McKinsey & Company

733 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

Management Consultant Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview Details – The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Question – What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question

Palo Alto, CA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 months - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in December 2010.

Interview Details – Two rounds on campus, third round in the hiring office (all day)

Interview Question – Write equations to calculate online pricing for products sold as a bundle (versus individually)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation really. Was made an offer; had a choice on whether to accept or not

Actuary Interview

Actuary

I applied through a recruiter - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in August 2013.

Interview Details – An HR recruiter contacted me. I followed up an brief interview with HR by two phone interviews from people in the department.

Interview Question – Why are you seeking to leave your current position?   Answer Question

Chicago, IL

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through my school's job portal. Interviewed with McKinsey in January. Getting your resume shortlisted for the onsite interview is considered as round 1. I interviewed with them in Chicago in January. It's an associate role for APD (Advaned Professional Degree) holders.
The interview had 2 parts: Problem Solving Test (PST) and 2 Group Case interview workshops.
The math test involved calculations and time management is the key here. You cannot solve all 26 questions in the PST in the given time. Do not get stuck on any one question. I had 3 sets and I solved 16 questions confidently.
After this, we were divided into teams of 4 each and were assigned a Mckinsey associate to solve a case. We were taken into small conference rooms and after introductions, the associate explained us the case. We were given 2 sets of exhibits, one at the start of the case and another at the middle.
Each of us was cold called to answer one question per head pertaining to the case. The question can be a mathematical calculation or "what would you suggest the management in this scenario" type questions.
For the second case workshop, I was put into another team and we had a different associate this time. The process remained pretty much the same. Practice cases as much as you can, learn a few frameworks. The conference rooms are small and the associate can look into your paper work to see how you are drawing/breaking down information on the case. From my observation, they love it if you can clearly represent the information on the case in clear pattern on your notes.
When they ask you to say your observation on the exhibits, do not say what's clearly visible. Tell them something that's hidden in the exhibit but can be seen with a deeper observation.

Interview Question – None. Practice cases as much as you can. Prepare CAT (Common Admission Test) /GMAT Data interpretation questions and speed math. CAT is conducted in India for admission into IIMs.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant

Interview Details – The hiring and interview process was extremely professional

Interview Question – What would you do in a certain situation in regards to a "slacking" co-worker.   Answer Question

Engagement Manager Interview

Engagement Manager
New York, NY

I applied in-person and the process took 4 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2013.

Interview Details – Know your expertise and what you can contribute. Be very familiar with the culture and be prepared to show energy and excitement to be part of the team

Interview Question – Everyone has bad days, our clients do not understand as they pay full price everyday. How can you continue to give 150% on a bad day?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – negotiate for bonus, there is bump available in salary of at least 15%, ask for 6 mth review so that your next bump can come early

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – Recruiter for the local office reached out to my school and I was recommended through a professor. Did a phone case study screen which was fairly straight forward. Didn't have a ton of time to prep but did ok. 1st round interview consisted if 2 hour long interviews with two different people. The first half hour of each was behavioral where we delved into one anecdotal experience VERY in depth. I was not prepared for the level of detail they wanted me to come up with ( think very specific conversation details). Then the second half was a case study. Fairly straight forward if you've prepared for it but the math tripped me up big time. Best advice is to practice cases until you can do them in your sleep.

Interview Question – Market analysis for an online order and delivery grocery service to determine if and where they should expand in Europe.   Answer Question

Executive Assistant Interview

Executive Assistant
Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at McKinsey & Company in March 2014.

Interview Details – I was initially contacted by email to prepare for an online interview. The interview process was very simple. I was asked questions about My background and 3 genuine reasons I should be chosen for the position. I was also given the what if scenarios. I was placed on hold for 30 minutes for a response from HR. I was offered the position and accepted it immediately.

Interview Question – No one has ever asked Me during an interview to give 3 "genuine" reasons Their company should hire Me.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer was more than reasonable

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – I went through the standard 3 interview rounds for PhD potential hires.
Round 1 was the Interview Workshop & Initial Assessment (IWIA). For this stage of the process, I took an hour long standardized test and had two group "practice cases".
Round 2 was two one-on-one case+personal experience interviews.
Round 3 was three one-on-one case+personal experience interviews at what would become my home office.
After each stage of the process, I was given the chance to get feedback on my performance and talk with someone from the company. I started the interview process relatively uninterested in a job in consulting, but the people I met along the way completely changed my mind. I was extremely impressed by how friendly, helpful, and open everyone at McKinsey was throughout the interview process. The interviews were tough but fair, and I felt like I had a decent idea of what to expect at each round.

Interview Question – I spent time preparing to answer case questions, but I didn't spend as much time early on working on my answers for the personal experience part of the interview. After the second round, I realized the the PE portion needed plenty of prep to come out sounding coherent and polished. I'd highly suggest you come up with several stories about likely topics (leadership, passion, failure, conflict, etc.) and spend some time thinking through how you'd like to talk about them.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Implementation Coach

Interviewed at McKinsey & Company

Interview Details – about a total of 5 interviews. 3 phone, 1 in person (in chicago), and 1 final round in person in San Francisco.

Interview Question – the final case questions were a little tougher. however. I must say that mckinsey really does try to help you succeed (they help you practice etc...)   Answer Question