McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

3.9

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied online, received first round interview on campus. It consisted of 2 back to back one on one interviews. Each interview had a personal experience (telling a story to answer a personality question) and a case.

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied through my university, which takes part in McKinsey's formal campus recruitment process. The first round consisted of two back-to-back case interviews, which were about 45 minutes each. Those who move on to the next round are typically flown to a McKinsey office for interviews. Offers are extended after several rounds of interviews. Overall, the company's process is fair and transparent.

Interview Questions

• There were typical business cases; there was nothing unexpected. Each interview began with questions about how I managed disagreement in a group setting.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through campus recruiting from a target university. They had a series of events leading up to the interview including coffee chats with consultants and a case interview workshop. The interview was standard two interviews, each an hour long, split into personal experience and case interview. You're advised to use a different story for each interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Delve into a story where you had to persuade someone to do something. Develop a product strategy for a wine manufacturer and distributor.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted to set up an interview at the nearest office. Scheduled online and was interviewed by two different Associates. Each interview took about 40 minutes--both were extremely friendly and the environment was very relaxed.

Interview Questions

• Half was case interview, half was personal (going over parts on resume, etc.). There were no "brainteasers" or anything of that sort at all.   Answer Question

BA- Operation (Implementation ) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through email. Was contacted 2-3 month later. Was invited for PST, it was very hard. Practice online a lot ! the week after I was contacted and been told that I passed the PST and interviews are within 2 weeks. Day one I had 4 interviews each one had a case and behavioral part (about 30 case -20 behavioral). Day two, I had one intense interview, it was only behavioral (no case). questions were tough. Mainly about leadership and communication/presentation skills.

Interview Questions

• List and explain 5 different strategies to convince someone that your point of view is correct   2 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn, process was formal and professional, HR wants to make sure they are hiring the best and the brightest. I would have been what they call an experienced hire, meaning not someone straight out of undergrad or business school. I think the process for experienced hires is a bit more vague, and it seems like most people who land a job here get it through a campus recruiting program.

Interview Questions

Interview

I had gotten an interview through my school's on-campus recruiting program. The interview did not really deviate from the descriptions that I had found in various prep books. It consisted of two back-to-back interviews with different consultants. Each interview began with a heavily-guided behavioral question, in which I had to tell a story relating to a situation ("tell me about a time when you..."), and followed the storytelling with a case. The cases were pretty straightforward. There were a few quantitative questions in each case, but nothing more difficult than basic arithmetic. Each interview concluded with a chance to ask questions.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any curveball questions. Just do your practice cases.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in January 2015.

Interview

Standard, multi-part business case and experience interview focused on example management consulting situations and challenging situations from past work. Several components are assessed on each part, and process is repeated with slight variations across 3 interviewers over a 3 hour period.

Interview Questions

• What about your current role makes you an asset for the role to which you're applying?   Answer Question

Summer Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Washington, DC) in January 2015.

Interview

Round 1 interview Did 2 case + behavioral interviews Though I did quiet well both on behavioral and cases. It would have been better if I got feedback from my first interviewer who I thought was the one to ding me as my second case interview went really well. Everyone else was provided feedback on the interview but my interviewer didn't even after I emailed her asking for one. That ruined the entire process for me becuase I had really connected well with the company and wanted to get some honest feedback on what I could improve upon.

Interview Questions

• Stumbled a bit on the first case which included estimating an issue with one of the retail package products of a CPG company.   Answer Question

APD Summer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (Philadelphia, PA) in January 2015.

Interview

I applied online, sent in my resume, transcript and cover letter. I was pleasantly surprised when I got called back for second round interviews. That was a little confusing, but apparently I'm guessing my I skipped the first round interview because of my clinical background. They are very helpful throughout the process, you get assigned a "buddy" who worked with my schedule to practice case interviews, which I was really rusty at. The interview took 2 hours with 2 different associates. The structure was two case interviews and two behavioral questions. The behavioral questions were in depth stories about your previous experiences that showed leadership or innovative thinking. The cases were also not aligned with anything I'd ever done so it was difficult to come up with an answer off the bat. But overall, the interviewers were very friendly and it was a learning experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult situation that you faced Tell me about a time you had difficulties working in a team   Answer Question