McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

3.9

-- Quant test
    -- Business case + personal interview
    -- 9 interviews total: 3 days with 3 interviewers each day
    - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
    - Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
    - Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit

Interview Questions
    • - Tell us about a time you demonstrated leadership
      - Tell us about a time you influenced your superiors
      - Tell us about at time you demonstrated entrepreneurial spirit
        Answer Question

Summer Business Analyst Interview

Interview process was very accommodating and courteous. Fantastic company with a great HR. Passed the phone interview, went to the office for second round. Fit and case interviews with an interviewer. Took the McKinsey test. Fit and case with another interviewer. Final round with MD.

Interview Questions
    • The cases are the most difficult. They can be about anything. Just have to practice and think quickly.   Answer Question

Agile Coach Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

If you are going to do any interview with McKinsey, make sure you do some research on case interviews before. I checked out a book I think was called "Case Interview Secrets." Do whatever it takes to prepare yourself. Don't just read what is on their website. The author of the above book offers a lot of extra help. Check it out.

Interview Questions
    • The case interview, all of the questions are difficult   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

McKinsey comes to my business school to interview candidates every year. They shortlist students for the interview purely based on their resumes unlike the other consulting firms who rely, at varying degrees, on networking. This shows how meritocratic they are. Even though the consultants who came to the school appeared aloof during the company presentation and networking events, they become extremely friendly, polite and humble during the interview days both at my b-school campus and during my visit to their NYC office.
    There were two interviews on campus and then those selected for the final rounds had 3-4 rounds with partners/principals at their preferred location. All the interviews are half behavioral and half case. In the campus round, the behavioral questions were more predictable - they wanted to know how you influence people or handle conflicts. The stories have to be detailed with focus on what you were thinking at that point and why you did what you did.
    The final rounds are very similar to the first rounds except that the partners have more freedom in the process. Be ready to talk about things not on your resume, about your passion, about your personal life as well (what I mean is, questions like biggest mistake, etc shouldn't or needn't just be a professional story). I think a BIG factor here is likability - the partners have to like you. Hence it becomes more subjective very unlike the first round.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me something not on your resume - it is hard because you don't know where to start and what is relevant. I am not sure I answered the question well.   Answer Question

Implementation Coach Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in June 2014.

I managed to get an interview with McKinsey through an alumni. I was very fortunate since McKinsey does not recruit at my school. However, since I did not want to pursue a career in consulting, I never practiced how to interview for a consulting role (ie. case study interviews). I ended up having to cram this knowledge in a week for my phone case interview and a week for my on-site interview.

Process started with a call with the recruiter. Everything was very courteous, professional and on a timely manner. After my call with the recruiter, I was set up for a practice phone case interview with a former associate from McKinsey. There I was able to mess up and received feedback on how to improve, Then I had my real phone case interview a few days later. It was pretty straight forward (read up on McKinsey's interview format, since it's a bit different than other firms). I passed that and was invited to go to Chicago for two case interviews and two behavioral interviews.

I flew to Chicago, where McKinsey put my in a nice hotel right by the office. They also had me set up a credit card so I can charge food and taxi rides on, which was pretty cool. Next day was my interviews, which again was the same format. 30 minutes behavior interview and 30 minute case interview with one interviewer. Then the same for the second interviewer. I messed up on the quant for my second interviewer (see below.) After that, I had to do my Problem Solving Test (PST), which was brutal. As far as I know and heard, everyone struggles with the PST.

Unfortunately, I was not invited back for my final on-site interview (with the directors and partners). They were quick to provide feedback (mine recruiter actually was late by a few days, but still within a week). Feedback was that I had solid stories to tell on my behavior interviews but was weak on quant.

Still, due to their professionalism and quick response, I had a positive experience interviewing with McKinsey.

Interview Questions
    • Case study: Where I was to determine how much one factory needed to produce X to have the equivalent cost to tons produced ratio as another factory. Graph was given of costs (fixed and variable) vs tons produced of both factories.   View Answer

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Got invited to apply through school University Career Center and the online career website.
    First round interview was in Chicago. Met with two interviewers, one Associate one Engagement Manager
    Both interview was an hour long, 1 behavioral question ( tell me about a challenging situation and how your react to the situation), 1 case study ( math + logic )

Second round interview was in office. Met with three interviewers, one Industry specialist, one engagement manager and a partner. Similar form and same type of behavioral question, but the case study was less structured.

One highlight about the interview is that you got assigned a "buddy" who is currently a BA or Associate from the office you are applying to after you entered second round interview.

The strucutre of interview was very organized.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions are structured, was surprised by one of the case study where I was asked about the basic physics concept.   Answer Question

Insight Health Care Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in May 2014.

Applied online to Insight Health Care. Submitted academic CV (they do not want a business resume) and personal experience story. The story is very specific - they want to know a time in which you influenced someone else and exactly what you did to smooth over a difficult situation. They're really looking for you to demonstrate four traits - problem solving, entrepreneurial drive, personal impact, and leadership.

Was called to have a phone interview. Very informal at first - the interviewer wanted to know about my background and why I was interested in consulting. Tried to weave my story together beforehand, which helped this come out more smoothly.

Transitioned into case portion. My only tip here would be to think out loud about your assumptions - my interviewed chimed in multiple times when I was missing something. I tried to be creative and show that I wasn't just regurgitating a framework.

Got an email the next week letting me know I was accepted into program.

Interview Questions
    • An insurance company is thinking of offering a new plan in a state marketplace (mandated by ACA). What should they be thinking about?   Answer Question

Management Consultant Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The interview was great. Described the position, departments, and kind of projects you'd working on. Asked about experience, successes, challenges, and next steps.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do with a client that has low employee/staff morale   Answer Question

McKinsey Solutions Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

2 phone screens, first with a member of the team I applied to and second with an HR person
    in person interview #1: 2 interviews with prospective center staff and manager, 1 interview with team member
    in person interview #2: 2 virtual interviews and one in person behavioral interview
    in person interview #3: 1 virtual interview, 1 in person with senior leadership

Interview Questions
    • In 90 seconds, give me a summary of why you want this job.   Answer Question
    Yes, got an extra 8K (+10%) one time signing bonus. Usually base salary is set, but signing and moving bonuses have some wiggle room

Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in April 2014.

Introduced to recruitment manager for initial casual chat re process etc. by a friend. Applied online a few months later. Interview - 2 rounds. 1st round - problem solving test (!!!!!) and 2 50-min interviews, 1 on 1, consisted of 1 behavioural qs and one case each. 2nd round - 3 50-min interviews with partners.