Round 1 --> In Person Day 2. After the initial screener to make sure you're a fit for the position and vice versa, I was scheduled for the first round of phone interviews. A quick aside, I was told that the interview process is the same exact process as the standard Consulting process, so this is probably all one in the same. Anyway, the first step was a phone case interview with a McK alum that also comes with 1 on 1 practice phoner if you can schedule it before the actual interview - I highly recommend this as it was very helpful to get a feel for the questions that will be asked, the style in which they will be asked, and an actual person to talk to you about the responses that are expected. Both the practice and actual cases were pretty standard to what you can find in the online resources...not terribly difficult, a mix of 4 or so questions with 3 qualitative and 1 math (there may also be small math parts mixed into the qual sections, but nothing major). All the qualitative questions were pretty easy and answered at a high level...ways to reduce costs, increase revenue, target specific markets, risk mgmt, etc. Math question was pretty easy...if they ask you to estimate any numbers yourself (population sizes, total revenues, etc), try to make them easy round numbers to work with. Otherwise the math is high school level in difficulty, just be prepared to clearly walk your interviewer through your logic. The in person days are conducted once per month and are full days with a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews with several consultants throughout. Obviously the big downside to this whole process is it's longevity...especially for those of us who are currently working full time, making time to fit in all of these rounds is not easy. One last point to make...call me crazy or sour grapes if you want, but I got the impression that it's much more difficult to land a McK gig without a top 20 MBA behind your name. Even with a well known and respected b-school MBA, I feel like I was expected to almost be overqualified if I expected to get a 2nd look without having a Wharton or Stanford alum status. I may be completely wrong, but my word to the wise would be to prepare two-fold if you're in the same boat.

Interview Questions

• Referring to a particular industry and client, determine the potential market size and the best method to distribute their products.   Answer Question

McKinsey Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (San Francisco, CA) in March 2015.

Interview

Not very clear communication regarding interview times. Had 2 interviews and then was called by the recruiter and told the client went in a different direction and the position was not longer available. Not sure if I was let down easy or not. I put in a lot of effort going over cases and learning the McKinsey way to have it end so suddenly.

Interview Questions

• The interview asked questions about a case involving a company that processes Chickens. The problem was a weighted average problem.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

I had sent a resume and was contacted by an agency handling the opportunity. I was asked if I could do a phone interview that same day and said yes. What the agency prepared me for and what the phone interview person asked me were totally different things.

Interview Questions

• The first question I was asked was "What exactly did you find interesting about our company."   1 Answer

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was fast. It took four weeks. I had a lot of coaching from current BAs and they are all very friendly and helpful. The cases are not hard at all, but you just have to be strategic about the way you present it. Follow their logic is key.

Associate Interview

Interview

Three Rounds of interviews: 1st Round - test 2nd Round - 2 case interviews + fit questions 3rd Round - 3 case interviews + fit questions Read website which has extensive explanations of interview process and practice cases. Get a hold of business school case books for further practice and refinement of structured problem solving techniques. Practice doing calculations by hand, short cuts, and doing calculations in front of people. The feedback I received was that I was energetic, genuine, and seemed comfortable. Try not to be nervous. Also have structured responses for fit questions.

Interview Questions

• Tech company wants to enter the healthcare space. You have a meeting with the client next week. How would you think about structuring this meeting.   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus as an APD candidate (sciences phd), received invitation for an Initial Assesment and Interview Workshop (IWIA) including the McK problem solving test what was a long time after I sent in the application online. Invited back via e-mail the same evening for a first round interview. I was assigned a buddy from the IWIA who gave me some great advice for how to improve! Then the interview was two different people each with a personal experience and case section. I was called two days later (on a saturday) by an interviewer saying I did not move on but giving me, once again, some great feedback.

Executive Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Chicago, IL).

Interview

3 rounds, all similar "tell me a time when..." questions, but I brought a lot of notes and was generally prepared. People were very to-the-point and non-emotional. I couldn't read them at all! Turns out they loved me, but I was nervous afterwar.

Summer Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Three rounds of interviews, starting with the IWIA, then two rounds of case/behavioral interviews. The IWIA is a standardized test of sorts (practice tests available online). The test is fairly difficult, so study up. The second and third round interviews are a combination of case/behavioral interviews, two or three in a row. Your interviewer will drill down into you past history, so take some time to remember a few pertinent experiences, especially around teamwork and leadership. The cases are formulaic. They all involve structuring a problem, solving a math problem, and interpreting a series of graphs. Be prepared to talk about unfamiliar industries and to generate insights on a short timeframe in a systematic manner.

Interview Questions

• A certain town in looking to increase its Foreign Direct Investment. How would you go about doing this?   1 Answer

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Two interviews for first round, four interviews for second round. Each interview was an hour long - 20 minutes on behavioral and 40 minutes of casing. Behavioral questions are in-depth (e.g., you are asked to give very specific details). The cases are challenging and follow the format of the online practices cases. Best way to succeed is to practice casing using their online materials/videos.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Salary is comparable (if not identical) to other top consulting firms. I did not feel like I had any power to ask for a higher salary (nor did I feel like I needed one).