McKinsey & Company

3.9

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I initially applied for the McKinsey "Insight" program and was invited for a telephone interview (I submitted a full academic CV (4 pages) since they asked for it and I have a PhD). The telephone interview involved a small fit portion and a case for 30 mins. The fit portion went well but I bombed the case and was not invited for the program. I was disappointed but this failed interview led to full-time Associate interview in the Fall of the same year WITHOUT me having to resubmit my CV and hence go through a CV short listing process. Also, I was given an option to interview 1 month earlier than the regular fall interview process, which does not provide an advantage but you could have a early job offer, if you get it.

1st round (Boston): PST and 2 team cases. You can find information regarding PST everywhere in the internet and as mentioned everywhere it is tough and prepare well for it. Time management is key and make sure to answer all questions. The team cases were regular case interviews led by associates or senior associates from McK. Be proactive and enjoy the process.

1st round decision: You get to hear within a week if you get through to 2nd round

2nd round (Boston): 2 case interview with Senior Associates and/or Engagement Mangers and in a rare case with Principals. 45 mins long with PEI and case component. Not tricky cases if you have done enough practice. Be confident, be clear, be structured and do your math quickly and efficiently. For APD candidates they value your confidence and sharpness a lot.

2nd round decision: You will get to hear within 3-5 days if you get through to final round

Final round (New York): 3 interviews with Junior Partners (Principals), Partners and Directors (Senior Partners). Essentially exact same format as round 2 but unstructured. Hard to tell what they are looking for at this stage. Be yourself, enjoy the process, make it conversational and nail the math. Make sure your are confident and lively throughout this process. If you dont enjoy the interviews you will not enjoy the job.

Final round decision: You will get to hear the same day if you make it. If you dont hear the same day MOSTLY you did not make it, but still a small possibility.

Practice at least 50 cases before the interviews with people who know what the hell they are talking about and not random people

Interview Questions
    Nothing, amazing offer, took and ran with it

Management Consultant Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

The process is not a short one. It can expand for a couple of months and several contacts over the phone. It is mainly based on your experiences and case based. So be really prepared for the cases. The process is exactly what they tell the applicants is going to be. So do not expect any surprises just review all the materials they provide through its website and through your recruiter, study all the basic interviewing questions (tell me about yourself, how your experience relates to the position, etc). Be yourself, review your resume, gather and study all the material they provide and you will do fine.

Summer Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Went through normal campus recruiting cycle; written test was just like they told us. We all took the test together and everyone felt it was very difficult! One interview on campus and a second round in the office location.

Interview Questions
    • Case interviews, nothing out of character; Case in Point was helpful (cliche, but true!)   Answer Question
    Not able to negotiate; definitely entering as a cog in the system

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Final (Decision) Round interview. 4 1-hour interviews, all one-on-one.

Came away satisfied with the experience. Assessors are skilled at making you feel comfortable; I felt like if hung out in the office for four hours, rather than feel like it just been grilled for that amount of time.

Structure of each interview:

5 minute intro, 15 minute Personal Experience, 30 minute case, 10 minutes to ask questions of the interviewer.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you dealt with a difficult team member.   Answer Question
    No negotiations allowed. If you ask for more money, they don't want you; to their mind, you should see compensation as secondary to your enthusiasm for the firm and to your own personal fit.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Philadelphia, PA

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

I applied to McKinsey through my university's On Campus Recruiting services. There was an information session in the beginning of the semester where they had nearly two dozen McKinseyites, including former summer interns, current employees, and former employees pursuing MBAs. The presentation featured a partner who showed all of the places around the world that she traveled to with McKinsey. There was also a panel of BAs who talked about their experiences with the firm. After the presentation, I spoke with an MBA student from Dubai. He was very intelligent and well-spoken.

Soon afterwards, I submitted my application, which was your basic Resume + Cover Letter + Transcript. After being selected for a first round interview, a "buddy" (a Business Analyst) emailed me to ask if I wanted to do a case interview. They also had a session for all of the candidates where they broke into small groups and ran us through a practice case.

The interview consisted of two hour-long interviews. They each started with a behavioral question where I had to tell a story about my personal leadership experience extensively. Then they went into cases. One was about a linens distributor, and the other one was about research at a university.

Interview Questions
    • What was a time where you where a group was underperforming and you helped turn it around?   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Was contacted by recruiter, set up for an interview, received a case buddy to study for the case with who came from McKinsey. All around lots of communication and helped with a lot of resources.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in September 2014.

Recruited on-campus, initial resume drop and many events to network with employees at McKinsey, then attended first round on-campus. 2 45 minute case interviews, each with a case and fit questions. Be prepared for interviewer-driven type cases about anything. Also, fit focused on only one extracurricular, and drove down to specifics of every action and conversation you had, so practice your fit well.

Interview Questions
    • Questions drove deep about specific experience and what you specifically did in each scenario   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interviewed as a senior in college. They expected that i attended the information session, which seemed sensible to me. The interview involved a case question, as well as ample time for questions at the end. The interviewer was just a few years out of college, and pulled from an office from the other coast.

Research Analyst Interview

They asked me three questions: why would you like to change your job? what types of tools did you used in one of my project? what questions do I want to ask him?

Interview Questions
    • what types of tools did you used in one of my project? they asked very specific questions   Answer Question

Summer Insight Asia Program Interview

Submitted resume and a 500 word essay online.
    Phone interview by an senior associate from Beijing Office.
    30 mins. 10 mins fit questions.(why consulting? why McKinsey? Why greater China? a leadership experience) 20 mins mini case (tech company expand into lower end market. )

Didn't get the offer, but was invited back to full-time interview in the fall.