McKinsey & Company

Updated Nov 17, 2014
Updated Nov 17, 2014

3.9

Intern Interview

First round interview is made up of a personal experience section (Tell me about a time when you encountered difficulties working in a team? What did you do to overcome them?), a case, and then time for questions. Most difficult part is the case, make sure to do live practices with as many people as you can to prepare!

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Applied online - process took 3 weeks. Interviews were very structured and case based. Interviewers were friendly and sociable, did not feel like it was a "stress interview". Communication was pretty quick, in terms of results after interview round and next steps. The group interviews (first round) were interesting in that we are thrown into a group of fellow-interviewees we've never met before and asked to solve a case. It was actually a friendlier experience than I expected.

Interview Questions
    • Business case with a difficult math question. It had a twist and I did not catch it right away. I tried to back up and recover, but I think the stumble affected my flow for the rest of the case.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Two rounds, first at the local office near campus and the final round at the office I was applying for. First round consisted of 2 45-minute interviews and final round was 3 45-minute interviews. Also had to take a test (PST) before the first round. Each interview consists of a case and fit portion.

Interview Questions
    • Cases were all pretty straightforward and nothing surprising if you've practiced cases in their firm format before. Grilled most in the fit part, they go very in-depth during the personal experience story.   Answer Question
    Could negotiate start date, nothing else

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

3 steps (post-resume/cover letter submission):

1) Problem Solving Test (math, charts, reading comprehension, very simple business concepts) & group case (check to make sure you don't have a horrible personality). Victor Cheng's online practice tests weren't very helpful, but the videos that came packaged with that are.

2) 2 interviews (~30% fit, ~70% case). The fit portion was much deeper than I expected, more details expected to be presented than I had prepared. You'll spend the entire ~20 minutes talking about ONE activity/challenge/event, and what YOU did. Don't expect a resume walk-through. Expect quotes from interactions "what'd you think?" "How'd they react?" "What did others in the group think?" "How did you convince them?" "How did you feel?". Cases were simple - same thing you can expect based on multitude of case books available on the interwebz.

3) 3 interviews, same (~30% fit, ~70% case). Fit same, case same with the following exception you'll see below. If you've read up on consulting interviews, partners sometimes throw a wrench into the case portion (perhaps on purpose, a stress test). Normally, you get standardized cases, pre-made charts, prompts that have been rehearsed and vetted dozens of times. Well, a partner may lead instead with "let me tell you about a case I did ~15 years ago". Not much background, no pre-made charts, etc. Whoo boy. Structure and organization wants to jump out the window - don't let it! Clarification and organization are key. Don't allow yourself to get flustered, or confused. If you're not answering questions properly, don't stay silent, let them know what you're thinking and why you're thinking it. They may try to stress you more (mine changed the fixed/variable cost ratio halfway through - at that point my mind was already gone). Oh, and always start off with the baby steps. Just because you know profit = revenue - costs, revenue = volume * price, costs = fixed + variable (and of course, who at this point doesn't know that), doesn't mean that THEY know that you know that. They need to see that basic level of structure, even if you've already skipped to drivers of revenue or cost.

Good luck!

Oh, and disappointingly, feedback from third round was "meh". Very general, not much actionable. One makes it to the final round of McK and goes "alright, I may not have grabbed this brass ring, but getting here means I'm sooooo close to a different brass ring". Well, they say candidates find feedback to be valuable in obtaining other jobs regardless of the McK outcome. I didn't find that at all, disappointingly. Everything prior to that was positive, but to get a "no offer" plus nothing that'll help me develop was a rather disappointing conclusion.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a "ridiculous" (in terms of magnitude) challenge that you confronted & then conquered.   Answer Question

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process is not a short one. It can expand for a couple of months and several contacts over the phone. It is mainly based on your experiences and case based. So be really prepared for the cases. The process is exactly what they tell the applicants is going to be. So do not expect any surprises just review all the materials they provide through its website and through your recruiter, study all the basic interviewing questions (tell me about yourself, how your experience relates to the position, etc). Be yourself, review your resume, gather and study all the material they provide and you will do fine.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter, set up for an interview, received a case buddy to study for the case with who came from McKinsey. All around lots of communication and helped with a lot of resources.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I initially applied for the McKinsey "Insight" program and was invited for a telephone interview (I submitted a full academic CV (4 pages) since they asked for it and I have a PhD). The telephone interview involved a small fit portion and a case for 30 mins. The fit portion went well but I bombed the case and was not invited for the program. I was disappointed but this failed interview led to full-time Associate interview in the Fall of the same year WITHOUT me having to resubmit my CV and hence go through a CV short listing process. Also, I was given an option to interview 1 month earlier than the regular fall interview process, which does not provide an advantage but you could have a early job offer, if you get it.

1st round (Boston): PST and 2 team cases. You can find information regarding PST everywhere in the internet and as mentioned everywhere it is tough and prepare well for it. Time management is key and make sure to answer all questions. The team cases were regular case interviews led by associates or senior associates from McK. Be proactive and enjoy the process.

1st round decision: You get to hear within a week if you get through to 2nd round

2nd round (Boston): 2 case interview with Senior Associates and/or Engagement Mangers and in a rare case with Principals. 45 mins long with PEI and case component. Not tricky cases if you have done enough practice. Be confident, be clear, be structured and do your math quickly and efficiently. For APD candidates they value your confidence and sharpness a lot.

2nd round decision: You will get to hear within 3-5 days if you get through to final round

Final round (New York): 3 interviews with Junior Partners (Principals), Partners and Directors (Senior Partners). Essentially exact same format as round 2 but unstructured. Hard to tell what they are looking for at this stage. Be yourself, enjoy the process, make it conversational and nail the math. Make sure your are confident and lively throughout this process. If you dont enjoy the interviews you will not enjoy the job.

Final round decision: You will get to hear the same day if you make it. If you dont hear the same day MOSTLY you did not make it, but still a small possibility.

Practice at least 50 cases before the interviews with people who know what the hell they are talking about and not random people

Interview Questions
    Nothing, amazing offer, took and ran with it