McKinsey & Company Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

3.9

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through school. 1st round interview and followed by 2nd round with partner. 1st round was case based and also had behavioral component. Recommend interviewer led cases. 2nd round was more behavioral and some ad hoc cases

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

1st round PST and 2nd round onsite interview.
    1st interview includes PST and two group case practices. Seems that only PST counts for whether getting into next round or not.

2nd round included two sessions. 15 mins personal experience and 30 mins case interview. Mostly engagement manager will lead the case

Interview Questions

• How did you handle a party of multi-interest and multi-background?   Answer Question

Research Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY).

Interview

It was not the most structured because I joined as an experienced hire. You do get to know a good amount of people in the group before you need to accept/decline.

Interview Questions

• An impromptu case interview. But honestly do not worry about it because I don't think this was part of the normal process and I don't think they were being very strict in terms of getting everything perfect.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

The process was incredibly organized and fast-paced. I made it through the PST test stage, but unfortunately did not make it past the 2nd round regional interview stage.

There was nothing unexpected in the interview, it is exactly as they say it will be on their Careers website.

The feedback I received after not going on to the next stage was extremely helpful.

Interview Questions

• One of my cases was on banking. I hadn't practiced enough banking questions, and was a bit unprepared for the math.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied through university. Standard hiring process - Resume screening, first-round interview in the same city as the university (2 interviewers), second (3 interviewers)/final round (2 interviewers) interview on-site. Recruiter and interviewers were very professional and pleasant. Most of them down to earth. When opinions split in the second round, you can be moved to the third-round.

Interview Questions

• nothing unexpected. pretty standard questions. interviewers seemed genuinely interested in knowing "why mckinsey"   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

Applied on campus and got selected for first round interviews. Their interviews are on the longer side - 1 hour each - with about half being devoted to the Personal Experience Interview (mine were all on leadership and personal influence abilities, and they ask you specifically what you said and how the other party responded) and the other half to the case interview. I had a strange first round experience where my interviewers were very quiet, and when I got stuck once they let me talk myself out of the problem instead of offering help, which probably saved me.

Interview Questions

• How to make operations of a transport loading hub more efficient (accompanied by moving diagrams on an iPad).   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at McKinsey & Company.

Interview

I applied and went through three rounds as an APD candidate. I had a great experience over 8 interviews and the written Problem Solving Test. The first round was two group cases, the second was two individual cases, and the final round was 4 individual cases. Each individual case was accompanied by a behavioral interview as well.The people I interviewd with were friendly and the company covered all expenses during the interview process.

Interview Questions

• I was asked the formula DCF analysis on one of the cases. I did not know what it was but was able to do the calculation with some help from the interviewer.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation needed.

Associate Interview

Interview

First round onsite interview is in the office close to where you live, first one hour is the notorious Problem solving test, the questions are not so hard, but the time is so limited. Then comes group interview, one consultant led 5-6 interviewees in a case study, it's the typical command and control style, not hard if you prepare a bit, but obviously not everyone is prepared. They say the group interview is not evaluative, but actually they do somehow take it into account, I didn't do very well in PST but was good in case interview, so they passed me into the next round.

Second round was about 2 weeks later, they flew me to the regional central office, very fancy office at the top of a skyscraper in downtown, gorgeous view. Two back to back case interviews, each about 50 minutes, case is again command and control style, not hard at all, what matters is how you answered it, how you structured it, and how you communicate it.

Didn't pass the 2nd round, obviously competition was too extreme, but nice experience overall.

Interview Questions

• The questions are not specifically so difficult. I think how you answered and your behavior and impressions you gave to interview are more important.   Answer Question

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at McKinsey & Company in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through an employee referral. I was contacted by a recruiter who screened me over a 30 minute period, asking questions in regard to why I was interested in management consulting, my resume, my current position and why I was interested in McKinsey in particular. She then scheduled me for an over-the-phone coaching session for a case study. I was told it was non evaluative but that I should look over the cases on their website. I was not originally considering management consulting, and so had very little case preparation. I purchased Case In Point and reviewed and practiced 3 cases a day for 2 weeks, as well as completing the cases on McKinsey, Deloitte, and Bain's websites. I practiced 4 oral cases with friends/family. The coaching session went poorly. I struggled with the quantitative section, but being generally stronger in the other areas. I concentrated on quantitative skills for the next week before the evaluative case. The evaluative phone case was standard for McKinsey, I believe. The interviewer made no small talk, was not personable, and just wanted to finish the interview. He was not rude, but it was clearly an evaluation with little flexibility. I was contacted by the original recruiter over the phone 3 days later, to inform me that I had not performed strongly enough to continue to the in-person round. Overall the experience was positive and people were friendly. While I was upset at not having performed up to par, I was also aware that McKinsey & Co was probably not the best fit for me.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at McKinsey & Company (New York, NY) in November 2014.

Interview

After I sent my application for the associate position in LaTam, 1 week later I got an interview invitation from the campus recruiter in my MBA school (Philadelphia, US). I got an email with all the details about the process and even a couple of sample cases.
    The company organized a case preparation session with a current Manager who shared with me and with others, during 45 minutes, tips and suggestions to solve problem solving cases.

Interview Questions

• Problem solving cases - 4 in total
      Tell me a story about leadership in your last job

Answer Question