McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Sep 16, 2014
Updated Sep 16, 2014

3.9

Summer Associate (Management Consultant) Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

This was for the sophomore program. They send you a lot of material to help you prepare and put you into contact with a person working at McKinsey to help you with any questions. Then you have two behavioral interviews and case studies, followed by a test. If you pass that round, you are offered an interview at one of your chosen offices.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about yourself." Have like an elevator pitch or a short narrative that tells your story.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

McKinsey comes to my business school to interview candidates every year. They shortlist students for the interview purely based on their resumes unlike the other consulting firms who rely, at varying degrees, on networking. This shows how meritocratic they are. Even though the consultants who came to the school appeared aloof during the company presentation and networking events, they become extremely friendly, polite and humble during the interview days both at my b-school campus and during my visit to their NYC office.
    There were two interviews on campus and then those selected for the final rounds had 3-4 rounds with partners/principals at their preferred location. All the interviews are half behavioral and half case. In the campus round, the behavioral questions were more predictable - they wanted to know how you influence people or handle conflicts. The stories have to be detailed with focus on what you were thinking at that point and why you did what you did.
    The final rounds are very similar to the first rounds except that the partners have more freedom in the process. Be ready to talk about things not on your resume, about your passion, about your personal life as well (what I mean is, questions like biggest mistake, etc shouldn't or needn't just be a professional story). I think a BIG factor here is likability - the partners have to like you. Hence it becomes more subjective very unlike the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something not on your resume - it is hard because you don't know where to start and what is relevant. I am not sure I answered the question well.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online. The process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2010.

Problem solving test
    Case studies (2 days of 3 interviews each)
    Personal experience interview (2 days of 3 interviews each)

If you're an MBA, you may do a "Power Round" (all in 1 day on campus)
    Fit is a huge part of the interview -- show you're enjoying the case and enjoy talking to the interviewer
    Practice for the PEI -- as many people screw it up as mess up the case

Interview Questions
    • Always a case and a PEI
      On the case, be structured, creative, and don't mess up the math!!
      Practice the math -- I had math professors mess up the math in interviews because they hadn't practiced computation. It's just addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, and basic algebra, but without a calculator and under pressure. Make sure you tie the math back to the case -- what is the data telling you
        Answer Question
    No negotiation. Everyone starts in the same place US-wide

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Introduced to recruitment manager for initial casual chat re process etc. by a friend. Applied online a few months later. Interview - 2 rounds. 1st round - problem solving test (!!!!!) and 2 50-min interviews, 1 on 1, consisted of 1 behavioural qs and one case each. 2nd round - 3 50-min interviews with partners.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a day - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

I was brought in for an interview for a BA role in Boston, and ended up going through two case interviews and one problem solving test. Each of the three parts was an hour long, and the most intimidating one was the first case interview. I felt it was more challenging because I never did case interviews before (other than with peers). The second case went better, but my feedback, after being declined for a second and final round interview was because of my poor performance on the first case.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation in which you were faced with a difficult problem and how did you solve it.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
    First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
    Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in October 2013.

McKinsey's interview process is very selective. In fact less than 1% of the people who are interviewed end up with a full-time offer. For an associate, the relationship starts early on with coffee chats and dinners. You then have to prep for full case interviews and then go through multiple rounds of interviews.

Interview Questions
    Only some things are negotiable with their offer

Summer Associate (Management Consultant) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2014.

I spent several weeks networking with many people at McKinsey, getting to know the culture, the work-life balance, project placement, etc before I even submitted my application. After I received the interview invitation, I spent several additional weeks running cases with some of the people I had previously met, which helped me feel much more comfortable about the interview process. During the first round of interviews, they had me meet with 2 different people. One was a former associate and one was a current engagement manager. Each interview consisted of an indepth discussion about 1 job related experience I have had. They then went into a case, which had me develop strategies for the companies presented.

Interview Questions
    • The case used the iPad and made the exhibits interactive. It was very interesting, but it threw me for a loop, because of the way that the information was laid out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

interviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2013.

First round: two case studies by two different interviewers (senior managers).

Interview Questions
    • Cracking the cases were difficult and longer than I thought. Be prepared for the math questions.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question